Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sound deadening on the floor panel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:32 PM
hyh
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sound deadening on the floor panel?

I did something stupid to my 2010 TL SH-AWD to start with... But anyway, here's what happened:

I jacked up the car on the wrong spot and caused a dent on the floor panel right underneath the cockpit. I pulled the carpet and hammered the dent back down. However, I destroyed the layer of black stuff that looks like for sound deadening. It looks like just a sheet about 1/8'' thick glued onto the panel. It's barely flexible but breaks very easily as you bend it more.

I searched the parts store and no luck. Not sure if they just sell it together with the floor panels or not. Any luck I can get an oem replacement for that?

They closest aftermarket match I can find is Evercoat Q pads:
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=50

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Sound deadening on the floor panel?-img_20131129_154821.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Try Ensolite, it has a butyl like backing where you stick on top of the hole or even the whole floor if you prefer.

I used this in conjunction with CLD tiles in my prelude on the doors. Great stuff!

http://www.raamaudio.com/ensolite-iu...on-the-market/
Old 12-03-2013, 01:05 AM
hyh
Cruisin'

Question

Originally Posted by SH6MT
Try Ensolite, it has a butyl like backing where you stick on top of the hole or even the whole floor if you prefer.

I used this in conjunction with CLD tiles in my prelude on the doors. Great stuff!

http://www.raamaudio.com/ensolite-iu...on-the-market/
Thank you very much! I'll take a look at it. To be honest, I doubt the functionality of the original stuff as I barely notice a difference in noise level even on the freeway. It just make me feel better to replace something I've broken with a part as original as possible lol
Notice the hexagonal shape really confused me and since it was pretty thick and brittle I once thought it was carbon graphite. I think the reason it was so brittle because it was 30 degrees in December. I tried to heat this stuff up and looks like it starts getting more flexible.

Anyway since this isn't even a visible part and there is no significant noise increase I'm not even sure if I will be willing to pull the mats out again and fix it, unless I find a really good match to the original stuff (better with the same hexagonal shape? Am I too picky?)

Thanks again! You are really helpful
Old 12-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Advanced

If it bothers you in the future, try out Ensolite and cut a big piece out and cover the whole section. I think the hexagon shape are the things under the deadening that produces those shapes, or is it not?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:27 PM
hyh
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SH6MT
If it bothers you in the future, try out Ensolite and cut a big piece out and cover the whole section. I think the hexagon shape are the things under the deadening that produces those shapes, or is it not?
I later figured out the honeycomb shape is actually intentional because it works best for sound blocking. I think any sound deadening material will have it but many in the micro level, not visible like this one. Underneath is bare metal...
Old 12-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Advanced

I see, makes since.. So that's why folks with homemade studios put egg cartons on walls haha..

Good luck with what you decide on
Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Perhaps a good automotive class at the local community college is in order. If you are unable to locate the jack points on your vehicle, you have no business touching that jack.