Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

am i going to kill myself/being too ez on myself/just right

Old 09-16-2008, 02:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
am i going to kill myself/being too ez on myself/just right

so...
i am 5'10" and 120 lbs. not flabby (a year ago i was 105 lbs and "loose"). so going to the gym has helped me a lot, but i want to do this right from now on.
i have a goal of 150+ lbs. if i can get more that's great, but i figure that's ambitious enough for now. also i am vegetarian (philistines may insert the requisite gay/metro jokes here). dairy is ok, other than that, if u gotta kill it i don't eat it.

so...current "new" routine is:
mon: chest/tris
tue: shoulders/legs
wed: bis/back
thu-sat: repeat
sun: nothing (but may play tennis or something if the weather is nice).
before workout i try to run a mile or do a sprint workout (if i have time).
i am often ridiculed for my habit of aborting a workout of a given area if i feel even a slight twinge of pain (NOT "the burn") but as i am such a hard gainer i try to be cautious. other than that i try to push as hard as possible. total workout duration: about 75 minutes per day.

what i eat:
breakfast: some kinda cereal (not "plasticky," but a "whole grain" product). + orange juice, and some protein shake

lunch and dinner vary, but i usually try to have some more protein shake with them. i have a bottle of multivitamins and a bottle of b vitamins i am pondering taking.

aggregate protein shake consumption: about 45 oz of liquid/ about 90 grams of protein. i get eas from sam's club.

so...thoughts?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:45 AM
Burning Brakes

about the protein shake....the instructions on the bag of protein indicate that i should actually be using about 2x as much liquid (i use 2% milk) with the powder, but that's too much liquid to be drinking in one day for me (water not included). is that ok?
Old 09-16-2008, 07:05 AM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the past two months, I started taking muscle milk and have moved on to isopure.. I take two shakes (lunch time and when I get home from work before I goto the gym) about 5-6 days a week...

Maintain a good diet (solid breakfast, lunch, dinner with small healthy snacks in between)

I started weighing 154 when I began lifting. I'm currently 167 and I'm fitting into my 31 pants better than I did when I started.

oh, you're a veg? hmm... I see lots of soy protein in meals in your future
Old 09-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,299 Likes on 954 Posts
I'm not a big fan of doing shoulders the day after chest/tris. You'll need tris to military over your head some heavy weight. And yes, if you want to put on you best go heavy and add calories.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check out my post in this thread (post #6). a lot of it applies to you.

https://acurazine.com/forums/health-fitness-34/need-help-workout-diet-684362/
Old 09-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Damn you're thin, 5'10 and you were 105??
Old 09-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by zguy95135
Dude. I'm 5'10", 165 lbs, and have a size 31 waist. He's hella skinny.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Race Director

That sounds about my height and weight.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Registered speed offender

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
breakfast-protein-lunch-protien-dinner-casien protein before bed.

about 2-3 hours apart. u also need calories,so u probly want to use a weight gainer,BSN true mass is good.

since u dont eat meat,including protein drinks is a must. u cant rely on calories to get you big and help you recover.

also nitric oxide and creatine help aid in muscle growth and lower fatigue and soreness after. i highly recommend BSN cellmass and n.o. xplode.

these products are #1 on the market and i have seen extremely good gains from them.

u absolutely need a post workout protein and SIMPLE carbs. (about 20 grams of simple carbs from something like gatorade,or white rice or white bread) any other time u want to stick with COMPLEX carbs. (wheat products)

since u are a veg,eating as many green vegtables a day should be no prob for you,broccoli is especially good for the anti oxidents.

casien protein before bed keeps you as anabolic as possible and keeps protein thru your body while sleeping to feed your muscles thoughout the night.

drink ALOT of water and stay away from any refined carbs, (beer or soda etc)
Old 09-17-2008, 01:57 PM

post work out should be no MORE than 1 hour after work out,and PRE work out should be no more than 2 hours before workout, 1 hour before if its just a protein shake. this gets your body READY for the workout comming and better helps absorb your post workout nutrients later!

try to consume about 1-1/2 grams of protein per day per POUND of body weight. ie. me.. (230 lbs= 360grams of protein per day)

spread this protein thru the day not all in just a couple meals. complex carbs and protein are a must for EVERY meal. since u dont eat meat,protein drinks are essential. (think of them as groceries and spending an extra 100$ a month wont hurt so bad)
Old 09-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doom878
I'm not a big fan of doing shoulders the day after chest/tris. You'll need tris to military over your head some heavy weight. And yes, if you want to put on you best go heavy and add calories.
the way we have it set up it is impossible to go without at least one time where we have 2 days of back to back tris. is there another schedule you would suggest that would allow me to space it out better?

