Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

protein shakes

Old 08-30-2005, 01:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
protein shakes

im trying to get back to working out and never taken protein shakes.. whats the best stuff to get? is this good?

http://www24.netrition.com/designer_page.html

thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 01:08 AM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wrong forum biatchhh, haha jk but this belongs in health and fitness

But to answer your question, I think Optimum Nutriton 100% Whey is a good protein shake, it's pretty popular too.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:08 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
Isopure or Optimum Nutrition.....and ibtmovetohealth&fitness.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:10 AM
Burning Brakes

ops sorry..

is myopro good?

Last edited by Arram; 08-30-2005 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:40 AM
Burning Brakes

or is this the one to get
http://store.yahoo.com/vigorous/op100whey5lb.html
Old 08-30-2005, 01:54 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
Isopure or Optimum Nutrition.....and ibtmovetohealth&fitness.

triple

Optimum Nutrition seems to get the job done, and tastes pretty good too.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:50 AM
Flap.

ON 100% whey all the way
Old 08-30-2005, 05:21 AM
'Cooter

http://www.bulknutrition.com/?products_id=63
Old 08-30-2005, 05:35 AM
LOLZ McCain Sux

How much do you weigh? What are you looking to do? Protein shakes are fine but in a lot of cases are not needed.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's been a few threads on this already, do a search.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JesusJuice
How much do you weigh? What are you looking to do? Protein shakes are fine but in a lot of cases are not needed.
i weigh 157 pounds.. since im taking a weight trainnig class at school.. i just want to start eating more healthy
Old 08-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
When is a protein shake not needed?
Old 08-30-2005, 04:57 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Originally Posted by Whiskers
When is a protein shake not needed?
When is it really needed? It's only "needed" if you don't eat meat. If you eat meat then fuck it or if your trying to lose weight then fuck it. Protein shakes are fun but in my opinion don't do that much for you if your a big guy already. So I was seeing if he was a big guy or not. I drink a protein shake/eat a protein bar in a bluemoon just in case because realistically I am not going to drink protein shakes forever nor do I want all that sugar that goes along with it.

Then again I am no one to talk I take ephedra/creatine/baby asprin everyday...I am going to die LOL
Old 08-30-2005, 05:10 PM
Go Giants

When is it really needed? It's only "needed" if you don't eat meat. If you eat meat then fuck it or if your trying to lose weight then fuck it. Protein shakes are fun but in my opinion don't do that much for you if your a big guy already. So I was seeing if he was a big guy or not. I drink a protein shake/eat a protein bar in a bluemoon just in case because realistically I am not going to drink protein shakes forever nor do I want all that sugar that goes along with it.

Then again I am no one to talk I take ephedra/creatine/baby asprin everyday...I am going to die LOL
My understanding was that you should drink a protein shake after a workout. And yes, you are going to die.....
Old 08-30-2005, 05:16 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

My understanding was that you should drink a protein shake after a workout. And yes, you are going to die.....
eat/drink protein shake after workout. I eat some tuna or a nice chicken breast. All the protein none of the unwanted stuff
When I die you can have my 6 lbs of whey that's half done I have been nursing since 10th grade
Old 08-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Go Giants

eat/drink protein shake after workout. I eat some tuna or a nice chicken breast. All the protein none of the unwanted stuff
When I die you can have my 6 lbs of whey that's half done I have been nursing since 10th grade
Cool, free Whey
Old 08-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Suzuka Master

I go through 2 pounds a month

A protein shake is a good way to supplement your protein intake, and theyr'e easily absorbed by your body which has positive physiological effects for you post-workout and right after you wake up.

Oh and they're nice for hard-gainers because they don't make you feel nearly as full, throw in some peanut butter and mi lk and they're a great way to add calories if you need em.

Just keep in mind a protein shake isn't a magic supplement. It's a building block for your diet, and a very handy one. But just drinking protein shakes alone won't do jack shit for you.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:50 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Originally Posted by ABreece
I go through 2 pounds a month

A protein shake is a good way to supplement your protein intake, and theyr'e easily absorbed by your body which has positive physiological effects for you post-workout and right after you wake up.

Oh and they're nice for hard-gainers because they don't make you feel nearly as full, throw in some peanut butter and mi lk and they're a great way to add calories if you need em.

Just keep in mind a protein shake isn't a magic supplement. It's a building block for your diet, and a very handy one. But just drinking protein shakes alone won't do jack shit for you.
I always wondered something...why do skinny guys want more calories? Isn't it just going to be turned to fat? It's always funny when I see skinny guys in the gym while I am wishing I had there body fat their wishing they had my muscle...meh grass always looks greener
Old 08-31-2005, 08:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Arram
i weigh 157 pounds.. since im taking a weight trainnig class at school.. i just want to start eating more healthy
Eating healthy doesn't require you to drink protein shakes.

I imagine you want to gain weight. Step 1 is eat a lot. You've got to take in more than you burn in order to gain weight. A protein shake right after you work out and one in the morning will help you take maximum advantage of your time in the gym.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

I always wondered something...why do skinny guys want more calories? Isn't it just going to be turned to fat? It's always funny when I see skinny guys in the gym while I am wishing I had there body fat their wishing they had my muscle...meh grass always looks greener
Well, one of two things.

Some skinny guys think that they want to put on fat because they 're so skinny. They eat a shit-ton of junk food and get fat and end up looking worse than when they were thin. A lot of people i know call these guys skinny-fat. I'll try and find a picture of someone that looks like this, it's one of the funniest things you'll ever see.

