Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Wish me luck......

Old 12-31-2006 | 08:24 PM
In need of an AV.........

Wish me luck......

Tomorrow will begin a life changing event for me. I recently went to the Doc and he wore me out about my weight and overall health. I have now quit smoking. (I feel much better already). The diet begins in the morning.

I will start the South Beach Diet bright and early with egg substitute, 2 slices of canadian bacon, and Tomato Juice. YUM!!!! I will also walk in the neighborhood for 2.2 miles everyday. (The only reason the .2 is on there is because it is a good turning around point). This will increase as time goes on.

I will ask people to please not critique the SB Diet. I have always been heavy and I am really fired up about losing some weight this time. I am scared that any negativity might kill my excitement. I know there are a lot of opinions on diets, but I need a lot of structure. It is a challenge at this point. I am 6'0' 260 lbs and my chol is out of control. It is over 300. I want to see my children grow up and have decided to make a life change. I threw away everything that is not good for me today. That was an akward feeling.

Anyone have any luck on this diet? What worked well? Any advice?

Give me some time and I will post before and after pics.
Old 12-31-2006 | 08:30 PM
misanthropist

Combined with a lot of exercise I lost about 55lbs using a modified version of south beach

the exercise is very helpful and the elliptical machines helped me a lot to start as my knees hurt to run when I was heavy...

I have kept all but about 10lbs off for over 3 years now and it has forever changed my diet and when I eat what I eat...

You are easily young enough that you can do it

feel free to ask any questions
Old 12-31-2006 | 11:38 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

NEVER EVER GIVE UP.

you will never know what you couldve achieved until you reach your goal. you will know when you have pushed yourself enough. keep on going until you get that feeling.

i wish you the best man... it's probably not going to be easy but it can be done.
Old 01-01-2007 | 05:43 AM
USTHS76

Try incorporating milk into your diet as well. If you're lactose intolerant, eat swiss or cheddar cheese instead. I've read alot of good things about dairy products helping with weight loss especially milk. Goodluck!
Old 01-01-2007 | 10:10 AM
Team Owner

I dropped 25 pounds and 2 inches of waist in 2005 using just the SB diet. It does work well. In early 2006 I had gained back about 10 pounds, but that was partially because I was no longer following the SB rigorously. I started exercising (I now do about 4 - 5 hours a week of bike riding at >85% of my max heart rate) and took 10 of the 15 pounds back off, along with another inch of waist.

My starting point was 211 pounds, 38 inch waist (I'm 6'2"). I'm now 190 pounds, 35 inch waist. My cholesterol is 162.

You are doing the right thing - the diet should definitely help, and the exercise is key. But the real key is to make this a permanent change to your eating habits and lifestyle.
Old 01-01-2007 | 10:26 AM
I Know Right?

My SO lost a lot of weight on South Beach and has kept most of it off for a long time even though he no longer follows it as strictly. I did the same but not using any pre-prescribed diet method. It's a great feeling when you start seeing those results, best of luck to you!
Old 01-01-2007 | 02:37 PM
Go Giants

I started my weight loss on New Years day as well....Good luck.
Old 01-01-2007 | 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by 03typeS6spd
Combined with a lot of exercise I lost about 55lbs using a modified version of south beach

the exercise is very helpful and the elliptical machines helped me a lot to start as my knees hurt to run when I was heavy...

I have kept all but about 10lbs off for over 3 years now and it has forever changed my diet and when I eat what I eat...

You are easily young enough that you can do it

feel free to ask any questions

what were your modifications?

Thanks to all for the well wishes. Today has been good so far. Woke up at 8am and went walking at 8:05. 2.2 miles in 41 minutes. Breakfast was 2 servings of egg substitute, 2 slices of canadian bacon, and 1 glass of V8 (this is nasty stuff). Snack at 10:30 was skim milk mozz cheese stick. Lunch was a sald with lettuce, cucumber, broccoli and SB lite Italian, with grilled tuna. snack at 3 was celery stalk with low fat cheese. Dinner is ground sirloin burgers with dry ranch seasoning in them and steamed fresh green beans.

