4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacment Smart Key from locksmith using advanced diagnostics?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 05:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Replacment Smart Key from locksmith using advanced diagnostics?

My auto locksmith told me he could make a third key. He told me were to purchase it online and to bring it in. He cut the key and when he went to program the car to it told me he did not have the LimeGeen "N" type dongle. He assured me it could be done when the dongle arrives. Everything g I have read here states dealer only or HDS. Has anyone heard of Advance Diagnostics key programmmer? Can this be done.

Thank you.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:57 AM
Cruisin'

More info on Advanced Diagnostics Key program

Follow up, hope it helps someone in the future

So both my auto locksmiths have the program that can do this but don't want to touch the Acura. Apparently it does not program an Acura TL car to SmartKey the same way the dealer machine does losing some type of safeguards hat make them feel uncomfortable.

Does anybody know what the going rate is for a third fob from a dealer in the NYC area? My first locksmith had me buy a key from a big fob reseller, cut it and told me he could not do anything else to it.
Would a dealer program this just as a spare for my desk? Or should I just accept I learned a 100 dollar lesson the easy way and stop checking on this. If that is the case I will edit title to say don't even bother looking anywhere but dealer. I have read every fob thread in the form and the closest I see is the Honda diagnostic system.

Thank you
Old 06-13-2017, 11:41 AM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
You can probably buy the key and you will need to have it programmed by the dealer.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark1
Follow up, hope it helps someone in the future

So both my auto locksmiths have the program that can do this but don't want to touch the Acura. Apparently it does not program an Acura TL car to SmartKey the same way the dealer machine does losing some type of safeguards hat make them feel uncomfortable.

Does anybody know what the going rate is for a third fob from a dealer in the NYC area? My first locksmith had me buy a key from a big fob reseller, cut it and told me he could not do anything else to it.
Would a dealer program this just as a spare for my desk? Or should I just accept I learned a 100 dollar lesson the easy way and stop checking on this. If that is the case I will edit title to say don't even bother looking anywhere but dealer. I have read every fob thread in the form and the closest I see is the Honda diagnostic system.

Thank you
umm get a refund from the first locksmith. he told you wrong and is responsible for your refund
Old 06-13-2017, 01:59 PM
Cruisin'

Thank you. I have read all the threads here and it really looks like an indy locksmith can't do this. If nobody responds to the contrary I will change my original post header so others my find this post before they repeat my mistake. I misplaced things and wanted to get two extra SmartKeys to leave at a friends house and work.
So even though the advanced diagnostics lime green N dongle will work with Acura Proximity vehicle, It appears the indy Smith's don't want to touch it.
Again thank you for your suggestion.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:40 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Yeah, with both Acuras and Hondas with the chip key, seems like only the dealers can do it. And they price them accordingly.

But shop around if you have a choice of dealers. When we needed a new key for my son's Accord, I did find some price variation among dealers.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:40 AM
Cruisin'

Some more detail about Advance Diagnostic key program

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Yeah, with both Acuras and Hondas with the chip key, seems like only the dealers can do it. And they price them accordingly.

But shop around if you have a choice of dealers. When we needed a new key for my son's Accord, I did find some price variation among dealers.
I did a lot of research after the first car locksmith had me purchase the key online, and was able to cut it but not program it.

As as soon as he told me he needed the green dongle I went home to see if it was readily available as I was looking to get four addditional keys made (two for a RDX and two for the TL as I replace things a lot ).

Anyway the dongle come up in the search. It was the Advance Diagnostics N dongle in the lime green color me first locksmith needed. Something seemed strange as it was only 100 bucks. Why would a locksmith not spend that if he was one of the few in town that could be a Acura programmer.

Additional online research found the key programming guide. It walked through how to do it for both the Key start Acura TL and the proximity (Smartkey) Acura. Looked straight foward.

The second looksmith i called told me bring the car in he has a fifty fifty chance of being able to do it.

A third locksmith told me it was beyond him and after talking a bit gave me the name of the locksmith he uses and called him the car expert.

I talked to the car expert. At first he thought I was another locksmith as I knew the equipment name, dongle type and color of the dongle. I told him. Nope not a locksmith or thief just did a lot of research.

He he told me he Avoids the Acura as I did some before and he does not like the way it programs. It does something to the cars key program that could lose the ability of the car to start if the battery died. I told him I needed four spares as I lose things and that is ok for me. He reinforced never again for an Acura and did not matter how many keys I needed.

At at this point I would say dealer only. Hope this helps someone before they try an indie.

Have not tried the dealer with a precut key on a Fob yet. They might not even do it as it was purchased elsewhere
Old 08-12-2019, 07:42 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealers price the key coding as the given rate list and they won't compromise at any cost. But yes locksmith can do compromise with their pricing.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
you can buy the key online from acuraoemparts.com for around $120 for the remote and key. Go to your local honda dealer and they can do it. Gary Yeomans Honda in Daytona Beach charged me less than $75 for the programming and cutting of a new key via HDS. Ended up getting a key for the MDX too!