Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Cardio with no lifting?

Old 07-29-2005, 10:10 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cardio with no lifting?

Ok, so I'm on summer break and I don't have any access to any weights. My running shoes just came in, and so I'll start running as soon as I buy my shorts. My question is if I only do running, and no weight lifting will I look like a skinny bastard? Will doing push ups help build some muscle? I heard in the army you don't lift weights or anything, but they're all buff as hell, how do they do it?

One another thing, I'm already skinny, but I don't have a 6 pack. If I start doing consistant cardio ala my running, and crunches, will I get my 6 pack?
Old 07-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Homeless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Push ups, when done correctly, will give you one hell of a workout.

Just be careful and do them right, if not you can hurt your back(happened to me). Do them slowly and start off with a low number...say 20...then move up.

I've been doing the "womans" pushups since I jacked my back...when done slow enough, they'll make you break a damn sweat nicely.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:29 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
Ok, so I'm on summer break and I don't have any access to any weights. My running shoes just came in, and so I'll start running as soon as I buy my shorts. My question is if I only do running, and no weight lifting will I look like a skinny bastard? Will doing push ups help build some muscle? I heard in the army you don't lift weights or anything, but they're all buff as hell, how do they do it?

One another thing, I'm already skinny, but I don't have a 6 pack. If I start doing consistant cardio ala my running, and crunches, will I get my 6 pack?
Fool. you're 15. Your metabolism is off the charts. It will be even crazier when you run. Yes you will get the six pack. And no you will not be a skinny bastard. Unless you already are. In that case, do the pushups and pull ups so you're able to hit those weights in the fall.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:45 PM
styling on you

# Running: 2 miles, 8:30 pace, Mon/Wed/Fri
# Pushups: 4 sets of 15 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
# Situps: 4 sets of 20 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri

I'll probably do that, and as I progress, I'll add extend it. Hopefully that'll build me some muscle cuz im skinny as is right now =(
Old 07-30-2005, 03:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Find a tree branch or something to do pull ups. Calesthenics are powerful if done right. LL Cool J says he does only pushups, situps and pull ups and he looks ok. Although genetics plays into it.

You want to add weights or muscle lifting of somekind if you can.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LL Cool J is a Liar. He is prolly on andro and lives in the gym.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:21 AM
My Work is Done Here

LL Cool J also runs with a 40lb weight vest on
Old 08-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

So do I. It's called my gut.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:44 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
LL Cool J is a Liar. He is prolly on andro and lives in the gym.
I agree. It's not possible to get that kind of muscle development with just pushups.

Unless somsone can shoot me down with proof?
Old 08-01-2005, 06:48 PM
That's Racist

# Running: 2 miles, 8:30 pace, Mon/Wed/Fri
# Pushups: 4 sets of 15 pushups, Mon/Wed/Fri
# Situps: 4 sets of 20 situps, Mon/Wed/Fri

I'll probably do that, and as I progress, I'll add extend it. Hopefully that'll build me some muscle cuz im skinny as is right now =(
Why don't you try adding in some Tuesday and Thursday also?

Like, for example, on Tuesday and Thursday, instead of doing wide hand pushups (to work on the chest), do close handed ones to hit up your triceps more.

And for situps, try leg lifts and crunches. There's a lot of different ab work outs that are available to do without having to have equipment or a gym membership. Also, your muscles will get used to a movement if you only do one for an extended period of time. And in that case, it becomes less effective than mixing and diversifying it around a little.

Try finding an outdoor i dunno what you would call it... workout playground? Do some dips and pull ups too.

Pull ups are extremely important. Most often than not, people always claim their back muscles as their weakest muscle to work with.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:31 PM
styling on you

Well, just started yesterday, and I'm sore as fuck today. This is what I get for taking a month break from working out. Also I can't run for crap either, I found myself doing 60/40 of running and walking respectively for 20-25 minutes. Also found myself dizzy, like when you play a First Person Shooter for the first time. Maybe because I didn't have much to eat? Anyways I'll keep on it.

BTW! Are frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts already precooked? Do I have to worry about getting rid of the germs or do I just cook it till it's tasty to eat?
Old 08-03-2005, 09:27 AM
My Work is Done Here

BTW! Are frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts already precooked? Do I have to worry about getting rid of the germs or do I just cook it till it's tasty to eat?
no, they are not precooked. you have to thaw them, wash them, and cook them.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
I agree. It's not possible to get that kind of muscle development with just pushups.

Unless somsone can shoot me down with proof?
Don't be jealous but some people are just built big. There was a guy on my HS football team that was 220 muscle by age 16. The dude was all state 4 years and went to Penn State as a linebacker. He lifted too but he was already big just thanks to genetics. I saw him break a running back's collar bone just by running into him and hitting him. Dude was a like a truck.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:51 PM
styling on you

Originally Posted by ccannizz11
no, they are not precooked. you have to thaw them, wash them, and cook them.
I just pop em in the George Foreman grill and let one side sit for ~8-10 minutes, then flip it and let it sit for another 5 minutes, and that's it. Is that ok, or is that not really cooked? And how can I tell if it is/isnt?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:57 AM
My Work is Done Here

I just pop em in the George Foreman grill and let one side sit for ~8-10 minutes, then flip it and let it sit for another 5 minutes, and that's it. Is that ok, or is that not really cooked? And how can I tell if it is/isnt?
I used to have a george foreman grill. It's really kinda useless for chicken, because there's no fat to drain, so it really dries out the breast. Now I just use a skillet.

Anyway, if you're using the george foreman grill, you only need to cook it for 6-8 minutes (after you let it thaw), no flipping required. It is done when there is no pink in the middle, just make a small cut in the center before you take it off the grill.