Driver's side plastic under seat broken.Dealer denies warranty ,reason- "user error"

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Driver's side plastic under seat broken.Dealer denies warranty ,reason- "user error"

Hi all,

I own a Acura TLX 2.4, 2.5 years & 24K miles.

Driver's side plastic under seat is broken somehow, please see attached photo(semicircular breakage) .

Dealership says "user error & allege - I have been sitting slightly on the side" & won't cover cost of repair.

I told/asked the service guy the following:
  1. I have been driving for the past 18 years, have owned multiple cars(cheaper than Acura), none have shown this kind of breakage.
  2. I have not danced or jumped on the seat & have done exactly what should be done on a seat i.e. SIT on it.
  3. Hence, Is there a guideline by Acura on how to sit on the seat?
  4. I am not an overweight person, lighter than average and it should not break.
  5. Why don't you(service guy) talk to Acura and tell me what they say? His response - That's not my job!!
  6. Finally frustrated, I told him I will talk to Acura directly.
When I was talking to the parts guy he said, "He has seen many such failures", which to me meant it's a Acura design issue.

The service guy could have have just said "I'm sorry, sir we cannot cover this as we believe this is user error. We will be happy to cover it after you talk to Acura directly". Instead, he came off very aggressive right from the beginning when I had not even talked once to him(felt like he was defensive & his method of defense was aggression) & rude & totally illogical.

Very very disappointed. For me, it's not about the money but it feels like I'm being taken advantage of when I have paid for a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty without any fault of my own.

Gurus,Are there any guidelines on how to talk to Acura? Thanks guys/gals.

Attached Thumbnails Driver's side plastic under seat broken.Dealer denies warranty ,reason- "user error"-img_0927.jpg  

Last edited by niray9; 07-21-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:18 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
How can that be user error when others on the board have had the exact same crack pattern:

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...r-seat-926563/

Looks like a design flaw to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Speed_Racer:
LAMike240 (07-22-2017), niray9 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:34 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Saw this also on another board with the same issue and they were saying it was covered under warranty.

Driver seat plastic breaking apart - Acura TLX Forum

Call Acura Client Services and show them these threads. I'm sure they're aware of this.
The following users liked this post:
niray9 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Instructor

Thanks speed_racer. I see you're from Bay Area too. This was at Fremont Acura. Ridiculous service guy.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:56 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by niray9
Thanks speed_racer. I see you're from Bay Area too. This was at Fremont Acura. Ridiculous service guy.
You're welcome. Good to know about Fremont Acura. Thanks. Looking at all the dealers in the Bay Area for a 2018 now. . .
Old 07-21-2017, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
You're welcome. Good to know about Fremont Acura. Thanks. Looking at all the dealers in the Bay Area for a 2018 now. . .
My Bro in Law bought was looking for a new Acura TL in 2014. The finance guy at Fremont Acura quoted him(1st job out of school) an interest rate of 6%. He went to Wells Fargo and got a 2% rate. Just giving you a heads up.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:40 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
This should definitely be a warranty repair. I have the same crack on my grey interior and the part is on order. I called my service advisor and all he asked for was for me to email him a pic so he could order it. It's a known issue.
niray9 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 11:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Had the same problem on my 2015 tlx, warranty covered it.
niray9 (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
I'd try going to another dealership. When I went to Acura in Santa Monica for my transmission issue (recalled - still under warranty) they didn't fix it although they took my car for days. I said it was still bad and they said it was fine and they did all they can do. I took it about 30 miles North (near Calabasas) and they looked at it and in 5 minutes said they'd have to replace it but not to worry it was covered. They found a few other minor issues they took care of for free even though I didn't even ask. They had a loaner ready for me AND when I got the car back it was detailed! I would buy a car from them in a heart beat. A crap dealership like Acura of Santa Monica can give Acura a bad name! You might just have to take it elsewhere for good service.
The following 2 users liked this post by boe_d:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-23-2017), niray9 (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 09:18 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by boe_d
I'd try going to another dealership. When I went to Acura in Santa Monica for my transmission issue (recalled - still under warranty) they didn't fix it although they took my car for days. I said it was still bad and they said it was fine and they did all they can do. I took it about 30 miles North (near Calabasas) and they looked at it and in 5 minutes said they'd have to replace it but not to worry it was covered.
I actually miss Acura 101. They guys at Thousand Oaks do a great job as well.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by LAMike240
I actually miss Acura 101. They guys at Thousand Oaks do a great job as well.
Chris in TO service is pretty cool. Always there to help.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,416 Likes on 1,868 Posts
Clearly you need to lose some weight.

