Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Burn some fat

Old 11-29-2005 | 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Burn some fat

Well, here it is - simply put I want/need to lose roughly 30lbs. I have read over several threads around here and figured I would just start asking questions.
1. Have any of you used any of those software programs to keep track of what you eat so you knwo where to cut back? Just curious because one of the threads mentioned a website (don't remember it off the top of my head)
2. I have a treadmill at home which works great - but I can't use it long because my back starts to kill me (from the accident) after 10-15 minutes of light jogging. What would you suggest I use instead?
3. If all I really want to do is burn the fat, I assume I have no need to work with weights, correct?

TIA
Old 11-29-2005 | 06:31 PM
Go Giants

1. Fitday - Is a good free site
2. Try a cheap elipical
3. I say yes, others say no. I always say to loose the weight you want first, then do some weights.
Old 11-29-2005 | 07:21 PM
Burn some dust here

Agree with Whiskers. However, I would do some weight lifting. Don't want to lose the muscle you have from lots of cardio work.
Old 11-29-2005 | 08:05 PM

change your diet, eat less than what you burn, you will lose a little weight by doing that.
Old 11-29-2005 | 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rbf351
change your diet, eat less than what you burn, you will lose a little weight by doing that.
Not just a little, that is what everything hinges on. Nothing is gonna happen unless you're eating less than what you burn.

Whisker's advice is just fine. I always recommend weights, but they aren't necessary (neither is cardio, a change in your diet will do it all).
Old 11-29-2005 | 08:18 PM
Go Giants

Also, try different postures on the treadmill.....
Old 11-30-2005 | 03:37 PM
Safety Car

i hope you dont run barefoot on the treadmill. If your back is killing you, try different shoes (adidas and new balance make good running shoes). there are other ways of doing cardio too. swim, bicycling, playing sports, sex..?
Old 11-30-2005 | 03:39 PM
Yeehaw

I'm cutting my caloric intake down to about 1200 calories starting yesterday. I've been eating/drinking like a pig lately and it shows. That plus a good amount of cardio and the weight should drop off.
Old 11-30-2005 | 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLBaller
i hope you dont run barefoot on the treadmill. If your back is killing you, try different shoes (adidas and new balance make good running shoes). there are other ways of doing cardio too. swim, bicycling, playing sports, sex..?
Well, No, I don't go barefoot. I have been using new balance lately as these have been by far the most comfortable I have tried. I hate the stationary bike - don't know why, but just do. I can't go bike outside since its too damn cold now (20 degrees F right now)
Old 11-30-2005 | 03:51 PM
Yeehaw

Get a psp and play video games while you do the bike... time flies
Old 11-30-2005 | 03:53 PM
Safety Car

or watch tv.. you can listen to music or read also.
Old 11-30-2005 | 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok, well let me ask this. Do I want to spend oh, $1,000 on an elliptical or a membership to ballys for $19/month? Or $130 fee to join and $59/month to lifetime fitness (hell of a lot better than ballys - and open 24/7)
Old 11-30-2005 | 05:37 PM
Go Giants

If you are focusing on cardiio, then I would pickup a $600 elipical for now. However, if you feel you wont be motivated, then join a gym. As far as which gym to join, $19 bucks a month is very good but what makes the other one better? Location? Equipment?
Old 11-30-2005 | 05:37 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
Get a psp and play video games while you do the bike... time flies
By the way, watching movies or reading a magizine on a treadmill is impossible....It gives me headaches.
Old 11-30-2005 | 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Whiskers
If you are focusing on cardiio, then I would pickup a $600 elipical for now. However, if you feel you wont be motivated, then join a gym. As far as which gym to join, $19 bucks a month is very good but what makes the other one better? Location? Equipment?
I need to motivate myself. I need to lose the weight - just because I don't want to look like this - and then because of history of heart problems on the dads side of family (million heart bypasses, everybody with high cholestorl, high BP, etc).

Lifetime fitness: Recently remodeled (even before, it was always nice and clean) - less than mile from house. I could walk there if I wanted (too cold now of course). Machines are almost always working - and they have tons of them. TVs built in the walls all over the gym area (use FM radio to tune in). Pool for laps downstairs -- as well as a rec pool. Sauna, two jaccuzzis, etc. Very clean and nice facility open 24/7

Ballys is 5 miles from here - inside is crappy. Pool I wouldn't dream of swimming in. Machines work most of the time. Basically lifetime kills ballys but costs $40/mo more.

