Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

how much do u bench?

Old 08-31-2005, 11:29 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftyFive
i started off real light, i just wanted to make sure i didnt hurt myself, i probaly coulda done more than 70 when i started but i wanted to start light, im still seeing good gains each week

no im serious, i really had no muscle mass at all that was 12 reps though

yeah but 3 months, no way you are adding that much muscle to go from 70 to 215. Not saying you are lying, just that you must have been selling yourself short at the beginning like fdl said.

215 is your max now I'm assuming, not reps?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
yes 215 is my max now, i probaly was selling myself short, but even my lifting partner is very impressed, he is a pretty experienced weight trainer and after working out with him for the first week or so he gave me an estimate of at least november to break 200, i was repping 185 a week or two ago, and he said next week he wants me to try 200 for one rep, did it without much strugle, then i went to 210, then 215, i got off the bench and was really excited, he was just like im impressed, trying to break 2 plates (225) before thanksgiving
Old 08-31-2005, 11:41 PM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
That's cause you're azn
nah im indian bitch...and i never worked out before haha
Old 08-31-2005, 11:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by yunginTL
nah im indian bitch...and i never worked out before haha
fyi, india is in the continent of asia
Old 09-01-2005, 12:20 AM
trill recognize trill

fyi, india is in the continent of asia
i put other instead of asian...unless they have a south asian haha
Old 09-01-2005, 12:51 AM
That's Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watch your lifting.

There's a couple of indian dudes over here @ UCLA that you can tell have been lifting and working for awhile on their physiques.

You could tell they were really skinny before, but they look nasty as fuck. Imagine, skinny indian dude that has a humongous chest, shoulders, and biceps.

Skinny legs, skinny ass waist. So disproportionate.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:35 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
Flat bench - I maxed out at 225lbs for 3 reps once. Had a spotter watching the last 2.

Because of freelance I get in and out of the gym in periods of time...sucks...cause I'll have just worked my weight back up to a nice level...then I'll get a job and be out of the gym for a couple weeks, then I'm back to square one. I also dont lift with a spotter anymore, so I chill on the super heavy shit.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:02 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't do straight bar very often, but my orm was 285.

I usually use dumbbells since I often lift by myself. My last set usually was 8 x 100 each dumbbell. That had been a goal of mine for a while. I actually just started back again after taking off a month. I had dropped off slightly but not too much. I've been lifting off and on since High School.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:34 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
^ if you are/were doing 8 x 100 dumbbells, I bet you could max more than 285.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:33 AM
misanthropist

unless he is really tall, or has long arms...

i am similar in that i can push 90-100 lb dumbbells for 6-8 reps

but i can barely do 285 for one rep on bar, shorter arms seem able to lift more on bar
Old 09-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fdl
I think you need to do both
My point was repping huge weight is useless if you aren't using proper form.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ABreece
Form > big weight.

As long as it's loose form.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

oh and i started lifting for the first time in my life 3 months ago, love the results im seeing, when i started i was benching like 70 and weighed about 140-145
At 3 months weight lifting you are close to completely untrained. If there is a man out there that lifts 1.5 times their own mass with three months of weight lifting, then they are spiderman.

Were you lifting weight before and had a break?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by UNeeKLiNG
when i did bench with the bar:

Flat and decline: started with 135...then 205 x 10...then 225 x 4....max was 255
incline....max rep weight is 205 x 3

now i got into dumbells

flat: 80 x 6
incline 70 x 10
decline 85 x 6

now i just have to keep it steady...

i also work in cables....but i'm the on and off type so i dont' see a big change in my body =0(

See these are the moves that will ensure slowed muscle growth.

Now why a smart guy like would go and abandon the barbell for cables and dumbells?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
yeah but 3 months, no way you are adding that much muscle to go from 70 to 215. Not saying you are lying, just that you must have been selling yourself short at the beginning like fdl said.

215 is your max now I'm assuming, not reps?
I AM saying he is lying. No doubt about it. He either has weight lifting experience from before or he is lying.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Moderator Alumnus

OK let's talk about this proper form principle here.

Let's talk bench pressing, flat with the barbell, all free weight of course, etc.

What is it that I CANNOT DO while lifting which would make you call it improper form ABreece?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:56 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gavriil
I AM saying he is lying. No doubt about it. He either has weight lifting experience from before or he is lying.

i tend to agree. 215 is ALOT of weight for someone who's just started, esecially someone who started at 70 lbs. Maybe he has extremely good genes Or really short arms?
Old 09-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by fdl
i tend to agree. 215 is ALOT of weight for someone who's just started, esecially someone who started at 70 lbs. Maybe he has extremely good genes Or really short arms?

