Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TL Takata Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 01:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Important

Let me weigh in on this part, since I am a licensed agent.
-every company is different, get your answer in writing, even if just an email

-many companies do not extend past 30 days

-if coverage does extend to rental it does not have a limit on value of the car. It will be actual cash value of whatever car you drive, subject to your deductibles (this includes depreciation) so if you own a Civic and rent a Lexus, your policy will cover it, but again not a replacement cost.

-**IMPORTANT** insurance only covers DIRECT DAMAGE. this means things like loss of use of the rental car are on you. Say the company can't rent their car, they can charge you that daily rate since they are losing out, insurance WILL NOT pay it

-many insurance companies take care of the above with their own discount plan with the rental agency, but if Acura is paying, then you are not under the insurance company discount plan. They have a code to give to the rental company

-Storage, check your carrier. USAA still extends to a borrowed rented vehicle if you have their storage discount. BUT, if you drop liability or collision, and that is the ONLY OTHER CAR ON THE POLICY, there is no coverage extending to the rental. (very common mistake). One car has to have coverage to extend

Bottom line, unless you buy the rental company insurance, you may have some out of pocket cost if you wreck the rental car.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:27 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
-many companies do not extend past 30 days---
So why can't a new, different rental be done every 30 days ?

-**IMPORTANT** insurance only covers DIRECT DAMAGE. this means things like loss of use of the rental car are on you. Say the company can't rent their car, they can charge you that daily rate since they are losing out, insurance WILL NOT pay it
What exactly are you saying here ? What if the rental car gets stolen ? thats not covered ?

-many insurance companies take care of the above with their own discount plan with the rental agency, but if Acura is paying, then you are not under the insurance company discount plan. They have a code to give to the rental company--
Not sure what you mean here. If we have insurance, it would extend over to the rental car. Do you mean if we purchase insurance thru the rental ? company ?

Bottom line, unless you buy the rental company insurance, you may have some out of pocket cost if you wreck the rental car.
Why ? If I have full coverage on my TL, why wouldn't I have full coverage on my rental car ?
Old 03-31-2016, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

yes, but only for direct damage. That's just how the contracts are written. They wont pay the rental agencies admin fees. This should apply to all auto insurance carrier. So imagine you wreck and Enterprise wants you to pay their loss of use at like $35 a day.. That's all on you.

Now some insurance companies have referral type partnerships that help. For instance if you rent a car for you own use, not related to an insurance claim, you use the "discount code" or whatever they call it, and the agreement is that the rental co will waive the INDIRECT damage charges.

But in these cases our rentals are through some Acura dealer agreement. Whenever I have asked enterprise if they could add the USAA member plan (in my case) they have always said no.

You could always ask the rental agency, and that's if your insurance carrier has a plan that gives discounts and perks.

Indirect damage waiver is what you are looking for. Both the carrier and rental co will know what this is.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:44 PM
Intermediate

As far as the 30 day rule, double check your insurance company of course. I have seen in previous posts that they were told to go the rental company and redo the contract every 30 days. This restarts the clock, so to speak
Old 03-31-2016, 05:28 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ACURA2121
When I tried to get out of my lease the said a contract is a contract.. Tried to explain if I wanted to lease a Ford I would have went spent $100 less a month and leased one. Was just curious if anyone got different answers from a supervisor, since they refused to connect me to one. That one would call me back at earliest connivance. Just frustrating to be paying for luxury car lease and drive a Ford Fusion.
I was told the same thing. My TL isn't a lease, but my RDX is. I told them I didn't want to pay for my lease during the months I have to drive a Hyundai then and they offered to extend my next payment until May. I said, "No, you don't get it. I don't need my payment extended, I'm not hurting for money, I don't want to pay, period, while my car is not safe to drive." Ultimately got nowhere. They sent me the paperwork to extend my payment until next month and it also extends the lease by a month, so no thank you.

I filed a claim today with National Center for Dispute Settlement, Acura's third party arbitrator. After spending hours on the phone over the past week with Acura Client Relations, I've realized they are useless and the only way to get anywhere is to escalate the issue.

I did speak with an attorney and he says I have a valid claim. He told me to first request Acura buy back my vehicle. When that doesn't work, I'll have the attorney involved.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

right there with you

Originally Posted by chodges3
I was told the same thing. My TL isn't a lease, but my RDX is. I told them I didn't want to pay for my lease during the months I have to drive a Hyundai then and they offered to extend my next payment until May. I said, "No, you don't get it. I don't need my payment extended, I'm not hurting for money, I don't want to pay, period, while my car is not safe to drive." Ultimately got nowhere. They sent me the paperwork to extend my payment until next month and it also extends the lease by a month, so no thank you.

