Do you expect the NY Unveil to show anything NEW that isn't currently offered?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 11:19 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I'm sure most of the goodies that you would expect would come in the form of a Technology Package. Specifically there is one option that hasn't been mentioned and I want to see on the TLX.

I for one think the "LaneWatch" blind spot camera offered on the new Accord is an awesome option to have. I have always wanted a car with something like that, not just a blind spot warning. A real camera. I haven't actually seen the Accord's system in action in person, so I don't know how beneficial/effective it is or isn't. In theory it seems to be one of those options that once you have it, you can't go back to without it.

Hopefully it's something that Acura will hopefully offer on the TLX as a no-brainer. If they don't, I'll be disappointed.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
I'm sure most of the goodies that you would expect would come in the form of a Technology Package. Specifically there is one option that hasn't been mentioned and I want to see on the TLX.

I for one think the "LaneWatch" blind spot camera offered on the new Accord is an awesome option to have. I have always wanted a car with something like that, not just a blind spot warning. A real camera. I haven't actually seen the Accord's system in action in person, so I don't know how beneficial/effective it is or isn't. In theory it seems to be one of those options that once you have it, you can't go back to without it.

Hopefully it's something that Acura will hopefully offer on the TLX as a no-brainer. If they don't, I'll be disappointed.
I have driven the Accord with the Blind Watch, I am mixed, first is it right side only, and it stops your natural intent to look at your mirrors and over your shoulder. I prefer traditional lights blinking in side mirror because I am looking that way for mirror and over my should. The camera in dash initially seems disorienting since you are looking at a side view that is moving.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm hoping they follow the same Technology / Advance package logic that they do on the MDX.

The Technology package now includes lane departure warning and blind spot monitoring where previously to get blind spot monitoring you had to go for the Advance package on the TL.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I for one think the "LaneWatch" blind spot camera offered on the new Accord is an awesome option to have.
The way it is implemented on the Accord is a little unusual. I think that I prefer the way that it's used on Acuras that have the Advance package.

Originally Posted by cagilber
The Technology package now includes lane departure warning and blind spot monitoring where previously to get blind spot monitoring you had to go for the Advance package on the TL.
Something that puzzles me a little is that the Advance Package's LKAS will steer the car in a way that occasionally causes LDW to go off.

o_0
Old 03-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ Exactly! You nailed it.....

BTW....I sure miss my 2009 TSX. Just came across an old picture I posted in the TSX section....

That's a beautiful TSX. I miss my 2010 TSX V6. I never thought I would like the 4G until I drove it and I bought it. 2012 SH-awd Advance
The following users liked this post:
weather (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Don't get me wrong, I still like my TL quite a bit! I just love the styling of the 2009-2011 TSX (before they did the MMC). Thanks for the nice words about my old baby.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:29 PM
King of NYC

Originally Posted by KeithL
I have driven the Accord with the Blind Watch, I am mixed, first is it right side only, and it stops your natural intent to look at your mirrors and over your shoulder. I prefer traditional lights blinking in side mirror because I am looking that way for mirror and over my should. The camera in dash initially seems disorienting since you are looking at a side view that is moving.
I totally get your point. I was thinking about the same possibility in my mind. When you are on an open stretch of highway and all is well, there is plenty of opportunity to look over your shoulder to switch lanes. It's pretty stupid not to and I can't STAND people who never do!

But what I'm thinking is that LaneWatch would REALLY help in specific circumstances. For example: Over here in the NY area, it's no secret our driving style is aggressive. If you are passive and defensive all day you can actually get in an accident or be in the way. And you can't always leave a huge following distance, gaps are pretty tight. Therefore in many ways you have to be smart and avoidant. If you signal too early before a lane change 99% of people will purposely cut you off on purpose so you can't get in. You have to be decisive and your moves have to be calculated and swift. Meanwhile other drivers are very erratic and you have to pay attention ahead at all times.

If you are in stop and go traffic and you want to scan the right lane as you are going along this camera would be invaluable. The blind spot warning is nice. But a camera will show you exactly what's going on and how far everything really is. I'm sure many of you have been in situations where you want to do a quick lane change but you know it is dangerous to look back because people can brake at any second. And where you've looked back to change and the minute you look forward again you see brake lights which freaks you out because now you are nearly clipping a bumper.

I'm hoping a system like this would eliminate all that.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:20 PM
2004 NBP ACURA TL

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
I totally get your point. I was thinking about the same possibility in my mind. When you are on an open stretch of highway and all is well, there is plenty of opportunity to look over your shoulder to switch lanes. It's pretty stupid not to and I can't STAND people who never do!

