Acura's Response to Excessive Oil Consumption - Page 13 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Acura's Response to Excessive Oil Consumption

Old 03-08-2019, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by acurakid_slc View Post
As many of us who own a 4G TL (also RL, MDX, ZDX and some Honda's) there is a known issue with the J37A engine that causes excessive oil consumption. Everyone is frustrated with this issue and ACURA (American Honda Motor Co. (AHM)), is failing to acknowledge there is an issue. Many customers are getting no where because many dealerships aren't aware because no TSB has been issued. Others are able to get to the next step which is an Oil Consumption Test (I suggest everyone demand that their dealership put them on one)! Depending on the results and the dealership pushing ACURA (AHM) you maybe lucky enough to get to the next stage, having the small blocked replaced. I was one of the lucky ones or so I thought until my "new" (2nd) engine continued consuming excessive oil.

Well I had enough of Acura (AHM) denying there is a defect, after my 3rd Oil consumption test and now on my 3rd "new" engine. I have been fighting ACURA (AHM) since May demanding they fix my TL or repurchase/replace my car. October 23, Acura (AHM) finally responded to me with the most inadequate and disappointing response.

I am paraphrasing from Acura's letters (which I've included); "While we do not feel that an unreasonable number of attempts or time out of service have been incurred to correct a substantial defect with your vehicle, we do agree that you have been inconvenienced and we would like to regain your faith in our product. AHM has agreed to provide you with a onetime cash settlement offer of $3,000 and a 5 year/120,000 Vehicle Service Contract (which I've previously purchased from my dealership when I purchased the car) in good faith and in the interest of customer satisfaction".

They then attached a 2nd page "Release Form". Again I'm paraphrasing "Consumer agrees to accept this amount in full settlement and compromise of any and all claims ... this release is not an admission of fault. This Release may be pleased as a full and complete defense to, and may be used as the basis for an injunction against any action, suit or other proceeding which may be instituted prosecuted or attempted in breach of this Release".

I love how they want a full release from any action or suit if I agree to the cash settlement, yet they acknowledge "a substantial defect with your vehicle".

Is there anyone else out there who has been offered a settlement by Acura?

Also, I am very interested in not only pursuing a personal lawsuit against Acura (AHM), but also would like to see how many other people would join a class action lawsuit against Acura. I have reached out to the attorney's who filed and won a similar class action against Honda for excessive oil.

I would love to speak with you as I am facing the same issue. I have been hopeless at finding a resolve. I have a 2016 Acura TLX, which I purchased brand new and I have gotten at least 12 Oil changes and have been told this is normal or due to my driving habits. However I have only 17k miles on the car as of today. I was desperate and found your testimonial online. Please reach out because if you are pursuing a class action lawsuit I would like to participate. Please let me know what options or resolutions you have come up with because I wasn稚 even offered any of the things you were and am now at a deadlock with my car and the dealership.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

So does the settlement come AFTER or before the oil consumption test? I haven't been offered anything. I just got a letter suggesting i go in for an oil consumption test.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Im getting my oil change for the consumption test done right now. I'm getting it done at Erin mills Acura in Mississauga, ON, they seem to be a honest dealership. I just wanted to answer some questions i had but i couldn't find on here. If you are running an aftermarket intake it does NOT affect the oil consumption test at this location. I did swap back to stock intake before the test. I had on the takeda intake for about a year. The service advisor told me it won't affect the test if i had it on. I did call another dealership prior to going there, and i asked them the same question they said i should swap it back to OEM. So just make sure you're dealership is ok with an aftermarket intake but i was told it won't affect the test. I asked them the average consumption rate for our cars and they told me 1L/1000KM which seems excessive they said come in every 1500-2000kms for a check. The main things they change are you're pistons, piston rings, and timing belt, and a bunch of "other stuff" they didnt get into so its basically a rebuild.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

MJW
I note that these letters are dated 2015. So, my understanding here then, is that you have had 3 new engines in the same car - since 2015?!? Is Acura still offering the same settlement as they were in 2015? I don't see why Acura wouldn't just buy the car back and write it off, but I don't work for them (thank goodness). As to a class action suit, I'd say to investigate the options, but from my personal experience, typically, class action suits rarely return big money to those involved (other than the lawyers, of course). I'm in Canada so I can't join in any class action suit against American Honda.