Human genes wont do it in this case. Not even super short arms.

If he did not have weight lifting experience in the past, he did some type of sport that had him become very strong around the muscle group area engaged by bench pressing. And even then I doubt it, cos sports is a lot more about power than strength. No untrained man can lift 1.5 times their weight after three months of training (or even a lot longer than that), the same for 1 time their own mass. If you're Spiderman, then yes. BUt I doubt he is.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Luke 1:37

I see so many guys who basically throw out their backs trying to put up humongous weight. I am a firm believer of having proper form. To make sure that my lower back does NO work in my benching, I lift my legs up (like I was about to do an ab crunch). This stabilizes the lower back so that it forces you to use just your chest. It has worked wonders and I do all my flat bench workouts this way. I've seen other people starting to do this as well at my gym so I must be doing something right for others to join the band wagon
Old 09-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by virtualbong

I see so many guys who basically throw out their backs trying to put up humongous weight. I am a firm believer of having proper form. To make sure that my lower back does NO work in my benching, I lift my legs up (like I was about to do an ab crunch). This stabilizes the lower back so that it forces you to use just your chest. It has worked wonders and I do all my flat bench workouts this way. I've seen other people starting to do this as well at my gym so I must be doing something right for others to join the band wagon
There you go. I knew this form topic would lead to a long (civil) debate.

What you described right there virtualbong is improper form for bench pressing with the barbell on a flat bench. Your legs must absolutely be on the ground.

Here is the correct execution and form for benchpressing IN ORDER TO ACHIEVE MAXIMUM OVERLOAD which with max intensity will lead to max. stimulation:

Execution:

Lie flat on the bench with your eyes even with the bar. You should keep three contact points during this exercise. Your feet should remain flat on the floor and your butt and upper shoulders should remain in contact with the bench.

With the contact points in place you should keep a comfortable arch in your back.

Grip the bar evenly with your arms a little wider than shoulder width. Lift the bar off the rack and control the bar down to the bottom of your chest. With force, drive the weight back up.

Repeat this motion until you have completed your desired reps.

Form:

Your feet should be firmly planted on the ground. This will help give you a stable base.

To help you generate more power, drive through with your feet and keep a natural arch with your lower back as you push the weight up.

Keep your contact points set at all times.
Source: http://www.ast-ss.com/
Old 09-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
man, you guys are at it pretty early today

started at ~90 flat bench, now do 5 sets of 5 of 120-125lbs
Old 09-01-2005, 10:59 AM

There you go. I knew this form topic would lead to a long (civil) debate.

What you described right there virtualbong is improper form for bench pressing with the barbell on a flat bench. Your legs must absolutely be on the ground.

Here is the correct execution and form for benchpressing IN ORDER TO ACHIEVE MAXIMUM OVERLOAD which with max intensity will lead to max. stimulation:

Source:
http://www.ast-ss.com/
Is there any reason why my form would be incorrect? That should be the real question. I don't see why my form would hurt in any way and I still think that it'll help people who abuse the "correct form" that you described above. Just my

And my form is only for people who have been lifting for awhile and have a good sense of balance. I believe that the way I do it will maximize more muscles other than just your chest since you're working on keeping balance at the same time. Again, do what you feel works best for you. I used to have that form and found that this way is much better for me.

Last edited by virtualbong; 09-01-2005 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:25 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
Is there any reason why my form would be incorrect? That should be the real question. I don't see why my form would hurt in any way and I still think that it'll help people who abuse the "correct form" that you described above. Just my

And my form is only for people who have been lifting for awhile and have a good sense of balance. I believe that the way I do it will maximize more muscles other than just your chest since you're working on keeping balance at the same time. Again, do what you feel works best for you. I used to have that form and found that this way is much better for me.
Not planting your feet kills your balance, stability, and will leave you fucked if you ever run into a tight spot.

Its like the people who bounce the bar off their chest to cheat....seeing that pisses me off to no extent....I always hope to hear a snap and scream when morons do this.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Stay or leave

Did chest yesterday:

Flat-
145 for 15
185 for 12
205 for 10
225 for 7
165 for a burn

and I don't even bother maxing anymore. I stopped really lifting heavy once I graduated college, although I maxed and 305 and never hit my 315 goal. Oh well!

