One year in the 2018 TLX A-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
One year in the 2018 TLX A-Spec

I will be one year in my TLX A-Spec Blue/Ebony tomorrow. As of tonight, I'm at 12,196 miles.

The deets:

Fuel economy:

Miles on Fuelly don't match my odo because the car came to me with 230-odd miles on it, as it was a dealer transfer car.
Worst fuel economy 17.7 mpg, during winter, extreme cold (single digits F in Cleveland).
Best fuel economy 25.1 mpg on a road trip.

Likes are pretty much the same as in my other update posts:
1. Steering wheel--love, love, love the chunkiness at 9 and 3. It's just right for me, since I (as should everyone else) drive with my hands on 9 and 3. I can't overemphasize my love of the item my hands touch most in the car.
2. Handling--the OEM tires are really quite good for daily driver duty. They handle rain and snow with no difficulty. They even handle my occasional assertive driving. PSS or PS4 they are not (I have PSS on my CTS-V so I know how they feel) but they are decent. This is, overall, a nice car to drive.
3. I surprisingly like the piped in/syntho engine sound. I don't care that I can't hear the exhaust from outside. Yes, I'm weird that way.
4. Apple CarPlay is an awesome addition to the TLX. I use it every day. I still wish Apple would allow Google Maps. Apple Maps looks far superior to the installed Acura navi maps. I have not once used the onboard Acura navi system. When I need directions, I type the address on my iPhone, get directions, go to car, plug phone in, directions automatically appear on the navi screen in the car, done! I even get a display of the speed limit on many roads when I use CarPlay. Siri Hands-Free is incredible but won't look up stuff other than that related to the trip, while you are driving (ie I can't look up My Hero Academia episode names while driving).
5. Cubby in the trunk is just the right shape and size for holding milk or other cold products while in the hot sun.
6. Alcantara is super-easy to clean. I had to clean spilled cocoa from one of the rear seats during the winter and with the appropriate alcantara cleaner, I can't tell there's a mess there.
7. Thank goodness most of the chrome is blacked out. I love the way that transforms the look of the otherwise plain TLX.

Dislikes:
1. The 9ZF transmission. I have the famous episodic issue in which there's no throttle response in right turns. Obviously a sensor problem. I overcome it by taking my foot off the accelerator and immediately replacing the foot on the accelerator. This seems to act as a reset and I have immediate throttle control again. I have not taken it to the dealer because by reading posts here, there is no resolution. Since my method works fine, I will continue this way to the end of the lease. I don't get how Acura didn't bird-dog this issue before release.
2. Little issues with the radio. a) When I turn on the car, and once the radio has fully booted, I can't change radio stations (XM stations specificically) for about 15-20 seconds, either by using the touch screen (ODMD screen), or the jogwheel on the steering wheel. Very strange and consistent. b) Sometimes the XM individual station logos are on the touch screen preset buttons, sometimes not.
3. NEEDS A MANUAL TRANSMISSION. I'd be one of the 5% who would buy one.
4. Interior quality needs a little work.

My car hasn't been back to the dealer other than oil changes and other than the issues noted above, the car's dead reliable. Generally enjoying it. Would love a Type-R or Type-S treatment but willing to wait.

Still enjoying the car. It definitely has its place in my fleet. If anyone has questions, ask away.

Last edited by neuronbob; 06-17-2018 at 07:26 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by neuronbob:
Curious3GTL (06-17-2018), gr8ness97 (09-27-2018), losiglow (06-20-2018), Speed_Racer (06-18-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 06:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
Good review!

FYI Apple is adding both Google Maps and Waze to iOS 12 which is debuting this September. It took way too long for this to happen, but better late than never!
Old 06-17-2018, 07:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
So you observations on th ZF scare me. I have suffered with the ZF for 33 months on my 15 TLX that was outside the range where they replaced them. I am close to pulling trigger on 19 AWD ASPEC Modern Steel Red leather, but even on a test drive could feel the laggy slow shifts on a car with 9 miles on it. I love the styling and the mildly updated infotainment is tolerable, but if I have to deal with crappy shifting for 3 years I will go crazy. I am looking at a RLX 18 Hybrid as a backup plan, but the damn head unit is the same crap in my 15. I need to decide what is important, flawless tranny or Android Auto.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Nice write-up Bob! I've only had my A-spec for 4 months and 2K miles but I agree with everything you said. Acura got this 90% right. I would add the stereo isn't up to par with my older Acuras, but I think I read a post somewhere that explained the fake exhaust noise is to blame for that and disabling it makes the stereo better. I too kind of like the piped in sound, so I won't be doing that.

I look forward to a Type-S variant but honestly if Acura just got the transmission right I think this car has plenty of power at the crank and future buyers would be happier. My '12 SH-AWD felt more powerful than the TLX, but the TLX is more comfortable. I can't believe the looks and questions I get on the A-Spec.