Originally Posted by 808havok_tsx
check out my post in this thread (post #6). a lot of it applies to you.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684362
a lot of very useful information. i'm not running so much to warm up as i am to wake up and get in better cardiovascular shape (i also do what you say in your post, ie warming up with light weights in the same motion). will running be counterproductive for my lifting?

Originally Posted by surfer rick
Dude. I'm 5'10", 165 lbs, and have a size 31 waist. He's hella skinny.
yeah i'm not particularly obese. my waist is 29.

Originally Posted by trackruner228
That sounds about my height and weight.
At last, my long lost twin.

Originally Posted by deltaboxxx
breakfast-protein-lunch-protien-dinner-casien protein before bed.

about 2-3 hours apart. u also need calories,so u probly want to use a weight gainer,BSN true mass is good.

since u dont eat meat,including protein drinks is a must. u cant rely on calories to get you big and help you recover.

also nitric oxide and creatine help aid in muscle growth and lower fatigue and soreness after. i highly recommend BSN cellmass and n.o. xplode.

these products are #1 on the market and i have seen extremely good gains from them.

u absolutely need a post workout protein and SIMPLE carbs. (about 20 grams of simple carbs from something like gatorade,or white rice or white bread) any other time u want to stick with COMPLEX carbs. (wheat products)

since u are a veg,eating as many green vegtables a day should be no prob for you,broccoli is especially good for the anti oxidents.

casien protein before bed keeps you as anabolic as possible and keeps protein thru your body while sleeping to feed your muscles thoughout the night.

drink ALOT of water and stay away from any refined carbs, (beer or soda etc)

post work out should be no MORE than 1 hour after work out,and PRE work out should be no more than 2 hours before workout, 1 hour before if its just a protein shake. this gets your body READY for the workout comming and better helps absorb your post workout nutrients later!

try to consume about 1-1/2 grams of protein per day per POUND of body weight. ie. me.. (230 lbs= 360grams of protein per day)

spread this protein thru the day not all in just a couple meals. complex carbs and protein are a must for EVERY meal. since u dont eat meat,protein drinks are essential. (think of them as groceries and spending an extra 100$ a month wont hurt so bad)
deltaboxxx's post was the most detailed, but thanks to all who posted diet info. i do try to balance the types of protein i get (my parents make some protein bars that have some of my whey protein powder, peanut butter, nuts, soy protein powder, etc). they are extremely expensive to make but taste a lot better than the shake, and alleviate my paranoia about having too much animal protein at the expense of plant proteins.

deltaboxxx--you suggest i get some simple sugars right after the workout. my whey protein powder has quite a bit of sugar in it...would that be sufficient, or do i need to have 20 grams of sugar on top of that? where can i find casein protein? (or do i get enough of that from the milk i mix with the whey protein powder?) i will see if i can get the creatine/nitric oxide products you mentioned. i'm not really worried about how much itll cost as long as i'm not being ripped off. i didn't realize that i wasn't consuming enough protein. ill up that immediately.

thanks everyone for your replies. keep em coming!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Team Owner

I used to lift only 3x a week. Well I still do but I do crossfit now. I would do:

Chest/Back
Legs
Shoulder/Biceps/Triceps
Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
5'10" and 105 is a BMI of 15.1, thats waaaaaay underweight. Normal is 18.5-25.

Even currently you are underweight.

I am by no means a diet/exercise guru, so I wont offer advice, but dude you need to gain some weight. I would seriously look at how/why you are so thin (being a veggie most likely, imo).
Old 09-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Even 120 sounds ridiculously skinny - eat eat eat!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:09 AM
TQ > MPG

I know some people just have a very high metabolism (I did in HS, when I graduated I was 5'10" 135lbs), but I ate a ton.

I cant see how you could even DO weight training weighing only 120lbs. You need some sort of base to build muscle on. First off I would seek the advice of a nutrionist to see what/if you are doing wrong, then go forward with the weight training.

At your height, a healthy weight would be 130-150lbs.

edit: Also are you 100% sure you really are 5'10" tall? ALOT of guys think they are taller than they actually are, same aswomen think they weigh less than they do. For example if you were 5'8" (commonly guys think they are 1-2" taller than they are) and you are 120lbs, you would be right on the edge of normal weight for your height. Double check your height, just for schitz n giggles.