I filed a claim today with National Center for Dispute Settlement, Acura's third party arbitrator. After spending hours on the phone over the past week with Acura Client Relations, I've realized they are useless and the only way to get anywhere is to escalate the issue.

I did speak with an attorney and he says I have a valid claim. He told me to first request Acura buy back my vehicle. When that doesn't work, I'll have the attorney involved.
This is so frustrating i keep getting the run around!!!!! They haven't put me in a rental yet and i called about 2 weeks ago! I have been calling daily to the dealer and client relations. Not sure of the next step because everyone keeps sending me elsewhere with no solution. Also going to speak to a lawyer. it can't be safe for my family in my state with high humidity to keep driving this car for one!!! secondly, I agree I do not think its acceptable to be paying a high lease payment for the brand and gimmicks of an acura rdx and then they give you a hyundai! from how it sounds that is likely what they will give me but how can that be fair, the principal! your paying for a product in the lease and they aren't owning up to their end of the agreement! And to think this is going to go on into the summer 2016!!!!
Old 03-31-2016, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
I would like to provide my input here. So I called my insurance today, state farm, and they said they only cover for 21 consecutive days for any rental cars. That means I have to return the rental every 21 days to get a new contract. Then I contacted my local dealership and asked the manager whether they can help out with the insurance part so I don't have to come in every 21 days, and he said ok, just have the enterprise to call me. I called the enterprise, and they said ok no problem, just come in and sign the damage waiver paper. Yep, my dealership is paying $14 per day for the damage waiver insurance
For those who are concerned about the insurance, call the dealership and ask if they can help!
I guess I will be taking my TL to my local dealership for services now..! I thought they were overpriced but after this smooth sailing on getting a rental car, damage waiver, and a decent SUV, they have earned my business!!
Old 03-31-2016, 10:34 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
if you have a lease, id wouldnt even bother doing this.. you pay to rent the car to drive so just drive it..

for others like myself that have bought the car, we can take advantage of not putting miles or wear and tear for nearly half a year so thats good for it.

as far as putting a hold on your insurance, it all depends on your insurance policy.. if you have what i have then it should cover.. it covers you as long as you are on the policy itself. i have 4 cars in that policy so taking 1 off isnt going to make a difference but you do lose the multi car discount.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:00 AM
Drifting

Couple dealerships in the tri state area I have talked to have said that the parts to do the airbag repair could be available by MAY. Has anyone heard the same ? My recall notice says Summer.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:07 AM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
Couple dealerships in the tri state area I have talked to have said that the parts to do the airbag repair could be available by MAY. Has anyone heard the same ? My recall notice says Summer.
The SA I spoke with yesterday said it could be this summer or it could be next month, they don't know. So it might be sooner than some people expect but we're really in the dark on this.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:36 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
for others like myself that have bought the car, we can take advantage of not putting miles or wear and tear for nearly half a year so thats good for it.
^^^This! Sure the safety factor was also considered in my decision since I live in a high heat/humidity area, but the fact I can park my car for a few months and put miles/wear & tear on a free rental was a no brainer. It's tough not driving the TL (particularly since it's MT) but it's also nice to be worry free. I can park wherever I want, drive normal over speed bumps, not worry about which lane I'm driving in (since I know all of the bumps/dips on my drive home), etc...and best of all not wash a car for a few months! I put over 15k miles a year on the TL so I'm saving at least a few thousand miles and pushing back the inevitable expenses like new tires and the more expensive services (like timing belt, etc.).

The rental isn't too bad either. It's a 2015 Chevy Malibu LTZ with 5k miles. No navigation or rear camera, but it has leather and remote start. I'm getting ~5 miles more per gallon and of course it doesn't require premium fuel.

Before picking it up I reached out to ACR to try and get approved for something nicer but it was all for nothing as I got nowhere. My local dealer said they'd approve a premium tier vehicle (which is about $45 per day) but the Enterprise I'm dealing with is low on inventory due to the recall and Spring Break.

I may get into a fully loaded Altima when they get one in if I like it more than the Malibu. It has some features the Malibu is lacking and is close to the same size inside (important since I have car seats in the back). There aren't many options in that tier. I actually went in to switch to a 2016 Chevy Impala, but when I got there I realized there are two different 2016 Impalas and this one was not the nice big one. It was the Limited which is only produced for fleet/police vehicles. The Malibu I'm in is much nicer.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I also live in the tristate area..My dealer also said other customers including myself with loaners should get the part by the beginning of next month ... but I don't know for sure if it was a contradiction knowing that

1. it's a lot of cars out there that needs the part.

