Facebook Post
Tweet
Subscribe

Get AutoGuide.com in your Inbox

Like AutoGuide.com on Facebook

By Craig Cole May 10, 2017

Which
luxury sedan"><span style=luxury sedan" /> luxury sedan">luxury sedan
would YOU rather park in your driveway, the http://rover.ebay.com/rover/13/0/19/DealFrame/DealFrame.cmp?bm=954&BEFID=96477&acode=930&code=930&aon=&crawler_id=455941&dealId=pYKlzV31qvPkFE0giY_fdg%3D%3D&searchID=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.partsgeek.com%2F65hsghk-audi-a4-quattro-oil-pan.html%3Futm_source%3Dshoppingcom%26utm_medium%3Dpf%26utm_content%3Dwc%26utm_campaign%3DPartsGeek%2BShoppingCom%26fp%3Dpp%26utm_term%3DAudi%2BOil%2BPan&DealName=2001%20Audi%20A4%20Quattro%20Oil%20Pan%20-%20Vaico&MerchantID=455941&HasLink=yes&category=0&AR=-1&NG=1&GR=1&ND=1&PN=1&RR=-1&ST=&MN=msnFeed&FPT=SDCF&NDS=1&NMS=1&NDP=1&MRS=&PD=0&brnId=2455&lnkId=8070676&Issdt=170510051336&IsFtr=0&IsSmart=0&dlprc=92.48&SKU=7465-01097519 A4 or Acura TLX? Let’s find out which of these cars is more popular.

Already history’s best-selling Audi, the A4 makes a strong opening argument in this comparison. It’s all new, having been comprehensively overhauled for 2017, bringing updated styling, a fresh interior and tons of cutting-edge technology to bear against rival 4-doors.

At 1st blush, things seem pretty familiar under-hood, but this car’s 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder
engine has been reengineered to provide 252 silken horses with 273 lb.-ft. of twist; it’s the only powerplant offered. Likewise, a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic is the sole transmission available in the U.S. Providing some welcome choice, Audi’s legendary quattro all-wheel drive is available.

The centerpiece of this
A4’s redesigned cabin is Audi virtual cockpit, an immersive and customizable digital instrument cluster that spans 12.3 inches. Other advanced technologies include (but are by no means limited to) things like adaptive cruise control, automatic emergency braking and rear cross-traffic alert. Base price for this fresh-faced Audi is around $36,000.

Countering the Audi onslaught is Acura’s updated TLX. This luxury sedan has been nicely enhanced for 2018. Its exterior has been updated, a new driver-focused A-Spec model is available and it delivers more standard equipment than ever before.

The 1st thing you’ll notice about this car is its new diamond pentagon grille, a styling element that debuted on the
Acura Precision Concept a year or so ago. It’s handsome enough and fits nicely with the rest of the TLX’s body.

Motivating this vehicle are 2 different engines. The base unit is a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder that delivers a respectable if somewhat pedestrian 206 horses. The optional V6 is the powerplant to get. Displacing 3.5-liters, it’s good for 290 ponies and 267 lb.-ft. of torque.

The bent-6 is paired with a 9-speed automatic gearbox and can be had with Acura’s respected Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive System. The 4-banger only has an 8-ratio transmission, though its deficit is barely worth mentioning since it still has plenty of gears.

Bringing the fight to rivals, the
TLX features a host of advanced features. The brand’s AcuraWatch suite of driver-assistance tech is STANDARD across the board. This includes things like collision mitigation braking, lane-keeping assist, adaptive cruise control and much more. Additionally, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are included in every model from the most basic to the top-trim A-Spec variant. Base price for the 2018 TLX is expected to be around $34,000, including delivery fees.

Please vote in our poll by clicking on your favorite of these 2 models down below. If you can’t decide and want more information on each 1, head over here to compare them directly.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:38 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Whoa, quite an even split, surprised.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I only chose the A4 because I really don't like the transmission option of the TLX. If the V6 came with the DCT, I'd vote for it.

But it's kind of skewed... They're comparing 1 Audi A4 to 2 Acura TLXs. Having two completely different engine and drivetrain choices is likely to appeal to a wider band of people than just the one Audi has.

Personally, I like the lower amount of gears the Audi has, the fact it's paired with a DCT and still makes decent power. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just as fast as the V6 TLX... or right on its heels, anyway. After that, I'd be seeing if there are factory approved tunes to put on the Audi...
Old 05-11-2017, 03:26 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I only chose the A4 because I really don't like the transmission option of the TLX. If the V6 came with the DCT, I'd vote for it.

