Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

ABreece, Gavrill, i need Ab advice

Old 10-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
ABreece, Gavrill, i need Ab advice

So im not fat, and i have been lifting i weigh about 172 im 5'11". I've been working on my abs for the last 4 or 5 months, but only seeing slight improvements, i know i need to do some sort of cardio, because tell you the truth i really dont do any.

I lift Tue, Thu, and Sat. What do you guys think about running Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun? How much should i run, like how long? I would like to start but just not really sure what the most effective way is. Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Bring out the 6 pack!!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Hows your diet?

"ABs are made in the kitchen" I should visit the kitchen more
Old 10-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe you mentioned something about drinking a lot, reducing that would help. Also, reading the thread about fat loss would definately help.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Old 10-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Cardio isn't necessary. Like AD said, it's your diet.

Now that doesn't mean cardio won't help. But you have to get a handle on your diet first. You need to keep track of what you're eating daily and make sure it's less than what you're burning.

Unless you're one of those crazy people with super metabolisms, a nice 6 pack takes a lot of effort.

Once you have your diet in check, 30-40 minutes of cardio 2-3 times a week isn't a bad idea.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by ABreece
Cardio isn't necessary. Like AD said, it's your diet.

Now that doesn't mean cardio won't help. But you have to get a handle on your diet first. You need to keep track of what you're eating daily and make sure it's less than what you're burning.

Unless you're one of those crazy people with super metabolisms, a nice 6 pack takes a lot of effort.

Once you have your diet in check, 30-40 minutes of cardio 2-3 times a week isn't a bad idea.
thanks for the advice, ive been changing my diet, i no longer drink coke, or eat fast food, i drink alot of water and milk and eat 5-6 small meals a day..
I guess im going to start running 4 times a week for about 45 minutes, i dont have a super metabolism but i have a decent one, i havent gained any fat in years, just trying to get that little extra "skin" of my stomach so the 6 pack can come through.

anothercls...

I used to drink alot, but i cut down to only on the weekends now, if that.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,299 Likes on 954 Posts
I'd say do cardio anyways to help your stamina.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
You can't get a six pack just from being skinny, you need to build up the muscle. You need to lift your abs like you would any other body part. Not in sets of 50 sit ups, but sets of 8-12. Get on an ab resistance machine, do leg raises on the dip bars with someone smacking your feet down, etc.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:22 PM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You need a rest day... don't just fill your non-lifting days with cardio, give your body a day or two each week to recover.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:13 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
I recommend sex. Long hard strokes (heavy lifting) followed by short ones later on in the week.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have abs under my gut. I have trouble trying to lose my gut.

I can't do intense cardio due to a bum knee.

It sounds like dieting is the key get losing the gut. But there are so many dieting techniques it makes my head spin. I just try not to eat too many fatty foods.

Is there a simple way to diet without getting overwhelmed?
Old 10-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mantis23

use common sense
Old 10-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mantis23
I have abs under my gut. I have trouble trying to lose my gut.

I can't do intense cardio due to a bum knee.

It sounds like dieting is the key get losing the gut. But there are so many dieting techniques it makes my head spin. I just try not to eat too many fatty foods.

Check my nutrition sticky. Most dieting techniques are junk.

Eat fewer calories than your body burns and you'll lose weight.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
use common sense

That is something I lack.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by ABreece
Check my nutrition sticky. Most dieting techniques are junk.

Eat fewer calories than your body burns and you'll lose weight.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2005, 04:00 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Drink lots of water. Speeds up your metabolism. Best part is, whatever goes in comes out.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftyFive
So im not fat, and i have been lifting i weigh about 172 im 5'11". I've been working on my abs for the last 4 or 5 months, but only seeing slight improvements, i know i need to do some sort of cardio, because tell you the truth i really dont do any.

I lift Tue, Thu, and Sat. What do you guys think about running Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun? How much should i run, like how long? I would like to start but just not really sure what the most effective way is. Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Bring out the 6 pack!!
Thanks for putting my screenname in your subject. I appreciate it.

A number of things come to mind for the above.

To see your abs, you need to work on that goal from two angles.

1. Make the muscle grow
2. Make the fat around the muscle decrease

About the former goal:

I think this is one of the most misunderstood muscle groups. That is, how to make your abs grow. Everyone goes for number of reps for it. Fortunately, the abs respond the same exact way as other skeletal muscle does. That is, it grows faster when it's overloaded and when intensity is high (as far as stimulation is concerned).

So in other words, if your goal is to make your abs grow, you have to work your abs like you do your legs, your chest, etc. Apply the MAX OT principles. Warmup with 12-16 reps for a couple of very light sets, start acclimating by adding some weight and go for a 4-6 rep overload set (or two). This last set or last couple of sets are the only sets that will grow muscle. Avoid isolation, as always. I use the decline/inclide bench and do 6 reps during my OL set with a 60 pound dumbell on my upper chest (I put a small towel between the weight and my chest). Strong and explosive abs are very important for vball players so it's one of the muscles I use most when playing the sport I love.

So, before you start cardio and diets, make sure you are working on increasing the abs' total mass.

