Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Is this bad?

Old 03-10-2008 | 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Is this bad?

Recently, I've been playing basketball around 8/9pm-12am. So yeah, essentially 3-4 hours of cardio. I hate eating afterwards, but I normally eat a couple hours before I play. From a nutritional standpoint, any negative ramifications of doing this (about 3-4 times per week). Or should have a light snack after workout? thnx
Old 03-10-2008 | 04:13 PM
Go Giants

This is the best case scenario if you are trying to loose weight....
Old 03-10-2008 | 04:18 PM
on to the next one...

Damn, where in Chicago do you play basketball for that long, that late at night?
Old 03-10-2008 | 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

No, not really trying to lose weight. Maybe about 5 llbs of weight I gained on vacation. I'm afraid of losing too much weight.

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
Damn, where in Chicago do you play basketball for that long, that late at night?
^ Lifetime Fitness, always good amount of ppl playing ball. It only starts to wind down around 11:30-12am.... I need to start leaving earlier since I work really early.
Old 03-10-2008 | 04:38 PM

You guys are weird.... If you're hungry afterwards, have something small and light (hard-to-digest meals wouldn't be great before bed). If you're not hungry, then don't force yourself. Stop worrying about what you "should" and "shouldn't" do and start listening to your body. IMO, there's no harm in either option.
Old 03-11-2008 | 08:11 AM
Drifting

^^ You definitely need to listen to your body, it's better to eat ANYTHING than be hungry.

that being said you shouldn't allow you body to go hungry ever, when it's hungry it's too late... depending on what 'theories' you subscribe to - a snack before bead that's dense and high in good fats (yeah i know i said fat) is actually good for you and can help you loose weight. I usually have two tablespoons of natural peanut butter in a protein shake right before bed, and if i've already had my shake for the evening, I just take two scoops of the natural peanut butter and a glass of milk... lots of protein, good fats in peanuts, and it keeps you feeling full. Ideally you wake up and aren't hungry....
Old 03-11-2008 | 08:17 AM
Go Giants

I'm not fully convinced on the whole listening to your body thing....Your body will get accustomed to whatever you give it...The more you sleep, the more your body will crave. Same goes for eating...Set a guideline for the amount of calories you want to consume and stick to it. Going to bed hungry is not a terrible thing, just be sure your body has enough nutrients.
Old 03-11-2008 | 08:24 AM

I understand what you're getting at with the "by the time you feel hungry, it's too late" theory, but I somewhat disagree. I agree with that statement when it involves keeping hydrated. However, with food, I actually think it's good to feel hungry before eating. Considering all of the health epidemics and problems with weight, you have a lot of people not knowing when to eat or when to stop...they eat because they see food, because it's 12pm and that's when you "should" eat lunch, etc, etc. Of course, there are emotional and medical issues that can interfere with that process too, but I won't touch on that.

IMO, the best way to take care of your diet is to listen to your body's cues. It'll tell you when you're hungry. That means it's time to eat. Eat slowly as to enjoy your meal, and STOP when you're full. Most people are so busy with reading or chatting, or just overall inattentiveness, that they don't recognize those signals anymore. Your body will tell you when you're hungry and when you're full. IMO, that's the best way to eat. None of this "should I...?" or "is it okay to..?" stuff.

I ate healthy, nutritious foods, worked out regularly, didn't "do" any supplements, routines, or rely on artificial "help", and believe me -- I got stronger and more cut than most of you guys probably are (scary, but true). I stopped due to injury, but believe me when I say goals can be achieved without all the shakes and pills and health food store gimmicks.
Old 03-11-2008 | 09:02 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
I understand what you're getting at with the "by the time you feel hungry, it's too late" theory, but I somewhat disagree. I agree with that statement when it involves keeping hydrated. However, with food, I actually think it's good to feel hungry before eating. Considering all of the health epidemics and problems with weight, you have a lot of people not knowing when to eat or when to stop...they eat because they see food, because it's 12pm and that's when you "should" eat lunch, etc, etc. Of course, there are emotional and medical issues that can interfere with that process too, but I won't touch on that.