Is it possible to get some media attention to your situation? Sometimes a local paper or TV station has a 'consumer rip-off stories' section that does a story with some details how the consumer has been treated, etc. This kind of attention can have some dramatic results.

Acura/Honda should be ashamed of the way they have stonewalled and denied, etc. these problems (among other ones) for years. I do wish you good luck.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

For those that got the fix. Did they do the water pump in addition to the timing belt?
Old 03-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

I went to dealer in NJ for oil consumption test today. SA said to bring the card back after 1k miles and they'll check how much oil has been consumed and that's it. He said "normal" is 1 quart in 1k miles. Seems dealers still have different interpretations of the oil consumption test. Some are asking to bring car back 3 times every 1k miles.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dinot View Post
For those that got the fix. Did they do the water pump in addition to the timing belt?
I was wondering the same thing. Wondering what else I should ask them to do while they have the engine open. Will be early for a full timing belt change by about 50k km when my engine gets worked on; however if it is only a few hundred bucks to have the full job done then it might be better to have it done now and not in a couple of years.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dinot View Post
When i spoke to them i asked if they also change the water pump they said no only the timing belt im sure you could get a kit and ask them to install a new one when they are rebuilding it.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

After 1000 miles

Here is a pic of my dipstick after 1000 miles. I used Mobil Super Synthetic 5W-20.

I知 guessing this would not be a candidate for the fix by Acura. I値l keep an eye on it over the course of my oil change. I think I値l do oil changes every 3,000 to ensure proper levels and clean oil.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

After 1000 miles

Here is a pic of my dipstick after 1000 miles. I used Mobil Super Synthetic 5W-20.

I知 guessing this would not be a candidate for the fix by Acura. I値l keep an eye on it over the course of my oil change. I think I値l do oil changes every 3,000 to ensure proper levels and clean oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnmark23 For This Useful Post:
altair47 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

Started the oil consumption test today and despite my asking the SA to make sure the tech puts 4.5 quarts of oil instead of 5 quarts, they put in 5 quarts of oil so the dipstick was overfilled. I should have checked it while still at dealership but the car was parked right in line with everybody else waiting to be serviced, so I couldn't take the time to check the oil. I sent the SA pics of the dipstick and he said I can go back to have them drain some of the oil or he can mark the test as 0.5 quarts overfilled initially. Which do you guys think is the better option? Does it make a difference?

Also, he mentioned the tech overfilled it because it's hard to measure the oil coming out of the drum of oil. I thought I read somewhere that they're supposed to use bottled oil for the oil consumption test.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Unknownerror0010011 View Post
When i spoke to them i asked if they also change the water pump they said no only the timing belt im sure you could get a kit and ask them to install a new one when they are rebuilding it.
According to the new TSB 19-006, the Timing Belt isn't one of the new parts required for the fix. The Timing Belt was a part stated for TSB 18-009. Are we sure they going to replace the timing belt if your car is eligible for the fix?
Old 03-14-2019, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

Dealer told me today that 1.5 quarts would be excessive. I don't believe it. Calling Acura
Old 03-14-2019, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Johnmark23 View Post

Not even close. Count your blessings. At 1K miles, Mine is below the low level. At about the crease where the dipstick widens. I have had 2 readings so far (about halfway through my 3rd) and I came in at 1 1/2 lost at 1000.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cwh82 View Post
According to the new TSB 19-006, the Timing Belt isn't one of the new parts required for the fix. The Timing Belt was a part stated for TSB 18-009. Are we sure they going to replace the timing belt if your car is eligible for the fix?
Sigh....I foretell a battle if I am eligible for the fix. I can see the dealer trying to charge me full price (I believe the going rate is above $1200) for the timing belt. When they are literally going to be right there. (I'd be fine with a couple of hours labor + parts)
Old 03-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

