Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Who's on a Diet?

Old 02-22-2005, 08:15 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by wstevens
I'm 5' 11" and 160. I eat pretty much whatever I want in moderation. I don't eat if I'm not hungry, and I don't stuff myself when I do eat. I don't like fast food, so I never eat it. I exercise my ass off.

I AM SO GREAT! I AM SO GREAT!

5'11" 160 seems like you must be a little skinny twerp
Old 02-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
5'11" 160 seems like you must be a little skinny twerp

Meh. Not really. I'm about 9% body fat. I run a lot, so I don't look like a body builder. I lift weights primarly for tone and to stay in shape, not bulk.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:29 PM
MIA

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I have lost 35 pounds since senior year of high school. I worked out 5 or more days a week, ate healthy, and unfortunately, I admit to using some diet pills. I also had two serious illnesses and one surgery that made me drop weight even if I didn't want to.

I would say that the best way to diet would be just to eat well and eat 5 or 6 small meals a day instead of the regular 3 and exercise often! Good luck!
Old 02-22-2005, 08:31 PM
likes it raw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cocaine/heroin abuse > dieting
More effective at least
Old 02-22-2005, 08:46 PM
I keeps it real

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
5'11"/6'0" and 195 pounds. Hmm.. you guys are skinny
I'm 5'10 235 but not fat. I dont see where i can lose 50 pounds and still be alive. Some of you dudes are crazy skinny
Old 02-22-2005, 08:57 PM
I keeps it real

Originally Posted by Minch00
I'm on a diet, and an exercise program.........I've lost 15lbs in a little over three weeks

Eating right and working out are really the best cures, I wish I had done them before.

On this topic, about how many calories per day should you burn at one time working out, I do between 700-1300 a day, usually over a three hour time period. Is that healthy?
Damn, I'd say that's almost excessive. Some people only have 1300 calorie a day of INTAKE.

At any rate, its not going to kill you so if you're committed, you'll soon be enjoying the results. More power to you.

Besides, you need to charge off your platinum V-card this Spring break
Old 02-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Pit Stop?

Originally Posted by GoDucksCLSPride

Besides, you need to charge off your platinum V-card this Spring break
Old 02-22-2005, 10:01 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
20 LBS since Jan 1st....Didn't we talk about this already
Old 02-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i watch what i eat all the time.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Minch00
I'm on a diet, and an exercise program.........I've lost 15lbs in a little over three weeks

Eating right and working out are really the best cures, I wish I had done them before.

On this topic, about how many calories per day should you burn at one time working out, I do between 700-1300 a day, usually over a three hour time period. Is that healthy?
3 hours of exercise is overtraining. Your body chemistry starts to do some funky things and you won't burn nearly as much fat as you want.

30-45 minutes a day is good with two rest days a week. Vary this depending on the intensity of your workouts.

5 pounds a week can be unhealthy. I seem to remember you being a big guy, and the heavier you are the faster you lose, so it might not be a big concern. But you're probably not eating enough or overtraining if you keep losing weight that fast for an extended period of time.

Also make sure you're drinking plenty of water. A gallon a day at least.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:00 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i needa gain some weight, ima stuff my ass full of healthy shit though, dont know what itll be yet but ima go bezerk one of these days and get that 15-20lbs im aiming for woot!

5'9
135lbs
Old 02-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
tmk, first order of business, lose the avatar...absolutely foul

next, not a diet, per se, but I generally eat constantly throughout the day to keep my blood sugar level constant and load up on protein before I do weights at the gym. Exercise 6 days a week and while I haven't lost any pounds, I'm replacing flab with muscle so it's all good.
What do you do at the gym exactly? Which days, which exercises?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

tmk, first order of business, lose the avatar...absolutely foul

next, not a diet, per se, but I generally eat constantly throughout the day to keep my blood sugar level constant
This is key but not so much for the reason you state (sugar level).

The main reason one needs to eat frequently during the day but with small portions and very high on variety of foods is to keep your metabolism at higher levels. It does help.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

and load up on protein before I do weights at the gym.
During weight lifting and after weight lifting (but before 45 min of a weight session of an average of 1.5 hours) will bring much better results than loading up on protein before a weight lifting session.

If you want to take something before a weight lifting session in order to help yourself is carbs and/or creatine. But it has to be taken very very close to the start of the session.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by tmk70
No more snacking and 4 course lunches for me anymore. I went to a wedding this weekend and my suit pants and shirt collar were TORQUED.

I gotta lose 30 before summer. 230 is unacceptable. :fatass:
Love your avatar and the blurb. George is getting upset!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Maximized
I am trying to lose 5-10 lbs. I weigh 190 right now and want to burn off some fat. I strarted working out once again after a five month absence due to an injury. I am actually gaining weight, but that's due to increasing muscle mass. I am the strongest I have ever been, just need to get cut.

