Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Considering a switch of pace-need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering a switch of pace-need opinions

I've been with Acuras for about six years no. I've been in my 2011 acura sh awd 6 mt, for about a year now. Every time i get a new car i look at the wrx sti, and every time my gf convinces me to get another tl. I've also wanted to go back to MT and i did on my current car. Looking at what subaru has done with their body design (going back to sedan) i'm interested again. It would be a huge step down in aesthetics but i'm almost sold on doing what i want with what at the end of the day is MY car.

In any case the point of my post, is to find out if anyone has had to make the same decision (TL OR WRX). Also i'm worried about how much i will loose on the trade in since i've had it for a year, and there has been an update since 2010.

if anyone has had this choice to make, can you help me and tell me how you made it. I'd hate to loose the interior comforts of the tl. but there is alot to gain in power with the wrx.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jpmunoz
I've been with Acuras for about six years no. I've been in my 2011 acura sh awd 6 mt, for about a year now. Every time i get a new car i look at the wrx sti, and every time my gf convinces me to get another tl. I've also wanted to go back to MT and i did on my current car. Looking at what subaru has done with their body design (going back to sedan) i'm interested again. It would be a huge step down in aesthetics but i'm almost sold on doing what i want with what at the end of the day is MY car.

In any case the point of my post, is to find out if anyone has had to make the same decision (TL OR WRX). Also i'm worried about how much i will loose on the trade in since i've had it for a year, and there has been an update since 2010.

if anyone has had this choice to make, can you help me and tell me how you made it. I'd hate to loose the interior comforts of the tl. but there is alot to gain in power with the wrx.
You must be young and out of the normal demographic for the TL. To me the WRX in the sti form is a young man's car, especially and I am sorry with that stupid spoiler. My 18 yr old son loves this car. That said, it is a nice car in the lower models albeit with a less powerful engine (just because I hate that spoiler). Subaru's are much nicer than they used to be, in fact, we seriously considered an Outback, but ended up getting the RDX.

However, I cannot see comparing these 2 cars. I can only imagine the manual in the tL. I have the auto and it is stupid fast. The interior of the TL is nicer than the WRX, for me, but if you are into sport, you may prefer the WRX. You will take a huge bath on the trade in because of the new revised 12 TL, which will lesson it's value.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
IMO you will be very very disappointed after about 6 months and wish you had the TL back. If you want some more excitement buy an older car and tinker with it and use the TL as your daily driver.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
im 22 and bought my 4g when i was 21. very happy with my deicision. most guys my age go with the fastest and sportiest car they car afford. i wanted something fast and sporty as well, but also something that you wouldnt see someone my age normally driving. i have gotten many compliments from people saying that it nice seeing someone my age with some class and that is exactly what i was going for. i also looked at the g37x and 535i but the tl just seemed like it was the best deal for the money. i cant really say much about the wrx since i never looked into it but ive alwas been a fan of bigger sedans. just my opinion
Old 05-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm in the same situation as bigbunks, I wanted sporty, fast, but unusual and with a touch of luxury. The TL was just that.

One of the problems now is that.. well I just blew $37k on a car at such a young age. I feel like a moron, financially, and will either down grade or switch to a better suited vehicle soon.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
We have both at home...My TL SH-AWD 6 speed manual (I'm 42) and my wife's WRX STI (same age)....they have such different personality and very strong points both of them.

The STI is so incredibly fun to drive....both after few miles I'm tired of it..the stiff ride, noise, tightness...and I miss my TL....my wife ask me often to drive my TL......for long trips is no context...

Old 05-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I don't have experience with the Subie so can't comment there other than to say you'd need to drive it on an extended test to see if it's what you want.

But I do have an observation: you're in your late 20s and just laid out a lot of dough for a very nice car that will last a long time if you do basic maintenance. As you note, if you trade/sell it now, you're going to take a big hit financially. You're young, so it won't be catastrophic financially speaking, but doing that a few more times (buying an expensive new car and then selling/trading it a short time later) will have a signficant, downward effect on your net wealth.

If if were me, I'd enjoy your current car, use up it's service life and then make another smart choice in 7-10 years (depending on how many miles/year you drive). Nobody ever got wealthy buying new luxury cars every 1-3 years.

Good luck with the decision.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
You must be young and out of the normal demographic for the TL. To me the WRX in the sti form is a young man's car, especially and I am sorry with that stupid spoiler. My 18 yr old son loves this car. That said, it is a nice car in the lower models albeit with a less powerful engine (just because I hate that spoiler). Subaru's are much nicer than they used to be, in fact, we seriously considered an Outback, but ended up getting the RDX.