I am thinking that if I can get an elliptical for under $1000 I would probably do that. I never used anything but the elliptical and treadmill at the gym. I rarely went swimming mainly because it was always being used. Your thoughts?
Old 11-30-2005 | 05:57 PM
Go Giants

If you plan on going to the gym after you loose the weight, then go to the nice gym (if you go to the crappy one, you may stop going).

After you loose weight, you should do a mix of cardio and weights if you join a gym.

If you have no intention of doing weights, they skip the gym and get an elipical.
Old 11-30-2005 | 05:59 PM
Yeehaw

I personally like the gym better than having the equipment at home. The equipment at a good gym is a lot better than anything you could get for a grand at home, and the pro equipment makes a big difference.

$60/month is a lot... but Ballys blows. I actually was supposed to meet a salesperson over there yesterday, I was thinking of switching gyms, but I ditched out before she could even make it to the front to meet me. The place was a shithole and the equipment was crap.

I pay $35/month for 24 hour fitness where all the equipment is top of the line, nice pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, lockers, the works. I think it was a couple hundred down. If you have one near you, check it out. If your only options are the two you mentioned, I would go for the Lifetime fitness membership. A dirty gym with lousy equipment would probably discourage me from going. A nice gym, on the other hand, would get me in more often, especially if I was paying $60/month.
Old 11-30-2005 | 11:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vp911
I need to motivate myself. I need to lose the weight - just because I don't want to look like this - and then because of history of heart problems on the dads side of family (million heart bypasses, everybody with high cholestorl, high BP, etc).
You have to find your own source of motivation. Whether it's wanting to look good, be healthy, or something else. I personally am fueled by a mixture of self hatred and vanity. As horrible as that sounds it works for me. Whatever your motivation, you need to find it and focus on it with a never-ending passion and devotion. Keep your eye on the prize, as they say.

Lifetime fitness: Recently remodeled (even before, it was always nice and clean) - less than mile from house. I could walk there if I wanted (too cold now of course). Machines are almost always working - and they have tons of them. TVs built in the walls all over the gym area (use FM radio to tune in). Pool for laps downstairs -- as well as a rec pool. Sauna, two jaccuzzis, etc. Very clean and nice facility open 24/7

Ballys is 5 miles from here - inside is crappy. Pool I wouldn't dream of swimming in. Machines work most of the time. Basically lifetime kills ballys but costs $40/mo more.
If you HONESTLY think you'll use all the goodies in lifetime, go for it.

Weight lifting machines aren't necessary. That horse has received a good beating around here. A good power rack, bench, and free weight set are all you need.

I am thinking that if I can get an elliptical for under $1000 I would probably do that. I never used anything but the elliptical and treadmill at the gym. I rarely went swimming mainly because it was always being used. Your thoughts?
Sounds like you don't need Lifetime.
Old 12-01-2005 | 10:33 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Your diet is 70% of the way you look. I dropped 45lbs. in just under 3 months....I cut my carbs to 50-100grams a day...ate double my body wieght in grams of protien and it worked...its worked for 4 of my friends....2 of thier girlfriends...it will work for you! If you do light cardio...you'll tone up a little better too. Trust me .... I weighed 225lbs...now I'm 175....I had 4 protien shakes a day...2 meal replacment bars and chicken or meat for dinner. Its sucks, but how bad do you wanna loose the weight.
Old 12-28-2005 | 02:03 PM
Banned

How is it going for you vp911?
Old 12-28-2005 | 03:10 PM
Suzuka Master

It's not... at all. Christmas came up and I became lazy - aside from that, my asthma has been TERRIBLE the last few weeks and the doctor ordered me not to do anything - including swimming until it has returned to normal.

Thanks for checking though
Old 12-28-2005 | 03:13 PM
Go Giants

Wait until the holidays are over.
Old 12-29-2005 | 05:02 PM
Banned

It's all good man, you'll be back in the swing of things soon.
Old 12-29-2005 | 07:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

just start lifting heavy who cares about weight, as long as its muscle
Old 12-29-2005 | 07:40 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
just start lifting heavy who cares about weight, as long as its muscle
I care.

-I don't want to look like a bouncer.
-If you stop lifting, all that muscle turns to a lof of fat.
Old 12-29-2005 | 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Not that 55's comment is correct - everyone has different goals, but:

I care.

- Getting really massive takes a shit-ton of hard work, dedication, and time. You won't get that big unless you really want it and really, really work for it.