JK

But yeah, Acura of Fremont sucks. I used to live in Fremont and dealing with them is worse than going to the dentist. If you don't mind the drive, try Acura of Serramonte. Always got good service from them, and no issues with getting a loaner for even small things (like the TSB for the door seals).
niray9 (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
That sucks.

I went to Acura of Fremont a few times for just an oil change, but I went on a Saturday with an appointment and didn't get seen until an hour after I had arrived. Complete BS. The next closest dealership is all the way in Pleasanton (where I bought the car), but that's too far to drive just for service.

I need to find a good independent mechanic or go back to one I used to go to years ago.
niray9 (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Thanks guys,

I'll try Steven's creek Acura.

I'll also give Fremont Acura some love on Yelp soon.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
You can also try another service advisor or the manager at the same dealer if you've had a previously good relationship with them, or provide a link to the thread with seat trim breakages.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Same issue with my 2015 - covered under warranty. It is a design issue.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
You can also try another service advisor or the manager at the same dealer if you've had a previously good relationship with them, or provide a link to the thread with seat trim breakages.
From the 1st sentence the Service advisor spoke to me his words were "It's user error & it's because you're sitting on one side". He then followed it up with extremely aggressive behavior & made sure he ALWAYS gets in the last word/sentence.

I don't think the service advisor would be this brash, uncouth and unreasonable without upper management incentives/orders at Fremont Acura.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
From the 1st sentence the Service advisor spoke to me his words were "It's user error & it's because you're sitting on one side". He then followed it up with extremely aggressive behavior & made sure he ALWAYS gets in the last word/sentence.

I don't think the service advisor would be this brash, uncouth and unreasonable without upper management incentives/orders at Fremont Acura.
Sounds like that someone peed in that guy's corn flakes that morning. That sort of behavior should be reported (even if anonymously) to the service manager so that others don't have to suffer the same treatment you received. You'd be surprised how often the service manager is unaware of behavioral problems, until it's reported. I've had to do so at a dealer in the past.
niray9 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 06:12 PM
SH-AWD TECH

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Fremont Acura...where the sales guy assured me in their entire fleet of PDI'd cars he would be able to get me one without the front plate holes already drilled. Obviously led me on the entire time when they admitted later all their cars have the front plate already drilled, it's CA law. So glad I didn't buy my TLX there.
niray9 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Sounds like that someone peed in that guy's corn flakes that morning. That sort of behavior should be reported (even if anonymously) to the service manager so that others don't have to suffer the same treatment you received. You'd be surprised how often the service manager is unaware of behavioral problems, until it's reported. I've had to do so at a dealer in the past.
Towards the end of the argument I gave up and said "Okay, do you know where my keys are"?
Service Advisor's response: "I don't know, it's in the car".

Based on his past behavior of making sure that he gets in the last word(illogical and non factual), I decided not to respond & make this ugly. I walked into the parking area with my wife & had to wander about a little & finally located the car.

Last edited by niray9; 07-24-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dezymond
That sucks.

I went to Acura of Fremont a few times for just an oil change, but I went on a Saturday with an appointment and didn't get seen until an hour after I had arrived. Complete BS. The next closest dealership is all the way in Pleasanton (where I bought the car), but that's too far to drive just for service.

I need to find a good independent mechanic or go back to one I used to go to years ago.
Yepp, this has happened to me multiple times. Only reason I went back was because, they're close and also I brought along my laptop to work remotely.

However can't go back to this place again.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Yepp, this has happened to me multiple times. Only reason I went back was because, they're close and also I brought along my laptop to work remotely.

However can't go back to this place again.
If you try Stevens Creek Acura, please report back of how that experience goes. It's out of the way for me, but overall I can't say I've been happy about my service at Fremont Acura, the 3 or 4 times I been there. It's just too damn convenient.

