Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

whey protien really worth it?

Old 04-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question whey protien really worth it?

Ok so the guy at GNC talked me into buying this protien called AMPLIFY by a company called FDS. The stuff was so good that I just had to buy some. And of course they "rip you off" if you buy "small." So I got the 8lb BARREL and of course the second one was 50% off so I got 2 of them. That brought my grand total to about $170 .... for 16lbs of protien. The stuff tastes like yoohoo no joke ... Only has 1g of sugar. THAT was the seller for me because usaully I have to choke down protien powder drinks.

So my first question is, was this a good price? basically 240 20g protien 120 cal servings for $160-170

Second question is if I am trying to lose 25 lbs (of fat) do I REALLY need this shit? Rather is it a good idea to have it for better muscle growth therefore more fat burn?

There seem to be two schools of thought on this. I am starting to think that the school of thought that recommends this stuff is purely motifvated by sales ($$$).

Someone help

I need my six pack asap!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont buy whey unless your trying to sculpt yourself. If you want to gain muscle then Creatine Monohydrate is what you need and something to increase your metabolism to burn off fat.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Safety Car

if your goals are weight loss, then you have absolutely NO use for whey protein, let alone 170 dollars worth. you should click on the "Have you Ever been Robbed" thread and select 'Yes'
Old 04-11-2005, 11:22 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by ludachrisvt

Second question is if I am trying to lose 25 lbs (of fat) do I REALLY need this shit? Rather is it a good idea to have it for better muscle growth therefore more fat burn?
dude, i hate to say it but i think you got just kidding but damn thats alot for that stuff. I don't know how much this helps but my brother-in-law is an amateur body builder and he has that same crap in the big barrels like you said so i guess it's for muscle growth good luck on the whole weight loss thing....
Old 04-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Pro

I need my six pack asap!!!
Who told u gaining weight would get you a 6 pack? Tone your abs and run like a mother fucker. I've been running 2 miles a day, it's been showin. And yes you got robbed
Old 04-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
$170!

I get mine at costco, 6lbs for $20.

and like escarbonie said, there is no reason to take protein for weight loss.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Pro

i also try to stick with the natural proteins like chicken, fish, meat. low carb diet is and helps with muscle growth if u workout daily
Old 04-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Flap.

protein is part of a good diet, and if you are going to be adding mass at all you need some in your diet, maybe not the 1-2g per lb of weight that someone bulking might need, but still protein is good, mix it with steel cut oats (great carbs) and ice... for a great shake.

Spot reducing is bullshit.

Doing crunches wont give you a 6pack. DO cardio, i like HIIT but do what you want. Count calories and see what your base metabolic rate is (#cals to maintain weight) then reduce intake to say 200 below that per day for a week or 2 and see if that is helping, if no, go down another 100 cals, etc. till you reach your target. good luck.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:40 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Optimum 100% Whey Protein, 10lbs for ~55 dollars. Its #1 seller on Bodybuilding.com. I think you got ripped, but I don't know much =(
Old 04-12-2005, 12:00 AM
Flap.

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Optimum 100% Whey Protein, 10lbs for ~55 dollars. Its #1 seller on Bodybuilding.com. I think you got ripped, but I don't know much =(

yea thats the stuff i have
Old 04-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Wants an M3 in

the stuff tasted good ... usually the powders I drink taste NASTY I am taking it back at lunch
Old 04-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by esCarbonie
if your goals are weight loss, then you have absolutely NO use for whey protein, let alone 170 dollars worth. you should click on the "Have you Ever been Robbed" thread and select 'Yes'

To answer the thread question, I think this protein craze is dumb and a waste of money.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Stay or leave

Originally Posted by phipark

To answer the thread question, I think this protein craze is dumb and a waste of money.

I totally agree, I have been working out for probably 6-7 years now and I have not wasted any money on any supplements. I'm not doubting that they help or work, I just figure my body can get whatever it needs from natural food. Plus I love to eat so why not just get it that way, its cheaper and easier.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:12 AM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Your first mistake was going to GNC. Not only are they overpriced, but their protein tastes like SHIT. Well, I don't know about that kind, but I would never buy anything at GNC.

I agree with someone above, Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey tastes the best...for what it is. I drink strawberry, hated the vanilla kind. Just mix it with water and chug it down. Never liked "tasting" my protein shakes.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:12 AM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Just run and swim. I swear the best shape I was ever in was when i was running 4 miles a day and swimming about an hour a day. Now if your a skinny little punk then take whey if you feel like it. The only thing I take is ephedra and caffiene because I am a little fatty (I know there may be dangers but fuck it)

BTW dont take Creatine for abs, creatine makes you plump up a bit because its bringing a lot of water to your muscles so you won't be as cut. You can take it to get big but you have to stop to really get cut up as possible.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Meat stick

Received 229 Likes on 97 Posts
OK, so this is from a molecular biologist with a dietician for wife (yeah, dinner time at our house sucks ):

Why the hell would you take in extra calories if you are trying to lose weight? Makes no sense whatsoever.