Last edited by Joe5.0; 09-19-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:15 AM
TQ > MPG

Also you are from KC, how the hell do you not pound down a steak on accident???
Old 09-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by niju321
a lot of very useful information. i'm not running so much to warm up as i am to wake up and get in better cardiovascular shape (i also do what you say in your post, ie warming up with light weights in the same motion). will running be counterproductive for my lifting?
it really comes down to what your goals are. i always tell people to pick out an athlete's body type - triathlete, marathon runner, sprinter, swimmer, linebacker, etc., etc., etc.

in your case, you probably look a lot like a kenyan marathon runner without the cardio capacity. if your goal is to look like a sprinter, your workouts should reflect that. did you notice usain bolt running the 200m? he was going max effort and his face showed the pain he was in running the last 75 meters or so. for a 5k runner, 200m is still the start. their body type is different because their physical needs are different. their training reflects that and the result of their training dictates what their body ends up looking like. in other words, their bodies are a by-product of their workouts. their goal is to run their respective races, not to get a glam body.

so what body type do you want?
Old 09-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
You got a tape worm or something?

120 pounds Holy Crap thats skinny. My girlfriend is 5'3-5'4 and weighs around that.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:19 PM

deltaboxxx--you suggest i get some simple sugars right after the workout. my whey protein powder has quite a bit of sugar in it...would that be sufficient, or do i need to have 20 grams of sugar on top of that? where can i find casein protein? (or do i get enough of that from the milk i mix with the whey protein powder?) i will see if i can get the creatine/nitric oxide products you mentioned. i'm not really worried about how much itll cost as long as i'm not being ripped off. i didn't realize that i wasn't consuming enough protein. ill up that immediately.

thanks everyone for your replies. keep em coming![/QUOTE]

i am not sure which protein u take now but if it has more than 20G of carbs u should be fine.

i reccomend optimum nutrition 100% whey,for breakfast,pre work out,and post work out,there are a few companies that sell a casien only protein,optimum nutrition being one of them. i dont usualy reccomend using milk for protein,unless its nonfat or 1%..u are trying to gain wieght,but not body fat im sure so laying off the milk unless its nonfat wont hurt. i use water for my protein,if u have a GNC gold card,a 5LB tub of optimum nutrition WHEY is about 39$...this has 77 servings per tub. this usualy lasts me about a month,i use whey about 3-4 times a day,and i use 2-1/2 scoops giving me close to 60 grams of protein per shake. so this tub should last u a while and they have lots of flavors.

i cant stress enough how much BSN's n.o. xplode has helped me gain strength,and stamina in my workouts.

the same goes for the cellmass which makes me NEVER sore. (im always sore the day after when im cycling off from cell mass) i usualy only use it for 1 month,then take a month off,and so on.

the thing about 100% whey is that there is only 4G of carbs per serving so i usualy always have 10oz of gatorade immediatly after workout,then i do cardio for never more than 25 mins,then i go home and take my protien.

i work out 6 days a week. monday thru friday is usualy strength and cardio,and sat is only cardio.

if u drink ur whey within 2 hours before bed,u need casein directly before bed. stay below 200 calories if possible, optimum nutrition casien is a sure bet.

whey is not good before bed because is a quick release protein and wont last the 7-8 hours while u sleep,thats why casien is key. if u have any more questions feel free to pm me.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:24 PM

i do

monday:chest and tris
tuesday:back and bis
wed:traps
thurs:abs
friday: chest only

and always cardio right after.

the reason i do chest 2 times a week is cause i dont like to give my chest a full 7 days off because i feel like its too much time between. (some body builders agree/others dont)

this works extremely well for me,but may not for all.
almost every week for the past 2 months i have added close to 5lbs to my max bench,and im getting there on my bicep curls and tris extensions.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:22 AM
i like it dark

buuahahahaha, he said 5'10 120 lbs NOT FLABBY...no shit

as stated earlier, i dont think you should do chest tri's and then shoulders the next day...when you do chest you're putting alot of strain on your shoulders as well...

and again, you just gotta eat like a horse bro...you're young, eat all day and hit the gym hard...the weight will come in time

when i started lifting at age 22-23, i was 6'0 165ish, ...after a few years of eating and lifting (obviously with breaks in b/w), im at 6'1 and range b/w 197 and 205 depending on how much cardio/basketball im doing...
Old 09-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Racer

My schedule goes:
Chest/Tri's
Legs
Shoulders/Traps
Back/Bi's

Deltaboxxx: isnt 1.5G/lb quite a bit? Most of the articles I've read say 0.3g/lb for the normal person and 0.9g/lb for athletes. Although for his weight and being a veggie, 180g a day isn't too much.

