Prototype at Ft. Lauderdale Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Prototype at Ft. Lauderdale Show

For those living in South FL (or those looking for a road trip) the TLX prototype will be at the Fort Lauderdale Car Show March 20-23. More info at www.ftlauderdaleautoshow.com
Old 03-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I will def try to check it out!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Someone get some pics.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Someone get some pics.
So we can all remember the excitement that was felt before the production car comes out.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Someone get some pics.
Ill see if i can make it.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
What good are new pictures? Gonan be the exact same prototype car we WONT be getting in production. Different bumpers, different fogs, diff mirrors, not even the paint is available... prototype is a joke
Old 03-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ See what you have done Acura?!? You are pissing people off....There was SOOOO much excitement following the prototype, and now, people are just disappointed, frustrated or in disbelief.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ See what you have done Acura?!? You are pissing people off....There was SOOOO much excitement following the prototype, and now, people are just disappointed, frustrated or in disbelief.
Yeah, I completely agree. I was going to see the TLX Prototype at the Calgary Auto Show this week. I was even a little bit excited about it! However, as soon as I found out that the "Athletic Red" would not be available in the production car, which will also be looking pretty lame without all of the trims and front/back fascia, I just lost interest altogether. I am not going to the Calgary Auto Show any more and I am also getting closer to inking a deal with another manufacturer.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:23 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
They are putting a lot of miles on that prototype. By the time it gets to Florida its going to be all dents and stone chips everywhere

PS. Lets just hold our breath until the NYC show next month. Who knows, with the situation worsening in the Ukraine, they may end up shipping the Russian version to Canada...

Last edited by Tonyware; 03-15-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
lol. Many of the thoughts in this thread is why I decided not to go check the car out when it came to the Dallas area. Even if I liked it, it wouldn't be the production vehicle. I couldn't sit in it to check out the seating. I couldn't see first-hand how good the interior was since it had no interior. So why go see it? I already saw the exterior in pics and even that won't be the same in the production version. I'm waiting to see the production version at the New York show, and also waiting to see details about what's under the hood and what the various packages will offer. No big deal - only about a month away before real details come out.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ostrich
... I am also getting closer to inking a deal with another manufacturer.
I don't blame you. I am not sure if its the persisting winter that is getting me grumpier (or my old age) but my patience for Acura is growing thinner and thinner and its partly because they just seem to fail in delivering what most people want. Sure we are enthusiast but that being said, the prototype was so well received, why try to make things sooooo Toyota like and deprive people the option of getting that color.

I mean they already created that color for the prototype, why not mix a little bit more of that paint for the production car....even if you charged a little extra for it. Other car companies do it and it hasn't killed them!

Gheezz....I am almost willing to quit my job and go give these guys a lesson or two about listening to people!!
Old 03-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tonyware
Who knows, with the situation worsening in the Ukraine, they may end up shipping the Russian version to Canada...
Don't give Acura any STUPID ideas...God knows they already have enough of those....and we don't want that POS in our country....nor in my driveway!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:03 PM
Drifting

I don't blame you. I am not sure if its the persisting winter that is getting me grumpier (or my old age) but my patience for Acura is growing thinner and thinner and its partly because they just seem to fail in delivering what most people want. Sure we are enthusiast but that being said, the prototype was so well received, why try to make things sooooo Toyota like and deprive people the option of getting that color.

I mean they already created that color for the prototype, why not mix a little bit more of that paint for the production car....even if you charged a little extra for it. Other car companies do it and it hasn't killed them!

Gheezz....I am almost willing to quit my job and go give these guys a lesson or two about listening to people!!
You know, Weather, what is the matter with these Acura people!? They had a MASSIVE FAILURE with the RLX and they still wanted to produce yet another BORING and BLAND thing. Have they not learned the lesson with RLX?! How many missed opportunities do they want!? What really gets me is that, time after time, Acura wanted to produce something that is just "good enough" by their own standard, as if they live in their own bubble without realizing what the competitors are doing. But they don't seem to be aiming to EXCEL the current standard or to raise the bar within the segment. And to see that they COULD HAVE done it with the TLX Prototype design, and yet they pull back so much with the production version, is just too painful to witness.

I was getting so excited when I heard that the 3G guy was in charge of the TLX. However, now I am not so sure. OK, OK, I know that this is probably premature as we still have not really seen the NA production model, but at this point in time, I am not that optimistic.

Trust me, there will not be any folding rear seats... ROTFLOL!

Wow, I really have to stop. All of this negativity and grumpiness is not good me or anyone around me either... It's interesting to note that usually, such "mild-mannered" people like me and you would typically not be ranting on a forum like this, but we are. It just goes to show how upset we are by Acura.

I guess I have owned 3 Acura's now and I am probably considered a loyal fan, but all of these frustrating missed opportunities are just getting old and I am about to say "buh bye"...
Old 03-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Drifting

May be that is too much of a premium brand practice to charge for fancy paint colours for Acura to adopt.... ROTFLOL!

Wait! There is a red colour for the TLX - that ubiquitous Basque Red Pearl that is used by Honda Accord, CRV, Crosstour etc!!! Of course, cost-cutting by sharing parts/paint colour etc is the priority for Honda/Acura and they clearly want to perpetuate that amazing image of Acura sedans being just "tarted up" Accords and Civics!!!

Seriously, I would have paid extra dollars just to get that athletic red paint colours!!! Sigh....

Last edited by ostrich; 03-15-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
I know the production model won't be as exciting as the prototype and I'm not sure I can get away from work long enough to even make the trip but part of my reasoning for going to any auto show would be to check out the competition for a potential replacement when I decide to get another car. Auto shows are a good place to do this without running all over town.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Weather, Ostrich, I feel your frustration and share your concerns. I got introduced to Acura on the 3G TL of which I promptly went out and bought, a 2005 Aspec Model. It was one of the most beautiful body styles on the road (IMO). It was a great value, offered great options and tech for time and was an extremely satisfying car to drive.

I traded that in for the 2006 RL SH-AWD Aspec. Despite it's relative invisibility, I loved it even more than the TL for all the same reasons and then some. I thought I would be an Acura owner for the long haul and actually wanted to be. Then came the 4G TL which I so desperately anticipated and expected to like, but couldn't get past the "beak". I like edgy, which the 4G was, but that grille was just a bit too edgy for me. Apparently, Acura heard and listened and the MMC grille was born. Hence, the 2012 SH-AWD which I now drive, and love for all it has and does.

Like everyone else here, I anxiously anticipated the introduction of the 5G version, and like everyone else here, the prototype had me planning my next car. But as the "production" photos and details start to emerge, it "sounds" like the production car will stray from the prototype in the most significant styling areas. The areas that generated most of the "oohs", "aahs" and "wows". But since I won't be in the market to replace my TL for at least another year, I'm holding out hope that Acura hears and listens again and makes those corrections to the subsequent models (2016 for me). I know my defection in and of itself means little, more like nothing to Acura, but maybe the growing trend here among Acura aficionado means something. Audi has been calling my name lately, but not quite loudly enough for me to make the move. But.....
The following 3 users liked this post by Treblig:
ostrich (03-17-2014), SmokeTL (03-19-2014), weather (03-17-2014)