You need to eat food. Lower you intake of simple sugars, and increase intake of complex carbs (whole wheats). Make sure you get enough protein (just eat chicken), but make sure that protein is from a relatively low fat source (not bacon). Do cardio, and weights for endurance, not extra strength (i.e. lift high reps, not high weight)

Do not take supplements, other than a daily vitamin. Between your good food intake and what your body naturally creates, you need nothing else. Also, stay away from alcohol...it has the same calorie content per weight as pure fat.

Also, the previous post regarding basal metabolic rate is spot on....go to a dietician, and find that number out. It will give you a better idea of what you can eat and still have a negative calorie balance (unlike most others, who just guess)

Last edited by JaredGMS; 04-12-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Banned

Whey protein has one main use - post-workout protein source. If adding muscle mass is a goal, then post-workout meals should typically have easily absorbable proteins and carbs, such as whey or MRPs along with junk carbs. But all other meals should be whole foods IMO. Whey protein is derived from milk and is nothing really special, so I am not sure why you paid $170 for 16 lbs of whey.

Also, if you are trying to lose fat, then adding muscle will help as muscle is a natural fat burner. So to those saying protein is not needed for fat loss, you are not correct. Fat loss and muscle gain diets are not too different from one another, with the exception of the AMOUNT of food you eat.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

have to watch out for whey protein... as soon as you stop working out you will start putting on weight..

too much of anything is bad for you.. and Whey is hard on your kidneys... prolonged use of it or any substance will have negative affects on your internal organs.

When I was using creatine in college I always noticed an irregular heart beat... the whey gave me mass..

I use Designer Whey.. chocolate.. mix it with 2% milk...
Old 04-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Banned

Well, if you stop working out and don't adjust your caloric intake then it would make sense to gain fat, regardless of what you are eating.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Flap.

Originally Posted by Smitty

When I was using creatine in college I always noticed an irregular heart beat... the whey gave me mass..

creatine has not been proven to have any negitive sides. (esp. not ones as bad as heart problems) as long as you drink water and are generally healthy creatine can be a wonderful supplement. I just did a 8 week cycle of Creatine Ethyl Ester (on a a MAX-OT program) and made some great gains (bench press max went from 300 -> 355, shirts stopped fitting). I was also told that a recent study showed that creatine intake was good for your brain.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Revelation 3:15-17

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
$170!

I get mine at costco, 6lbs for $20.

and like escarbonie said, there is no reason to take protein for weight loss.

This confirms the ownage.

If you're trying to lose weight eat healthy and do lots of cardio and should see good results.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Hobo
creatine has not been proven to have any negitive sides. (esp. not ones as bad as heart problems) as long as you drink water and are generally healthy creatine can be a wonderful supplement. I just did a 8 week cycle of Creatine Ethyl Ester (on a a MAX-OT program) and made some great gains (bench press max went from 300 -> 355, shirts stopped fitting). I was also told that a recent study showed that creatine intake was good for your brain.

when I was taking it 4+ years ago there were no studies done at the time...
But I know what it did to my body and it caused me some concern.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

$17 for 12 pieces of boneless chicken breast at costco.

There goes my protein.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:00 PM
Wants an M3 in

what about CLA? Does that have an effect?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Flap.

when I was taking it 4+ years ago there were no studies done at the time...
But I know what it did to my body and it caused me some concern.

ive been taking it for about 3 years, and never had any problems
Old 04-12-2005, 01:47 PM
WDP Is Faster

GNC was the first problem. All those guys tell people to buy this and that and half of them don't even know what the fuck they are used for. I'm not saying everyone of them are like that..but they always try recommending teenagers to take ephedra filled supplements as one of the main supplements. You'll always get that one guy who says..." oh..i'm not allowed to do this but i'll give you a discount on NO2 and Animal Stak even though I'm not suppose to sell it to you. My friend is taking it right now and he's hella rip right now. He gained (fill in numbers here) lbs in benching in just 2 weeks by taking this." They won't even tell you what's in there until you pin them down and ask if they have ephedra in it.

BTW..you got owned by costco supplement buyer...gotta love costco haha.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Race Director

Whey protein is an easy way to ingest more calories from a lean source, and get your protein requirments.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

The stupidity in this thread astounds me.

Originally Posted by Xenogen
Dont buy whey unless your trying to sculpt yourself. If you want to gain muscle then Creatine Monohydrate is what you need and something to increase your metabolism to burn off fat.
No.

Creatine is good for extra muscle endurance in the gym but it alone will not give you muscle mass. Some people look bigger when taking it because it causes your muscles to retain more water, but that goes away once you stop taking it.

