Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Vitamin Absorption

Old 08-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Making it Happen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vitamin Absorption

So along with my exercise I'm starting to add a few supplements in the morning. For absorption purposes can I take all of these at once? Should I take them all a few hours apart?

Lisinopril (blood pressure medicine) I have to take in the morning, then I also will be taking a multivitamin, biotin, optiMSM powder, and fishoil.

Can I take these all at once in the morning or need to space specific ones out?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Just because of the importance of blood pressure medication, if you have any doubt or concern, I would check with your pharmacist before taking anything at the same time as your Rx medication. You certainly want to make sure that your BP meds are absorbed properly, consistently, and to its fullest.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Making it Happen

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Just because of the importance of blood pressure medication, if you have any doubt or concern, I would check with your pharmacist before taking anything at the same time as your Rx medication. You certainly want to make sure that your BP meds are absorbed properly, consistently, and to its fullest.
Correct, unfortunately I had a check up with my blood pressure doctor and when I asked he didn't know the answer and said he doesn't work with alternative medicines lol.

My pressure is doing well though, 120/72...although my CPK levels were very highly elevated. Took a blood test again to see if it was a fluke or not.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 AM

Yeah...I mean, honestly, who cares if the vitamins will absorb properly if taken all at once....the first concern should be if your blood pressure meds will be affected. Again, when it comes to mixing meds and vitamins, etc, I'd go to a pharmacist or two even after speaking with a doctor....docs deal in depth with medical issues, whereas pharmacists focus more on drug interactions, which is your main concern.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you dont need supplements if your diet is sound
Old 08-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
you dont need supplements if your diet is sound
Don't "need" but they can be a benefit.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Josh99CL
Don't "need" but they can be a benefit.
Not really. If your diet is sound - they are unnecessary. They have no added benefit.

real food >
Old 08-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
I think IS300eater would disagree with you based on what he stated in another posts. Being that I respect both of your knowledges, and I know jack about supps, I'd like to hear both points of view. I'll let you guys contact him if you want to.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Doom878
I think IS300eater would disagree with you based on what he stated in another posts. Being that I respect both of your knowledges, and I know jack about supps, I'd like to hear both points of view. I'll let you guys contact him if you want to.
Not sure what his take is on it - I just don't see where the argument has validity.

Supplements are meant to replace or make up for a loss meal - or lack of nutrition. I.e, your missing calcium, or fiber, or whatever due to poor diet - you take some supplements.

If your diet is overall sound - you are eating your meats,fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, grains ...etc - everything nature provides is plenty .

Problem is, the average person eats like shit.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Like those babybacks and birthday cookie cake I ate last night. God I'm stuffed.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Drifting

Even people that take time and attempt to eat healthy and generally do a good job at it are missing out on some things. IMO unless you have a private cook that prepares food for you and knows what he's doing you're going to be hard pressed to get everything you need (based off DV) through just meals.

I do agree with you though Ramatic that someone that puts effort into getting everything you need out of food can do it but there is going to be considerable time and $ expenditures in the process.

I take a multi-vitamin because even though I eat healthily as much as possible I know I'm not getting everything I could.

The $ investment on supplements is pretty minor unless you're going extremely high end and you can't really do anything except benefit.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Matt

Drink them with water, because Milk blocks Iron absorption thats all i got
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by STL+3.0CL
Drink them with water, because Milk blocks Iron absorption thats all i got
Speaking of Iron, I've heard some people take a supplement because it "has no iron" in the ingredients. Any idea of the reason?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Drifting

Biological role

Structure of Heme b

Main article: Human iron metabolism
Iron is essential to nearly all known organisms. In cells, iron is generally stored in the centre of metalloproteins, because "free" iron (which binds non-specifically to many cellular components) can catalyse production of toxic free radicals. Iron deficiency can lead to iron deficiency anemia.
In animals, plants, and fungi, iron is often the metal ion incorporated into the heme complex. Heme is an essential component of cytochrome proteins, which mediate redox reactions, and of oxygen carrier proteins such as hemoglobin, myoglobin, and leghemoglobin. Inorganic iron also contributes to redox reactions in the iron-sulfur clusters of many enzymes, such as nitrogenase (involved in the synthesis of ammonia from nitrogen and hydrogen) and hydrogenase. Non-heme iron proteins include the enzymes methane monooxygenase (oxidizes methane to methanol), ribonucleotide reductase (reduces ribose to deoxyribose; DNA biosynthesis), hemerythrins (oxygen transport and fixation in marine invertebrates) and purple acid phosphatase (hydrolysis of phosphate esters).
Iron distribution is heavily regulated in mammals, partly because iron has a high potential for biological toxicity[24]. Iron distribution is also regulated because many bacteria require iron, so restricting its availability to bacteria (generally by sequestering it inside cells) can help to prevent or limit infections. This is probably the reason for the relatively low amounts of iron in mammalian milk. A major component of this regulation is the protein transferrin, which binds iron absorbed from the duodenum and carries it in the blood to cells.[25]

