RDX owners: would you buy another acura product as a 2nd family vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking RDX owners: would you buy another acura product as a 2nd family vehicle?

First post - decided to test RDX site first as we all know and have encountered the usual RDX issues (RDX is my 1st owned vehicle - not counting handmedowns from folks etc). RDX issues such as window rattles (honda issue based on what ive lurked/learned here), paint deterioration in bumper, misaligned body parts we all have come and accepted. What's good however is engine works a-ok, no misses.

Considering 2nd vehicle in the next 6-12 mos, and based on your RDX experience, would you go:
a) TSX or Honda Accord/CRV (stick with the Honda Fam - engine reliability - like that)
b) VW Golf (for wife - she said cute, i say "you sure engine would start in the mornings??"
c) Subaru Impreza (having AWD is good)
d) C-Class Merc (nice car - but need to pay up LOL - hey, it's wifey's car after all )

It's a 2nd car hence seemingly confusing set of choices. Personally, I value dependability/reliable car. Wife? Like the looks/image (there goes my $). Any good balance?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Out of the box thinking....look for a low mileage RL. 09+ if you like the new look. It drives better than 07-08 models, with wider torque band, firmer suspension, 18 inch wheels, and still the possibility of getting a 100K miles warranty extension (because there is a lot of tech in this car). 05 and 06 are likely too high miles and not in warranty anymore.

It is a very different than TSX, Accord, TL, high quality build, luxo ride, and don't do it for the gas mileage. It is about a little worse than the RDX, which is to say mid high teens in town, mid to high twenties highway. SH-AWD is great. J series V6 is pretty bulletproof.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, I just bought my RDX in September. It is my 2nd Acura, the first being a 2004 TSX. So yes, I'd buy another Acura.

So far, I've not had one issue with my 2011 RDX. I had several with my TSX, but most were covered under warranty. It started to have more issues this year, which was one reason for me trading it in for the RDX. Overall, though, it was a very reliable car and never left me stranded, just without A/C a few times. Reliability is #1 for me, so Honda/Acura is a good choice.

We're getting our first taste of winter here - snow mixing with rain and sleet - so I'm happy I have an AWD vehicle now.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Lexus IS 250?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chas2
Out of the box thinking....look for a low mileage RL. 09+ if you like the new look. It drives better than 07-08 models, with wider torque band, firmer suspension, 18 inch wheels, and still the possibility of getting a 100K miles warranty extension (because there is a lot of tech in this car). 05 and 06 are likely too high miles and not in warranty anymore.

It is a very different than TSX, Accord, TL, high quality build, luxo ride, and don't do it for the gas mileage. It is about a little worse than the RDX, which is to say mid high teens in town, mid to high twenties highway. SH-AWD is great. J series V6 is pretty bulletproof.
thanks, you got me thinkin 'bout this. a further search led to:https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=695897&page=2

the only RL ? i hve is -- when is model change and if its worth waiting for a brand new one? (as well, acura seems to have "abandoned" RL - not much news/PR/ads vs. ZDX - and forget ZDX - the whole family finds it ugly)

will have to consult with wife about the "looks" but thanks for suggestn
Old 11-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Do you have kids or planning to have kids?

If so, safety, reliability, and roominess would be on top of my list.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Well, I just bought my RDX in September. It is my 2nd Acura, the first being a 2004 TSX. So yes, I'd buy another Acura.

So far, I've not had one issue with my 2011 RDX. I had several with my TSX, but most were covered under warranty. It started to have more issues this year, which was one reason for me trading it in for the RDX. Overall, though, it was a very reliable car and never left me stranded, just without A/C a few times. Reliability is #1 for me, so Honda/Acura is a good choice.

We're getting our first taste of winter here - snow mixing with rain and sleet - so I'm happy I have an AWD vehicle now.
k thx. been lukin at the boards more. tsx = m in japan, rdx = m in us. lotsa ppl wld prefr tsx in fact based on whr it's made. agree/disagree? [btw, that put tl out of runnin' coz didnt like looks+m in usa]
Old 11-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Honestly though, since it sounds like you really want to explore other vehicles (this is not RDX-talk), you should start a thread in Car Talk. You'll get opinions from everywhere in that section.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Intermediate

Do you have kids or planning to have kids?