Other skinny guys hit the gym hard while eating everything in sight and making sure they get enough protein. Their body might put on fat, but it'll put on muscle too. Remember the only way to put on muscle is to eat more than your body will burn. The hard-gainers just have to eat a whole lot more than other people.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:12 PM
giggity giggity giggity

Other skinny guys hit the gym hard while eating everything in sight and making sure they get enough protein. Their body might put on fat, but it'll put on muscle too. Remember the only way to put on muscle is to eat more than your body will burn. The hard-gainers just have to eat a whole lot more than other people.
Yeah. I burn about 2500 calories a day...so I need to take in more calories than that. That doesnt mean I need to eat junk food. I eat a lot of whole grain bread, bagels, and chicken, to name a few. They have calories in them too..I dont need to eat crap to get a lot of calories...I eat about 6 times a day, so that usually takes care of the 3-4k calories a day.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:16 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Not entirely true
I don't know the science of it but when I decided to lose weight and get stronger I rarely ate anything. I would eat cereal in the morning and dinner for lunch and not eat past 4 o clock. In 3 months went from benching 200 to 300 and lost 30 something lbs. I dunno all i know is I didn't stick with it so I gained it all back pretty quick since I dropped it cold turkey...this time around I am taking the slower approach.

Edit: I guess that wouldnt be the case with skinny guys though. I am a fat/muscular guy by nature so I guess it's easier for me to put on muscle...I dunno this shit confuses me.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Not entirely true
I don't know the science of it but when I decided to lose weight and get stronger I rarely ate anything. I would eat cereal in the morning and dinner for lunch and not eat past 4 o clock. In 3 months went from benching 200 to 300 and lost 30 something lbs. I dunno all i know is I didn't stick with it so I gained it all back pretty quick since I dropped it cold turkey...this time around I am taking the slower approach.

Edit: I guess that wouldnt be the case with skinny guys though. I am a fat/muscular guy by nature so I guess it's easier for me to put on muscle...I dunno this shit confuses me.
Newb gains and steroid users are the exception.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HQuakers
Yeah. I burn about 2500 calories a day...so I need to take in more calories than that. That doesnt mean I need to eat junk food. I eat a lot of whole grain bread, bagels, and chicken, to name a few. They have calories in them too..I dont need to eat crap to get a lot of calories...I eat about 6 times a day, so that usually takes care of the 3-4k calories a day.
I know people who literally have to eat big Macs and pizza in order to get enough calories to gain significant amounts of mass. Everyone is different.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:55 PM
Go Giants

I know people who literally have to eat big Macs and pizza in order to get enough calories to gain significant amounts of mass. Everyone is different.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

They're young and that won't last too long.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:16 PM
Go Giants

They're young and that won't last too long.
Im feeling pretty guilty over that frozen yogurt cone I just ate.....
Old 09-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Burning Brakes

well i finally got my 100% whey protein gold standard today.. how often should i drink this? i made some right now with soy milk and it tastes pretty good... and on the directions it just says get a tall glass and fill it with 6-8 floz .. how much is that? thanks
Old 09-13-2005, 10:18 PM
giggity giggity giggity

6-8 oz is about a small to medium-sized drinking glass. A beer mug is about 16oz, so half a beer mug.

Drink it in the morning when u wake up and after your workout.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:18 AM
Burning Brakes

do i drink it that day even if im not working out that day?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Suzuka Master

do i drink it that day even if im not working out that day?
Have it at least for breakfast on days you aren't working out.

A protein shake is just protein man, there's nothing magic about it. It's food. It's like having a boneless skinless chicken breast in liquid form. You drink a shake to supplement your protein intake in the most calorie-efficient way possible. Having one right when you wake up and one immediately after you finish working out takes advantage of how easily whey protein is absorbed, so it's best to have a shake then. But these shakes have to fit into your diet plan. Just drinking a shake for the sake of drinking a shake isn't going to do much for you.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Suzuka Master

I don't know what kind of protein shakes you're making, but mine don't have any sugar in them.

I drink shakes to meet my protein needs. Doesn't matter if I'm trying to gain or lose weight. Whey + water is pretty much the leanest way to get your protein. When losing weight lots of protein helps ensure you maintain your muscle mass.

Tha'ts not to say you're doomed to being a fat wussie if you don't drink shakes. I know plenty of people that are bigger and leaner than I am who get all their protein from solid foods. But a shake is the easiest, quickest way to get more protein in your diet.

Oh, and you know that the C in ECA is caffeine, not creatine, right?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

im mixing it with light soy milk.. is that ok
Old 09-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

im mixing it with light soy milk.. is that ok
Soy is lame, IMO. Stick with real milk.

If y ou're trying to gain muscle, I'd recommend drinking it with milk. If not, definitely with water.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:38 AM
minibike wheelie king ;-)

Soy is lame, IMO. Stick with real milk.

If y ou're trying to gain muscle, I'd recommend drinking it with milk. If not, definitely with water.
In another "Shakes" thread I remember you saying about soy protein is bad, or not a good as whey protein or something like that. Why's that?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:40 AM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Water + Whey protein and just chug it down.

The way I look at it, you're not gonna enjoy your shake with either water nor milk, so why waste money and calories by mixing it with milk? I just chug it down.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Gixxster
In another "Shakes" thread I remember you saying about soy protein is bad, or not a good as whey protein or something like that. Why's that?
The biggest reason is that soy is shown to increase estrogen levels in your body which hampers both muscle growth and fat loss.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

VPX zero carb protein
GNC 100% Whey
MuscleTech NitroTech (their RTD's are pretty good)
Old 09-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

just tried water instead of soymilk and dam did it not taste good.. im sticking with soymilk for now till i get some 2%milk
Old 09-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
use skim milk

Quick Reply: protein shakes