Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

RonJon 4th Gen Acura TL Body Kit Thread! **pg. 16 updated pics*

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
Whoah, that's going to be one bad ass TL! Possible COTM candidate?

Are you going to leave the rear silver trim as is or possible color match?
Undecided at this point... I am starting to like the way it breaks up the rear. I think that by leaving it silver, it will help tie in the silver cross bar on the ronjon grille.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Racer

I love the front end. But I didn't see that the new grill is included. Who makes the front grill and where can I buy one?

Old 01-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
RonJon makes the grill. I think its the new design.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

Originally Posted by Smoothie97
I love the front end. But I didn't see that the new grill is included. Who makes the front grill and where can I buy one?
RonJon makes it. The grille is not included in the aero kit. I am just adding it on as I want everything painted at the same time in order to get the best possible color match. The grille has been available for several months now. (here)
Old 01-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Racer

Ah, perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Pretty pricey grill though.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

^^^I don't know... I think $645 is reasonable considering an Acura OEM grille is $558. RJ's grille had to be designed and manufactured from scratch to be a PNP grille. I know it is only $145 cheaper than the pre order of the aero kit in which you are getting all 5 pieces or $335 if you don't pre order, but I think in the grand scheme of things it is much more labor intensive to create the grille than the aero kits.

RJ speak up if I am wrong.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Will these kits be available from CT and will you guys do the install?
Old 01-25-2011, 04:13 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
why does this kit look like the old one? thought were suppose to be creative and invent new styles.. not keep the old one..

3rd gen tl oem lip kit.

4th gen ron jon kit.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
This is the real grille we offer, the one in that pic was edited in as part of the concept:

Regardless of what the kit looks like, we went through quote a few renders and concepts before we settled on the best looking kit, which is this one. And I think it is unique enough to say we didn't copy the 3rd Gen TL.
This is the thread from before with all the designs we came up with:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=splitter
Old 01-25-2011, 08:59 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Where the hell do I order?!?!?!? I want to pre order right meow!!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
Where the hell do I order?!?!?!? I want to pre order right meow!!
Call in or email on how to order, we take cc over the phone or paypal. Wheels, grille and this new kit are all available.
Who knows, you could be nominated for COTM! lol.

Last edited by rondog; 01-25-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:07 PM
COTM Coordinator

Tried calling, got a machine. I am emailing now.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Email replied... sorry, phone is until 6pm est, mon-sat. Email is 24/7.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TLNV
^^^I don't know... I think $645 is reasonable considering an Acura OEM grille is $558. RJ's grille had to be designed and manufactured from scratch to be a PNP grille. I know it is only $145 cheaper than the pre order of the aero kit in which you are getting all 5 pieces or $335 if you don't pre order, but I think in the grand scheme of things it is much more labor intensive to create the grille than the aero kits.

RJ speak up if I am wrong.
Yes, the grille is made up of a 2 piece sonic welded abs plastic shell, pvc plastic mesh (virtually indestructible), the "A" bar or straight bar, totally separate piece, metal fixtures embedded in the plastic, a black plastic plate, screws and it accepts the OEM lips, screws and emblm as well as our RJ logo emblem. Its a very intricate piece, and to make it fit was alot of work. The kit is more material, but easier to install and produce. It is designed as a bolt in and bolt oput piece, no cutting or holes in the car. Same with our new kit.

Originally Posted by NJ SHAWD
Will these kits be available from CT and will you guys do the install?
You mean from Comptech or from the state of CT? We can refer you to a company that can install, it is VERY easy, and I would even say you can do it yourself, but I have to suggest professional installation.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 PM
COTM Coordinator

Pre-Ordered. Thanks Rondy, this is what I have been waiting for.....
Old 01-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by rondog

You mean from Comptech or from the state of CT? We can refer you to a company that can install, it is VERY easy, and I would even say you can do it yourself, but I have to suggest professional installation.
I thought your company had a facility in CT?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:42 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TLNV
Pre ordered and cant wait

When all is said and done, I will be selling my OEM kit and installing the following all at once!