Yum Yum. I am going to try and make it 2 weeks without weighing. I was at 258 this morning. 199 is the goal. I broke 200 in HS. This should be interesting.
Old 01-01-2007 | 04:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow, good luck on your diet and don't give up until you are satisfied with your health. I will have a new diet as well, beginning probably some time this week. I find should find out Wednesday if I have Celiac's and will have to cut out gluten completely. I've been on a lactose free diet for the past 5 days, too, (doctor's orders) and am feeling slightly better from that.

At any rate, good luck and I wish you success. Getting healthy is more important than reaching a specific weight. Try not to get frustrated if it doesn't come easy, because it will take some work. Also indulge yourself a little bit once in a while (without going overboard) so you don't lose it and binge suddenly.
Old 01-03-2007 | 10:30 AM

Update:

Day 3 has began with success to this point. Same breakfast that I have been having. My snack was no salt nuts. Lunch will be chicken, broc, squash, zucc, onions stir fried with olive oil and a salad. Sugar free jello, of course. My afternoon snack is skim milk cheese. Dinner is chicken and shrimp (grilled) with steamed green beans.

The exercise has changed. I did walk yesterday morning, for 2.2 miles. However, after 4 knee surgeries, I have been in some pain. So, I joined a gym last night. I went this morning and did 20 mins 2 miles on the elliptical trainer. Now that is a workout. I will do cardio for 3-4 weeks, then add weights. I was going to avoid the weights, but from what I have read here and been told by different in shape people, the weights are critical. I am meeting with the gym owner in a couple of weeks to determine a plan. I will post the plan when i get it, for critique.

I still have not weighed yet, it is killing me. I am planning to stick to my goal of not weighing for 2 weeks.

On a side note, thanks for the few who read this. It actually motivates me to stay on it, being able to type about it.
Old 01-03-2007 | 10:40 AM
Stewie's Sexy Party!

keep it up man!...i personally have no experience with diets, but continuous exercise is as important as the food you consume. Ellipitical are definitely tough, but try every few days to go a minute or two more and eventually push up the resistance. Keep your mind strong, focused on your goal and you'll do great!
Old 01-03-2007 | 10:41 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I weigh myself everyday, twice a day usually. It keeps me motivated and gives me an idea of how my body will react to certain foods or lack or excercise (if I happen to miss a workout).

But whatever works for you. I'm down 25lbs since Sept 26, 06. No strict diet plan, just eating less and lots of excercise. I usually do 45 to 60 minutes on the eliptical every night. Good luck!.
Old 01-03-2007 | 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Awesome....keep your motivation up, man! Results may take some time, so don't get frustrated if you don't see what you want right away! And, after sticking to your diet for a little while, you should have less cravings for things that are bad for you (that's what happens to me).

Also, if you want some additional help, check out www.fitday.com. I know some people who used this site to keep track of their daily intake of foods and it worked well.

Last edited by LuvMyTSX; 01-03-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2007 | 11:56 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by dom
I weigh myself everyday, twice a day usually. It keeps me motivated and gives me an idea of how my body will react to certain foods or lack or excercise (if I happen to miss a workout).

But whatever works for you. I'm down 25lbs since Sept 26, 06. No strict diet plan, just eating less and lots of excercise. I usually do 45 to 60 minutes on the eliptical every night. Good luck!.
Ironically ABreece called me a "scale queen" when I said I weighted myself every day....
Old 01-03-2007 | 01:22 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Ironically ABreece called me a "scale queen" when I said I weighted myself every day....

I like to see results. I couldn't imagine waiting 2 weeks to weigh in. And I doubt I'd have lost 25 pounds, but thats me.

Its interesting seeing how you gain weight diretly after a meal or lose weight after a good nights sleep a good workout or taking a big dump. I lost a pound this morning in 5 minutes.
Old 01-03-2007 | 01:23 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by dom
I like to see results. I couldn't imagine waiting 2 weeks to weigh in. And I doubt I'd have lost 25 pounds, but thats me.