But what I'm thinking is that LaneWatch would REALLY help in specific circumstances. For example: Over here in the NY area, it's no secret our driving style is aggressive. If you are passive and defensive all day you can actually get in an accident or be in the way. And you can't always leave a huge following distance, gaps are pretty tight. Therefore in many ways you have to be smart and avoidant. If you signal too early before a lane change 99% of people will purposely cut you off on purpose so you can't get in. You have to be decisive and your moves have to be calculated and swift. Meanwhile other drivers are very erratic and you have to pay attention ahead at all times.

If you are in stop and go traffic and you want to scan the right lane as you are going along this camera would be invaluable. The blind spot warning is nice. But a camera will show you exactly what's going on and how far everything really is. I'm sure many of you have been in situations where you want to do a quick lane change but you know it is dangerous to look back because people can brake at any second. And where you've looked back to change and the minute you look forward again you see brake lights which freaks you out because now you are nearly clipping a bumper.

I agree with everything you just said, I actually have the accord coupe with lanewatch camera and I can't stress enough how many times it has help me avoid many accidents. I actually drive with the camera on 98% of the time, it's very useful at night too especially if you have dark tints. I also get a good kick out of it when people pull up next to me and they are looking at themselves through the screen doing hand motions lol. It's one of those features I'd hope acura includes in the tlx, I wouldn't go back.
The following users liked this post:
rockyfeller (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 07:54 PM
King of NYC

Hmmm thinkin about that Accord coupe. Fully loaded V6, 6MT....I don't really need a 4 door at this point. I thought that HFP package could be better, probably overpriced and not worth it. I'd just buy the bodykit myself and put it on. I'm just not crazy about the rear end styling of the coupe.

I'll be honest. This is what got my interest:

Doing something similar with the new gen coupe will probably look even nicer. I told myself I'm not doing a regular lowered car anymore unless I move down south. It's too much for these crap roads. Unless I do an air suspension like those guys. After spending only $35k on a fully loaded car it would make sense.

So maybe it will be worth stretching for the TLX, let's see. But the Accord coupe also looks like a good bet. Sorry, went a little OT.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 03-13-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL

Originally Posted by jurena
I agree with everything you just said, I actually have the accord coupe with lanewatch camera and I can't stress enough how many times it has help me avoid many accidents. I actually drive with the camera on 98% of the time, it's very useful at night too especially if you have dark tints. I also get a good kick out of it when people pull up next to me and they are looking at themselves through the screen doing hand motions lol. It's one of those features I'd hope acura includes in the tlx, I wouldn't go back.
I've driven the Accord with Lane Watch and I like it. Personally I can see a day when small cameras with permanent dash screens (mounted left and right of the dash) would replace physical mirrors altogether. Less distraction from your forward view to just look left and right of the dash.

However, most drivers do not have their mirrors adjusted properly. I was one of them. Taught by my Dad how to drive and how to improperly adjust my mirrors. Once I found the proper way to do it, and got used to it, I realized that I no longer had a blind spot and by looking in the mirrors only I could see left, rear, and right of the car without needed to turn my head around. I still do most of the time out of habit, but if your mirrors are adjusted properly, you don't have a blind spot.

Unless they found a way to make the camera smaller, it does not look like the TLX has Lane Watch. At least the car in these pictures.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 AM
King of NYC

^I know what you mean by adjusting mirrors like that. I tried it like that a few times. About 2 days later I adjusted them back. lol. I dunno, I couldn't get used to them. Guess I like them the "wrong" way. While it does eliminate the blind spot, it makes it a bit more difficult to see certain areas behind the car at a quick glance.

Starting from about 20yrs ago there were MANY concept cars with cameras instead of mirrors. At the time the biggest thing they were touting about it was aerodynamics. Small cameras and screens were expensive back then so they said it wasn't feasible for production from a cost perspective.

Especially in the last 5yrs with the prevalence of screens in our cars and mini-cameras everywhere on cars, the costs have come down, technology has gotten smaller and better. AroundView and CrossTraffic cams are on many cars. So what's the problem now? For some reason this blind spot type of camera is slow to catch on. Why? It's probably the most useful out of any of these types of cameras. I'm sure most customers would want them. I was expecting to see this on BMWs, Lexus and especially that new S-class. But nope.

That's why I'm glad Honda jumped on it. And not trickled down from Acura as it usually happens. That's why I'm thinking this should be a sure thing for the TLX. The spy pics are probably a base model, I'm thinking the Tech package will have it. I'm sure Honda thought it was good enough to just do the passenger side since the blind spot is bigger on that side. It would be definitely nice on both sides, hopefully Acura would implement it that way, it is a luxury brand after all.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 03-16-2014 at 12:27 AM.