2.Including other car company's (ford,toyota, mazda).

3. They intially said they were working on states with high humidity.

I when it comes it comes.

Does anyone know if this affected Subaru company ...I didn't check the recall site for them was just asking since we're in the topic of discussion? And I haven't heard anything about them
Old 04-01-2016, 12:46 PM
7th Gear

I called up ACR this morning and set me up for a claim number. On Monday ill be going to my local delership so they can confirm the mileage of my TL and set me up for a rental.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by real_mckoy
I also live in the tristate area..My dealer also said other customers including myself with loaners should get the part by the beginning of next month ... but I don't know for sure if it was a contradiction knowing that
Dream on. My Acura dealer told me today; see you in September!

BTW, my Acura dealer, Zimbrick Acura, is amazing. We've been going there for over 20 years, bought 2 Acuras from them, and have received the greatest service. Sorry to hear it's not the case elsewhere, but I can tell you Zimbrick is a class act!
Old 04-01-2016, 02:35 PM
Instructor

So I went over to Zimbrick Acura this morning, signed the agreement, left them my car and they drove me over to Enterprise. The guys at Enterprise were very helpful. I had a choice: Ford Focus or Mazda CX-5. Of course I took the Mazda. The car has Michigan license plates (they had to bring over some cars to Madison because they ran out!).

2016 CX-5, pretty much brand new. Lovely car. I think it will work fine for us. It's a mini-SUV. Sort of like my old PT Cruiser. It has a button instead of a key to start the car... Also has a rear camera, which is kind of nice (we didn't get the technology package with our Acura TL, unfortunately).

It shows it's $36.99 per day on the rental agreement. I have to bring it in every 30 days for them to inspect the car, to check for service maintenance (like oil, etc.) and to see if there is any damage to the car. I signed off their insurance, since I am going to have my current auto insurance cover me while I have the car. For several months, it looks like.

The Enterprise guy did a thorough check of the car for any scratches (hardly any), and noted them all down. He said when I come back to get the new car agreement a month from now, I could change to another car if I wanted. They will call and remind me to bring the car in. You have a two-day leeway.

I'm not as dismayed as I originally was about this whole ordeal.

And my other Acura has been fixed; I'm getting it tomorrow. So at least we have one of them to drive.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:30 PM
Drifting

I got my rental today. 2016 Maxima. I have to say coming from my 4G TL, I am pretty impressed. It has everything my TL has (and more) in the base model, minus the heated seats and sunroof. It's not quite as fast as my 6 speed 4G but its really close.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:13 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverJ
My dealer in South TX said they expect to see the first ones within two weeks, but they will be for the ILX. No word yet on parts avail. for the TL other than Summer 2016
Old 04-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Advanced

if you have a lease, id wouldnt even bother doing this.. you pay to rent the car to drive so just drive it..

:: SNIP ::
Not exactly - they pay to "rent" safe car, not one with a known safety defect!
Old 04-02-2016, 02:05 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
Originally Posted by RKEnnis
Not exactly - they pay to "rent" safe car, not one with a known safety defect!
i was talking about getting a enterprise rental.. not the repair.. ofcourse you are going to get it repaired.. but no need to get a rental on a lease when you are paying monthly on a lease and not driving it.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:19 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Takata Airbag Inflator Recall Update - March 29, 2016

http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...bh1/embed/auto
The following users liked this post:
crxb (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EE4Life
Takata Airbag Inflator Recall Update - March 29, 2016

Takata Airbag Inflator Recall Update - March 29 2016
nice to hear that some people will get their cars fixed. RDX, and ILX; probably in the south where it's hot and humid. 35K inflators won't go far though, especially after they sent out, what was it, 2.3 million recalls last week?
Old 04-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Well, when I first got my rental I was given the Hyundai Santa Fe .....with a little pestering I'm up to a Chevy Suburban , it's a little big, but I'll take the leather and navi
Old 04-02-2016, 04:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PinotGrigio
Well, when I first got my rental I was given the Hyundai Santa Fe .....with a little pestering I'm up to a Chevy Suburban , it's a little big, but I'll take the leather and navi
A little big??? LOL! That's a monster. Are you planning to haul stuff around? I'll keep my Mazda CX-5, thank you!
Old 04-02-2016, 06:47 PM
Intermediate