I called around for some local mechanics, but so far haven't found one I'm too crazy about in the area. I'm even more shocked that half I had called won't even work on customer cars if the customer brings in their own fluids.
niray9 (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 07:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
When Acura cooperate calls with the Servery give him a 1. That will get his attention, and based on this he rightful deserves it.
niray9 (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 02:48 PM
Instructor

If you try Stevens Creek Acura, please report back of how that experience goes. It's out of the way for me, but overall I can't say I've been happy about my service at Fremont Acura, the 3 or 4 times I been there. It's just too damn convenient.
I have been to Stevens Creek Acura before(when I used to live in that area), and they have replaced by one radar unit for blindspot monitor which malfunctioned + oil changes. There was no issues with all of those,however, I'll have to check how they react to this particular seat issue.

I called around for some local mechanics, but so far haven't found one I'm too crazy about in the area. I'm even more shocked that half I had called won't even work on customer cars if the customer brings in their own fluids.
I had decided that I will only work with Acura dealership during the warranty period. I might have to reevaluate that position going forward.

For non oil change work, you can check out Dorso’s Automotive Repair in Fremont. My experience with them has been great & seemed trustworthy, however it was for my 11 year old car. They're not cheap though.

Last edited by niray9; 07-25-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
When Acura cooperate calls with the Servery give him a 1. That will get his attention, and based on this he rightful deserves it.
I don't think Acura will call with a survey, especially in this case.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:22 PM
Cruisin'

I have the EXACT same issue, break pattern and all, going to schedule a repair and threaten with lawsuit if they deny warranty fix.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:31 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by BeerManMike
I have the EXACT same issue, break pattern and all, going to schedule a repair and threaten with lawsuit if they deny warranty fix.
Not sure if you are exaggerating or not but a lawsuit over this is a little over the top, no? If you go into the dealer "guns a blazing" I can almost guarantee you will fail. I do believe this should be covered under warranty, but there is an approach and a little finesse will serve you better.
LAMike240 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 12:37 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Not sure if you are exaggerating or not but a lawsuit over this is a little over the top, no? If you go into the dealer "guns a blazing" I can almost guarantee you will fail. I do believe this should be covered under warranty, but there is an approach and a little finesse will serve you better.
Of course you always go into a situation cordial. But, if they claim it's not a warranty issue and refuse even after you show them other exact instances online then you simply tell them (since im in cali) that "since we could not come to an agreement I have to inform you I will have to retain legal counsel and proceed to resolve the issue through the courts" and that usually lights a fire under their ass and people fix it, but coming at them with pleasantries usually works.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
What ever happened to "will be our pleasure to fix it, thank you for buying our product"? Based on all the latest comments about problems coming up (especially on BRAND NEW Aspecs), I'm planning to stay as far away from Acura as possible. Germans suddenly don't look that broken anymore, at least they're nice when problems show up. Acura wants a fight now when fixing things, as if by new corporate requirements ...
Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 PM
Instructor

I don't think Acura will call with a survey, especially in this case.
A receptionist at Acura of Fremont called me to enquire "About my missed appointment last week".(although I was there)

As I had suspected, the customer level dealership people will make sure that there will be NO call from Acura with a survey(although I don't think that a survey happens for every warranty work).
Old 07-26-2017, 07:11 PM
Instructor

A receptionist at Acura of Fremont called me to enquire "About my missed appointment last week".(although I was there)

As I had suspected, the customer level dealership people will make sure that there will be NO call from Acura with a survey(although I don't think that a survey happens for every warranty work).
On 2nd thoughts, the above could have happened because, I didn't get the work done.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:12 PM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
What ever happened to "will be our pleasure to fix it, thank you for buying our product"? Based on all the latest comments about problems coming up (especially on BRAND NEW Aspecs), I'm planning to stay as far away from Acura as possible. Germans suddenly don't look that broken anymore, at least they're nice when problems show up. Acura wants a fight now when fixing things, as if by new corporate requirements ...