Incline- (I tend to stick to dumbells now)
65 for 10
75 for 8
80 for 8
Old 09-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I thought all your questions would be answered by the quote I pasted above. In any case here is what I have to add about the above:

Your form is incorrect because it does not ascertain overload. When you have to "fight balance" your muscles cannot overload. Maybe we need to discuss the meaning of overload for us to get in the same page. Maybe that's what's missing here. No time right now cos I got a chest day at the gym next (I will also be on vacation for the next two weeks so dont take it as I am not replying back)

Remember this. Whenever your form does not permit overload then it's too strict or wrong. But again, what you're doing will not HURT you in the absolute meaning of the term. It's just not envoking maximum stimulation which will lead to max muscle growth at a given time. Your muscles will still grow with what you're doing. But they wont as fast as if you followed the above form. Strength will also suffer.

You wrote:

And my form is only for people who have been lifting for awhile and have a good sense of balance. I believe that the way I do it will maximize more muscles other than just your chest since you're working on keeping balance at the same time.
Exactly the opposite happens. When you have to deal with balance, you isolate a given muscle group and you do NOT permit other (synergist) muslces to play their role and hence help you lift more weight which will lead to max overload.

See it another way:

Look at our bodies and how they are built and how they move. We are not made out of 90 degree turns and straight lines. The body is made to move in very complicated fluid motions that engage a very large number of muscles. Robots move in strict form due to their simplicity of design. That makes the need for what I call LOOSE form of paramount importance. You need to follow your bodies natural design of motion when lifting and not fight that (natural design of motion).
Old 09-01-2005, 11:53 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Gavril, i hear what you are saying. But by that logic would it not mean that the smith machine would be better to "overload" on your bench press? i.e. you would not need to worry about balance at all.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Stay or leave

I thought all your questions would be answered by the quote I pasted above. In any case here is what I have to add about the above:

Your form is incorrect because it does not ascertain overload. When you have to "fight balance" your muscles cannot overload. Maybe we need to discuss the meaning of overload for us to get in the same page. Maybe that's what's missing here. No time right now cos I got a chest day at the gym next (I will also be on vacation for the next two weeks so dont take it as I am not replying back)

Remember this. Whenever your form does not permit overload then it's too strict or wrong. But again, what you're doing will not HURT you in the absolute meaning of the term. It's just not envoking maximum stimulation which will lead to max muscle growth at a given time. Your muscles will still grow with what you're doing. But they wont as fast as if you followed the above form. Strength will also suffer.

You wrote:

Exactly the opposite happens. When you have to deal with balance, you isolate a given muscle group and you do NOT permit other (synergist) muslces to play their role and hence help you lift more weight which will lead to max overload.

See it another way:

Look at our bodies and how they are built and how they move. We are not made out of 90 degree turns and straight lines. The body is made to move in very complicated fluid motions that engage a very large number of muscles. Robots move in strict form due to their simplicity of design. That makes the need for what I call LOOSE form of paramount importance. You need to follow your bodies natural design of motion when lifting and not fight that (natural design of motion).
so your saying with bad form, you can't overload your muscles?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
When I was heavier (225lbs.) I benched 335lbs. for a 1 rep max.
Now I weigh 175lbs. I did 295 lbs. for a 1 rep max this last Monday...and it was hard!!!
I go for reps...
Flat Bench = 135lbs. warm-up, 185lbs. 12-15 reps, 225lbs. for 10 reps, 275lbs. for 4-6 reps.
Incline = 135lbs warm up, 185lbs. 12-15 reps, 205lbs. 10 reps, 225lbs. 8-10 reps, 275lbs. for what ever I can get out, usually 2 to 3 reps!
Old 09-01-2005, 12:38 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
When I was heavier (225lbs.) I benched 335lbs. for a 1 rep max.
Now I weigh 175lbs. I did 295 lbs. for a 1 rep max this last Monday...and it was hard!!!
I go for reps...
Flat Bench = 135lbs. warm-up, 185lbs. 12-15 reps, 225lbs. for 10 reps, 275lbs. for 4-6 reps.
Incline = 135lbs warm up, 185lbs. 12-15 reps, 205lbs. 10 reps, 225lbs. 8-10 reps, 275lbs. for what ever I can get out, usually 2 to 3 reps!

Old 09-01-2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by fdl
Gavril, i hear what you are saying. But by that logic would it not mean that the smith machine would be better to "overload" on your bench press? i.e. you would not need to worry about balance at all.
That's an interesting point as well.

