Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Best multi-vitamin pill? Are these even good for you?

Old 12-06-2006, 02:16 AM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Best multi-vitamin pill? Are these even good for you?

Hey guys, just curious on what your thoughts are on multi-vitamin pills. Sometimes it's really hard to get all the different vitamins your body needs, so I was wondering would it be ok to take a multi-vitamin pill when I'm falling behind on nutrition/not feeling too well

Also if so, which multi-vitamin would be the best one to choose?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:31 AM
That's Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
multi-vitamins are great for you. period.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ast/multi-pro.html
^that's what i'm currently using right now, the only complaints I hear about this one is that the iron concentration is a bit high; as they recommend 2 pills a day (i only take 1 a day), you might want to watch out and make sure you're not getting too much of your daily dosages.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/adam.html
^These too are a good choice @ a great price. I haven't heard anything overtly bad about these.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been using the GNC mega men's multi's. I take it once a day with a meal.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,150 Posts
I've been taking Centrum for about 15 years. Since I have been taking them I get sick less often and when I do I'm not sick nearly as long. Colds are gone in about 2 days.

So they are worth it to me. My kid takes Flintstones and it has the same effect on her.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Banned

I take a store brand Centrum and a 500mg Vitamin C.

I have a pretty broad spectrum diet, so I rarely worry about being deficient in anything, but I figure it's good insurance. Plus, there is a bit of a Placebo effect...if I think it makes me less sick, "have more energy", etc...it will.

The thing I worry about is absorption, so i crush them up and add to an ounce of water and take that "shot" every morning when I wake up. Kinda bitter, but nothing bad...plus it's like a wake-me-up.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:19 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
I use the GNC Mega Man.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Not Asian

I take the Ultra Vita-Men from Vitamin World. They usually have buy one-get one deals
Old 12-06-2006, 11:26 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Pull_T

I have a pretty broad spectrum diet, so I rarely worry about being deficient in anything, but I figure it's good insurance. Plus, there is a bit of a Placebo effect...if I think it makes me less sick, "have more energy", etc...it will.

The thing I worry about is absorption, so i crush them up and add to an ounce of water and take that "shot" every morning when I wake up. Kinda bitter, but nothing bad...plus it's like a wake-me-up.
The crushing is a wise thing to do.

I once heard a story of a womans septic tank clogging and over flowing. The item that was clogging it...you guessed it, hundreds of undigested Centrums.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
The crushing is a wise thing to do.

I once heard a story of a womans septic tank clogging and over flowing. The item that was clogging it...you guessed it, hundreds of undigested Centrums.
Yeah...I worked a few months one summer for a buddy's Dad and we cleaned out/reoutfitted Port-A-John's when they were trucked in, then we loaded them and shipped them out.

Fairly easy job...but I did get to see what found it's way into toilets Mainly cigarette butts and little lumps that were the remains of vitamins...well, and of course urine and feces. When you looked at them, it seemed like about 1/2 the mass had dissolved.

Now, I've had people tell me "that's only because they were cheap vitamins" and that "The $XXX ones from ____ (usually GNC) don't do that". However, I can't imagine how one multivitamin is very different than another...it's various amounts of the micronutrients that are bound up in a carbonate.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by phipark
I take the Ultra Vita-Men from Vitamin World. They usually have buy one-get one deals
ditto
Old 12-06-2006, 01:25 PM
The Boss

Vitamins are vitamins... not matter where you get them from.......

GNC, walmart, walgreens, CVS...etc.,
Old 12-08-2006, 11:37 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phipark
http://www.vitaminworld.com/pages/ca...&CID=39&Page=4

Ultra Vita-Min™ Tablets - Vitamin World

• Comprehensive Nutritional Support*
Ultra Vita-Min™ is a rich cornucopia of over 35 ingredients that help in areas of bone maintenance, energy metabolism, immune system support, and antioxidant health.*

you mean that?
Old 12-10-2006, 09:54 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by Pull_T

cool idea.

i'll try it with my omega-3 fish oil pills tomorrow
Old 12-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006

Not necessarily...Alot of the multi's contain higher doses of certain things, and less then some others...There is also the quality issue when it comes to absorption as well.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Intermediate

Smile

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006

I've noticed that some cheaper multi-vitamins will use synthetic vitamins like synthetic vitamin E (dl-alpha tocopherol). A good multi-vitamin will use NATURAL vitaminE (d-alpha) preferably with mixed tocopherols including d-gamma, beta and delta tocopherols.

