Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

I'm fat. Get me skinny. (need a workout routine)

Old 10-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm fat. Get me skinny. (need a workout routine)

I'm re-joining a gym as I didn't renew my membership in the past 6 months since my daughter was born.

Anyhow, I'm looking for advice on a good workout routine to lose weight. I'm 6'2", 218 lbs, not a ton of muscle mass on me but I am fairly strong/thick on average.

I want to lose weight in my belly, mainly, but also tone the rest of my body (burn away some fat to reveal the muscle underneath). Building strength isn't a main goal, but more of a by-product (secondary goal).

I have access to:
Cardio:
- elliptical trainers (love 'em)
- treadmills (not so much love there)
- bikes
- roads/pathways outside of the gym (can be fun but not in winter)
- stairmasters (blah)

Weights:
- freeweights
- cable machine
- barbells
- incline, decline, flat benches
- Machines (most of the typical gym machines incl. fly, chest press, rowing, squats, etc...)

Miscellaneous:
- mats
- ab-roller apparatus
- medicine balls (varying weights)

Can anyone recommend a workout routine that I can try to stick to? When I went to the gym previously, I mainly did some cardio (25 minutes, elliptical), and then some random smorgasboard of machines and free weights. Never really had a "routine" that I'd stick to.

Edit: forgot to mention I'd probably be going 4 times per week on average, and can still go for jogs/runs on non-gym days as well, until the weather gets too cold.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
bump up your cardio, 25mins isn't long enough to have much effect.

do an hour of cardio 4 times a week and keep your caloric intake the same and you'll lose weight.

fitday.com is a great site to track your caloric intake and burn rates.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:27 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Ask Whiskers - he may recommend to also increase your intake of Red Bull & Vodka.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Ask Whiskers - he may recommend to also increase your intake of Red Bull & Vodka.
Make sure it's sugar free red bull

Seriously, I have a sticky on what I did to loose 90 lbs here https://acurazine.com/forums/health-fitness-34/whiskers-weight-loss-advice-thread-319921/

But let me know about specifics questions...
Old 10-10-2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Astroboy
bump up your cardio, 25mins isn't long enough to have much effect.

do an hour of cardio 4 times a week and keep your caloric intake the same and you'll lose weight.

fitday.com is a great site to track your caloric intake and burn rates.
I appreciate the link, but I honestly cant find the time to input everything I eat... with a new baby at home its hard to find time to sh!t, shower, and shave... let alone anything else!

The hour or 1.5 hours I am reserving for myself at the gym are something I agreed to with the wife (I owe her 5 hours of "her" time where I babysit and she goes out to relax... LOL).

I agree that 25 minutes isn't enough time for cardio - I plan to bump that up in 10-minute increments every week (starting today), until I get to 55-60 minutes, 4 times a week. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
drink a lot of water. Do a lot of cardio, 4-5 times a week. Every week not only try to bump up the time but also the level of inclination, etc....depending on what you're using. Just keep an eye out on what you eat. Try to eat more fruits, vegatables, snacks, and small meals. In no time, you'll be dropping weight. good luck!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
I appreciate the link, but I honestly cant find the time to input everything I eat... with a new baby at home its hard to find time to sh!t, shower, and shave... let alone anything else!

The hour or 1.5 hours I am reserving for myself at the gym are something I agreed to with the wife (I owe her 5 hours of "her" time where I babysit and she goes out to relax... LOL).

I agree that 25 minutes isn't enough time for cardio - I plan to bump that up in 10-minute increments every week (starting today), until I get to 55-60 minutes, 4 times a week. Thanks!
Do 30 minutes of cardio a day a keep calorie intake less then 2000, and you will loose weight....
Old 10-10-2006, 01:40 PM
That's Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the important part is the calorie intake. good clean diet = 60-70% of it all.

Also, if you are going to do weight training, try to get proper training and technique teaching on compound lifts such as deadlift, squats, bench press, etc. As you seem to be on a strict time budget as well, compound lifts will hit up the most muscle groups @ the same time, burn more calories, and keep your metabolism high after your work out.
^You'll burn more calories and "get more done" doing compound lifts than you will sittin' there curling all day.

Also, for cardio, look into high intensity interval training, (run/sprint 20 seconds, jog 2-3 minutes, rinse and repeat for however distance you can do); it'll burn more calories and keep your metabolism high to burn fat also.

Good luck, watch that diet
Old 10-10-2006, 02:09 PM

I've read that running/cardio in the AM is much more benficial than later in the day. Particularily, before your first meal, it is the most beneficial to burn fat. Anyone have experience with this? I was thinking of the gym option, but I can't get there in the AM too easily because of work commitments.

However, running for 30-40 minutes in the AM is something I'd like to try getting into, and then once the weather turns too cold, going to the gym after work for cardio + weight training. So the first 8-10 weeks of my "new me" will be running in the AM and eating healthy. No gym, yet. Once I see results from the running, I think I'll also be more motivated for the gym work as I know I'm getting somewhere and the gym can only help that.

Opinions?

Thanks!!
Old 10-10-2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
Also, for cardio, look into high intensity interval training, (run/sprint 20 seconds, jog 2-3 minutes, rinse and repeat for however distance you can do); it'll burn more calories and keep your metabolism high to burn fat also.

