Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

SOBE = weight gain?

Old 06-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
SOBE = weight gain?

Last week I was the heaviest I had ever been in years, 185. I had no idea what caused me to put on so much weight because I always worked out reguraly and stayed away from fatty foods for the most part. The only thing that I noted that I did differently the week before was that I had about 3 bottles of SOBE fruit punch and a lot of gatorade. I kind of ruled out the gatorade because I drink that everytime I go to the gym, so that leaves the SOBE. I looked on the bottle and noticed that it had creatine written on it, and I heard that creatine makes you gain weight, I am not sure if they put creatine in the the drink or not, but even if they did I doubt it could be that much. Anyway it took about a week, but I finally got my weight down to around 175 - 178.

Could the SOBE have really caused the weight gain?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you lost 10 lbs in a week it definitely wasn't all fat weight... that also being said you wouldn't gain 10 lbs in a week just by drinking SOBE...

your weight can fluctuate from day to day, morning/evening etc... i don't think 3 bottles of SOBE would make that much of a difference.... but the creatine could have made helped you retain a bit of water

weigh yourself at the same time each day and then see what happens...
Old 06-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cibs
if you lost 10 lbs in a week it definitely wasn't all fat weight... that also being said you wouldn't gain 10 lbs in a week just by drinking SOBE...

your weight can fluctuate from day to day, morning/evening etc... i don't think 3 bottles of SOBE would make that much of a difference.... but the creatine could have made helped you retain a bit of water

weigh yourself at the same time each day and then see what happens...
I've lost 5 lbs between morning and night in one day before. have to weigh yourself at the same times.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:49 AM
I can't find my garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gatorade is when your like dehydrated like when youre playing sports, not when youre working out. that is one possible reason why and where the weight is coming from. because gatorade is full of sodium and other minerals that are meant to be put back into the body after it is lost from an intense sports or w.e.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Drifting

^^ apparently drinking gatorade DURING physical activity is alright, but AFTER you should be drinking water...

and even then if you're just @ the gym water is fine... playing basketball or hockey then i'd go with gatorade... cuz you're loosing TONS of electrolytes as you play...
Old 06-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I found SOBE to have a quite a few calories, so if you're drinking a lot of it, it will contribute to some weight gain. I try to stay away from calorie-ridden drinks...I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Drifting

^^ i usually drink one glass of OJ in the morning first thing, and then the rest of the day it's water water water...
Old 06-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for the tips so far yall.

I forgot to mention that only drank the gatorade when I was playing basketball after I finished working out. Usually when working out, I just drink water, if I have some on me.

But sometimes after I finish playing I was guilty of getting a bottle of gatorade before I left the gym, looks like a combination of that and the SOBE could be the culprit, I'll stay away from doing that from now on, and strictly drink Gatorade WHILE I'm playing sports, and strictly water for when I'm working out and other times when I'm just thirsty, and the usual one or two glasses of orange juice per day.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Not Asian

I would skip the SOBE and Gatorday and stick to water.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
sobe has a lot of sugar, unless it is sobe lean
Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

Water is the best to drink especially if you're on a diet... Is it true that tea helps to loose weight???
Old 06-06-2007, 10:45 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Give up Sobe.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ apparently drinking gatorade DURING physical activity is alright, but AFTER you should be drinking water...

and even then if you're just @ the gym water is fine... playing basketball or hockey then i'd go with gatorade... cuz you're loosing TONS of electrolytes as you play...

Unless your doing alot of high endurance cardio type training you don't need any of these drinks. I sip on a workout drink while weight training, but it is severely watered down. Just alittle to help with endurance.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
You seriously think 3 SOBE drinks put on 10 pounds? Is that even fucking possible lol
Old 06-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Go with water......sobe is packed with calories and sugar im sure.......I'd rather eat my calories then drink them......
Old 06-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by MikeCLS6
I'd rather eat my calories then drink them......
Old 06-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely give up drinking "sugar water"... I used to drink 3-4 cokes a day (some of 'em 20oz's) and switched to water... I've noticed it made a big difference... probably not as much as quitting Sobe would, but ever little bit helps...

The sugar and "empty" calories will kill you... and drinking water is good for you anyways...

Like LuvMyTSX and MikeCLS6 said, I'd rather eat my calories then drink 'em... I figure if I cut out the sugar water, I can still snack
Old 06-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're at the gym, doing physical activity and sweating, you're not losing electrolytes? But if you're playing hockey or b-ball, you are losing them? How do your electrolytes know what you're doing?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Drifting

most people @ the gym don't push themselves as hard cardio wise when they're just lifting weights...

I know i break a sweat but i've seen TONS of people that get a little damp and that's it...