I bought my TL in June 2018 with 65k miles on it. Now at 72,000. I was not aware of the oil consumption issue prior to buying it. When I found out I was kicking myself for not doing enough research. I really do enjoy the car and it is in excellent condition. I guess I won稚 let the little bit of oil it does consume bother me too much.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

I bought my 2010 in June of 2018 also. I also wish I had done more research. Love the car though. I am the second owner, and the car was always serviced at the Acura dealer I bought it from so I have all the records. It currently has 49000 miles. I contacted Acura and registered it and they said my VIN makes it eligible for the consumption test. I have not driven it too much and I have no idea if it is consuming oil. The level looks fine. I am going to bring it in anyway. I guess my biggest fear is that it’s fine now but starts to consume in another 20000 miles away or whatever. I’m not the kind of person to try to “rig” the test, but I don’t know what I should do? Any suggestions, because you of the year, I will be screwed after September 19.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dbuck View Post
I bought my 2010 in June of 2018 also. I also wish I had done more research. Love the car though. I am the second owner, and the car was always serviced at the Acura dealer I bought it from so I have all the records. It currently has 49000 miles. I contacted Acura and registered it and they said my VIN makes it eligible for the consumption test. I have not driven it too much and I have no idea if it is consuming oil. The level looks fine. I am going to bring it in anyway. I guess my biggest fear is that it痴 fine now but starts to consume in another 20000 miles away or whatever. I知 not the kind of person to try to 途ig the test, but I don稚 know what I should do? Any suggestions, because you of the year, I will be screwed after September 19.
Our situations sound very similar. I am also the second owner of my 2010 and it was always maintained at the same Acura dealer it was purchased at in 2010.

Mine certainly would not pass the test now, but perhaps in another 20,000 miles it will be burning more in the ballpark of 1 quart per 1000 miles or greater. At that point I値l just sell the car of keep driving it and adding oil.

I wish they would just fix all of the 3.7 TL痴 regardless of how much they are currently consuming. Oh well.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Johnmark23 View Post

Our situations sound very similar. I am also the second owner of my 2010 and it was always maintained at the same Acura dealer it was purchased at in 2010.

Mine certainly would not pass the test now, but perhaps in another 20,000 miles it will be burning more in the ballpark of 1 quart per 1000 miles or greater. At that point I値l just sell the car of keep driving it and adding oil.

I wish they would just fix all of the 3.7 TL痴 regardless of how much they are currently consuming. Oh well.
I agree, they need to just fix any 3.7 that is consuming a significant amount of oil. This is not good for the brands reputation.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:25 PM
SleeperTL

Update-2: Completed the diagnostic test today with my 3rd visit. They decided on the spot to proceed with the repairs (piston rings, timing belt, plugs, oil, no water pump but should be fine as I had the TB/WP maintenance done 15 mos ago at ~160k), they took the car in on the spot and gave me an ILX loaner - have to be impressed with that level of service! They expect it to have it back to me by Friday.

At my 2nd visit (~189k, oil life @ 60%), they topped it up with 1.2L of oil, today's 3rd visit (~190,500, oil life @ 50%) they topped it up with 0.8L for a total of 2.8L in just under 5000kms. Last 3000kms were 80% city, 20% hwy - city driving seems to burn twice as much oil.

I'll provide a, hopefully, finally update after putting 2000kms on the repaired engine.

LC

Originally Posted by lanechanger;16380571[b
]Update-1[/b]: Checked the dipstick last Friday morning and oil level was just above the minimum level line, oil life @ 80% and approx 2,000 kms (50/50 hwy/city) from the change. Dropped by the dealership for the first of three checks and oil top ups - they added 0.8L of oil to bring it up to the max level line. Previous monitoring showed that most of the excess oil consumption occurred during city driving. Hwy driving didn't seem to have as large an impact.

LC
The Following User Says Thank You to lanechanger For This Useful Post:
TLguy2013 (03-18-2019)