However, I cannot see comparing these 2 cars. I can only imagine the manual in the tL. I have the auto and it is stupid fast. The interior of the TL is nicer than the WRX, for me, but if you are into sport, you may prefer the WRX. You will take a huge bath on the trade in because of the new revised 12 TL, which will lesson it's value.
I'm 28 now, and since i purchase my first "expensive" (requiring a loan) car when i was 21 i wanted the subie. My fiance always convinced me out of it for some reason.... insurance, perception, tickets, danger, trouble......... so many reasons. the main one was in my line of business i have to drive clients with me to meetings, and a loud "kid" car was not going to work. so sh convinced me all three times.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by saturno_v
We have both at home...My TL SH-AWD 6 speed manual (I'm 42) and my wife's WRX STI (same age)....they have such different personality and very strong points both of them.

The STI is so incredibly fun to drive....both after few miles I'm tired of it..the stiff ride, noise, tightness...and I miss my TL....my wife ask me often to drive my TL......for long trips is no context...

i can't speak on the level of jealousy i feel. your a lucky man to have a wife who would want that car.

Originally Posted by BigBunks
im 22 and bought my 4g when i was 21. very happy with my deicision. most guys my age go with the fastest and sportiest car they car afford. i wanted something fast and sporty as well, but also something that you wouldnt see someone my age normally driving. i have gotten many compliments from people saying that it nice seeing someone my age with some class and that is exactly what i was going for. i also looked at the g37x and 535i but the tl just seemed like it was the best deal for the money. i cant really say much about the wrx since i never looked into it but ive alwas been a fan of bigger sedans. just my opinion
i get your point, but a car should not be an extension of your personality. I have met some of the biggest waist of life, who drive bentleys. I live in long island, and used to go to the same gym the gotti kids went to. They drive cars regarded as classy, or refined, and they are immature tools.

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I don't have experience with the Subie so can't comment there other than to say you'd need to drive it on an extended test to see if it's what you want.

But I do have an observation: you're in your late 20s and just laid out a lot of dough for a very nice car that will last a long time if you do basic maintenance. As you note, if you trade/sell it now, you're going to take a big hit financially. You're young, so it won't be catastrophic financially speaking, but doing that a few more times (buying an expensive new car and then selling/trading it a short time later) will have a signficant, downward effect on your net wealth.

If if were me, I'd enjoy your current car, use up it's service life and then make another smart choice in 7-10 years (depending on how many miles/year you drive). Nobody ever got wealthy buying new luxury cars every 1-3 years.

Good luck with the decision.

the only ting holding me back is i would not be able to live with myself after loosing 10k. that is approximately what i will loose on the trade. on the other hand, i have been very fortunate in my current career and can account for such a loss and make it back fairly quickly. the only reason i considered this is because i am in the middle of changing careers and will take a huge pay cut. about 120k worth of a pay cut. i've aligned everything for this moment because it has always been a dream of mine to be in the career i am moving into. that being said i will not be able to afford alot of the things i can do now. so i was just toying with this being my last hurrah. but i just don't think i can live with taking a loss like that for a car.

one big thing that keeps selling me is that for some reason every acura i get has rattles. my 2010 tl has rattles up the butt. they fixed two of them, and now two more sprung up. to make it worse the dealer now looks at me like i am insane. going as far as questioning what i do when i drive that i notice these things. i'm just kind of disappointed. besides going from at to mt, a main reason i gave by 2008 type s back was because it had like four fantom rattles that could not be fixed or even found.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 05-15-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Merged posts.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
The TL is is on another level from the WRX...that's one of the biggest differences. I worked with a cat who was a member of a WRX club who would get together on weekends and pretty much take the cars out to Rally's....obstacle courses, mud, and all kinds of stuff like that in the DMV area. I don't see a person doing that in a TL SH-AWD different beast.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
The TL is is on another level from the WRX...that's one of the biggest differences. I worked with a cat who was a member of a WRX club who would get together on weekends and pretty much take the cars out to Rally's....obstacle courses, mud, and all kinds of stuff like that in the DMV area. I don't see a person doing that in a TL SH-AWD different beast.
have you ever got a chance to drive his wrx?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
have you ever got a chance to drive his wrx?
Yes, and I was looking at a WRX myself. Power to weight distribution makes for one wicked vehicle. I also had the pleasure of driving one in the Poconos a several years ago...in the snow, whoa do they track. Now there's and area where I saw more Subaru's then anywhere in my life!