Dietary sources

Good sources of dietary iron include red meat, fish, poultry, lentils, beans, leaf vegetables, tofu, chickpeas, black-eyed peas, fortified bread, and fortified breakfast cereals. Iron in low amounts is found in molasses, teff and farina. Iron in meat (haem iron) is more easily absorbed than iron in vegetables,[26] but heme/hemoglobin from red meat has effects which may increase the likelihood of colorectal cancer.[27][28]
Iron provided by dietary supplements is often found as iron (II) fumarate, although iron sulfate is cheaper and is absorbed equally well. Elemental iron, despite being absorbed to a much smaller extent (stomach acid is sufficient to convert some of it to ferrous iron), is often added to foods such as breakfast cereals or "enriched" wheat flour (where it is listed as "reduced iron" in the list of ingredients). Iron is most available to the body when chelated to amino acids - iron in this form is ten to fifteen times more bioavailable[29] than any other, and is also available for use as a common iron supplement. Often the amino acid chosen for this purpose is the cheapest and most common amino acid, glycine, leading to "iron glycinate" supplements.[30] The RDA for iron varies considerably based on age, gender, and source of dietary iron (heme-based iron has higher bioavailability).[31] Infants may require iron supplements if they are breast-fed.[32] Blood donors and pregnant women are at special risk of low iron levels and are often advised to supplement their iron intake.[citation needed]

Regulation of uptake

Excessive iron can be toxic, because free ferrous iron reacts with peroxides to produce free radicals, which are highly reactive and can damage DNA, proteins, lipids, and other cellular components. Thus, iron toxicity occurs when there is free iron in the cell, which generally occurs when iron levels exceed the capacity of transferrin to bind the iron.
Iron uptake is tightly regulated by the human body, which has no regulated physiological means of excreting iron. Only small amounts of iron are lost daily due to mucosal and skin epithelial cell sloughing, so control of iron levels is mostly by regulating uptake.[33] However, large amounts of ingested iron can cause excessive levels of iron in the blood because high iron levels can damage the cells of the gastrointestinal tract, preventing them from regulating iron absorption. The resulting high blood concentrations of iron damage cells in the heart, liver and elsewhere, which can cause serious problems, including long-term organ damage and even death.
Humans experience iron toxicity above 20 milligrams of iron for every kilogram of mass, and 60 milligrams per kilogram is a lethal dose.[34] Over-consumption of iron, often the result of children eating large quantities of ferrous sulfate tablets intended for adult consumption, is one of the most common toxicological causes of death in children under six.[34] The DRI lists the Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for adults as 45 mg/day. For children under fourteen years old the UL is 40 mg/day.
Regulation of iron uptake is impaired in some people as a result of a genetic defect that maps to the HLA-H gene region on chromosome 6. In these people, excessive iron intake can result in iron overload disorders, such as hemochromatosis. Many people have a genetic susceptibility to iron overload without realizing it or being aware of a family history of the problem. For this reason, it is advised that people do not take iron supplements unless they suffer from iron deficiency and have consulted a doctor. Hemochromatosis is estimated to cause disease in between 0.3 and 0.8% of Caucasians.[35]
The medical management of iron toxicity is complex, and can include use of a specific chelating agent called deferoxamine to bind and expel excess iron from the body.[36] .
Old 08-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Drifting

The 45mg daily adult UL scared me for a sec because I thought I reacalled my MV having 50mg... turns out I was wrong heh.

Supplement Facts Serving Size: One tablet

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Vitamin A
(40% as beta-carotene) 3500 IU 70% Vitamin C 60 mg 100% Vitamin D 400 IU 100% Vitamin E 30 IU 100% Vitamin K 25 mcg 31% Thiamin (B1) 3 mg 200% Riboflavin (B2) 3.4 mg 200% Niacin 40 mg 200% Vitamin B6 4 mg 200% Folic Acid 400 mcg 100% Vitamin B12 12 mcg 200% Biotin 300 mcg 100% Pantothenic Acid 10 mg 100% Calcium (elemental) 250 mg 25% Iron 9 mg 50% Iodine 150 mcg 100% Magnesium 40 mg 10% Zinc 15 mg 100% Selenium 45 mcg 64% Copper 2 mg 100% Manganese 2 mg 100% Chromium 100 mcg 83% Molybdenum 25 mcg 33% Chloride 90 mg 3% Potassium 99 mg 3%
Nickel 5 mcg * Tin 10 mcg * Silicon 5 mg * Vanadium 10 mcg * Boron 150 mcg * Guarana Blend:
Guarana Powder (seed), Caffeine 200 mg *
Old 08-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Certain vitamins/minerals that are not water soluble can be toxic if taken in large quantities because your body cannot rid itself of the extra. Some people also have trouble taking iron, specifically, because it can make you nauseated.