Gavril, you obviously have decent knowledge on this subject, so I'm not going to agree or disagree because I'm not an expert on this subject. I just have found that this type of balanced workout has produced the body that I would like to have. I guess its because I don't want to have huge man boobs and I'm just looking to have a toned figure. Either way, if people are really concerned about form and stuff, just consult a professional.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fdl
If you're targeting JUST the chest and some tris, yes. However one of the great benefits of the bench press (and all compound exercises) is that it hits a large variety of muscles.

If you can't balance the weight you're benching, drop the weight down until those stabilizer muscles strengthen up.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:29 PM
?!?

Originally Posted by fdl
you increased your bench press by 150 lbs in 3 months? sounds like

Or maybe you were just selling yourself short when you started.

mine went up about 75 in 40 days so maybe the math works out
Old 09-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

My current max is 285.

I usually do
135 x 10
225 x 8
245 x 6
265 x 4
275 x 2
and if I'm feeling good 285 x 1

My end goal is 315 for at least 3
Old 09-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BEETROOT
Don't think of free weights that way... they aren't a step up. Just go with light weight to start. You will see better strength gains from free weights than machines.

My bench routine is usually something like this...

flat:
16 reps 130 lbs
10 reps 190 lbs
8 reps 200 lbs
? reps 130 lbs (as many as possible)

decline:
3 sets of 8-10 reps @ 190 lbs

incline: I do this with dumbbells...

12 reps 60 lbs (each hand)
10 reps 75
8 reps 80
8 reps 80

I'd like to get those weights up and the numbers down, but I lift alone so I don't really like doing too much weight without a spot.
Maybe I am picturing the wrong person...but, thought you were mcuh bigger than these weights would indicate. Not that weight is important. Form>weight. It is all about how you look IMO.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

I did 315 once in January. I thought i was going to pop something.
My routine is this
I start with incline dumbells
55 lbs x 10
70 lbs x 10
85 lbs x 10
90 lbs x 10
100lbs dumbells x 3-10 depending on energy/ motivation. That is hard.
Sometimes i feel like I could do more but that is the heaviest dumbells they have. Sometimes I feel like I can't even do the 85's.
I do flat bench next
185 x 10
225 x 5-10 (usually dying by now..some days are better though!)
245 x 3-5
then i am done. And by done I mean my arms, chest all feel like jelly. I am careful because I dont wanna hurt anything. Sometimes I do a lot less or just stop if i feel uncomfortable. I am wierd like that.
Oh, also like to do a 4th set at 135 till exhuastion at the end.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

i wanna do sets with 315 one day!!
Old 09-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
i only do lik 60 BTW if i do more, ill stunt my growth
Old 09-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by fdl

Absolutely not.

First, the Smith machine is an isolation machine. Isolation and overload are not friends. In many ways they are opposites.

Second, please do not derive from what I said above that balance is not something one should worry about. If balance is in one's way to achieve maximum overload, then it's hurting your potential. But balance is always in the equation because it's natural for free weight exercises to be balance-dependent. Balance can you your friend, or your foe. It depends how you use it. If you reach max overload, then balance is good because it works the synergist muscles. If you cant reach max OL because of balance then it's hurting you.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Reddly9007
so your saying with bad form, you can't overload your muscles?

I am saying with strict form you cant reach max. overload.

Bad form is defined by me as form that would hurt you (injure you) OR form that does not let you reach max. overload and/or intensity. For example, ROM. I see many people bench press and the bar goes 50% down. That's bad form because full ROM is of paramount importance when the goal is the fastest way to develop muscle.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

That's an interesting point as well.

Gavril, you obviously have decent knowledge on this subject, so I'm not going to agree or disagree because I'm not an expert on this subject. I just have found that this type of balanced workout has produced the body that I would like to have. I guess its because I don't want to have huge man boobs and I'm just looking to have a toned figure. Either way, if people are really concerned about form and stuff, just consult a professional.
There is no such thing as toning It's on the sticky notes ABREECE has put together and discussed so many times.

Muscles either grow or not and you either lose fat or gain fat. Everything else is a combination of the above.

I guarantee you that with zero additional training, you will be able to lift 5 pounds more if you just followed the form and execution I pasted previously on the bench press. IT might feel weired but if you can keep bias off your head and give it 100% you will lift more weight. Do two warm up sets of 45-50% your overload (12 reps each) and two acclimation sets, one 70% (6 reps) and one 80% (1 rep) your overload and then go for it with 5 or 10 more pounds the way I pasted it there. You WILL lift more weight with that one try. Try it.

Quick Reply: how much do u bench?