Good luck, watch that diet
Yes, I read about that a while back and think it's something I could definately incorporate into a job/run once I actually get my ass outside and my feet in some running shoes. Sprinting one block every 3rd block, or whatever... sounds good?

And thanks!
Old 10-10-2006, 03:16 PM
RIP Dime...

Originally Posted by curls
I've read that running/cardio in the AM is much more benficial than later in the day. Particularily, before your first meal, it is the most beneficial to burn fat. Anyone have experience with this? I was thinking of the gym option, but I can't get there in the AM too easily because of work commitments.

However, running for 30-40 minutes in the AM is something I'd like to try getting into, and then once the weather turns too cold, going to the gym after work for cardio + weight training. So the first 8-10 weeks of my "new me" will be running in the AM and eating healthy. No gym, yet. Once I see results from the running, I think I'll also be more motivated for the gym work as I know I'm getting somewhere and the gym can only help that.

Opinions?

Thanks!!
While this is preferable, it's definitely not the be all/end all for cardio. In reality, any cardio you can do during the day is beneficial. That being said, I personally am a morning runner and enjoy starting out my day running. Be sure to drink plenty of water because your body is coming out of fasting mode.
Do yourself a favor though, and ease into running. Especially if you have not been doing any cardio for a while. Work up to 30-40 minutes running and feel free to speed walk if you can't maintain your pace in the beginning.
If you really want to see results, switch your running to include sprints and extended runs at a higher pace. Once you switch to more of HIIT cardio, you will not have to run for 30-40 minutes. 15-20 minutes will suffice. In addition, it's a great way to add some variety into your workouts.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:02 PM
That's Racist

lifting wise, I've been following a routine called Rippetoe's Starting Strength (or a slight variation of it; I'm going to run out and buy his book).

It's actually really simple and seems almost too straight forward and easy compared to my traditional chest/tri, back/bi, legs split.

Two sets of workouts to do: work out A, work out B.

A = Squats, 3x5; Bench press, 3x5; Deadlift, 1x5; Dips (+weight if possible) 2x8
B = Squats, 3x5; Barbell Military Press, 3x5; Bent over barbell rows (or powercleans) 3x5; Chin ups (weighted if possible) 3x5

1. Whenever you set foot into the gym, you make it a goal to increase your weight for every workout; whether it be 5, 10, or 2.5 lb. To ensure you have a good place to start your very first workout should start @ 60% ( I believe) of your 5 rep max.
^It's a humbling experience, but it ensures you build a good base and can constantly increase weight everytime you step in the gym. BTW, you do not increase weight on the 3 sets of 5.

2. You do about 5 warm-up sets where you do: 5, 5, 5, 3, and 2 reps. You do these warm-up sets with light weight (first set w/ just the barbell); and ramp the weight. It might seem like a lot of sets all together (8) but your warm-up sets should not hinder the progress on your working sets (3x5) @ all.

3. No accessory work is done @ all on the arms. Everyone wants HYUGE arms and think that it takes 18 different types of curls to get the job done. I admit I fell into this trap. I can honestly say my arms have never felt so "swoll"; seriously. @ the end of each lifting day my biceps are blown. Especially with throwing on the weighted belt and trying to go for those chin-ups. Although accessory work isn't FORBIDDEN, it shouldn't interfere with the gains of your core lifts.

-@ this moment, I've been doing this for about a month and a half and I feel my technique improvement and weight gains are significant. I'm currently eating @ calorie deficit right now cause I want to burn off a lot of pudge, but I believe this workout is designed for those that want to bulk, but more importantly, gain strength. So apparently, you should be eating like a (clean) monster on this routine =).

-I like it because I'm in and out of the gym in 30-45 minutes (when I'm by myself); even with 3 people, no longer than an hour. All you need to do is use the squat rack, which more often than not, everyone tries to avoid anyways.

-I also like this routine cause I'm able to know how much to increase everytime I set foot in the gym (instead of just increasing when I feel like it). I have a journal written down and have been constantly increasing my lifts. When you stall on your lifts, you re-set 15-20 pounds, then start up again.

-Sorry for the long post; I love my routine right now
Old 10-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Definitely 25 minutes of cardio won't give you fast results. I know you're very limited to your time, so that's for you to decide how long you should spend on cardio.

I weighed 190 lbs in High School, which was about a year ago, and it was due to fast food Go figure right?

Then, well things happened here and there, and I was just simply disgusted with myself, and decided to change myself, woke up at 6am every morning and did cardio around the neighborhood until 8 am until I had class at 10. Definitely gave me results in about 3 months, where as now, a year later, I'm at 145 lbs. It'll definitely take some time and dedication. Good luck~
Old 10-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally Posted by GreeneggsandHam
drink a lot of water. Do a lot of cardio, 4-5 times a week. Every week not only try to bump up the time but also the level of inclination, etc....depending on what you're using. Just keep an eye out on what you eat. Try to eat more fruits, vegatables, snacks, and small meals. In no time, you'll be dropping weight. good luck!
if you are just looking to lose weight and not body build yourself then just run. and drink water until you puke! lol