- That muscle won't do anything but shrink if you stop lifting. There is no fat/muscle conversion that takes place. Eat like a fatty and don't work out and you'll get fat. Keep your diet in check and you'll be fine.
Old 12-30-2005 | 09:11 AM
Go Giants

Interesting.....I was always under the impression that muscle can turn to fat....
Old 12-30-2005 | 09:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Interesting.....I was always under the impression that muscle can turn to fat....
Nope. I hear that a lot, and I'm not sure where people get the idea from. They're completely different macronutrients, your body isn't gonna bother converting from one to the other even if it was possible.
Old 12-30-2005 | 09:27 AM
Go Giants

Wait, are you saying that you also can not convert fat to muscle?
Old 12-30-2005 | 09:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Correct.

You gain or burn fat, and gain or burn muscle. No conversion takes place.
Old 12-30-2005 | 09:40 AM
Go Giants

How do you gain muscle? Where is the mass coming from (calories vs. fat? Protein?)? Lets say you have very little body fat and eat very little, but lift heavily?
Old 12-30-2005 | 11:07 AM
Banned

How do you gain muscle? Where is the mass coming from (calories vs. fat? Protein?)? Lets say you have very little body fat and eat very little, but lift heavily?
In anecdotal terms, one adds mass by going through the cycle of lifting hard to actually injure muscles and then eating/resting properly so those injured muscles are repaired and become stronger/bigger.

If you eat very little but lift a lot to the point of injuring muscle, then your body will essentially cannibalize other healthy muscle to repair injured muscle, which is counter productive.

That is why is take so long to add muscle without the help of Vitamin-T, for instance. It takes people years to figure out what lifts, rep/set combos, rest periods, calorie intake, carb/protein/fat ratio, etc, etc work well for them.
Old 12-30-2005 | 11:09 AM
Banned

No, fat cannot be turned into muscle. Perhaps you are used to hearing TV ads promoting how people can turn fat into muscle in just 30 minutes a day, yada yada. It's really more of a marketing phrase than anything.
Old 12-30-2005 | 02:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Muscle is protein.

Protein, carbs, and fats are all forms of energy. They're ALL calories. Your body can use any of them for fuel, and- contrary to popular belief- can store any of them as fat. It's very inefficient for the body to store calories from protein as fat - or even use protein for energy - but it can happen. However, your body won't pull the protein out of your muscles and then turn it into fat. It can feed off of your muscle mass without the work of turning it into fat first.

If you have very little bodyfat and eat very little, you will gain very little muscle mass, if any at all.

This all goes back to what's in the nutrition sticky. Your body needs X amount of calories per day. Eat less than that and it has to dig into its energy stores - fat and muscle. Eat more than X and your body will start saving the energy. It prefers to store it as fat, it's easier to both save and access compared to protein.

Lifting hard tells your body to store that energy as muscle. It says "I need muscle mass! Make me stronger!" You eat a ton of protein to make sure your body has ample supplies for building those muscles. So long as you're eating more calories than your body burns it can effectively add to your muscle mass.
Old 12-30-2005 | 05:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I care.

First, muscle does not "turn into fat". Fat is added from food intake.

However, more relevant to your point, just because you lift heavy does not mean you will acquire the "bouncer look".

Finally, if you stop lifting, it does not mean you will get fat.
Old 12-30-2005 | 05:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by ABreece
Not that 55's comment is correct - everyone has different goals, but:

- Getting really massive takes a shit-ton of hard work, dedication, and time. You won't get that big unless you really want it and really, really work for it.
It's amazing how much time is needed for "significant" results, with regard to overall size. Few people understand that.

That's why I admire bodybuilders. To get to look like that, it takes a TON! of work and dedication.
Old 12-30-2005 | 05:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

"Where is the mass coming from?"

What a great question. The answer can be given in a 50 page article, or in short:

The mass comes from fibers that are rebuilt bigger and stronger after appropriate amout and type of stimulation, rest and nutrition.

(Stimulation in this case is what you do in the gym)
Old 12-30-2005 | 05:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by ABreece
Muscle is protein.
Actually...muscle is about 75% (actually slightly more) water. Yeap.

Another misconception that many "in the business" have. Muscle needs protein to grow, but it's not mostly made of protein.
Old 12-30-2005 | 05:35 PM
Go Giants

Great info all. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2005 | 05:39 PM

i gained roughly 5 lbs since my winter break started :angryfire

Quick Reply: Burn some fat