I never said you don't loose electrolytes at the gym... i just said you loose more playing basketball/hockey/running a marathon than simply going to the gym and lifting some weights...

unless you're doing circuit training... which again most people don't do... not REAL circuit training anyways
Old 06-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Drifting

plus @ the gym i'm mostly concerned with tiring myself out, etc..

when i'm playing a game i'm concerned with winning - slightly different goals i dont' mind exhausting myself @ the gym, but i dont' like being exhausted during a game your performance degrades...
Old 06-08-2007, 02:39 PM
The hair says it all

most people @ the gym don't push themselves as hard cardio wise when they're just lifting weights...

I know i break a sweat but i've seen TONS of people that get a little damp and that's it...

I never said you don't loose electrolytes at the gym... i just said you loose more playing basketball/hockey/running a marathon than simply going to the gym and lifting some weights...

unless you're doing circuit training... which again most people don't do... not REAL circuit training anyways
If I pause at all between sets I will not break a sweat. If I alternate my lifting so that I do Bi's and then check and then back to bi's etc, or do ab's I'll sweat. When I do cardio I sweat pounds of water out. I'm with you on this one.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:40 PM
The hair says it all

Also, re-evaluate what you consider sugar water. I picked up this Tropicana mini boxed juice for lunch today, the Orange/Strawberry/Banana and it was literally sugar water with flavoring even though it was 100% juice. More sugar per serving than coke, 30 grams per 10oz. Juice tastes so good on its own why do they do this??
Old 06-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Python2121
Also, re-evaluate what you consider sugar water. I picked up this Tropicana mini boxed juice for lunch today, the Orange/Strawberry/Banana and it was literally sugar water with flavoring even though it was 100% juice. More sugar per serving than coke, 30 grams per 10oz. Juice tastes so good on its own why do they do this??
Yep! I HATE that!!
Old 06-08-2007, 09:56 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Definitely give up drinking "sugar water"... I used to drink 3-4 cokes a day (some of 'em 20oz's) and switched to water... I've noticed it made a big difference... probably not as much as quitting Sobe would, but ever little bit helps...

The sugar and "empty" calories will kill you... and drinking water is good for you anyways...

Like LuvMyTSX and MikeCLS6 said, I'd rather eat my calories then drink 'em... I figure if I cut out the sugar water, I can still snack

I generally follow that - but when it comes to beer....
Old 06-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Senior Moderator

What I hate even more is how high fructose corn syrup is in EVERYTHING. I swear, I can't pick up anything in the grocery store without it containing HFCS. That stuff is evil! It's even in ketchup and bread! I pretty much refuse to buy anything that contains it. Artificial sweeteners also. Yep, I pretty much stick to water since everything else seems "contaminated."
Old 06-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
What I hate even more is how high fructose corn syrup is in EVERYTHING. I swear, I can't pick up anything in the grocery store without it containing HFCS. That stuff is evil! It's even in ketchup and bread! I pretty much refuse to buy anything that contains it. Artificial sweeteners also. Yep, I pretty much stick to water since everything else seems "contaminated."
Same here. I read all the labels carefully. I try to stick with water, all natural juices, and Izze for my carbonation fix. Now and then, I break down and drink a coke, but it's considered a treat now, not a staple. Most of the time, I don't even want it anymore.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:21 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by wndrlst
Same here. I read all the labels carefully. I try to stick with water, all natural juices, and Izze for my carbonation fix. Now and then, I break down and drink a coke, but it's considered a treat now, not a staple. Most of the time, I don't even want it anymore.

Sparkling water doesn't work for the carbonation fix?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by subinf
Sparkling water doesn't work for the carbonation fix?
I like sparkling water okay, but if I'm trying to replace a coke, I want something with a little more flavor. I've got a sweet tooth. Izze is just juice and sparkling water, so I don't feel it's that unhealthy, though it does, obviously, deliver some calories. Sometimes I just mix sparkling water and orange juice 1:1.

Last edited by wndrlst; 06-09-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Trucki!!

Sometimes I just mix sparkling water and orange juice 1:1.
I do something similar every Sunday morning......its called a Mimosa
Old 06-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by lembowski
I do something similar every Sunday morning......its called a Mimosa
Those are yummy, too.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Luckily, it is very rare that I get a craving for soda. That's one thing that I never really drank much of, which I'm thankful for. I have other foods that I crave and have to watch out for....like chocolate and ice cream.

In the last few months, my new-found lactose intolerance has been curbing my intake of a lot of foods that weren't all that great for me and I'm eating a heck of a lot more fruit. I've basically been forced to eat even more healthy, haha.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Luckily, it is very rare that I get a craving for soda. That's one thing that I never really drank much of, which I'm thankful for. I have other foods that I crave and have to watch out for....like chocolate and ice cream.