If so, safety, reliability, and roominess would be on top of my list.
yes and yes. golf may be out and a good excuse for wife. LOL and so is IS250 suggestn (but thanks for the suggestn).
Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Intermediate

Honestly though, since it sounds like you really want to explore other vehicles (this is not RDX-talk), you should start a thread in Car Talk. You'll get opinions from everywhere in that section.
oops, didnt realize there's that, sorry, newbie here. will look at that further. thx!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
first - the RL is due for the biggest overhaul ever - that being said, if u were to even go the RL route, get one when the model changes at significant savings. The RL is more or less the most glorified Accord/TL ever. It does most things well but compares unfavorably to any model in its price range.

As for a 2nd car - your list of choices is really odd. If you want AWD, start there and eliminate the Accord and TSX. Then, if space is what you want, the suby is gone. Next, u have the RDX and Benz AWD. Make your choice there. The TSX is ok, but the 4 banger is slow and imo underpowered. I drive a 2010 TSX frequently and cant wait to get the F out of it because its slow and the electric steering is less than desriable. A great and cheaper alternative would be an AWD G25 that is around 34k 218 HP V6. If not, the RDX is of course the bargain in the segment but lacks many luxury features found elsewhere and the styling is what it is, u arent going to get any looks basically anywhere. If you want some fashion along with your sticker price, get the C class AWD or the infiniti.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by amfsumo
k thx. been lukin at the boards more. tsx = m in japan, rdx = m in us. lotsa ppl wld prefr tsx in fact based on whr it's made. agree/disagree? [btw, that put tl out of runnin' coz didnt like looks+m in usa]
So far, the quality of my RDX seems just as good as my TSX. I'm not sure what could go wrong that could be attributed solely to country of manufacture, so I don't have much opinion on that subject. I'd say that the price of a vehicle has more to do with quality....as the MDX and RL are on a different level, IMO. Obviously, I did notice a difference in materials quality on the MDX when I test drove it. However, it is not made in Japan.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:46 PM
big shot.

the RDX has been mechanically sound but fit/finish/quality in my experience w/both the 07 and 08 models has been well below what i would expect at this price point.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Which year and model RDX do you have?

Mike is right - if you need AWD, start there and cross off vehicles with no AWD. You need a list of "needs" and "wants" and think about what you will need for the near future, not just tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Intermediate

tx luvmytsx/mike1981. now hv 09 base rdx.

need awd? nice to have. not sure on the need but so far, mngd to get away w/all seasons on awd during winters (philly weather -only driven 2 winters, so far - commute to work normally/train in heavy snow).

needs:
some space (one child seat plus child/adult passenger at back)
reliable
safety (collission safety fm other vehicles - lotsa hwy drives on wkends, not AWD traction necessarily)

want: -
awd(? - no sure if really needed, hence "wanted" since philly winters aint that bad imho)
happy wife (ok a need AND a "want")
looks good
value for money - eg. a golf/c-class seemed value for money, but a tsx actually felt it wasnt (maybe bec of rebadged euroaccord image)

thx again, hv posted in car forums too.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Instructor

I got a 2010 TSX 4-cyl as a loaner car when I put my RDX in for warranty repairs at the dealership. Surprisingly, it's a really fun car to drive. I was told that the new Honda 4 cylinders like higher revs and are programmed to hold higher revs. This is kind of weird at first, but the car really came alive around 3500-4000RPM. I'd like to give the V6 TSX a test drive though and see how that thing runs.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1
I got a 2010 TSX 4-cyl as a loaner car when I put my RDX in for warranty repairs at the dealership. Surprisingly, it's a really fun car to drive. I was told that the new Honda 4 cylinders like higher revs and are programmed to hold higher revs. This is kind of weird at first, but the car really came alive around 3500-4000RPM. I'd like to give the V6 TSX a test drive though and see how that thing runs.
I've driven both the 4 and 6 as loaners while my 2004 was in the shop. Compared to the 1G, the 2G didn't seem quite as nimble, but they are nice rides. The 6 took off pretty good - it surprised me as I drove it because I didn't know they gave me a 6. I had to stop and check the badge in order to alleviate the confusion (ha). However, it is more nose heavy, which takes away from the nimbleness.

While I liked my TSX, I do think it was underpowered. The small increase in power on the RDX has been nice.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:35 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes... This is my 4th Acura and have had a few Hondas too...
91 Integra
01 MDX
07 RDX
08 MDX
- plus a 1st generation CRV, Accord, Civic. Mechanically, I don't think I could have better luck with any of these. Flawless and I treat them all with love and care so when it is time for something new, I get top dollar on my sales.