IMO, the best way to take care of your diet is to listen to your body's cues. It'll tell you when you're hungry. That means it's time to eat. Eat slowly as to enjoy your meal, and STOP when you're full. Most people are so busy with reading or chatting, or just overall inattentiveness, that they don't recognize those signals anymore. Your body will tell you when you're hungry and when you're full. IMO, that's the best way to eat. None of this "should I...?" or "is it okay to..?" stuff.

I ate healthy, nutritious foods, worked out regularly, didn't "do" any supplements, routines, or rely on artificial "help", and believe me -- I got stronger and more cut than most of you guys probably are (scary, but true). I stopped due to injury, but believe me when I say goals can be achieved without all the shakes and pills and health food store gimmicks.
I agree to a point... I guess I should have clarified more. It is true that many people overeat, and by no means was I promoting that you should eat when you feel full, many people eat so much they forget what feeling 'full' is like, and just eat whatever is infront of them.

But I also believe that it's more than just the # of calories you eat in a day that determines your weight/health etc. It's what those calories are comprised of.

Personally I find a distinction between hunger and the 'i should eat' feeling. Maybe others distinguish it as Normal Hunger vs. Ravenous Hunger. When I feel like I can eat, I eat... I only eat things that I've researched are good for me to eat, and I don't eat things that are bad (there's exceptions to everything of course you gotta live a little one meal a week or a month whatever you think is right for you).

Personally, I find doing this ensures I eat good things, and don't get stuck in a position where I have to eat out, or snack on some junk food cuz I'm so hungry I can't wait till another meal and have no healthy food on hand.

I know everyone is different, but watching WHAT I eat more than HOW MUCH I eat (not saying that I don't watch portions, because I definitely do but now I'm more concerned with what I eat and the proportion of fat/protein/carbs) I've made huge gains in a short period of time, losing fat and gaining muscle etc. And yeah the only supplement I've been using is a Multi Vitamin and protein shake so I don't have to eat chicken/tuna ALL day long...
Old 03-11-2008 | 09:57 AM

^ Of course what you eat has a major impact on your weight and health, as does portion. I just think people get so wrapped up in strict "rules" that they stop listening to their own natural cues, that's all.
Old 03-11-2008 | 09:59 AM
Go Giants

^ Of course what you eat has a major impact on your weight and health, as does portion. I just think people get so wrapped up in strict "rules" that they stop listening to their own natural cues, that's all.
Maybe, but if I listened to my body, I would be heavy again....I am currently maintaining my weight but do an hour of cardio a day. If I ate as much as my body asked for (even eating healthy food), I would gain. I think its important to understand your body, not necessarily listen to it....
Old 03-11-2008 | 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Maybe, but if I listened to my body, I would be heavy again....I am currently maintaining my weight but do an hour of cardio a day. If I ate as much as my body asked for (even eating healthy food), I would gain. I think its important to understand your body, not necessarily listen to it....
Listening to your body and giving in to temptation or emotional impulse is different. If you're not eating as much as your body needs, you'd be walking around hungry all day -- which isn't good for you either, and actually slows your metabolism. I think people often mistake "full" for pain or discomfort. IMO, that's why some people with weight problems never feel satiated, thus keep eating larger portions. Full will feel like just enough, whereas overeating will feel uncomfortable or painful. It also takes approximately 20 - 30 minutes for your body to give you the full signal, so if you don't slow down, you probably won't feel it until you're actually over-stuffed. A lot of feeling satiated also relies on eating the proper types of food to make you feel satisfied, while still eating a reasonable amount. And that's what I think people refer to when they talk about "empty calories" vs. healthy choices, bulky fiber-rich foods.
Old 03-11-2008 | 10:20 AM
Go Giants

But what I am saying is that you can train your body. You can get to the point where you can eat a proper amount of calories and fat for your body and not feel so hungry. But to do this, you need to make changes that will make you feel hungry. Believe me, during my weight loss, I felt hungry....Alot....But now Im not, but Im eating a lot less then I was then I was heavy.
Old 03-11-2008 | 10:28 AM
Drifting

