Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rattle noise on Cold Start - 2012 TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rattle noise on Cold Start - 2012 TL SH-AWD

Hi Folks, My 2012 TL SH-AWD with the 3.7L engine and 70K miles recently developed a rattling noise on cold start during the winter. The noise is coming from the driver side and it goes away in a few minutes after the car is warmed up. I just dropped the car off at my dealer and they said it would be $125 for a diagnostic. They have had the car for 2 days and they called me today to say they think is related to the cylinder or cam or that area around the head. The dealer said they are waiting for an authorization from Acura to do a tear down to find the issue. They said the tear down would be around $500. I am still under an extended warranty until September and asked if this would be covered under the warranty. The dealer responded that they don't have a oil change documented for me for the last 25K miles. I said that I change my own oil and I do it religiously at 20%. I said I only had them do the oil change because they said I needed them to when I complained about my oil consumption. They changed my oil and overfilled it so I didn't have an issue when they told me to check in 1000 miles or whenever they asked me to check. They dealer asked me if I have receipts from my oil changes. I said I buy the oil and filter, but I don't have the receipts. The dealer said if it is an oil related issue then it may not be covered if I don't have the receipts. The dealer called back and said he still has not heard from Acura and I proceeded to tell him that I think this may be related to the oil consumption issue and even though I monitored the oil and didn't let it drop, the damage may have been done before I bought the car Certified Pre-Owned with 14K miles. I told him I hope this does not become an issue and that I don't have to call Acura. How do I proceed? Do I let them do the tear down? I think I have to, to find out if it is under warranty. If it is not under warranty, then what? I'm starting to sweat that I might be looking at a $3. $4 or $5K bill for repairs.
The following users liked this post:
1320anberaly (06-27-2022)
Old 04-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it a rattling or a ticking noise? I had a cam shaft issue in my engine (Also 2012 SH-AWD) that I had extended warranty work done, but it wasn't a rattling noise. It's like a slight quiet ticking noise when the engine is idle and persists when you accelerate. However, I seem to recall the ticking was audible only outside of the car, not inside. I was definitely surprised that my vehicle had a cam shaft issue and glad I could get it fixed for "free" under extended warranty.

For a successful warranty claim, you want a detailed log book of work done on your car. Try to do your best and figure out the approx date, odometer reading and work you did along with notes (ie: What oil you used, filters etc.) if you can remember it and submit it to the dealership to use to ask Acura to approve warranty work. I'd definitely consider keeping that log book accurate until the warranty expires. Acura should accept that in lieu of receipts.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrobert890
Hi Folks, My 2012 TL SH-AWD with the 3.7L engine and 70K miles recently developed a rattling noise on cold start during the winter. The noise is coming from the driver side and it goes away in a few minutes after the car is warmed up. I just dropped the car off at my dealer and they said it would be $125 for a diagnostic. They have had the car for 2 days and they called me today to say they think is related to the cylinder or cam or that area around the head. The dealer said they are waiting for an authorization from Acura to do a tear down to find the issue. They said the tear down would be around $500. I am still under an extended warranty until September and asked if this would be covered under the warranty. The dealer responded that they don't have a oil change documented for me for the last 25K miles. I said that I change my own oil and I do it religiously at 20%. I said I only had them do the oil change because they said I needed them to when I complained about my oil consumption. They changed my oil and overfilled it so I didn't have an issue when they told me to check in 1000 miles or whenever they asked me to check. They dealer asked me if I have receipts from my oil changes. I said I buy the oil and filter, but I don't have the receipts. The dealer said if it is an oil related issue then it may not be covered if I don't have the receipts. The dealer called back and said he still has not heard from Acura and I proceeded to tell him that I think this may be related to the oil consumption issue and even though I monitored the oil and didn't let it drop, the damage may have been done before I bought the car Certified Pre-Owned with 14K miles. I told him I hope this does not become an issue and that I don't have to call Acura. How do I proceed? Do I let them do the tear down? I think I have to, to find out if it is under warranty. If it is not under warranty, then what? I'm starting to sweat that I might be looking at a $3. $4 or $5K bill for repairs.
i believe there is a TSB for this; I had the same problem and had the dealer fix it; its a known issue; google/search for it
Old 05-17-2018, 12:50 AM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Define "rattle?"

I thought my 2012 3.5L had a squeaky fan/belt for a long time, and kinda went nuts trying to track it down. It ended up being TSB 14-049:

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...letins-945428/

My independent did the work for $180. I'd expect maybe $250-$300 at a dealer.

Last edited by dv-; 05-17-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:45 AM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Did you ever get it fixed? Would it be this sound that plagues so many of us?
Anybody heard this noise on a 4g TL? I need help! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2wn...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-07-2019, 01:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by dv-
Define "rattle?"

I thought my 2012 3.5L had a squeaky fan/belt for a long time, and kinda went nuts trying to track it down. It ended up being TSB 14-049:

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...letins-945428/

My independent did the work for $180. I'd expect maybe $250-$300 at a dealer.
This TSB has the sound of a "gurgle" or similar sound on cold startup when shifting at low speeds. I had this on the wife's '12 TL SH-AWD. The primary solution is to replace the small external ATF filter and drain/fill the transmission fluid. Pretty easy change/fix. It's funny because it sounded like I could hear water running into the car when it happened, and was also audible from outside the car. Had the work done 2-3 years ago and been fine since.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Reading your experience is pretty disappointing. My oil consumption is close to 1 quart every 1k miles now. I've been waiting for it to reach 1q/1k before I take it in so I'm not wasting my time.

*rant warning*
I'm disappointed in the way Acura is handling this whole thing, 1 quart at 1k miles should not be the threshold. I've owned Honda cars since I started driving at 16 and this will probably be my last. What has happened to Honda? I see that the CRV has gasoline getting into the oil, we have oil consumption issues and the car designs have been lacking lately. I'll admit the new TLX and RDX A-Spec are nice looking cars but without the reliability it's useless. My wife and I actually test drove an RDX A-Spec and I loved the way it looked but we ended up with a Lexus RX because of 1. my oil consumption issues 2. the CRV gasoline issues. I'm just not confident in Honda engines anymore.
*end rant*

Get your shit together Honda.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:40 PM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by andysinnh
This TSB has the sound of a "gurgle" or similar sound on cold startup when shifting at low speeds. I had this on the wife's '12 TL SH-AWD. The primary solution is to replace the small external ATF filter and drain/fill the transmission fluid. Pretty easy change/fix. It's funny because it sounded like I could hear water running into the car when it happened, and was also audible from outside the car. Had the work done 2-3 years ago and been fine since.
Yeah, I know; the subjectivity of sound is kind of my point. I live in a house full of fish tanks, and thought I knew what a gurgle sounded like, but the car sounded like a squeaky fan, swear to god.

*tears out hair just thinking about it*
Old 01-08-2019, 04:17 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
One things for sure is you read across the span of 4 g Posts most all power train issues start around 70k, Just when the warranty ends.