I don't have the issues you speak of.. No window rattle, no bumper paint issues, no mis-aligned body parts. Had the seat rattle (fixed with hockey tape) and a new battery put in. That is about it.

YES - I would get another Acura...

But I have also had great luck with my Lexus GS300, then my IS300. Both were just like the hondas... No issues.
A few issues with our RX330 - more than any other car we have had - but still nothing horrible.
Bad luck with the VWs (my first 4 cars were VW... 2 bugs, 2 Sciroccos) but to be fair, they were all used.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
We have a TL and an RL in the family, so yes two Acuras are nice
Old 11-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Absolutely, my wife just picked up her TSX yesterday.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 80 Posts
needs:
some space (one child seat plus child/adult passenger at back)
reliable
safety (collission safety fm other vehicles - lotsa hwy drives on wkends, not AWD traction necessarily)

want: -
awd(? - no sure if really needed, hence "wanted" since philly winters aint that bad imho)
happy wife (ok a need AND a "want")
looks good
value for money - eg. a golf/c-class seemed value for money, but a tsx actually felt it wasnt (maybe bec of rebadged euroaccord image)
This list screams TSX to me. Maybe the 2011 Sport Wagon?

Other possibilites would be the IS250 AWD (don't know why you LOL'd it before) or another RDX!

By the way, you listed a bunch of supposed "common issues" with the RDX in your original post. I have experienced none of them. Maybe I'm just lucky, but you might want to reconsider what "everyone" thinks about their RDX...
Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
This list screams TSX to me. Maybe the 2011 Sport Wagon?

Other possibilites would be the IS250 AWD (don't know why you LOL'd it before) or another RDX!

By the way, you listed a bunch of supposed "common issues" with the RDX in your original post. I have experienced none of them. Maybe I'm just lucky, but you might want to reconsider what "everyone" thinks about their RDX...
thx.

thought IS250 might be a tad small after ppl (mike/luvtx) here pointed my need for 'roominess' hence LOL. tsx sportwagon - will test drive for sure.

you lucky dude - i 100% hv the window rattling issue (at 1", 2", 3" open, on ol city brick roads downtown philly, that's a no brainer LOL). body alignmnt issue - well, that's very minor but still dealer had to replace my fogs (under warranty) and misaligned on the installation of bumpers. and finaly paint peeling - not YET, but expectng it based on what i read here.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Intermediate

correction: on misalignment- not sure if its dealers fault or acuras - bumper's made by acura, fog lights made by acura. either way, bumper wouldnt be misaligned if fog brackets werent flimsy (saw another poster here w/same prob in past re fog brackets)
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Cruisin'

Nope, probably not. This is my second Acura and I doubt I'll go back.

We currently have an Audi A3 as well our RDX and love it. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who are weary of Audi and reliability. Get an extended warranty and enjoy the car, they are a heck of a lot more fun to drive. Get the 2.0T engine, Quattro and the DSG transmission (fantastic technology). If you happen to get bored in a couple of years, chip it (from one of many reputable and local suppliers) and experience a whole new car all over again.

Last edited by 08RDXTechTB; 11-08-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:35 PM
big shot.

the TSX's main problem is that if you do not have a manual, the car is dead under 4k RPMS, which i dunno where you live, but have fun trying to get the car over 4k rpms in day to day traffic or a regular basis, and yes it may come 'alive' but its more like 1/2 alive, theres just no TQ. Im not saying the car sucks, its still fun and tossable, but the engine makes alot of revs and noise without much go, and you really have to work the car to get alot out of it. Just needs some more power and it would be fine. The price of the V6 makes it wholly impractical given the competition let alone the TL.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:50 PM
big shot.