Your car might get fixed faster than you think though . My dealer just bumped up the date from late August to mid May.. Anyone else got moved up too?
Old 04-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kain1009
Your car might get fixed faster than you think though . My dealer just bumped up the date from late August to mid May.. Anyone else got moved up too?
Well, that works for me! Hope so.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Advanced

i was talking about getting a enterprise rental.. not the repair.. ofcourse you are going to get it repaired.. but no need to get a rental on a lease when you are paying monthly on a lease and not driving it.
Sorry, I don't understand at all what you mean. It's not like they are gonna swap the leased car with a different one.

What will you drive while the leased car is sitting?
Old 04-04-2016, 10:56 AM
3rd Gear

Have been following this thread for a while hoping there would be some lease discussion.

I have a 2014 TL lease with 11 payments left. I am paying close to $700/month to drive a TL and thought it was ridiculous to drive an enterprise rental for 5-6 months at that price. If i wanted to drive a Chevy Impala, i would have leased one.
Doing the math, Acura will spend more on my Enterprise rental car in the next 5-6 months, than i will make payments in the next 11 months. As a lease, they are losing money by doing so and should allow us to just give the keys back and call it a day.

I tried convincing this to Acura client relations, the case manager who called me, the dealer service manager, and the dealer general manager and got nowhere. The best i got was they are willing to buy my car for its value (which as a lease is less than the payoff).
If anyone with a lease is successful in getting somewhere, I'd love to hear how.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I received the recall letter today. I have a feeling that if you get a rental/loaner, you'll be getting the recall done faster than others who don't. So I am gonna get mine soon.

Originally Posted by billy2828
Have been following this thread for a while hoping there would be some lease discussion.

I have a 2014 TL lease with 11 payments left. I am paying close to $700/month to drive a TL and thought it was ridiculous to drive an enterprise rental for 5-6 months at that price. If i wanted to drive a Chevy Impala, i would have leased one.
Doing the math, Acura will spend more on my Enterprise rental car in the next 5-6 months, than i will make payments in the next 11 months. As a lease, they are losing money by doing so and should allow us to just give the keys back and call it a day.

I tried convincing this to Acura client relations, the case manager who called me, the dealer service manager, and the dealer general manager and got nowhere. The best i got was they are willing to buy my car for its value (which as a lease is less than the payoff).
If anyone with a lease is successful in getting somewhere, I'd love to hear how.
Man, I can't help you but you are paying $700/mo to lease the TL then you are in trouble one way or another
Old 04-04-2016, 11:25 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I received the recall letter today. I have a feeling that if you get a rental/loaner, you'll be getting the recall done faster than others who don't. So I am gonna get mine soon.

Man, I can't help you but you are paying $700/mo to lease the TL then you are in trouble one way or another
The lease payment is partially so high due to the taxes where i live.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Since you only have lass than a year on your lease, can't you renegotiate something on a new TLX or something for another 3 years?

Plus almost $700 per month sounds incredibly high. I'd expect a Beamer/Mercedes for that kind of money. Taxes can't be more that 10%...
Old 04-04-2016, 11:51 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by lbotez
Since you only have lass than a year on your lease, can't you renegotiate something on a new TLX or something for another 3 years?

Plus almost $700 per month sounds incredibly high. I'd expect a Beamer/Mercedes for that kind of money. Taxes can't be more that 10%...
I probably could but dont want to drive a TLX for several reasons (main one is i want a manual transmission)
The lease tax laws changed in Illinois recently. Prior to 1/1, they would tax the full cost of the vehicle and roll it into the lease payments... Illinois residents will now pay taxes only on the lease payments
I shopped the lease to several dealers and this was the lowest i could get from any dealer at the time (even after playing them against each other)
Old 04-04-2016, 12:02 PM
Instructor

I probably could but dont want to drive a TLX for several reasons (main one is i want a manual transmission)
The lease tax laws changed in Illinois recently. Prior to 1/1, they would tax the full cost of the vehicle and roll it into the lease payments... Illinois residents will now pay taxes only on the lease payments
I shopped the lease to several dealers and this was the lowest i could get from any dealer at the time (even after playing them against each other)
so you are essentially paying double for taxes? Do you get a refund at the end of lease (I'm guessing probably not). Why would anyone have leased a car before they changed it then? What's the benefit? Why not buy outright?

Good luck. You are really getting screwed.