My mileage has been fantastic, averaging 31mpg, but all my miles are highway so far, speed usually between 70 and 80 mph.

Like you I've got a V8 fire breathing beast in the garage, and if I go back to back between the Charger and the TLX I feel like the TLX is a bore to drive, but after a day or 2 I find it quite enjoyable as a DD
Old 06-17-2018, 11:42 AM
I love spreadsheets.

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Same experience here regarding XM stations during start up. Always comes up with a message "This operation is not allowed" during the first few moments after start up if I attempt to change the station. Weird.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:54 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
As far as I remember you still bought a 15 knowing the transmissions on that year are bad. You bought it because you had a good deal with a 15 vs 16 even knowing that the transmission on the 16s are updated. I had a 16 and now an 18 aspec and do not have transmission issues. I drive it on sport all the time and it is a perfect DD imo.

Originally Posted by KeithL
So you observations on th ZF scare me. I have suffered with the ZF for 33 months on my 15 TLX that was outside the range where they replaced them. I am close to pulling trigger on 19 AWD ASPEC Modern Steel Red leather, but even on a test drive could feel the laggy slow shifts on a car with 9 miles on it. I love the styling and the mildly updated infotainment is tolerable, but if I have to deal with crappy shifting for 3 years I will go crazy. I am looking at a RLX 18 Hybrid as a backup plan, but the damn head unit is the same crap in my 15. I need to decide what is important, flawless tranny or Android Auto.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:00 PM
Suzuka Master

When I leased my 15 the 16s were just coming out and no one knew for sure if the tranny issues were truly solved. Honestly in October 15 when I leased I don’t recall the tranny issues being as bad and it was limited to early 15 builds. Supposedly the later 15 builds were improved. Well if my late build 15 is “better” they still suck. Now if they have improved them over the years that is good, but they still are laggy with some shifts as was evident on my 19 test drive. Just trying to get a feel for how much “better” they have gotten in 3 years.

i need to decide what is more important, marginal ZF that may be tolerable with slick styling and slightly improved head unit or a RLX Hybrid that drives very well, but the head unit is no better than what I had in my TLX.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
Good review!

FYI Apple is adding both Google Maps and Waze to iOS 12 which is debuting this September. It took way too long for this to happen, but better late than never!
GREAT NEWS! Google Maps is as far superior to Apple Maps, as Apple Maps is to the stock Acura navi system. Looking forward to this.

Tough choice. I drive my TLX with the transmission in Sport Mode all the time. I don't have the same issue as on the older 9ZF units and don't find the shifts very sluggish at all. Shifts I do find sluggish are commanded away by using the paddle shifters. The paddle shifters are pretty good on the A-Spec--just plan 500 rpm before your shift if you're accelerating quickly, and you're OK. If not for the sporadic right turn issue, the 9ZF would be close to perfect. OTOH, the RLX Sport Hybrid has no transmission issues. I had weird issues with my particular early build RLX Sport Hybrid, but the later cars have no issues. RLX SH is a real sleeper, VERY fast car. Good luck in your decision making.

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
Nice write-up Bob! I've only had my A-spec for 4 months and 2K miles but I agree with everything you said. Acura got this 90% right. I would add the stereo isn't up to par with my older Acuras, but I think I read a post somewhere that explained the fake exhaust noise is to blame for that and disabling it makes the stereo better. I too kind of like the piped in sound, so I won't be doing that.

I look forward to a Type-S variant but honestly if Acura just got the transmission right I think this car has plenty of power at the crank and future buyers would be happier. My '12 SH-AWD felt more powerful than the TLX, but the TLX is more comfortable. I can't believe the looks and questions I get on the A-Spec.

My mileage has been fantastic, averaging 31mpg, but all my miles are highway so far, speed usually between 70 and 80 mph.

Like you I've got a V8 fire breathing beast in the garage, and if I go back to back between the Charger and the TLX I feel like the TLX is a bore to drive, but after a day or 2 I find it quite enjoyable as a DD
I am thankful for my V wagon, which I call on alternate days my Beastwagon, or Unicorn (at 1 of 514 manual V wagons, and 1 of 42 in its color, and 1 of 2 in my specific factory spec, it IS a unicorn). I get my manual and V8 fixes at the same time. As much as I'm a long-term HondAcura fan, my V wagon is the best all-around car I've ever owned. The TLX A-Spec is not a bore to drive, and again, all it needs for perfection to me is a manual transmission. A MT would really make the J35 sing, and would bring out more of its power, which is more than most people need in a daily driver.

Originally Posted by Denali05
Thanks for sharing. Same experience here regarding XM stations during start up. Always comes up with a message "This operation is not allowed" during the first few moments after start up if I attempt to change the station. Weird.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was hoping there'd be a software update by now, but no such luck. I'll ask when I bring my car in for the next oil change.