Anyway it does matter what brand you get.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I take Equate brand (Walmart) of Men's Once A Day. It's like $3 for 100 pills.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:53 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ashburner
I take Equate brand (Walmart) of Men's Once A Day. It's like $3 for 100 pills.
For $3 they can't be worth taking.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cell99
For $3 they can't be worth taking.
You know house-brands are made on the same production lines as major brands, right? It's the same thing, its just Walmart gets a discount for buying massive quantities and having their own label on them.

Same product, different label.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by curls
You know house-brands are made on the same production lines as major brands, right? It's the same thing, its just Walmart gets a discount for buying massive quantities and having their own label on them.

Same product, different label.
"Dude...but the guy at GNC told me that their vitamins at 400% higher price are way better"
Old 12-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
One thing I know for sure is when I take the centrum my piss in a normal color. Even hours after i take it.

But I take the GNC mega mans one and I piss neon green almost all day long. Thats with drinking loads of water. That GNC vitamin is no joke... Its almost too much...
Old 12-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by trancemission
But I take the GNC mega mans one and I piss neon green almost all day long. Thats with drinking loads of water. That GNC vitamin is no joke... Its almost too much...
It's just turning you into the Incredible Hulk.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Drifting

A doctor told me that the best multi viatmin to take is Walmarts "One Source". It is the one that dissolves the fastest, meaning you get more of the benefits because the vitamins actually get into your system. He said that Centrum and other big name one are too hard and they wind up passing through with little break down. It makes some sense. Plus they are cheaper.

However, I know that they are all made on the same production line so who really does know.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
One thing I know for sure is when I take the centrum my piss in a normal color. Even hours after i take it.

i think it's because you already have sufficient amounts of vitamin B(?) and it's water-soluble so you just pissed it all out.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Got a Job!

I took this shit for the first time the other day, and this guy ain't kidding. What is the deal w/ the neon green piss? Also, why are some things over 100% of your daily value in these pills? Shit, thiamin is at 3333%! I don't get it

Also, do you guys take the recommended 2 pills a day? Or can I just take one?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Banned

The % is what the FDA has set as a bare minimum for an average person. It's not a reflection what what everyone feels is the optimum amount.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Got a Job!

gracias
Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Synaesthesia sounds sweet

Originally Posted by Dem1K
What is the deal w/ the neon green piss? thiamin is at 3333%
You answered your own question

B vitamins usually turn your pee greenish yellow. Since it's water soluable & your body probably doesn't need that high of an amount when you take the vitamin, your body will get rid of the extra.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:18 AM
Racer

The pharmacist in me says: EVERYONE should take a multivitamin!!! Any brand name multi will work. I recommend Centrum.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Flintstones complete!

and maybe mens one a day
Old 01-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The Today Show did a segment on multi-vitamins last week. I didn't get to see the whole thing because I had to leave for work, but they tested some brands and found lead in them. One was Vitamin Shoppe Brand. All brands are not created equal. If I can find an article on it, I'll post it.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:26 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by mantis23
Flintstones complete!

and maybe mens one a day
LOL...I take GNC Mega Man and yeh my piss is yellow. But mu skin, hair, muscle's are healthy.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Lots of JDM parts on my

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been taking AST Multi-Pro for a while. (link in the 2nd post)

I've also tried Unviersal Animal-Pak as well. Those were nice, but end up being too expensive. Over $1 a day (if you take it twice) vs. the AST's $15 botte w/ 100 tablets.