what are all these problems on new Aspecs you are referring to?
Old 07-26-2017, 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steve_97060
what are all these problems on new Aspecs you are referring to?
Seems a little early for all these small quirks to already show up. Never had a problem with my sensors.
https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-...ms-yet-960717/
Old 07-26-2017, 11:10 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Seems a little early for all these small quirks to already show up. Never had a problem with my sensors.
For work reasons, I have to rent a car every 2 week. I can honestly tell you that three different models gave me the "false collision/proximity alert".
Two were from GMC (Acadia and Yukon) and one was a Cadillac XTS (if I remember correctly)
The GMC I remember clearly as they have a bright LED light that alerts you via HUD and they were recent rentals. I noticed it happened -while at a complete stop at intersections but could never repeat on demand.

With all due respect, I don't think it's early for these to show up. I would be concerned on powertrain , transmission issues showing up this early. The more technology new cars have the more opportunities for these to show up. I think it's good drivers are finding these.

Like I have mentioned before, I am very interested in hearing issues being raised, but I have real expectations. As of now, none of the issues raised would cause me to "call my attorney" and take Acura to court as I saw somewhere. On the same token, I understand why some owners ran out of patience on Acura's customer service. I guess I welcome more posts on this thread but at the same time, I won't go crazy because a sensor is being triggered at a red light..
a35tl (07-27-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 11:26 PM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
this thread is referencing pre-2018 vehicles and a single dooshy service rep, and a few overly sensitive sensors on the new Aspecs. yeah, your original quote wasn't overly dramatic at all..
Old 07-27-2017, 12:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steve_97060
this thread is referencing pre-2018 vehicles and a single dooshy service rep, and a few overly sensitive sensors on the new Aspecs. yeah, your original quote wasn't overly dramatic at all..
With all due respect, I don't have to be dramatic to see that Acura's service is slowly reaching shit level. I do care about customer service, and it my friend has been hit big time with the TLX. If the Aspec is getting reports now, who knows what else can happen down the road. Acura has a lot of catching up to do, doesn't look like it improved at all based on this thread. If you look at the problems section, it's FULL of Acura's "it works as it should" or "user error". Pretty sure Lexus doesn't use those lines that often, well maybe with their infotainment system.

My sonar sensors have never given me a single false positive, it always made sense based the current situation (uphill, dumb driver, metal guard on curve with speed, etc). Honestly don't care about what other freakin car companies are doing, their business with their tech. Can honestly say the tech in my car is good, odd praise from me lol ...and hopefully not was!

Last edited by pyrodan007; 07-27-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
I wasnt bringing up other companies problems with the sensors as an excuse for Acura's shortcomings. I am bringing them up to suggest that maybe that technology hasnt been perfected to respond as it should yet. Maybe in the near future it will be a standard in cars as opposed to a somewhat new feature.
I remember that bluetooth also had it challenges when it was deployed.
This is why personally (just me) I will not be freaking out for technological issues just yet.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sloppy305
I wasnt bringing up other companies problems with the sensors as an excuse for Acura's shortcomings. I am bringing them up to suggest that maybe that technology hasnt been perfected to respond as it should yet. Maybe in the near future it will be a standard in cars as opposed to a somewhat new feature.
I remember that bluetooth also had it challenges when it was deployed.
This is why personally (just me) I will not be freaking out for technological issues just yet.
Fully agree with you on that one. I hope it's just one offs due to greater sensitivity and not a routine thing.
Back to seat getting fixed. Honestly first time I see something like this related to a car. Any luck with dealer fixing it?
Old 08-01-2017, 05:51 PM
Instructor

UPDATE: Got it fixed under warranty without too much fuss from Stevens Creek Acura.

Going forward I'm going to go to Stevens Creek Acura for my routine and other maintenance needs.

I'm also going to light some fire under Fremont Acura's a** on Yelp.

Last edited by niray9; 08-01-2017 at 05:54 PM.
dezymond (08-02-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
UPDATE: Got it fixed under warranty without too much fuss from Stevens Creek Acura.

Going forward I'm going to go to Stevens Creek Acura for my routine and other maintenance needs.

I'm also going to light some fire under Fremont Acura's a** on Yelp.
Congrats -

Quick Reply: Driver's side plastic under seat broken.Dealer denies warranty ,reason- "user error"