Its interesting seeing how you gain weight diretly after a meal or lose weight after a good nights sleep a good workout or taking a big dump. I lost a pound this morning in 5 minutes.
It was ironic because he blew some dude in a parking lot....
Old 01-03-2007 | 01:25 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Whiskers
It was ironic because he blew some dude in a parking lot....

And wasn't it the other way around.
Old 01-03-2007 | 01:28 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by dom

Old 01-03-2007 | 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom

Does it really matter.
Old 01-03-2007 | 01:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Does it really matter.

No. But it apparently did to Abreece.
Old 01-03-2007 | 06:41 PM
Team Owner

I'd like to go on record as a person who weighs himself every morning. If I weigh myself and then take a good shit I will weight myself again and take the lower number. I'd also like to go on record as never having blown or been blown by a male, in a parking lot or otherwise.

And to JWhite1301, keep it up! Establishing new habits takes work but if you do it right you will start to look forward to the workouts and the results will give you motivation to avoid what you should.
Old 01-05-2007 | 08:55 AM

Update: I took yesterday off from exercise, but stayed on the diet. I did weigh yesterday and I have lost 4 pounds in 3 days.

Back to the gym this morning. The first day in the elliptical was 20 minutes and 1.94 miles. Today was 21 minutes and 2.26 miles. I was sweating and breathing much more this time.

Oh yeah, still no smoking either.
Old 01-05-2007 | 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JWhite1301
Update: I took yesterday off from exercise, but stayed on the diet. I did weigh yesterday and I have lost 4 pounds in 3 days.

Back to the gym this morning. The first day in the elliptical was 20 minutes and 1.94 miles. Today was 21 minutes and 2.26 miles. I was sweating and breathing much more this time.

Oh yeah, still no smoking either.
Keep up the great work!! Taking breaks from exercise is also a good idea, so you don't get injured or burn out. In just a few weeks, you will start to feel soooo much better!
Old 01-07-2007 | 01:52 PM

Still going strong. The 4 pound weight loss was a fluke. I weigh the next morning and had only lost 2. I am now down 4 pounds as of this morning.

Diet is going well and still no smokes. The exercise routine is great. I feel alive every morning. Now I get up 1 hour earlier, go to the guym shower, and go to work, while drinking my V8. Eat healthy when I get there. The old routine was get up 5 mins late, shower, drink a large Mocha and smoke 3 cigs on the way to work and have a bacon, egg, cheese, mayo croissant once I got there. What a difference...........

Elliptical today was 23 mins and 2.63 miles. I keep adding a minute and going faster each day. I did take Thursday off and will take tom off. Oh yeah, 2 workouts ago I added some resistance training. I am using the ab weight machine. 3 sets of 15 at 55lbs. Not much, but you gotta start somewhere.
Old 01-07-2007 | 02:00 PM
Go Giants

Awesome....The biggest motivation is seeing results and feeling better.
Old 01-08-2007 | 08:40 AM
Banned

Keep up the good work man...and the updates.
Old 01-13-2007 | 03:34 PM

Almost 2 weeks in the bank now. I am down to 251 and have lost almost 2 inches off my waist/stomach area. The exercise is going great. I did 20 mins at level 2 on the elliptical and went 2.65 miles. I now feeling addicted to working out. strange, very strange.

The diet is going good, I am getting bored. I can make it two more weeks though, then comes the next phase, which allows a lot of food back in. oatmeal, fruit, whole wheat products, etc.

I found a great recipe, for anyone who wants protein and taste. (if you love pizza as much as I do)

Meat crust pizza

Brown ground turkey or very lean beef in a skillet with onion and garlic powder.
Drain off all fat and juice
Mix very well with 2 cups of Lowfat mozz chz
spray a cookie sheet or use a stone
form meat mixture into/onto whatever you are using. Form is very well with your hands
Add pizza sauce....I use homemade with fresh tom and no sugar at all
top with lowfat mozz again
top with whatever you want....
I use green peppers, onions, black olives, turkey pepperoni, canadian bacon, and fresh oregano and basil.