I took GNC's Mega-Man vitamins as well, but don't have a gold card anymore.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Team Owner

Looks like the Vitamin Shoppe thinks we need more lead in our diet.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16655168/
Old 01-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Racer

They're NOT all equal, you're right....but MOST of them are ADEQUATE. Most major brands, that is... Actually, laugh all you want, but for most people, Flinstones vitamins would be just fine!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Banned

Is it possible that Centrums aren't supposed to be totally absorbed? As in they have more then what they need in the half of it you absorb?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:10 PM

Here's another guy's opinion on which multi's to take:

1) Balanced Essentials from Heaven Sent - Here you have a formula made from whole food sources that comes in liquid form and the taste isn't excruciating. With liquid you get the better absorbancy, and the whole food source mean this would be like what you SHOULD get from Vitamin content of all your food, but don't because food in the US SUCKS.

2) Sea Essentials by Heaven Sent - This was their first formula. People had discrepencies because it doesn't list the precise values of Vitamins it contains. But Heaven Sent aren't to blame for this. The FDA is. Because of the nature of the blend (Sea Vegetable preparation) the numbers vary slightly from batch-to-batch. The FDA said if they can't make it precise, they can't put numbers. But the antipoxidant and mineral properties of this are very good. And it was the Sea Essentials that I took and never, EVER got sick. I switched to Mega Men this year, and got my first cold in 3 years.

3) GNC Ultra Mega Green - Most Americans just do not get enough greens. Plain and simple. This is another Vitamin with whole food nutrients in it. But the drawback is these things are GIGANTIC. Not Horse pills, Elephant pills. And suggested use is 3 times per day (to supplement veggies with your meal), but like Mick states I think this is a bit of overkill. 2 per day in the morning should do.

4) Garden of Life's Living Multi - Notice a theme here? I hate the idea of purely synthetic vitamins. If you can score a good one with whole food nutrients you're going to find the health benefits a bit better. This is a good one. Garden of Life is a good line of things anyway, very reputable.

5) Nature's Plus - Source of Life. The customers who use this never, ever consider taking another one. And yet again another whole food source Vitamin.

Now, cheap? What will suffice? Well you have GNC's Mega Men, Twinlab's Daily Two, Solgar has a decent multi (Solgar is actually an excellent line but they tend to be pricey as well as they come from Japan.)
I don't know if linking to another forum is wrong or not. If so, mods feel free to delete:

Sherdog.net_Nutritian
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=329110
Old 01-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Racer

The article didn't really say much about which multi is BEST...and really, I don't think anyone can give a scientific opinion on that because they're not regulated by the FDA. Meaning: they can say just about anything they want on the bottle and not be penalized. IMO, as long as you're taking *a* multivitamin, you're better off than you were before you took it
Old 01-23-2007, 06:23 PM

yeah but claiming anything to be the "best" is subjective. Depends on a plethora a factors. I agree though, almost any multi is better than none.

btw, no disrespect, pharmacist at 22? That's pretty quick
Here at UF they only offer a PharmD track so it takes a little longer.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Racer

Not a pharmacist yet...thus "the pharmacist in me". I have 2 years left, so I'll be officially "Dr. She-L-S" at 25 years old. Still young when I think about it, but I don't think it'll affect my professionalism. My only concern is that some older people will have difficulty trusting a young woman with their health...guess we'll see.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by She-L-S
Not a pharmacist yet...thus "the pharmacist in me". I have 2 years left, so I'll be officially "Dr. She-L-S" at 25 years old. Still young when I think about it, but I don't think it'll affect my professionalism. My only concern is that some older people will have difficulty trusting a young woman with their health...guess we'll see.
gotcha, good luck with the schooling. A PharmD doesn't come easy.

I started on my prereques and worked as a tech for five years. I got tired of dealing with insurances and carisoprodol addicts. Both were worse than most "pain clinic" patients.

The old ppl at first might think you're a tech...but they'll remember and trust yah.</hijack>

I recall a couple pharmacist said the same thing and recommended Flinstones

Quick Reply: Best multi-vitamin pill? Are these even good for you?