End of highschool i was 5'9 135. Just started working out last year at work being in camps. Gained 10lb right away just eating alot more. When at camp I weigh 180lb. Since I've been back home for a couple months I've dropped down to 170lb just because I eat nowhere near as much.

I'd say if you're already up 15lb from when you started working out, main way to keep gaining would be, like others have said, diet. If I kept to a strict diet I could probably hit close to 190.

At 5'9 180 the BMI says I'm technically overweight but still look pretty small, and I've always been skinny. Right diet and keep working out I'm sure you could hit 150.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:01 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
dude im two inches taller than you and i weight between 180-190 depending on the time of year. people say im skinny. you need to put on a solid thirty pounds and then start working out
Old 10-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Team Owner

You're saying he should be 5'9 205? 170 is fine for a 5'9 guy. It's probably ideal IMO. The MMA welterweights (170) look big at that weight. And why gain first and then work out? His diet and financial goals will determine if he gains/loses weight.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:48 PM
i like it dark

Originally Posted by invisiblewar
dude im two inches taller than you and i weight between 180-190 depending on the time of year. people say im skinny. you need to put on a solid thirty pounds and then start working out
dude, you're dumb...gain 30 lbs then START working out? he needs to eat all day and work out simultaneously...gaining 30 lbs without working out is un-healthy, and if he did do that he'd have to work 2x as hard to get toned/cut/ripped...OP, there's alot of good info that other members had mentioned, just not this guy that has you doing shit ass backwards
Old 10-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Doom878
You're saying he should be 5'9 205? 170 is fine for a 5'9 guy. It's probably ideal IMO. The MMA welterweights (170) look big at that weight. And why gain first and then work out? His diet and financial goals will determine if he gains/loses weight.
I said financial. I meant to say fitness.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:44 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
financial goals

Good luck, OP
Old 10-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Too much economy news
Old 10-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Racer

I think he was telling OP to put on 30lb, not me.

If i was 5'9 200-210 I'd be a tank. Though that would be like having a Brian Westbrook physique which I wouldn't mine. Hes a tank for his size.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:32 AM

i am 236 lbs at 5'6
Old 10-02-2008, 04:38 AM
¿baCon?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bro, I was 125 at 5'10 2 years ago, now i'm 185 3% body fat, pretty ripped up....

this is my routine...

monday chest/shoulders/tris
tue back/abs/bis
wed legs/
thursday traps/abs/forearms
fri-sat off
sunday all weightless exercises ie, pullups, situps, pushups.

i eat about 5500+ calories a day NO cardio.

3 weight gain/mass shakes a day
Old 10-02-2008, 06:48 AM
Team Owner

You suck. You have a lightning metabolism
Old 10-02-2008, 02:42 PM

i cant use weight gainers,i wish my body required it...im still at a high percentage of BF that im not happy with. but im still muscular,esp in my arms back and chest. all my bf is in my belly,thats the main part.

i dont pay enough attn to my protein intake lately,because when i do,it gets real expensive..60G of protein 6 times a day is rough.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i am 236 lbs at 5'6
Old 10-05-2008, 11:39 PM

^ im not fat lol
Old 10-05-2008, 11:47 PM

however,i AM still trying to cut down.

its hard to bulk up and cut down at the same time.

Last edited by deltaboxxx; 10-05-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Team Owner

Dude you're heavy because of all that ink.

Seriously, you probably need to re-evaluate your workout and your diet. You already have the bulk there, now you need to cut it up.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
its hard to bulk up and cut down at the same time.
That's because you can't... you have to bulk THEN cut. It's basically impossible to do both at the same time, they require different work outs and completely different diets.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:15 PM

^thats why i said its hard to do both.

im not strong enough to my liking. and im not bulk enough to my liking. so im not focusing on just cutting yet. so im trying to bulk (main focus) and cut as much as possible.
(how do u think old school guys did it?) old school body builders didnt do off season bulking. so it is possible. u just have to eat LEAN. but the anabolic i am on requires 100grams of carbs before workout,which is alottt. but its making me extremely strong.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:20 PM

^ as long as my stomache has the ab line down the middle i am ok with it...i am going to start focusing on cutting next month when i finish my anabolic.
i will post a pic later of how big i used to be,and you guys will see,i know how my body works as far as cutting down,cause ive lost 47lbs in 3-1/2 months before. and i wasnt un healthy after lol.

oh and by the way,

ps. i do have a lot of ink dont i :wink:

Quick Reply: am i going to kill myself/being too ez on myself/just right