The simplest way to put it:

1. Increase cardio exercieses (and not the billion hour sessions of walking on the treadmill - more on that if you ask)

2. Just eat a little less of everything while eating high variety of foods (nothing low fat) and frequently but with as little portions as possible.

3. Never starve yourself.

4. Eat your carbs (high glacymic index foods) as close to your cardio session as possible

Did I mention eat nothing low fat?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by CLpower
I somehow lost 12 lbs in vegas last weekend
Unless you weigh 400+ pounds, losing 12 pounds in a weekend is dangerous and it's mostly in fluids. Which is even more dangerous.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Bulldog01
I need to lose a few pounds. I ate a youuuge badoo this weekend and thought I was back over 200 fo sho. To my delight, I weighed in at 195 this morning. I want to lose about 10, though, and then start lifting a little.
That's another big misconception.

You lift first and you lose next. But never at the same time. Because they are counterintuitive. They have conflicting targets.

Believe it or not, the proper way to lose weight and keep it that way, will follow a period of mass gain. You have to gain weight in order to have better chances to lose it and keep it off for ever.

The best way to lose weight is to increase your muscle mass. So it's a long term process. 3 years on average if you're gonna have good chances to keep that weight off.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Adam_Schwartz
(along with hardcore cardio and lifting). .
What does that mean?
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I changed the way I eat. And I drink at least 60oz of water a day.
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by caball88
i think america needs to go on a diet. this country has an obesity epidemic going on and it looks like its not stopping.
Werd.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
What do you do at the gym exactly? Which days, which exercises?
I usually start my days with either 20 minutes on the exercise bike (usually when I catch up on leisure reading) or 20 minutes on the thread mill. I read somewhere that exercising first thing in the morning can help raise the metabolism to burn nearly twice the calories during the day. Even if that's not true, I find a quick cardio workout in the morning raises my energy levels.

After I get home from work, I do 3 miles combined with sit-ups, push-ups, dips, and a fair amount of stretching on odd number days. Weights on even number days consist of weights for all major muscle groups. On Sundays, when the weather is good, I either swim 30 laps in the pool or ride 30 miles on my bike; when the weather is foul I do a combination of a half hour run, half hour on the exercise bike, and a half hour on the rowing machine.

Also, to prep for my evening workouts, I hydrate constantly for the entire hour beforehand and on cardio intense days, I eat a cup of fat free yogurt half an hour before the workout; on lift days, I eat a protein rich Boca burger half an hour before the workout. Also, I try to eat my dinners within 30 minutes of finishing my workout and those tend to be carb-lite.

I allow one day of rest on Saturdays and allow one week between my lifts targeting specific muscle groups to allow them sufficient time to recover.

Started this routine at the beginning of the year and I've already put on a good amount of muscle and I'm a good amount more toned than I was when I first moved to the NoVA area.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Michiraces2much
I changed the way I eat. And I drink at least 60oz of water a day.
Water is king. The more of it, the better. I am convinced that I have been addicted to water for the past 5 years now.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by tmk70
I'm doing both....now get back to sniffing your co-worker.
Dieting while working out can be dangerous.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by phipark
I'm on a maintaining diet. To maintain my current weight.
In other words, you are not on a diet. Which is the best thing.

The first thing about losing weight is to NOT be on a diet. No food is forbiden.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by wstevens
Meh. Not really. I'm about 9% body fat. I run a lot, so I don't look like a body builder. I lift weights primarly for tone and to stay in shape, not bulk.

Another big misconception. Toning. There is no such thing as toning. Sorry to say.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I'm 5'10 235 but not fat. I dont see where i can lose 50 pounds and still be alive. Some of you dudes are crazy skinny

Sorry but unless if you have really high levels of muscle mass, at 5:10 and 235, you are obese.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Sorry but unless if you have really high levels of muscle mass, at 5:10 and 235, you are obese.
I knew quite a few guys like that, lots of upper body mass and all muscle. Keep in mind some people have HEAVY bones and I'm not talking Eric Cartman.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by ABreece
3 hours of exercise is overtraining. Your body chemistry starts to do some funky things and you won't burn nearly as much fat as you want.

30-45 minutes a day is good with two rest days a week. Vary this depending on the intensity of your workouts.

5 pounds a week can be unhealthy. I seem to remember you being a big guy, and the heavier you are the faster you lose, so it might not be a big concern. But you're probably not eating enough or overtraining if you keep losing weight that fast for an extended period of time.

Also make sure you're drinking plenty of water. A gallon a day at least.
Tell that to the SEALs on Hell Week.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Tell that to the SEALs on Hell Week.
There is a big difference between muscle fatiguing and muscle overloading. For the SEALs it's important for all to be exposed to the former and be good at sustaining such abuse. For athletes the former is the dreaded devil that leads to many bad things.