I would love to have a WRX STi in the yard next to my TL...

Last edited by compewterbleu; 05-16-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
i can't speak on the level of jealousy i feel. your a lucky man to have a wife who would want that car.

i get your point, but a car should not be an extension of your personality. I have met some of the biggest waist of life, who drive bentleys. I live in long island, and used to go to the same gym the gotti kids went to. They drive cars regarded as classy, or refined, and they are immature tools.

the only ting holding me back is i would not be able to live with myself after loosing 10k. that is approximately what i will loose on the trade. on the other hand, i have been very fortunate in my current career and can account for such a loss and make it back fairly quickly. the only reason i considered this is because i am in the middle of changing careers and will take a huge pay cut. about 120k worth of a pay cut. i've aligned everything for this moment because it has always been a dream of mine to be in the career i am moving into. that being said i will not be able to afford alot of the things i can do now. so i was just toying with this being my last hurrah. but i just don't think i can live with taking a loss like that for a car.

one big thing that keeps selling me is that for some reason every acura i get has rattles. my 2010 tl has rattles up the butt. they fixed two of them, and now two more sprung up. to make it worse the dealer now looks at me like i am insane. going as far as questioning what i do when i drive that i notice these things. i'm just kind of disappointed. besides going from at to mt, a main reason i gave by 2008 type s back was because it had like four fantom rattles that could not be fixed or even found.
A 120k pay cut? I would advise you not to change careers.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:41 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Damn a 28 year old making 120k a year.....
Old 05-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
I'm sorry about the ratltles on your TL, the dealer should definitely fix them....however I can tell you that with the WRX STI, the rattles comes pretty much standard...
Old 05-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Yes, and I was looking at a WRX myself. Power to weight distribution makes for one wicked vehicle. I also had the pleasure of driving one in the Poconos a several years ago...in the snow, whoa do they track. Now there's and area where I saw more Subaru's then anywhere in my life!

I would love to have a WRX STi in the yard next to my TL...
if i could keep both i would. its like a ridiculous go kart.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
A 120k pay cut? I would advise you not to change careers.
i'm going into the Suffolk Police Department (hopefully ), starting salary is $42,000.00 but it is worth it in the long run. I need to plan for retirement. my current career is sales oriented, and i don't like the insecurity, or the hustle.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Damn a 28 year old making 120k a year.....
it is more than that. I'm loosing that much by leaving the business. It was almost double that in 2003-2005. lol
Old 05-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by saturno_v
I'm sorry about the ratltles on your TL, the dealer should definitely fix them....however I can tell you that with the WRX STI, the rattles comes pretty much standard...
really? i didn't see much to rattle. I mean the car is pretty basic, i have rattles on my roof. They pushed the sunroof braces back, and now the rattles are louder and further back lol. They also make me uncomfortable when i go there. i feel like they roll their eyes and go "oh god this guy again". They are all legitimate noises though, it's not like i make stuff up and they can't find it.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Instructor

i worked with a guy at another subi dealer by my house. He is the internet sales manager (a friend of mine told me i'd have better luck) he seems to think i can do a clean swap for a 2012 sti how i want it, with similar payments to mine no money out of pocket. I'm only in my car for 13 payments, if i can swap it out with no money out of pocket and a similar payment i might do it.

a car is a loosing battle. it will always be a loss, so whether i do it now with a new car or in seven years it will still be a loss i took.

IF, (and that is a huge if) i can trade my car in no money out of pocket, i might do it? can you guys give me feed back on that?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:07 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Two totally different animals. My opinion, go buy a Mustang GT.
Reason I'm saying that is because my nephew and his roomate in NJ both ordered new cars. My nephew ordered a new Mustang GT and is waiting 8-12 weeks for it. His roomate ordered a WRX and has no idea when he's getting the car because of the backlog from Japan.
His roomate now wishes he had ordered a Mustang to.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jspagna1
Two totally different animals. My opinion, go buy a Mustang GT.
Reason I'm saying that is because my nephew and his roomate in NJ both ordered new cars. My nephew ordered a new Mustang GT and is waiting 8-12 weeks for it. His roomate ordered a WRX and has no idea when he's getting the car because of the backlog from Japan.
His roomate now wishes he had ordered a Mustang to.
definitely a strike against the wrx, id have to wait until about november to get it. i'm happy with my car to a certain extent so if it isn't the wrx i will keep it.