Rondy's aero kit.
Rondy's grille.
Color match headlights.
Install Rondy's 20" Type II Liquid Silvers.
Install rear tails, blacked out with smoke.
Please take some hi quality pics of your set-up once completed. The disclaimers on the kit - coupled with my own opinion of the fit/finish of the grill - are enough to make me pass on the pre-order savings until I can get a better feel for the appearance of the finished product.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

Originally Posted by Six Shifter
Please take some hi quality pics of your set-up once completed.
Will do.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Racer

So has the fit/finish of the current version of the RonJon grill been fixed?
Old 01-26-2011, 03:40 PM
COTM Coordinator

Yes
Old 01-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Please take some hi quality pics of your set-up once completed. The disclaimers on the kit - coupled with my own opinion of the fit/finish of the grill - are enough to make me pass on the pre-order savings until I can get a better feel for the appearance of the finished product.

Originally Posted by Smoothie97
So has the fit/finish of the current version of the RonJon grill been fixed?
I'll say it again, we had run into a problem with the same grille fitting different on three different TL's. We made slight adjustments to the size of the holes, enlarging them by 2mm. Either the customer could do it, or we could do it to all grilles leaving the factory. No biggy. The same grille fits slightly different from car to car because of the variances between vehicles. So technically, we never had a problem. The changes were cosmetic, not structural.

As for the lip kit, we have no disclaimers, except for the design direction or change in style, not fitment or quality. In a worse case scenario, if there are dissatisfied customers, we would replace the first version with the new one if that ever was the case (hasn't been the case yet).

Originally Posted by NJ SHAWD
I thought your company had a facility in CT?
No, we have a facility in CA and in NY.

And here are some more progress pics, all the small revisions are being addressed that i marked on the other pics. Side skirts are being done now.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:42 PM
COTM Coordinator

Looks beautiful. I wonder if this is how God felt when he was making the world. One step at a time and it just being perfect.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Former Sponsor

One thing is for sure, it's dead on with the concept. And we were talking the other day, about that middle diffuser piece being a removeable section that can be replaced or left out. Now that would be nice.

One thing I need to know, for those who have the OEM rear lip, where does the cutting happen? I need to have this RJ kit cover the holes and cutting on the front and rear bumpers. Can someone please draw a diagram or something, even an explanation would be fine. Maybe we will consider making an extension of the rear into the license plate area, so the lip won't sag.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Here's the installation instructions.

Front: http://acura.bernardiparts.com/Image...r_BII42529.pdf
Rear: http://acura.bernardiparts.com/Image...r_BII42533.pdf
Old 01-26-2011, 05:22 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
As for the lip kit, we have no disclaimers, except for the design direction or change in style, not fitment or quality.
These are what I consider to be disclaimers ... and my hesitation is based on what I saw in some of the pictures where the painted grills were shades/hues off - especially the white.

[*]Painted option is considered special order and is non-refundable
[*]Painted option color accuracy cannot be guaranteed without actual vehicle present
You never did provide a pic of the Mayan Bronze grll, despite repeated requests. Maybe you didn't have one ... I don't know. I also don't know if you really know how the paint will take to the material being used ... remember how some of the colors of your first batch of grills came out green (can't remember what color they were supposed to be). I really don't want to have pieces which are noticeably off, or which I might have to have repainted (read "blended" in bodyshop parlance - at additional cost). If this means I have to pass, such is life. Just voicing my concerns ... nothing more.

Last edited by Six Shifter; 01-26-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

One thing I need to know, for those who have the OEM rear lip, where does the cutting happen? I need to have this RJ kit cover the holes and cutting on the front and rear bumpers. Can someone please draw a diagram or something, even an explanation would be fine. Maybe we will consider making an extension of the rear into the license plate area, so the lip won't sag.
Excellent question. I had forgot about the part of the rear bumper that has to be cut out to install the OEM kit. If we remove our OEM trim pieces then will yours actually cover up the hole?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor

These are what I consider to be disclaimers ... and my hesitation is based on what I saw in some of the pictures where the painted grills were shades/hues off - especially the white.