There are two simple things that make muscles grow the fastest (and get stronger): overload and intensity. Everything else is either not as efficient, or bad.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:40 PM
I keeps it real

Pics of me are all over this site. I can promise you i am not and you can verify by the pics.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The biggest mistake everyone makes is that when they want to lose weight they start dieting. Which usually, to them, means, they either ban certain foods, or eat a lot less. Usually the former.

The first thing to do when wanting to lose weight is actually to not diet. You need to get your butt to the gym and start lifting weights mostly. The right way. A period of weight gain might follow which is fine. Then you switch your workout to more cardio and less weights with tuning at the kitchen. It could get complicated from there, but:

1. It needs a ton of time, if you want to keep it off and no one has time
2. You will always need to be in some maintenance workout program and always watch what you eat, or you'll gain it all back. People dont have time to keep going to the gym for ever
3. People will never accept they might have to add weight before losing it. Mainly because they cant distinguish between good weight and bad weight.
4. People dont know how to do weight lifting sessions so that they get the most efficient muscle growth results (related point: they think toning is acutally real when it's a fallacy)
5. People dont have time to go to the gym, let alone keep going to the gym
6. People cant stay focused due to complicated lives we live these days.
7. People dont know how to add variety to their working sessions so they get bored and stop.
8. People indulge into eating instead of eating because it's a biological necessity. And with all the food "attractions" around us, I dont blame them 100%.

Etc. etc.

So we're all obese and our kids will need to come up with a billion gazillion dollars for healthcare costs when we grow older and have all the diseases caused by obesity and bad eating habits and zero excerisce. Hence go bankrupt.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Pics of me are all over this site. I can promise you i am not and you can verify by the pics.
OK give me an impression of your body mass. How much do you dead lift and how much do you squat? In total weight.

Or send pics.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I read somewhere that exercising first thing in the morning can help raise the metabolism to burn nearly twice the calories during the day. Even if that's not true, I find a quick cardio workout in the morning raises my energy levels.

That's not true. It depends on the person, their biorythme schedule and metabolism. It also depends on their schedule. Bottom line, the best time to exercise is whever you feel "fresh and rested". For me, that is around noon to one when I wake up at 9:15AM.

If I tried to go to the gym first thing in the morning, I'd do nothing there. Results would suffer by 50%.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

After I get home from work, I do 3 miles combined with sit-ups, push-ups, dips, and a fair amount of stretching on odd number days. Weights on even number days consist of weights for all major muscle groups. .
You do "sit-ups, push-ups, dips" as part of your weight lifting session?

What exercises when doing weights and what method? Reps/sets? Also how heavy on a % of 1RM?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:53 PM
I keeps it real

OK give me an impression of your body mass. How much do you dead lift and how much do you squat? In total weight.

Or send pics.
I havent lifted in about 6 months and i was never in the habit of maxing so i honestly dont know. I lifted for 5 years though on a 5 day regimend. Here is a link to my pic.http://img167.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...ge=00559rb.jpg I still look the same, slightly softer but not all to much different. Im 5'10 230 in this pic.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

After I get home from work, I do 3 miles combined with sit-ups, push-ups, dips, and a fair amount of stretching on odd number days. Weights on even number days consist of weights for all major muscle groups. On Sundays, when the weather is good, I either swim 30 laps in the pool or ride 30 miles on my bike; when the weather is foul I do a combination of a half hour run, half hour on the exercise bike, and a half hour on the rowing machine.

ALthough I dont understand your program yet (hence my questions), plus I have no info on overload and mostly intensity of these workouts, it is probable from the above, that you are overtraining.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I havent lifted in about 6 months and i was never in the habit of maxing so i honestly dont know. I lifted for 5 years though on a 5 day regimend. Here is a link to my pic.http://img167.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...ge=00559rb.jpg I still look the same, slightly softer but not all to much different. Im 5'10 230 in this pic.
First, no judging here, but:

You look like you have fairly high % of muscle mass but (and considering you say you're softer now due to not lifting for 6 months), there is also a fairly high amount of fat.

Again, that's a totally uneducated assesement based on the one pic you provided (which is not of the highest fidelity). But there is certainly room for some fat loss in your case.

I sound like Dr. Ruth for physical matters. I dont mean to.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:04 AM
I keeps it real

First, no judging here, but:

You look like you have fairly high % of muscle mass but (and considering you say you're softer now due to not lifting for 6 months), there is also a fairly high amount of fat.

Again, that's a totally uneducated assesement based on the one pic you provided (which is not of the highest fidelity). But there is certainly room for some fat loss in your case.

I sound like Dr. Ruth for physical matters. I dont mean to.
True, i do have a high amount of fat. That is the unfortunate reality of quiting my program cold turkey after 5 years of commitment.

According to the BMI, I am obese. However, my softness hasnt turned into a belly or anything else we would typically associate with being aesthetically fat.

So yes, medically, I am probably obese. Laymans aesthetic judgment, I'm just a big mofo.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:04 AM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets all get on a diet and get to looking like this. LOL I saw this on a body building site...Jesus CHRIST!