You need two things if you want to build muscle. You also need a surplus of calories - you need to eat more than you burn. A lot of those calories need to come from protein - its what muscle is made of. Something to help you burn fat will just make it harder to stay in that caloric surplus, it wont' help you build muscle at all.

Whey is good for both losing fat and building mass. It's an easy way to ensure you have easily-absorbed protein in your diet for maintaining muscle mass when cutting, and a great source of quality protein for building muscle mass.

Originally Posted by phipark

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
Whey protein is an easy way to ingest more calories from a lean source, and get your protein requirments.

If you take it just to take it you deserve to waste your money. Whey has been a staple of bodybuilding diets for YEARS. When used properly it is the best supplement out there.
Originally Posted by FastAcura
Your first mistake was going to GNC. Not only are they overpriced, but their protein tastes like SHIT. Well, I don't know about that kind, but I would never buy anything at GNC.

I agree with someone above, Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey tastes the best...for what it is. I drink strawberry, hated the vanilla kind. Just mix it with water and chug it down. Never liked "tasting" my protein shakes.
I'm betting the protein he got was protein and a bunch of other shit, too, especially if it tastes good. A good rule of thumb with whey is that if it actually tastes good there something in there you don't want in your body.

If you can, take that shit back NOW and order some optimum nutrition 100% whey (NOT 100% natural) from 1fast400.com.

Last edited by ABreece; 04-12-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

have to watch out for whey protein... as soon as you stop working out you will start putting on weight..
That's because you stop working out, not because you stop taking whey.

too much of anything is bad for you.. and Whey is hard on your kidneys... prolonged use of it or any substance will have negative affects on your internal organs.
Whey is harmless. If you eat it and only it, yeah, that's not doing your body any favors. But it's just protein.

I use Designer Whey.. chocolate.. mix it with 2% milk...
Your creatine had something other than pure creatine in it.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Wants an M3 in

ABreece it tasted awesome ... like a watered down yoohoo. It only had 1g of sugars 120 cal 20 g protien ... it did however have 50mg of cholesterol ... I thought that was kind of high? Maybe I am wrong but thats 1/6 of ur allowable intake of cholesterol a day. Also they said it tasted better because it was "cold filtered." They said that meant it was dryed naturally and not heated. Alot of the cheaper stuff is heated so some of it burns. That makes it contain some ash which obviously tastes like ass ... I just baught it bc it was so tastey mmmm .... anywho I returned it ...
Old 04-13-2005, 09:18 AM
Suzuka Master

ABreece it tasted awesome ... like a watered down yoohoo. It only had 1g of sugars 120 cal 20 g protien ... it did however have 50mg of cholesterol ... I thought that was kind of high? Maybe I am wrong but thats 1/6 of ur allowable intake of cholesterol a day. Also they said it tasted better because it was "cold filtered." They said that meant it was dryed naturally and not heated. Alot of the cheaper stuff is heated so some of it burns. That makes it contain some ash which obviously tastes like ass ... I just baught it bc it was so tastey mmmm .... anywho I returned it ...
Hmm, i'm inclined to think any GNC member is full of shit. You're probably right about the cholesterol, i've never seen whey with that much.

I actually found some whey that doesn't taste like ass. I haven't heard any opinions on whether or not it's really quality though.

The only downside is its about twice as expensive as ON whey. http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=1524.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Drifting

Damn man, if you want to lose fat, like most people already said, it would be harder to do if you take protien on top of your meals. I you want to gain muscle than it definitely could help but you can't burn fat and gain muscle at the same time. I used the protien/creatine combination and gained 15lbs of muscle. It's funny though, I used to have to work my ass off to gain wieght, now I am trying to get a six pack like you.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Also, stay away from alcohol...it has the same calorie content per weight as pure fat.

what about the "Light" beers.... and what about liquor?
Old 04-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

Are there any decent and modern books on working out? Something that covers diet, excersies, programs, routines, etc?

Everything in the library is from the 1970\80s.

Maybe an online guide or forum?

A dietician sounds like a great idea.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Bluto
Are there any decent and modern books on working out? Something that covers diet, excersies, programs, routines, etc?

Everything in the library is from the 1970\80s.

Maybe an online guide or forum?

A dietician sounds like a great idea.
Most dieticians don't know that they're talking about.

www.abcbodybuilding.com is my #1 site for info on everything fitness related.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by big mike 13

what about the "Light" beers.... and what about liquor?
They're all crappy, empty calories. Beer, liquor, wine, moonshine, whatever.

If you're serious about staying healthy, i find that setting aside a day where you eat whatever you want once per week works great. One day per week won't kill you (although two might ) and the psychological benefits will help you stay clean all week.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Safety Car

try adding real food to it, it makes it the bomb

I put
tsp honey
tbsp chunky peanut butter
1-2 bannas
oats
couple ice cubes
milk
sometimes other fruits I have like blueberries or strawberries