In the last few months, my new-found lactose intolerance has been curbing my intake of a lot of foods that weren't all that great for me and I'm eating a heck of a lot more fruit. I've basically been forced to eat even more healthy, haha.
I've said it before, & I'll say it again: Chocolate makes my world go 'round.

I think one of the most important things about eating/drinking things that aren't so good for you, is to remember moderation. I'll treat myself, but always limit the frequency and the quantity.

Sorry to hear about the lactose intolerance, though like you say, it could end up being a good thing. I'd be really sad if I had to limit my dairy. Does the lactaid help you? Do they make lactose-free cheeses, like the milk?
Old 06-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

I've said it before, & I'll say it again: Chocolate makes my world go 'round.

I think one of the most important things about eating/drinking things that aren't so good for you, is to remember moderation. I'll treat myself, but always limit the frequency and the quantity.

Sorry to hear about the lactose intolerance, though like you say, it could end up being a good thing. I'd be really sad if I had to limit my dairy. Does the lactaid help you? Do they make lactose-free cheeses, like the milk?
Yup, I still have chocolate and stuff, but not a lot of it. I actually buy Lactaid Scoopfuls ice cream - it's lactose free and tastes just like regular ice cream. I also buy lactose free milk, and if I can tolerate cheddar cheese in very small quantities (although I don't usually take a chance and just take a lactase pill). The things I really miss are yogurt (used to be a frequent snack for me) and just not having to worry about what's in every thing I eat - including when I go out to eat. That is a major pain! I always take a pill when I go out - you never know if butter, whey, or some kind of milk is in anything.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:54 PM
The hair says it all

I became lactose intolerant about 2-3 years ago. I can have 2 slices of pizza and its not a problem, but anything more and any ice cream and milk is out. It really forces me to be a lot healthier. I still eat plenty of bad stuff but I feel its rarer.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Senior Moderator

I became lactose intolerant about 2-3 years ago. I can have 2 slices of pizza and its not a problem, but anything more and any ice cream and milk is out. It really forces me to be a lot healthier. I still eat plenty of bad stuff but I feel its rarer.
Wow, 2 slices of pizza?! I had a BBQ tonight and someone brought corn on the cob. I didn't even think to ask what was on it....and I paid for it all evening. Apparently, there was butter on it.

I became lactose intolerant 2-3 years ago also, but just narrowed down the problem earlier this year.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:50 AM
The hair says it all

Wow, 2 slices of pizza?! I had a BBQ tonight and someone brought corn on the cob. I didn't even think to ask what was on it....and I paid for it all evening. Apparently, there was butter on it.

I became lactose intolerant 2-3 years ago also, but just narrowed down the problem earlier this year.
Two slices of pizza feels like a brick in my stomach and a little runs the next day, but nothing too bad and def no nausia or instant death.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:20 PM
One on the right for me

I like sparkling water okay, but if I'm trying to replace a coke, I want something with a little more flavor. I've got a sweet tooth. Izze is just juice and sparkling water, so I don't feel it's that unhealthy, though it does, obviously, deliver some calories. Sometimes I just mix sparkling water and orange juice 1:1.
It took me a while to cut soda out of my diet. Looking back, I don't know why I drank so much of them in the first place. I'll occasionally drink a diet coke if there isn't anything else around, but I've become pretty happy with sparkling water.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Drifting

If I pause at all between sets I will not break a sweat. If I alternate my lifting so that I do Bi's and then check and then back to bi's etc, or do ab's I'll sweat. When I do cardio I sweat pounds of water out. I'm with you on this one.
Yeah, that's exactly how I am too... switching exercises will kill me - i'll be sweating, breathing heavily etc...

but just doing regular weight work i might get warm but i won't break a sweat..

depends on the individual...

and yeah i'd rather eat my calories than drink them too... but beer is the one exception lol...

water all day long is where it's at... i've given up on trying to read ingredient lists for juices and ish - i'd rather just have a glass of water knowing i'm not putting any crap or excess sugar in my body... save it for a dessert or a snack or something instead...
Old 06-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by subinf
It took me a while to cut soda out of my diet. Looking back, I don't know why I drank so much of them in the first place. I'll occasionally drink a diet coke if there isn't anything else around, but I've become pretty happy with sparkling water.
I used to drink tons of pop in highschool, looking back i was pretty unhealthy back then (eating wise) but I guess the higher activity level makes up for it..

It's really rare for me to have pop now, i have to either be really thirsty and have no options or just be craving a pop... once you've given it up though it's so easy to not drink it anymore
Old 06-11-2007, 05:02 PM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
I find it funny that people still use the word "pop"

LOL

Quick Reply: SOBE = weight gain?