But it's kind of skewed... They're comparing 1 Audi A4 to 2 Acura TLXs. Having two completely different engine and drivetrain choices is likely to appeal to a wider band of people than just the one Audi has.

Personally, I like the lower amount of gears the Audi has, the fact it's paired with a DCT and still makes decent power. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just as fast as the V6 TLX... or right on its heels, anyway. After that, I'd be seeing if there are factory approved tunes to put on the Audi...
The base (non-ultra) quattro A4 is a half second faster to 60 than the 3.5L TLX

The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 09:53 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
TLX is ahead of A4
Old 05-12-2017, 06:05 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
TLX is ahead of A4
Not in my garage.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
Not in my garage.
It's okay...life is not always about you and I

there are other people out there and 370 people voted in favor of TLX out of 671...
Old 05-12-2017, 07:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I rode in a brand new A4 Quattro Premium last night - too much hard plastic in the interior and the seats felt like vinyl. Accerleration was sluggish and turbo lag is very apparent. Plus, it's a VW in disguise. I was not impressed at all but the lines do look good.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
You can vote on these multiple times.... all you have to do is clear your cache, vote again... and again.. and again. I'm sure some crazy Acura fanboy voted 600 times for the TLX.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
It's okay...life is not always about you and I

there are other people out there and 370 people voted in favor of TLX out of 671...
I haven't seen any serious evaluation of the two cars (a Facebook poll does not qualify) that says it is even a contest.

If popularity made the car, we'd be swooning over Camrys.

The TLX is an OK value, but it is not a great car.
The following 3 users liked this post by svtmike:
honda_nut (05-12-2017), kurtatx (05-12-2017), TacoBello (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 08:33 AM
Azine Jabroni

I would say it's a good value and a good car, but it's not in the league of any of the A4s. Of course, I tried both and the DCT in the A4 is better than the Auto in the TLX V6 and the AWD system is better, too. At least until they go to quattro with ultra technology. Then, maybe there's a comparison, but even then you can set the drive to dynamic and the car behaves like the torsen system.

The only two things I liked better in the TLX than the A4 were the steering and the price
Old 05-12-2017, 08:36 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by miner
Plus, it's a VW in disguise. I was not impressed at all but the lines do look good.
Lol. Okay. Have fun in your Accord.

The A4 is completely different than any VW. The A4 and Passat used to be similar, but since the B8 A4, it has gone in its own direction. In fact, in the new VW group structure, Audi and Porsche are going to share platforms.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Team Owner

I rode in a brand new A4 Quattro Premium last night - too much hard plastic in the interior and the seats felt like vinyl. Accerleration was sluggish and turbo lag is very apparent. Plus, it's a VW in disguise. I was not impressed at all but the lines do look good.
Sure

One of the main complaints about the TLX is it's non premium interior. It's been a few years since I've sat in an Audi, but the first time I did, I *finally* understood what people always meant about the fit and finish of their interiors. Simply superior. It was the same moment I understood why people would pay a premium for an Audi. All I wanted to do was touch every square inch of the interior, over and over

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Lol. Okay. Have fun in your Accord.

The A4 is completely different than any VW. The A4 and Passat used to be similar, but since the B8 A4, it has gone in its own direction. In fact, in the new VW group structure, Audi and Porsche are going to share platforms.

Last edited by TacoBello; 05-12-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Team Owner

I haven't seen any serious evaluation of the two cars (a Facebook poll does not qualify) that says it is even a contest.

If popularity made the car, we'd be swooning over Camrys.

I also wonder about the people voting, and what they are basing their vote on. I know plenty of people that still won't buy a german car (myself included), due to repair costs and reliability issues. I keep hearing that Audi is finally building some pretty reliable cars, but, I'll wait a few more years before jumping over. I wonder how many voters saw "Acura" and instantly thought "OMG THOSE ARE THE MOST RELIABLE CARS EVAAAAAAAAAR" and how many saw "Audi" and said "NUH-UH! I AIN'T TRUST THOSE CARS!"

I also wonder how many saw 252hp of the Audi and 290hp of the Acura, and simply jumped to the higher number, because higher is always faster and better. No need to consider what the dyno curve would look like... Higher is better. End of story.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
No RS4 wagon in the U.S., no care.

Of the two, the A4 looks better.
Of the two, I'd buy the TLX for reliability.
Tough choice in this segment, nowadays....

But still, of the two, I'd take neither and would try to sneak a RS4 Avant to the U.S.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
That is correct. The A4 interior is not what it used to be and the general character of this car is dull, although the car is nicely put. Indeed, turbo lag and Camry-sound are annoying too at that price. I owned an old Audi and I would consider it in manual form to increase the interest. But whoever said that it is "not in the same league" smokes something hard.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:33 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
The base (non-ultra) quattro A4 is a half second faster to 60 than the 3.5L TLX

Yea, the A4 2.0T is faster than the TLX V6 SH-AWD for 0-60mph, thanks to its fast shifting DCT and launch control system.

IMO, a better comparison would be the 1/4 mile trap speed as it takes away the launch factor. In this case,both of these trap at 100mph, which indicates they are pretty much as fast as each other. In daily usage, it means that when you punch it in both cars, they can get around traffic at about the same pace.

Originally Posted by randomRon82
You can vote on these multiple times.... all you have to do is clear your cache, vote again... and again.. and again. I'm sure some crazy Acura fanboy voted 600 times for the TLX.
Likewise, I'd imagine there are probably some Audi fanboys doing the same.....lol

I also wonder about the people voting, and what they are basing their vote on. I know plenty of people that still won't buy a german car (myself included), due to repair costs and reliability issues. I keep hearing that Audi is finally building some pretty reliable cars, but, I'll wait a few more years before jumping over. I wonder how many voters saw "Acura" and instantly thought "OMG THOSE ARE THE MOST RELIABLE CARS EVAAAAAAAAAR" and how many saw "Audi" and said "NUH-UH! I AIN'T TRUST THOSE CARS!"

I also wonder how many saw 252hp of the Audi and 290hp of the Acura, and simply jumped to the higher number, because higher is always faster and better. No need to consider what the dyno curve would look like... Higher is better. End of story.
Yea, likewise, I'm sure there are people who are like, "Audi or Acura? If price isn't a concern, of course I'd pick the Audi, duh!"

Or there are people who are like "German cars > Japanese cars so Audi for me! No contest!"

And then there are people that are like "Turbo > NA, what is this, 1990? The Acura is still using an ancient V6? Turbo all the way!"

And how about, "the A4 makes 273lbft at like 1500rpm, and the TLX makes 267lbft at like 5000rpm. Needless to say, torque win races, so I pick the A4".

So ya, I don't know man, lots of different opinions out there...I'm guessing the poll is just a collection of all these opinions.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:36 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
I just test drive the A4 and Q5 this week and here are my conclusions :
-A4 with sport line , fun to drive , better than my TLX
-With S line A4 (on 19") was noisier than TLX (18")
-Technology wise A4 is better
-Interior very well fit and finish , but it's true there some hard plastics here and there (not a deal braker)
-Yes, is a bit sluggish off the line (even on dynamic) but after is very linear and is pulling hard , I feel that is faster than my TLX . On TLX due to ZF I feel like an "elastic" , you push the throttle , you hear the engine revving and it doesn't go for 1-1,5s and then then ooops is going. I wouldn't mention the 2-3 bump if is really fixed on TLX (I need to check it myself , the 2016 that I've test 6 months ago , still had it ) . I wouldn't mind a bit of sluggish off line and after have a lot of linearity.
-Liked the 360 view on A4 , but the 18 TLX will have that also , I believe

Q5 :
- same as A4 , but sure is less fun to drive , but still quite nice.

To be honest , I'm between categories ..I'm getting older and I like the convenience and driving position of a SUV/CUV , but the feeling of sport sedan.
I'm holding my final decision after I see and test the 18 TLX. Aspec.
My short list is on this order :
A4
Q5
18 TLX A-spec
Macan2,0t (a bit of stretch..)

... if other models wil come along towards fall (the new RDX?? , new X3...)
Old 05-12-2017, 01:46 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts

Agreed 100%. I still have trouble considering a german car even though these are the cars I aspire to buy. I'm not really sure Acura has the same reliability as it once did though. If you say something over and over, it gets embedded in to your brain.

The only reason I have a TLX today is the value proposition and I'm kinda cheap lol. They're basically giving these away for the price of the equivalent Accord and it was hard to say no. At the end of the day, I still wish I had bought a CPO GS350 instead. There are times where I regret the purchase but remember what I paid for it and justify its faults. The TLX is 80% there, but it seems to have cheaped out on certain key areas. The stock good-years, the transmission in the V6, and the low rent interior for example. Both my 2G and 3G TL had more soft touch materials, a trunk pass through in the back seat instead of a flimsy piece of black plastic, a two tiered center console storage, and more. Its a decent commuter car though, as I have already racked up 18k miles in 10 months.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by honda_nut
Agreed 100%. I still have trouble considering a german car even though these are the cars I aspire to buy. I'm not really sure Acura has the same reliability as it once did though. If you say something over and over, it gets embedded in to your brain.

The only reason I have a TLX today is the value proposition and I'm kinda cheap lol. They're basically giving these away for the price of the equivalent Accord and it was hard to say no. At the end of the day, I still wish I had bought a CPO GS350 instead. There are times where I regret the purchase but remember what I paid for it and justify its faults. The TLX is 80% there, but it seems to have cheaped out on certain key areas. The stock good-years, the transmission in the V6, and the low rent interior for example. Both my 2G and 3G TL had more soft touch materials, a trunk pass through in the back seat instead of a flimsy piece of black plastic, a two tiered center console storage, and more. Its a decent commuter car though, as I have already racked up 18k miles in 10 months.
This. 100%. Car stigmas die hard. Acura is no longer the epitome of reliability like it once was, yet you still find people post on here "I bought an acura, because they're known to be so reliable." Yup, they actually suck these days, as compared to the past. Personally, I'd put Audi and Acura on par in terms of long term reliability, with the difference being that it's cheaper to fix the Acura. The thing is- if you can afford to buy an Audi, you're likely not keeping it long term anyway. 4-5 years, and on to the next one.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Saintor
That is correct. The A4 interior is not what it used to be and the general character of this car is dull, although the car is nicely put. Indeed, turbo lag and Camry-sound are annoying too at that price. I owned an old Audi and I would consider it in manual form to increase the interest. But whoever said that it is "not in the same league" smokes something hard.
Just to remind you, you owned a 25-30 year old Audi, so your Audi knowledge is, well, nil. It was an Audi 5000CD wasn't it? Yeah, The A4 didn't even exist when they sold those

You obviously still choose to ignore anything about turbo engines in this day and age. I hope your wonderful sounding V6, that only sounds wonderful above 5000rpm (please be honest, how often do you drive in that RPM? Rarely? Yeah, thanks) is meh. You really have nothing on the superior turbo engines these days. Keep trying, though! You'll get there one day! And I'm sure the Audi 2.0T will happily wait for you to catch up at the end of the day with your granny shifting slush box transmission

I'm just excited more and more manufacturers are getting on the turbo bandwagon. Because superior.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Turbos have some advantages....except perhaps for engine life. I drove the A4 quite recently and although I like the car, I did not come away from the experience thinking that I would want to pay the considerable premium over my 2.4 Tech. To suggest the cars are in different leagues is the usual hyperbole of some forum members who seem unable to maintain some degree of perspective when comparing cars.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:26 PM
Azine Jabroni

Just to remind you, you owned a 25-30 year old Audi, so your Audi knowledge is, well, nil. It was an Audi 5000CD wasn't it? Yeah, The A4 didn't even exist when they sold those

You obviously still choose to ignore anything about turbo engines in this day and age. I hope your wonderful sounding V6, that only sounds wonderful above 5000rpm (please be honest, how often do you drive in that RPM? Rarely? Yeah, thanks) is meh. You really have nothing on the superior turbo engines these days. Keep trying, though! You'll get there one day! And I'm sure the Audi 2.0T will happily wait for you to catch up at the end of the day with your granny shifting slush box transmission

I'm just excited more and more manufacturers are getting on the turbo bandwagon. Because superior.
TBell, you're one of my favorite posters here...WHY DO YOU FEED HIM? lol

I get the Audi discussion and I understand why people have certain formed opinions about the Audi reliability and such. Audi now is just a much different beast than it was 10 years ago. I was fielding questions about my Audi and I still struggle to recommend it based on the trouble I had with my previous one (2008 MY). That being said, people need to look at modern data and forget a lot of the old stuff. Audi is now the most reliable of the big 3
The following 2 users liked this post by kurtatx:
BEAR-AvHistory (05-13-2017), honda_nut (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 03:08 PM
Azine Jabroni

I've never told a TLX owner they made the wrong choice. The TLX is a good car with great value and I believe personally the reliability is underrated for the current batch of Acuras.

We want Acura to be great, but to say the TLX is on the level of the A4 right now is to lie AND to let Honda off the hook.

Last edited by CheeseyPoofs McNut; 05-12-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Banned

Nope. Now go back to your overstressed 2.0T Hyundai that they ultimately chose to detune by 30HP because too harsh and I'll stick to my buttersmooth Honda V6 ZF9, thank you.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Azine Jabroni

I'll stick to my buttersmooth Honda V6 ZF9, thank you.
Honestly, one of the best parts of the TLX is the transmission...

...on the four cylinder. I loved that DCT on the test drive. For all the problems they have had on the ZF, the DCT has been awesome and is definitely better than A4 DCT. Of course, it's Honda, they do transmissions really well, which makes me wonder why they outsourced the gear box for their top luxury model.

A 6 cylinder TLX with a DCT and the SH-AWD option is really close to an A4, honestly. Switch the V6 to a torque-heavy 2.0T and you're talking for sure. Then give the RLX a 3.0T

Last edited by kurtatx; 05-12-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Friendly reminder to all - model specific subforums are for civil discussion, even spirited discussion, but personal attacks are not permitted.
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Banned

In the meantime, the poll clearly favors the TLX in desirability. So much for the A4 being in a different league.

Last edited by Saintor; 05-12-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
comparing an A4 with the shitty TLX? Gimme a f break...!!!!
Old 05-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Banned

Honestly, one of the best parts of the TLX is the transmission...

...on the four cylinder
And how many ZF9 2016- did you try in Sport+ mode?

Last edited by Saintor; 05-12-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Friendly reminder to all - model specific subforums are for civil discussion, even spirited discussion, but personal attacks are not permitted.
well I know how much I just love to open any new or in discussion thread and find the same group of Acura bashers saying the same negative things in every thread. you just have to admire their consistency, repetitiveness, and determination.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:17 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by steve_97060
well I know how much I just love to open any new or in discussion thread and find the same group of Acura bashers saying the same negative things in every thread. you just have to admire their consistency, repetitiveness, and determination.
The saddest part is almost all of those "Acura bashers" either own or have owned Acuras. We want to like Acuras, but they have a long way to go. I like Acura for what it is, but it could be so much better.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Yea, the A4 2.0T is faster than the TLX V6 SH-AWD for 0-60mph, thanks to its fast shifting DCT and launch control system.

IMO, a better comparison would be the 1/4 mile trap speed as it takes away the launch factor. In this case,both of these trap at 100mph, which indicates they are pretty much as fast as each other. In daily usage, it means that when you punch it in both cars, they can get around traffic at about the same pace.
Agreed. Although, the caption shown would seem to indicate the V6 FWD model as there's no mention of SH-AWD (unlike the Quattro reference). If so, then the TLX is actually faster as C/D reported a trap of 103 mph for the 3.5 FWD.

2015 Acura TLX 3.5 V-6 FWD Test ? Review ? Car and Driver.

Seems like the TLX V6 FWD is good for a catch 'n pass on the A4 on those runs made down in "Mexico".
Old 05-13-2017, 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
In the meantime, the poll clearly favors the TLX in desirability. So much for the A4 being in a different league.
The poll is a just poll & like the election polls they can get things wrong. When the real vote on the cars was taken by people spending money the A4 wins.

2017 sale including Canada.
TLX - 13,510
A4- 15,787

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-13-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
I had a very difference experience when I test drove one, but mine was a Prestige Quattro with the 7-spd DCT with all trim levels and sport options ($50,900 MSRP). Thought the interior was really really nice, high quality, well designed, and the tech was light years ahead of anything Acura has to date, particularly the virtual dashboard. Seats were very snug and I felt comfortable and supported with a nice snug cockpit like feel to overall seating experience.

The drivetrain was also really nice. The 7-spd DCT was the smoothest I've driven yet (compared to the 8-spd TLX, ILX and 7-spd RLX-SH), and while I didn't get to really open it up, it seemed very responsive with great acceleration and a powerful but smooth and linear power curve.

The A3/A4 are top of my list when my ILX lease is up in 2019. Unless Acura really brings it with the TLX/RLX FMCs...
Old 05-13-2017, 05:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

The saddest part is almost all of those "Acura bashers" either own or have owned Acuras. We want to like Acuras, but they have a long way to go. I like Acura for what it is, but it could be so much better.
^ this. See my signature. 30-years of Honda/Acura in my family.

We're not bashing Acura. We're hoping they get the message that they need to keep correcting their course...AND be consistent with it.
The following 5 users liked this post by holografique:
BEAR-AvHistory (05-14-2017), F23A4 (05-14-2017), kurtatx (05-14-2017), pyrodan007 (05-14-2017), svtmike (05-13-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 06:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
This. I'm still an owner and can complain with the best of them when needed. We want Acura to do better, go back to its roots, give us mouth-watering design, and see issues with the almost universally (not just in Acuras) reviled ZF 9-speed transmission.

Your local moderator gives solid advice, though. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Further will lead to vacations from the site.
The following 7 users liked this post by neuronbob:
BEAR-AvHistory (05-15-2017), CheeseyPoofs McNut (05-14-2017), F23A4 (05-14-2017), holografique (05-15-2017), honda_nut (05-15-2017), kurtatx (05-14-2017), pyrodan007 (05-14-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-14-2017, 11:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
I had a very difference experience when I test drove one, but mine was a Prestige Quattro with the 7-spd DCT with all trim levels and sport options ($50,900 MSRP). Thought the interior was really really nice, high quality, well designed, and the tech was light years ahead of anything Acura has to date, particularly the virtual dashboard. Seats were very snug and I felt comfortable and supported with a nice snug cockpit like feel to overall seating experience.

The drivetrain was also really nice. The 7-spd DCT was the smoothest I've driven yet (compared to the 8-spd TLX, ILX and 7-spd RLX-SH), and while I didn't get to really open it up, it seemed very responsive with great acceleration and a powerful but smooth and linear power curve.

The A3/A4 are top of my list when my ILX lease is up in 2019. Unless Acura really brings it with the TLX/RLX FMCs...
Keeping in mind that one's opinions and reaction to a car are very personal......The model with the virtual dash is very nice but costs considerably more, so a direct comparison seems questionable to me. Having driven the trim below that, I found the interior to be nice but not significantly better than my TLX. The technology was far from being "light years" ahead - perhaps you are focused too much on the virtual dash, which although somewhat costly, will likely end up for 90% of the drivers that pay for it being configured and left on a traditional type layout. Without the most expensive trim and options, the passive safety features are less comprehensive than the TLX (there may be some improvements in implementation, but again, marginal in my view). I agree the 7 speed DCT is smooth, but then so is my 8 speed DCT on my TLX, especially when warmed up a little. My Audi was warmed up by the salesman before I took it for a test drive, so hard to comment from a cold start.

I did like the A4, but not enough to pay the extra premium relative to my 2.4 Tech. I also, and I know this is heresy to some of you, prefer the lines and overall look of my TLX. I don't dislike the Audi look, but I don't love it either.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
Saintor (05-15-2017), steve_97060 (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 05:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
. I don't dislike the Audi look, but I don't love it either.
There was somebody in Car Talk who bought a S3 last year, got bored with it (at that price) and sold it. I can understand why. When you decide to spend quite a premium for that little difference, you better love it.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
The technology was far from being "light years" ahead - perhaps you are focused too much on the virtual dash.
It wasn't just the virtual dash itself, but how it was implemented, UI navigation of all the controls, the ability to overlay actual navigation into the dash, the UI elements, how smooth everything responded...the list goes on. I'm a "techie" by heart. And these types of elements are very important for me since it is the 2nd most important aspect of how I interact with my vehicle outside of the driving mechanics. So yes, I chose to focus on it, because for me, it's what's important.

In comparison, the Navigation system in current Acuras (including my 2016 ILX) has severely out-dated graphics, poor UI navigation design (as KeithL mentioned, the dual-screen setup isn't well thought out and intuitive), and up until the recent 2016 models, the entire Infotainment system responsiveness and performance was horrendous. In my previoius 2014 RLX Advanced, more often than not, pushing a physical or virtual button would result in 2-3 second delay before the system would even respond to my action. Not only is that unacceptable in a $60k+ flagship vehicle like my RLX was supposed to be, it was slower performing than the Infotainment system in my 2006 3G TL! So yea, I stand firm on my comment about Audi's navigation/infotainment system being "light-years" ahead of Acura's current in-car technology.

The fact that Ikeda had to call out "30% faster performance" for the 2018 TLX during the release at the NY auto show is proof that they know the current systems are not up to par. What car manufacture calls out such an improvement? We're not talking about laptops here, we're talking about products (cars) that cost tens of thousands of dollars, and well designed, well performing in-car technology is EXPECTED in today's market.