Listening to your body and giving in to temptation or emotional impulse is different. If you're not eating as much as your body needs, you'd be walking around hungry all day -- which isn't good for you either, and actually slows your metabolism. I think people often mistake "full" for pain or discomfort. IMO, that's why some people with weight problems never feel satiated, thus keep eating larger portions. Full will feel like just enough, whereas overeating will feel uncomfortable or painful. It also takes approximately 20 - 30 minutes for your body to give you the full signal, so if you don't slow down, you probably won't feel it until you're actually over-stuffed. A lot of feeling satiated also relies on eating the proper types of food to make you feel satisfied, while still eating a reasonable amount. And that's what I think people refer to when they talk about "empty calories" vs. healthy choices, bulky fiber-rich foods.

Especially on the feeling satiated. That's why you have to make sure what you're eating isn't just healthy but also good for you, good quality foods are what keep you feeling 'full'. The better the quality of food the longer it will keep you feeling 'full'.

Having a small bag of chips may have as many calories as a an apple and some peanut butter but guess which one will leave you feeling full longer and which one will have you hungry for more real soon?

I feel that quality is slightly more important than quantity, even though they are both very important.
Old 03-17-2008 | 08:02 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Whiskers
But what I am saying is that you can train your body. You can get to the point where you can eat a proper amount of calories and fat for your body and not feel so hungry. But to do this, you need to make changes that will make you feel hungry. Believe me, during my weight loss, I felt hungry....Alot....But now Im not, but Im eating a lot less then I was then I was heavy.

, and

It's not so much "not listening" to your body, it's helping your body get used to a certain meal plan. Compared to now and back in High School, I was ALWAYS hungry and 50 lbs heavier. Starting a routine cardio workout and eating with a certain meal plan left me hungry for months at night. But after a while, my body got used to it and I don't get hungry at all at night. Just make sure that if you're planning to skip dinner, that you get your nutrients in before, during lunch and breakfast. You can't run on a full day without those two.

Technically, it is "smarter" for you to eat pre-game, and burn off the calories. After working out and exercising, it's "okay" to take in food, but your metabolism would be too worn out and you'd likely be "sleepy" at 12am after basketball. Most of your food probably won't be digested correctly. Either way, if you have to eat something/drink something after that at that time, water and fruit isn't a half bad idea.
Old 03-18-2008 | 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
:After working out and exercising, it's "okay" to take in food, but your metabolism would be too worn out and you'd likely be "sleepy" at 12am after basketball. Most of your food probably won't be digested correctly. Either way, if you have to eat something/drink something after that at that time, water and fruit isn't a half bad idea.
How does metabolism get "worn out"? Metabolism never stops -- it's a continual, on-going, never-ending process. As far as I know, your metabolism is actually at its highest up to ~2 hours after a workout. Metabolism does slow down (as do all other bodily functions) when you sleep, so yes, foods that are hard to break down wouldn't be a great idea before bed. Also, once you're in a healthy exercise routine, your metabolism is naturally higher overall and all day, compared to when you led a more sedentary lifestyle.
Old 04-01-2008 | 03:43 AM
Stop Drop and Roll

People mention food that is hard to break down. I like to eat a snack before I go to bed because I am trying to gain weight and sometimes I eat fruit or other things. What are some examples of good things to eat before bed? What are bad?
Old 04-01-2008 | 05:06 AM
I can't find my garage

i play some intense 2on2 bball anywhere between 7pm-1am for around 2-4hrs every night for over 2weeks now, and with same fast food junk, ive lost 3pounds at most.
Old 04-01-2008 | 03:52 PM
Stop Drop and Roll

Originally Posted by mltk53
i play some intense 2on2 bball anywhere between 7pm-1am for around 2-4hrs every night for over 2weeks now, and with same fast food junk, ive lost 3pounds at most.

Woah there take a break. haha just playing.

I thought I was bad when i was in college. I played full court games at our school's rec from 9-12 like 4 or 5 times a week. All those hours could of went to studying or finding girls.