Last edited by lbotez; 04-04-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:16 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I have an appt scheduled for tomorrow to pickup a rental while the TL stays at home. I told the Enterprise manager that I wanted to reserve a car no smaller than an Altima and she said that wouldn't be a problem because my dealer approved me for an SUV. I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow.

On another note, I spoke to my SA earlier to confirm the appt and I asked him if he has any update as to the ETA of parts. He told me nothing has changed, they are not expecting any parts to start arriving until mid summer at best.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:39 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
My dealer just confirmed they are starting the cars and moving them around every few days to keep them from degrading too much. He also said he believed he will get the part on April 11. Not what the video said, but I am hopeful.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:22 PM
7th Gear

I got my rental today, did you guys get charged a daily fee?
Old 04-04-2016, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

So I went over to Zimbrick Acura this morning, signed the agreement, left them my car and they drove me over to Enterprise. The guys at Enterprise were very helpful. I had a choice: Ford Focus or Mazda CX-5. Of course I took the Mazda. The car has Michigan license plates (they had to bring over some cars to Madison because they ran out!).

2016 CX-5, pretty much brand new. Lovely car. I think it will work fine for us. It's a mini-SUV. Sort of like my old PT Cruiser. It has a button instead of a key to start the car... Also has a rear camera, which is kind of nice (we didn't get the technology package with our Acura TL, unfortunately).

It shows it's $36.99 per day on the rental agreement. I have to bring it in every 30 days for them to inspect the car, to check for service maintenance (like oil, etc.) and to see if there is any damage to the car. I signed off their insurance, since I am going to have my current auto insurance cover me while I have the car. For several months, it looks like.

The Enterprise guy did a thorough check of the car for any scratches (hardly any), and noted them all down. He said when I come back to get the new car agreement a month from now, I could change to another car if I wanted. They will call and remind me to bring the car in. You have a two-day leeway.

I'm not as dismayed as I originally was about this whole ordeal.

And my other Acura has been fixed; I'm getting it tomorrow. So at least we have one of them to drive.
Like stated above, your insurance is only covering DIRECT DAMAGE. Call and ask them to explain it to you. There is still some risk to you when you decline the rental car insurance, which most do because they can't afford it.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:33 PM
10th Gear

Takayama airbag recall

Is it safe to still drive the car around and what is the only way the airbag will deploy in a car cash or randomly?
Old 04-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jamflo1
Is it safe to still drive the car around and what is the only way the airbag will deploy in a car cash or randomly?
No guarantees; don't drive the car, get the free rental they are offering. The affected airbag on my TL is only on the driver side (though yours may vary). There have been 10 deaths and 138 or more injuries reported; most on Hondas. The airbag can go off from a head-on collision and/or hitting something in the front (like a telephone pole, parked car, etc.). If you live in a warm and humid state, it is always a possibility it could go off, though I don't think it's at random.

The odds are extremely low, but I don't want to play that game. If you got a recall notification, then you have been warned.

This was on the top of the recall letter (in all caps):

THE DEFECT IN THESE VEHICLES COULD KILL OR INJURE YOU OR OTHER PEOPLE IN YOUR VEHICLE.

Doesn't sound safe to me.

Last edited by lbotez; 04-04-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:58 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by emanon256
My dealer just confirmed they are starting the cars and moving them around every few days to keep them from degrading too much. He also said he believed he will get the part on April 11. Not what the video said, but I am hopeful.
^^I really hope this is the case but I find it highly unlikely anyone will see parts next week.. I hope I'm wrong because this would be great.

IMO, if we're lucky we may start hearing about parts hitting the dealers sometime in June.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My dealer told me basis the latest data received from Acura there hasn't been one case of a faulty airbag in an Acura worldwide as of March 28,2016.

So the odds are extremely low.

No guarantees; don't drive the car, get the free rental they are offering. The affected airbag on my TL is only on the driver side (though yours may vary). There have been 10 deaths and 138 or more injuries reported; most on Hondas. The airbag can go off from a head-on collision and/or hitting something in the front (like a telephone pole, parked car, etc.). If you live in a warm and humid state, it is always a possibility it could go off, though I don't think it's at random.

The odds are extremely low, but I don't want to play that game. If you got a recall notification, then you have been warned.

This was on the top of the recall letter (in all caps):

THE DEFECT IN THESE VEHICLES COULD KILL OR INJURE YOU OR OTHER PEOPLE IN YOUR VEHICLE.

Doesn't sound safe to me.

Quick Reply: TL Takata Airbag Recall