Bake at 375 for 15-20 mins.

It is damn good.

PS - still not smoking.....wow, I feel better everyday.
Old 01-13-2007 | 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

^^ Mmmm, that actually sounds pretty good! I can sympathize with getting bored on a diet - my lactose free (dairy free) diet is starting to wear on me. But keep up all your hard work!
Old 01-13-2007 | 06:02 PM
Team Owner

I am down to 251 and have lost almost 2 inches off my waist/stomach area..... I now feeling addicted to working out. strange, very strange.
Awesome results - and I agree about the addiction to exercising. I actually get anxious if I don't get my regular bike ride in.
Old 01-13-2007 | 10:30 PM
Stewie's Sexy Party!

keep it up man!...we're all rooting for you!...
Old 01-14-2007 | 02:37 PM

Ok...last night was my first slip...

I had some friends that went to the chinese buffett and invited me and I went....you can see where this is going. I did OK at best. I ignored all the fried food, all the meats in sauces, the egg rolls, the ice cream and the warm chocolate fountain the just installed (I was pissed).

I tried salad but their dressings all sucked. I had the grill guy hook up some peppers, onions, zucc, chix, and beef with a little garlic sauce and way too much hot sauce. Then I had a plate of Crab legs with some clarified butter. Then I had wonton soup without the wontons and added green onions....not too bad huh? The comes the fresh sushi bar. I ended up have 2 slices of a roll and 2 salmon over white rice rolls.

Needless to say I did not lose anything yesterday.

fast forward to today.....I am back on track now. I had 1 egg beater and canadian bacon for breakfast. 10 plain almonds for snack, salad with one turkey/swiss roll for lunch....

then the gym. I kicked my own ass today (IMO). 20 mins on the elliptical on the random hills selction. I made it 2.82 miles and burned 301 calories. This is way above what I have been doing. Then I did 3 sets of 15 at 75 lbs on the ab machine and 2 sets of 20 crunches.

Snack is going to be nonfat cottage cheese with natural PB and dinner is the chili....(with all friendly ingredients of course).
Old 01-14-2007 | 02:39 PM

BTW...I really appreciate those who read this and comment. It does mean a lot. My wife is pregnant, so weight loss is not an option (she is skinny anyway), so I am at this alone.

I also apologize if I post too much. I figure it is my thread and I can post if I want too. People can not read it they don't want. One benefit: When I lose 60lbs it will all be documented. Everyone says keep a journal, this is mine.

Thanks again
Old 01-14-2007 | 02:40 PM
Go Giants

Old 01-15-2007 | 12:56 PM

so, obviously I have stretch marks on my love handles.

Anyone else have this problem? Do they go away as you lose weight? Anything I can do to help?
Old 01-15-2007 | 01:31 PM
Go Giants

so, obviously I have stretch marks on my love handles.

Anyone else have this problem? Do they go away as you lose weight? Anything I can do to help?
The only think I heard to do is put creme on during the loss...Mine never went away.
Old 01-15-2007 | 01:44 PM
Intermediate

Having a tan helps hide them.
Old 01-15-2007 | 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by genlee
Having a tan helps hide them.

I am shit out of luck then.

Guess they will just serve as a reminder....
Old 01-15-2007 | 05:48 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

I am shit out of luck then.

Guess they will just serve as a reminder....
They fade over time. You're still young enough that they shouldn't be fully visible forever.

Also, I think dermatologists sometimes suggest Vitamin E cream or something like that to help with that process.
Old 01-15-2007 | 06:03 PM
Banned

Keep it up bro
Old 01-15-2007 | 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by youngTL
They fade over time. You're still young enough that they shouldn't be fully visible forever.

Also, I think dermatologists sometimes suggest Vitamin E cream or something like that to help with that process.

Thanks. I will check that out.

Quick Reply: Wish me luck......