You never did provide a pic of the Mayan Bronze grll, despite repeated requests. Maybe you didn't have one ... I don't know. I also don't know if you really know how the paint will take to the material being used ... remember how some of the colors of your first batch of grills came out green (can't remember what color they were supposed to be). I really don't want to have pieces which are noticeably off, or which I might have to have repainted (read "blended" in bodyshop parlance - at additional cost). If this means I have to pass, such is life. Just voicing my concerns ... nothing more.

I understand, but that is all about paint. Lighter colored vehicles are extremely difficult to color match even with the car on location. Imagine we are painting an east cost car from the west coast without any panels to reference. I hesitate to even sell a Silver or white colored car a paint option unless the customer cuts me off and insists. Our paint option is nothing more than a selling tool to make the products more convenient. As for the parts, they are fully warranted and high quality. Anybody else who even has a lighter colored car can chime in, especially since the factory bumpers and kits rarely match from Acura even. Your choice, but the reason is not supported. In that voice, if you are truly worried about the paint, have a local shop do it. Either way, waiting for the GB sale to be over is not going to change the paint results, just the price.

Last edited by rondog; 01-26-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GunnerX

Thanks a million!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:51 PM
I am a bullet proof tiger

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rondy- the kit looks awesome, let me know when you need me to drop my car off. I should have some pics up tomorrow with the new legends on.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by buckvegas
Rondy- the kit looks awesome, let me know when you need me to drop my car off. I should have some pics up tomorrow with the new legends on.
Great, shoot the car from every different angle, we will use the pics to compare the car with and without the kit. I'll keep you posted with Aubrey on when you will need to come by. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Here are some minor adjustments. We are really keeping it true to the concept, and have a firm idea of how we want the kit to look.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:50 AM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts
All I can say is WOW! I've got everything painted and the clear bra is starting to bubble and come off in certain areas. This looks fantastic Ron! My lease is up in 6 months I may decide to do this kit and keep it!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Not sure, never used it. How does it work on the OEM kit, is there a special groove on the kit or something?
Originally Posted by Treblig
Not sure myself. Let me find out and let you know. It might be a nice touch to add it if you can though.
Ron, it appears that the moulding is part of the OEM kit and comes connected to it. Is it possible to incorporate that moulding on your kit during your manufacturing process? It would be one less installation step and provide a nice clean "factory" look.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Ron, it appears that the moulding is part of the OEM kit and comes connected to it. Is it possible to incorporate that moulding on your kit during your manufacturing process? It would be one less installation step and provide a nice clean "factory" look.
Ron, CORRECTION, the moldings have part numbers so apparently they are replaceable items. My dealer parts guy believes that they may attached to the body kit via tape. If you have further interest or curiosity the part numbers are as follows: rear moulding - 08F03-S5N-410A8 and front moulding - 08F01-SJA-01009
Old 01-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Former Sponsor

We have to see. We are currently using this system which works better and makes the kit perfect, that is in addition to our tight fitment:

http://www.ronjonsportdesign.com/hid...-installation/

Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Kit is looking good! Although on the side skirts are they flaring out a bit. Will it be more likely to get chipped?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Been talking to the editor and my rep for Honda Tuning Magazine, we might get some coverage on the kit, grille, roof spoiler and wheels of Ryan's car, 90% chance provided we supply them with Hi Res shots. I hope it goes through!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:29 PM
COTM Coordinator

Take some good pics then. Thats an awesome opportunity.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Racer

We have to see. We are currently using this system which works better and makes the kit perfect, that is in addition to our tight fitment:

http://www.ronjonsportdesign.com/hid...-installation/

Is the silicone sealant used black or clear?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Racer

^^ nevermind, I clicked on the link and saw that it was indeed black. Next time I will RTFM

Quick Reply: RonJon 4th Gen Acura TL Body Kit Thread! **pg. 16 updated pics*