About the latter goal (2. Make the fat around the muscle decrease):

I dont like cardio that is about running till the end of time. I dont think it does as much as high intensity cardio. I think that most of us can achieve similar goals with no more than 16 minutes of very high intensity cardio. As long as you strive to break your previous record with regard to distance-covered (and that is what guarrantees high intensity), you are achieving results.

I prefer running, to treadmills. I prefer high intensity drills also. That way I am killing two birds with one stone (vball training). I have to say that currently I do not do cardio at all (whatever I get from open gym vball is what I get with regard to cardio). Power is my primary goal as of the past 5 months. Strength is my secondary goal (strength was my only goal up to 5 months ago).

It's preferable to execute on cardio and lifting on separate days, but that's not always possible. The second best is to separate the two by at least 8 hours. If that's not also possible, then you have to decide which one is most important and put that one first.

As far as diets, I would follow the primary principles of stephany who posted in a different thread. Ban no food, eat frequently and prefer natural foods to processed. Dont overdose on anything. No particular food and no particular supplement. Everything will come together in time that way.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by gavriil
Thanks for putting my screenname in your subject. I appreciate it.

A number of things come to mind for the above.

To see your abs, you need to work on that goal from two angles.

1. Make the muscle grow
2. Make the fat around the muscle decrease

About the former goal:

I think this is one of the most misunderstood muscle groups. That is, how to make your abs grow. Everyone goes for number of reps for it. Fortunately, the abs respond the same exact way as other skeletal muscle does. That is, it grows faster when it's overloaded and when intensity is high (as far as stimulation is concerned).

So in other words, if your goal is to make your abs grow, you have to work your abs like you do your legs, your chest, etc. Apply the MAX OT principles. Warmup with 12-16 reps for a couple of very light sets, start acclimating by adding some weight and go for a 4-6 rep overload set (or two). This last set or last couple of sets are the only sets that will grow muscle. Avoid isolation, as always. I use the decline/inclide bench and do 6 reps during my OL set with a 60 pound dumbell on my upper chest (I put a small towel between the weight and my chest). Strong and explosive abs are very important for vball players so it's one of the muscles I use most when playing the sport I love.

So, before you start cardio and diets, make sure you are working on increasing the abs' total mass.

About the latter goal (2. Make the fat around the muscle decrease):

I dont like cardio that is about running till the end of time. I dont think it does as much as high intensity cardio. I think that most of us can achieve similar goals with no more than 16 minutes of very high intensity cardio. As long as you strive to break your previous record with regard to distance-covered (and that is what guarrantees high intensity), you are achieving results.

I prefer running, to treadmills. I prefer high intensity drills also. That way I am killing two birds with one stone (vball training). I have to say that currently I do not do cardio at all (whatever I get from open gym vball is what I get with regard to cardio). Power is my primary goal as of the past 5 months. Strength is my secondary goal (strength was my only goal up to 5 months ago).

It's preferable to execute on cardio and lifting on separate days, but that's not always possible. The second best is to separate the two by at least 8 hours. If that's not also possible, then you have to decide which one is most important and put that one first.

As far as diets, I would follow the primary principles of stephany who posted in a different thread. Ban no food, eat frequently and prefer natural foods to processed. Dont overdose on anything. No particular food and no particular supplement. Everything will come together in time that way.

Hope this helps.
Thanks alot! i am now going to change my ab technique which was usually geared to more reps, i didnt even realize i should be doing lower reps with more weight, just like every other muscle i train.

As for cardio im gonna hit the treadmil everyother day for an hour, and try run outside when i get the chance, hopefully by spring i should have some development in my abs. There is a tiny little bit of fat that is covering my abs, my top two abs are fully exposed, but other than that not much.

Thanks again!
Old 10-23-2005, 11:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,299 Likes on 954 Posts
How's power different than strenght?

And what do you think about gassers? In other words doing like 10 50-yard sprints for example with 30 second breaks in betweens.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
How's power different than strenght?
About the above, I've been thinking of opening a new thread and explaining all thhe fascinating things I have found over the past year. It is my favorite subject.

Let me just say this, when I found out that there IS a difference between power and strength, I almost quit going to the gym (for any reason) all together. It was that much of a shock to me!

I will do that, probably either tonight or tomorrow night cos I am off for the airport for San Fran right now, for a week-long business trip.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Do low intesity cardio 135-145 bpm) if you are trying to get abs...and cut up in general. I went from 13.5-14% body fat to 1.8-ish in 2 months by walking (3.5 mph) on the tredmill on a steep incline for 35-40 min 4-5 times per week. If you really clean up your diet, you don't relly have to do cardio, but a religous diet that would get and keep you lean is tough to maintain for long periods of time, I thnk of carido as a "buffer" for eating "bad" from time to time.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
Do low intesity cardio 135-145 bpm) if you are trying to get abs...and cut up in general. I went from 13.5-14% body fat to 1.8-ish in 2 months by walking (3.5 mph) on the tredmill on a steep incline for 35-40 min 4-5 times per week. If you really clean up your diet, you don't relly have to do cardio, but a religous diet that would get and keep you lean is tough to maintain for long periods of time, I thnk of carido as a "buffer" for eating "bad" from time to time.
You'd be dead if you hit 1.8% bodyfat.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
11.8-ish...