I was told that the new Honda 4 cylinders like higher revs and are programmed to hold higher revs. This is kind of weird at first, but the car really came alive around 3500-4000RPM.
thats the beauty and detriment of V-Tech, honda motors that dont do much till u lay the hammer down. Short on TQ, but sing beautifully at higher revs. But, surprisingly, why i love the RDX so much is because its basically the first honda or acura ive driven that FEELS like it has balls, not just holds itself out on paper. it actually lays down the TQ and has alot of it, obviously because of the turbo but the RDX pulls pretty much hard throughout. Have you driven the new TL? either the SHAWD or base model, u just dont feel or get the power delivery. Same with the Accord V6. enter the RDX, balls to the wall fun. I have a ton of fun with my RDX, throw the VSA off, throw it in Sport mode, kick back.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:58 PM
big shot.

correction: on misalignment- not sure if its dealers fault or acuras - bumper's made by acura, fog lights made by acura. either way, bumper wouldnt be misaligned if fog brackets werent flimsy (saw another poster here w/same prob in past re fog brackets)
the clips that hold the bumper paneling together blow ass.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MMike1981
the clips that hold the bumper paneling together blow ass.
LOL, you said it, but i agree
Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd buy an Acura when they make one without the power plenum.
I would never feel comfortable making payments for an ugly car.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMike1981
thats the beauty and detriment of V-Tech, honda motors that dont do much till u lay the hammer down. Short on TQ, but sing beautifully at higher revs. But, surprisingly, why i love the RDX so much is because its basically the first honda or acura ive driven that FEELS like it has balls, not just holds itself out on paper. it actually lays down the TQ and has alot of it, obviously because of the turbo but the RDX pulls pretty much hard throughout. Have you driven the new TL? either the SHAWD or base model, u just dont feel or get the power delivery. Same with the Accord V6. enter the RDX, balls to the wall fun. I have a ton of fun with my RDX, throw the VSA off, throw it in Sport mode, kick back.
100% agreed. My '00 V6 Accord had ZERO low end until I put a supercharger on it. The new Accord V6 (drove the 2010 model) blows. I felt like I was towing a yacht behind me the whole time until I floored it. Even then I had to wait for the power to build. Passing on the highway? Good luck. Unless you lay on the pedal so it down-shifts (or you get the 6MT).

I drove a brand spanking new 2010 TL (no SH-AWD) as a loaner car...had 9 miles on it, lol. Low end power was non existent as well...but at least I had the paddle shifters and sport mode to make that better. I drove in S on the highway so I could pass people when I wanted it...not when the TL agreed that I should.

I also drove a 2009 4-banger Accord, and honestly, that felt more "peppy" than the V6. Of course this was only if the revs never dropped below 3000RPM. Hopefully Honda figures out that their V6 motors need more low end...and that their "performance" cars aren't really performing if getting off the line feels like you're in quicksand.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
100% agreed. My '00 V6 Accord had ZERO low end until I put a supercharger on it. The new Accord V6 (drove the 2010 model) blows. I felt like I was towing a yacht behind me the whole time until I floored it. Even then I had to wait for the power to build. Passing on the highway? Good luck. Unless you lay on the pedal so it down-shifts (or you get the 6MT).

I drove a brand spanking new 2010 TL (no SH-AWD) as a loaner car...had 9 miles on it, lol. Low end power was non existent as well...but at least I had the paddle shifters and sport mode to make that better. I drove in S on the highway so I could pass people when I wanted it...not when the TL agreed that I should.

I also drove a 2009 4-banger Accord, and honestly, that felt more "peppy" than the V6. Of course this was only if the revs never dropped below 3000RPM. Hopefully Honda figures out that their V6 motors need more low end...and that their "performance" cars aren't really performing if getting off the line feels like you're in quicksand.
I find it interesting that with a weight gain of only 145lbs in 7 years the Accord has only found about 27 more hp out of 1/2 liter more engine. 7.5 seconds from 0-60mph??? That's right in line with a Ford Taurus. My 2003 would hit 60 in 6.5 seconds. WTF!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
I find it interesting that with a weight gain of only 145lbs in 7 years the Accord has only found about 27 more hp out of 1/2 liter more engine. 7.5 seconds from 0-60mph??? That's right in line with a Ford Taurus. My 2003 would hit 60 in 6.5 seconds. WTF!
Fuel economy and emissions..
Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
07RDXTechTB - get the Hondata engine management
Old 11-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
i love acura ... but i would like to get another brand, just to try different things
Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Cruisin'

I'm looking into it, unfortunately, I use my car on a daily basis, that makes it a little hard to ship the ECU to California for a few days.

Originally Posted by BigHatch
07RDXTechTB - get the Hondata engine management
Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 PM
big shot.

price came down - id recommend buying the standalone ecu, that way u have a backup, and can take it out if u think it'd be better when your car goes in for service...