--
A couple of other quibbles that are common to all Acura products:

1. I hate, hate, HATE that the radio turns off as soon as the ignition turns off. I think the accessory mode should be on for ten minutes after the engine is off, or unti the driver's door is opened, just like in my CTS-V. I either have to burn gas or quickly turn off the car, the press the power button without pressing the break to get back to whatever radio show was giving me a (usually NPR) "driveway moment". UGH!
2. When backing up, the backup cam shuts off as soon as you exit Reverse. In my CTS-V, I get another few seconds of rearward view before the cam shuts off. This comes in handy if you've backed in at a funny angle, and need to adjust.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Bob,

you can stay in accessory mode with the engine off. Before turning off the engine make sure your parking brake is on and then put the transmission into neutral, stop the engine and accessory mode will stay on until you put the transmission into park.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 08:56 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
GREAT NEWS! Google Maps is as far superior to Apple Maps, as Apple Maps is to the stock Acura navi system. Looking forward to this.

Tough choice. I drive my TLX with the transmission in Sport Mode all the time. I don't have the same issue as on the older 9ZF units and don't find the shifts very sluggish at all. Shifts I do find sluggish are commanded away by using the paddle shifters. The paddle shifters are pretty good on the A-Spec--just plan 500 rpm before your shift if you're accelerating quickly, and you're OK. If not for the sporadic right turn issue, the 9ZF would be close to perfect. OTOH, the RLX Sport Hybrid has no transmission issues. I had weird issues with my particular early build RLX Sport Hybrid, but the later cars have no issues. RLX SH is a real sleeper, VERY fast car. Good luck in your decision making.

I am thankful for my V wagon, which I call on alternate days my Beastwagon, or Unicorn (at 1 of 514 manual V wagons, and 1 of 42 in its color, and 1 of 2 in my specific factory spec, it IS a unicorn). I get my manual and V8 fixes at the same time. As much as I'm a long-term HondAcura fan, my V wagon is the best all-around car I've ever owned. The TLX A-Spec is not a bore to drive, and again, all it needs for perfection to me is a manual transmission. A MT would really make the J35 sing, and would bring out more of its power, which is more than most people need in a daily driver.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was hoping there'd be a software update by now, but no such luck. I'll ask when I bring my car in for the next oil change.

--
A couple of other quibbles that are common to all Acura products:

1. I hate, hate, HATE that the radio turns off as soon as the ignition turns off. I think the accessory mode should be on for ten minutes after the engine is off, or unti the driver's door is opened, just like in my CTS-V. I either have to burn gas or quickly turn off the car, the press the power button without pressing the break to get back to whatever radio show was giving me a (usually NPR) "driveway moment". UGH!
2. When backing up, the backup cam shuts off as soon as you exit Reverse. In my CTS-V, I get another few seconds of rearward view before the cam shuts off. This comes in handy if you've backed in at a funny angle, and need to adjust.
Put the car in neutral, and with your foot on the brake, turn off the car. Put the car in park after. You will retain accessory mode. My wife’s Outback works the same way, but I’m not sure if it’s a commonality among manufacturers.

Last edited by ZipSpeed; 06-17-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks. I’ll give that a shot. That sounds like an accidental feature. Still shouldn’t have to resort to trickery to keep the radio on a few more minutes.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Thanks. I’ll give that a shot. That sounds like an accidental feature. Still shouldn’t have to resort to trickery to keep the radio on a few more minutes.
It should work, there's another thread going on too with another user asking the same thing. It works on my 2015 Advance.

I know what you mean though, so many unnecessary steps to get a simple function to work. Even the radios in some VW turn on without the key in the ignition from what I can remember from a friend's '11 GTI.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I turn the car off in drive, with my foot on the break...then shift to park. One less shift. Of course, I have a 2.4.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
There is always the very nice 8DCT in the 2.4 ASpec
Old 06-20-2018, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Changing to neutral and shutting off the car works. I wish it were as simple as the GM system, which applies to both my CTS-V and my wife's Enclave/Mommymobile. Again....turn off car with no other intervention, accessories turn off when the driver opens the door. Why add unneccessary complication? Only an engineer would have thought this was a good idea. (No offense to engineers, two of my brothers are enginerds. )
Old 06-20-2018, 10:51 AM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Changing to neutral and shutting off the car works. I wish it were as simple as the GM system, which applies to both my CTS-V and my wife's Enclave/Mommymobile. Again....turn off car with no other intervention, accessories turn off when the driver opens the door. Why add unneccessary complication? Only an engineer would have thought this was a good idea. (No offense to engineers, two of my brothers are enginerds. )
Well, you know what they say about engineers and common sense...
Old 06-20-2018, 11:17 AM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
Thats exactly how Acura has setup the new RDX. Infotainment stays on after you shut off the engine until the driver’s door is opened.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
There is always the very nice 8DCT in the 2.4 ASpec
Sorry AWD or bust!