Another with SHAWD + Check Emissions warnings

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 06:39 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another with SHAWD + Check Emissions warnings

Hey All....

Been a member since we bought our (used with like 34K) 07 RDX Tech Pkg back in 2011. Pretty much just browsed and picked up GREAT tips on all sorts of stuff, mostly maintenance & codes.

Well now I need help! The Wife drives the RDX, daily driver, running around town. No long commutes. Has 97K on her (96846) Did all my own maintenance, difficult stuff (Flush brake fluid, Diff fluid, ect) with the help of a friend who works in a shop down in White Plains. I've not replaced the plugs yet but know I'm close to due.

Anyway, Friday the Wife was coming back from CT and got the dreaded SHAWD System + Check Emissions System warning lights... In the message center display I see "All Wheel Drive:77, Emissions System PO135". I took truck out for a drive around neighborhood and noticed in the AWD display, it's only "showing" power to front wheels, Turbo gauge does rev up, needle moves. I don't drive the RDX alot so I don't notice any major/minor difference in performance, but still I have serious warnings in display I'm very worried about.

I immediately logged on here Fri night and read thru hundreds of posts about Waste Gate actuator (ring wearing down), Turbo replacement :-( and about a few sensors (O2) that could possibly be the cause. I'm going to bring it to Westchester Acura even tho I live much closer to the Poughkeepsie dealer but their Dealer Rating reviews (for Service) were horrible... Westchester was 4-1/2 stars, with WAY WAY BETTER REVIEWS. Hoping for an honest assessment and not just "Oh Yeah Blown Turbo, $ 7k..."

So I come here asking all you fine folks, esp the ones who have experienced this same set of warning lights (is Emissions light same as CEL ??) Since my Turbo needle moves am I semi safe to assume the Turbo might indeed be OK??? & with the display indicating no power to back wheels, as in check AWD:77 am I looking at a different set of problems??? Could I luck out & just have some Sensor issues??

Also, Is truck safe to drive for a week or 2 (I have to bring my car to body shop to get it "repaired" from white line road paint spray all over Pass side, that the road crew removed the signs too soon!) Obv I can hold off on my car and get the RDX looked at ASAP, which is the plan for now, but can the wife drive the RDX until we get an appointment at the Acura service Dept, in case its a few days??

Sorry for the disheveled post... YEAH, I'm a bit freaked out with all this. Not a good time to have to spend 5-7K (Turbo). Any help/advise will be very much appreciated!! THANKS ALL!!!!
Old 07-09-2018, 01:12 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a feeling you have a couple issues going on.

P0135 appears to be an O2 sensor code, in which case it's likely one of the O2 sensors will need to be replaced.

Secondly, I feel like there's another code in there and it's shutting down the AWD. Basically when the car sees something abnormal with the steering angle, a speed sensor, or something associated directly with the AWD system, it shuts it down and only supplies power to the front wheels.

I'm not gonna say you're in the clear as far as turbo issues, but I don't believe that's the problem you're having. And until you get a scan to see what all codes are coming up, it's hard to tell what it is.

As far as driving it goes, you're not going to harm anything by driving it. It might get a lil worse gas mileage, but otherwise you should be fine til your appointment.

-Shane
Old 07-09-2018, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Use an OBDII scanner to see exactly what codes are stored.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:16 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the input Shane (& Schen) I spoke to "my guy" who works in an independent shop over in White Plains. He ran the codes that I currently have in the Msg screen & he doesn't see anything that points to Turbo problems. In fact he said it did point to sensors... (possibly O2) so I have my appointment tomorrow, will let the Acura techs pull all the codes & get their report & decide what I will let them do & what my guy can do at his shop. I'll report back when I have info & solutions...

THANKS AGAIN Guys!!!
Old 07-11-2018, 06:06 AM
6th Gear

OK Back from dealer service dep't last night. Turns out It's the O2 Sensor, BUT they say there might be something else behind this... (possibly another/more sensors) They won't know until they do the O2 sensor & reset/re-scan codes. Thank God it's not the turbo right now anyway!! (bad time financially, tho never a good time when looking at 5-7K to repair a vehicle from 07 with 98K on her!!) Scan cost like $145 but they applied that $ to the labor costs of doing sensor which was like $130 or something.

Figured I'd share as it can be filed in the SHAWD + Emissions searches for future owners. Oh I went to Acura of Westchester... Good People over there!! They even cleaned the inside of her car & washed the exterior!
Old 07-11-2018, 11:05 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Run with 81
OK Back from dealer service dep't last night. Turns out It's the O2 Sensor, BUT they say there might be something else behind this... (possibly another/more sensors) They won't know until they do the O2 sensor & reset/re-scan codes. Thank God it's not the turbo right now anyway!! (bad time financially, tho never a good time when looking at 5-7K to repair a vehicle from 07 with 98K on her!!) Scan cost like $145 but they applied that $ to the labor costs of doing sensor which was like $130 or something.

Figured I'd share as it can be filed in the SHAWD + Emissions searches for future owners. Oh I went to Acura of Westchester... Good People over there!! They even cleaned the inside of her car & washed the exterior!
Glad to hear it. I have a feeling they'll find another problem as an O2 sensor has zero effect on AWD components.

Good to know there's a good dealership where you are as well.

-Shane
Old 07-14-2018, 08:39 PM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
help. i bought a CAI and are getting check eng and sh awd. reset ecu waited 20 mins light came off drove for 5mins and after that the light came back on.reinstalled re box and light went off HEEEEEELLLPPPP!
Old 01-14-2022, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

'08 RDX, replaced VVT solenoid, variable valve timing actuator, Rocker Arm oil pressure sensor and boost sensor, it is still showing "ABS 83-1" (cannot find anywhere), P0011, P0236 codes. Is the next step to drive it and reset the readiness codes (according to the manual), Showing no boost pressure at all, will it hurt the motor to drive it? I am @ wits end!!!!