Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Cold weather cycling

Old 09-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Cold weather cycling

This year I've been pretty regularly riding to improve my fitness - this is the first exercise program that I've ever started and kept up. I'd like to keep riding as long as I can as winter approaches.

I've bought some long pants/shirts to wear while riding, as well as full gloves and wool socks. Any other tips on clothing? How cold does it get before the rest of the riders here stop riding for the season?

Any prep for my bike (I ride a hardtail on pavement and crushed limestone forest preserve trails) that I should consider? Depending on how much time I have I ride from about 10 to 22 miles.

We've already had a couple of cooler nights here and it seemed to me to take a lot more effort to maintain my pace than when it's warmer.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Race Director

Received 899 Likes on 545 Posts
I don't know.

My road bike hits the garage for the winter usually sometime around November. But I continue to mountain bike all winter, even when it is 0 outside.

This is what I usually wear

Base wicking layer
Winter Jersey
depending on how cold, a windbreaker, ear muffs, and if is really cold a wool beanie. But I usually like my head uncovered otherwise I overheat.

bottom
cycling shorts
tights
wool socks and a pair of enclosed shoes (no vents)
Old 09-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Physical exertion in cold weather can be tough on your heart. There are plenty of people who wind up having heart attacks from just shoveling the snow on their driveway. Riding a bike in cold weather is almost certainly far more strenuous. If you experience any chest pain / tightness in your chest make sure you back off.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Team Owner

That makes some sense speedy. I was able to ride yesterday in 80 degree heat for 1.5 hours at an average of 155 bpm - with max of 170. On the cool nights (around 60 degrees) I did 40 minutes at an average of 148 - and at 155 or so I was really sucking wind.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 631 Likes on 280 Posts
i have to disagree with speedy.

physical exertion in colder temps is easier on the body than high temp activity.

the stories you hear of people having heart attacks are usually people who lead sedentiary lifestyles and are out of shape decided to shovel the driveway and overexerting themselves to the point of heart failure.

the key to cold weather riding is layers!

I usually wear a wicking jersey with sleeves, and a normal jersey on top. Arm warmers too if it's extra cold. I also have a vest which I wear sometimes to help cut the wind from my core. I have either mid zero, or sub zero tights, depending on the temp, and whether it's wet or dry outside. Then i'll put my cycling shorts on over top. If it's not really cold, sometimes i just wear my knee warmers instead of the tights.

I wear socks that have no cotton in them, but I'm not a wool fan. I've got booties that go over my cycling shoes to keep the wind and water out as well.

Riding in the cold can be great fun, and just as enjoyable as warm weather riding. It's all about preparation! I find it takes me about 8minutes of spinning before my body will react and begin to warm up on cold days. Once I'm past that point, the ride starts to become fun
Old 10-01-2006, 09:29 PM
chips and smokes, lets go

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
layers are key with a good shell. if you're wearing cycling specific shoes you will need a pair of booties to go over the outside of the shoe. cycling shoes are designed for maximum ventilation but in the winter that equals maximum foot freezing. with the right gear you can ride all year long. just watch out for ice
Old 10-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by herbalist
layers are key with a good shell. if you're wearing cycling specific shoes you will need a pair of booties to go over the outside of the shoe. cycling shoes are designed for maximum ventilation but in the winter that equals maximum foot freezing. with the right gear you can ride all year long. just watch out for ice
Thanks for the hints - I do have cycling shoes with SPD cleats, bought wool socks but booties are on the to-buy list.

Any hints on tires? Does the compound of bicycle tires tend to get extremely slick in the cold like a summer car tire?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:42 PM

i guess it depends on what type of terrain you're riding on. if the ground is hard and frozen then i'd look at a semi-slick/semi-knob tire. if the terrain is loose and wet (like snow covered), you'll want a good knobby tire. remember that tire pressure is key to getting maximum traction. in terms of the tire compund changing, i haven't really noticed that riding on trails. maybe some of the roadies could chime in on that one.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Team Owner

I'm in Illinois - so we don't really have much in the way of "terrain". My regular ride is 5 miles of pavement, and 12 miles of limestone. I've got semi knobbies now - I run them at max pressure (65psi) in the summer, assume I should run them lower in the winter. They're easy enough to change if I find that I need something different.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Race Director

Received 899 Likes on 545 Posts
No the compound doesn't make a difference but as herbalist said with the winter and snow you will want to lower your tire pressure to somewhere around 35psi.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:11 PM

you're on the right track . depending on what the limestone is like, i would even look into buying a pair of road slicks. i MTB but i live in the city so i don't get to go trail riding as often as i would like so i end up road riding - all pavement. a few years ago bought some 1.25" slicks for my MTB and its like night and day. if the limestone you're riding on resembles pavement in anyway, its not a bad idea to look into them.