Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Diet on Off-Training Days

Old 10-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Diet on Off-Training Days

Couple questions

Those of you who have been working out for any noteable amount of time with at least some degree of success....

...what was your eating like on days you didn't workout?
That's one of the things I'm not so sure about.

I recentely started a program designed to help build muscle mass. I workout Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri. I realize one of the big hitting points of gaining muscle is eating ALOT. Granted, the right foods, but alot none-the-less. However, should I be eating as much on Wed, Sat, and Sun as I'm gauging for training days? Or should it be taken down a notch?

I'm just not extremely familiar with physiological stuff, so I'm not sure if it's still important to consume quite a bit on days you don't train while muscles are still repairing, or if those would be more like wasted calories. Input?

Secondly, can anyone suggest or recommend a website that helps you gauge what your caloric intake is per day? Thanks!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
Couple questions

Those of you who have been working out for any noteable amount of time with at least some degree of success....

...what was your eating like on days you didn't workout?
That's one of the things I'm not so sure about.

I recentely started a program designed to help build muscle mass. I workout Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri. I realize one of the big hitting points of gaining muscle is eating ALOT. Granted, the right foods, but alot none-the-less. However, should I be eating as much on Wed, Sat, and Sun as I'm gauging for training days? Or should it be taken down a notch?

I'm just not extremely familiar with physiological stuff, so I'm not sure if it's still important to consume quite a bit on days you don't train while muscles are still repairing, or if those would be more like wasted calories. Input?

Secondly, can anyone suggest or recommend a website that helps you gauge what your caloric intake is per day? Thanks!

You should be eating just as much, if not more. Recovery days are EXTREMELY important, and you need energy to fuel your intense workouts. Just because your not necessarily doing any physical activity that day, does not mean you should be suppressing your appetite.

Although, if this does not make you comfortable, some people will restrict their carbohydrate intake on off-days. How much restriction, I suppose that depends on the goals. Since your intent on building muscle mass, I would keep your diet steady throughout the week.

I personally eat just as much, if not more on my off-days.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks!