ASPEC Brakes :-/ - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

ASPEC Brakes :-/

Old 03-06-2018, 09:11 AM
  #1  
Styl1n
Thread Starter
 
kuzdu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC-Hollis, Queens
Age: 36
Posts: 845
Thanked 50 Times in 34 Posts
ASPEC Brakes :-/

I assumed Acura would have at least put a better brake pad on this car to compensate for the larger wheels and extra weight, after driving about 300 miles Im going to need to swap out the stock pads. It was ok on my 2015 but for this car it needs something more aggressive, I think i will be going with EBC Red the yellow will be to much of an aggressive pad. Anyone with the aspec has any thoughts on this.
kuzdu is offline  
Old 03-06-2018, 09:16 AM
  #2  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 79,274
Thanked 13,764 Times in 10,217 Posts
you seem to be knowledgable with cars; why not buy an aftermarket pad that will live up to your expectations?
as everyone is different and will have different expectations of their car because different driving styles.
if you know the EBC red pads will be a little aggressive; why not step down one?
justnspace is online now  
Old 03-06-2018, 09:17 AM
  #3  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
teh CL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Oakville, Ont
Age: 31
Posts: 13,701
Thanked 606 Times in 454 Posts
All TLX's use the same pads - 45022-SJP-A01 for the fronts
teh CL is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to teh CL For This Useful Post:
justnspace (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 11:31 AM
  #4  
Styl1n
Thread Starter
 
kuzdu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC-Hollis, Queens
Age: 36
Posts: 845
Thanked 50 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
you seem to be knowledgable with cars; why not buy an aftermarket pad that will live up to your expectations?
as everyone is different and will have different expectations of their car because different driving styles.
if you know the EBC red pads will be a little aggressive; why not step down one?
I think you read the post wrong, I'm saying the Yellow will be to aggressive since i had them on my Type S and it took a while to warm them up. Also I am saying that i will move to the reds since the current stock pads are not living up to my expectations. The Aspec brakes are weak for that car and I'm waiting to hear from some people who actually have it and has some feedback.
kuzdu is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to kuzdu For This Useful Post:
Christopher. (05-15-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 11:34 AM
  #5  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 79,274
Thanked 13,764 Times in 10,217 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu View Post
I think you read the post wrong, I'm saying the Yellow will be to aggressive since i had them on my Type S and it took a while to warm them up. Also I am saying that i will move to the reds since the current stock pads are not living up to my expectations. The Aspec brakes are weak for that car and I'm waiting to hear from some people who actually have it and has some feedback.
( I didnt care to read fully because it's not like the pads are car specific....)
you can simply google the products you want and there will be reviews waiting for you.

on top of that; people have different driving styles. most people who buy the TLX arent going to be putting on aggressive brake pads, unless their driving style dictates it.

In addition; you are already a seasoned modder. you've already had experienced with the EBC pads...put your knowledge to good use and pick a pad you think will compliment the car.
justnspace is online now  
Old 03-06-2018, 11:52 AM
  #6  
Styl1n
Thread Starter
 
kuzdu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC-Hollis, Queens
Age: 36
Posts: 845
Thanked 50 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
( I didnt care to read fully because it's not like the pads are car specific....)
you can simply google the products you want and there will be reviews waiting for you.

on top of that; people have different driving styles. most people who buy the TLX arent going to be putting on aggressive brake pads, unless their driving style dictates it.

In addition; you are already a seasoned modder. you've already had experienced with the EBC pads...put your knowledge to good use and pick a pad you think will compliment the car.
LOL, Do you think people are idiots on this forum and cant google? If you don't have anything good to say then don't say it!! I'm waiting for the people on here who actually have the car to chime in not someone who assumes they are right in every aspect of things on this forum. Don't need to prove what mods I have done on all of my cars but this was a post to get some feedback on the drivers impression and if they have any plans on getting better pads on the car.
kuzdu is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kuzdu For This Useful Post:
hadokenuh (03-07-2018), ogiewon (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 12:49 PM
  #7  
CPR
Registered Member
 
CPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 678
Thanked 119 Times in 64 Posts
Kuzdu; Not familiar with aftermarket products, but IMHO the new A-SPEC is almost flawless
Brakes seem fine; I've made a couple of "rainy, wet" stops, with zero problems
Compared to my 2015 SH-AWD/Tech, this car buries that; (BTW: I loved that car)
Acura finally got it right; a few more HP, couldn't hurt, but who's counting
The positives far outweigh the negatives; actually, after 1,100 miles there are ZERO
Can't wait for Spring; drove to the new Casino, in Kiamesha, & the car was awesome
Quiet, subdued, & great electric steering feel; the ELS was great, as well
Enjoy!
CPR is offline  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:27 PM
  #8  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,139
Thanked 1,196 Times in 720 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR View Post
Kuzdu; Not familiar with aftermarket products, but IMHO the new A-SPEC is almost flawless
Brakes seem fine; I've made a couple of "rainy, wet" stops, with zero problems
Compared to my 2015 SH-AWD/Tech, this car buries that; (BTW: I loved that car)
Acura finally got it right; a few more HP, couldn't hurt, but who's counting
The positives far outweigh the negatives; actually, after 1,100 miles there are ZERO
Can't wait for Spring; drove to the new Casino, in Kiamesha, & the car was awesome
Quiet, subdued, & great electric steering feel; the ELS was great, as well
Enjoy!
The issue with the TLX pads are not their ability to stop in normal use although some might not like the pedal feel. Some people like a more aggressive pad to provide extra & repeatable (fade resistance) stopping power. Any time you can knock a few feet off your stopping distance is a good thing.

I tested 3 sets of pads on the COBRA & dropped the 70-0 stopping distance from 125 feet to 99 feet. Key is to always check the operating temperature of the pads. As the pads get more aggressive the usable temperature range shifts up & low temperature grip, stopping power, is lessened. That is why pure track pads can't be used on the street.

FWIW I use Hawk HP+ pads on the COBRA. The 440 has the track package option with M-Performance Brembo's
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BEAR-AvHistory For This Useful Post:
Christopher. (05-15-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 01:49 PM
  #9  
Senior Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
ggesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 12,383
Thanked 2,112 Times in 1,182 Posts
How are the stock tires on the ASPEC cars? If they are crap, might wanna consider changing out to better rubber as that will help with better braking as well.
ggesq is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggesq For This Useful Post:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-06-2018), pyrodan007 (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 02:02 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Age: 30
Posts: 153
Thanked 60 Times in 36 Posts
No upgrades to the brake pads is why the ASPEC to me is just an appearance package upgrade and not a real upgraded performance spec. Hell, even the Civic Si has upgrade brakes over the regular Civic.
fiatlux is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to fiatlux For This Useful Post:
Christopher. (05-15-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 02:07 PM
  #11  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,139
Thanked 1,196 Times in 720 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq View Post
How are the stock tires on the ASPEC cars? If they are crap, might wanna consider changing out to better rubber as that will help with better braking as well.
Agree 110%. Great brakes on crappy tires will not help at all. New tires if the stock ones are bad would be my first add before new brakes. When BMW adds the track package they also go to Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in a get flat model replacing the stock high performance summer RFT's
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BEAR-AvHistory For This Useful Post:
ggesq (03-06-2018), NBP04TL4ME (03-06-2018), pyrodan007 (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 02:29 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
pyrodan007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 595
Thanked 171 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu View Post
LOL, Do you think people are idiots on this forum and cant google? If you don't have anything good to say then don't say it!! I'm waiting for the people on here who actually have the car to chime in not someone who assumes they are right in every aspect of things on this forum. Don't need to prove what mods I have done on all of my cars but this was a post to get some feedback on the drivers impression and if they have any plans on getting better pads on the car.
​​​​​​​
Have you seen the TLX forum lately? Hardly anyone modifies their car, it's just not worth it besides cosmetics. You'll be waiting for a while before you get "I did that exact mod" response. Google is much faster.
pyrodan007 is offline  
Old 03-06-2018, 02:55 PM
  #13  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,139
Thanked 1,196 Times in 720 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007 View Post
Have you seen the TLX forum lately? Hardly anyone modifies their car, it's just not worth it besides cosmetics. You'll be waiting for a while before you get "I did that exact mod" response. Google is much faster.
Think just from the posts its pretty evident that their customer base has changed. Be interesting to see if it changes again with the new generations. One of the first "How Too's" I posted on the 3G section was changing Brembo rotors & pads. Still have the pictures some place in my old drives. Also upgraded to 275 tires in the rear & i think one size increase up front. Swapped the side markers for smoked which looked nice on the graphite car.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-06-2018 at 03:03 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BEAR-AvHistory For This Useful Post:
pyrodan007 (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 02:57 PM
  #14  
Styl1n
Thread Starter
 
kuzdu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC-Hollis, Queens
Age: 36
Posts: 845
Thanked 50 Times in 34 Posts
Yeah the tires are pretty good wayyyyyyy better than the 2015, my personal preference would be a great bite on initial braking and shorter stopping distance. From what i read last week the Reds will do the job. Hey CPR i put on my intake, sprint booster and vmcuzzler this weekend all i got to say is this thing movessssss. This weekend I'm putting on my pulley so I will need better stopping power.
kuzdu is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kuzdu For This Useful Post:
Christopher. (03-10-2018), Jerry"O" (03-12-2018), ogiewon (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 03:01 PM
  #15  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 79,274
Thanked 13,764 Times in 10,217 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu View Post
LOL, Do you think people are idiots on this forum and cant google? If you don't have anything good to say then don't say it!! I'm waiting for the people on here who actually have the car to chime in not someone who assumes they are right in every aspect of things on this forum. Don't need to prove what mods I have done on all of my cars but this was a post to get some feedback on the drivers impression and if they have any plans on getting better pads on the car.
the issue here is; you're asking a bunch of people that solely use the car as an appliance to help you dictate your pad choice....when you have the experience to pick pads without any help.
justnspace is online now  
Old 03-06-2018, 03:06 PM
  #16  
CPR
Registered Member
 
CPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 678
Thanked 119 Times in 64 Posts
IMHO; From the comfort of the sport seats;(with the thigh extender, to the quietness of the cabin, excellent auto climate control; even auto high beams, & cooled seats
Nothing to complain about from this owner
Hopefully, the electronics stay "healthy", & don't cause problems
that said, I'm elated with my choice
P.S Everyone that sees the color combo loves it!
CPR is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to CPR For This Useful Post:
ogiewon (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 03:30 PM
  #17  
Styl1n
Thread Starter
 
kuzdu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC-Hollis, Queens
Age: 36
Posts: 845
Thanked 50 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR View Post
IMHO; From the comfort of the sport seats;(with the thigh extender, to the quietness of the cabin, excellent auto climate control; even auto high beams, & cooled seats
Nothing to complain about from this owner
Hopefully, the electronics stay "healthy", & don't cause problems
that said, I'm elated with my choice
P.S Everyone that sees the color combo loves it!
Yeah man the car is awesome, I also have the 4cyl as well and the wife wants to use the aspec all the time, just scared ill need to use the tires insurance after she drives it. By the way the intake make a huge difference the car can breathe so much better now. I'm going to do the brakes upgrade on this car next week and let you know how it is. If you are in the queens area you can stop by and check it out.
kuzdu is offline  
Old 03-06-2018, 05:49 PM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
jhb31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 275
Thanked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu View Post
I assumed Acura would have at least put a better brake pad on this car to compensate for the larger wheels and extra weight, after driving about 300 miles Im going to need to swap out the stock pads. It was ok on my 2015 but for this car it needs something more aggressive, I think i will be going with EBC Red the yellow will be to much of an aggressive pad. Anyone with the aspec has any thoughts on this.
On my type S I replaced the stock pads with HAWK HPS pads (the stock ones were worn out with barely over 20k miles). Liked them a lot plus a lot less dust on the rims. The 2018 stock pads don't seem to generate as much dust as I remember from the 3rd gen stock pads on the Brembos. I don't really have much issue with the stock pads in general on the 18 as far as dust or braking. Not sure how much difference pads will make on the 18 given the tiny calipers compared to the brembos.
jhb31 is offline  
Old 03-06-2018, 06:28 PM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 82
Thanked 19 Times in 9 Posts
I’m not a car enthusiast, but when I first got the car the brakes were not broken in at all and very stiff hard to stop

After 1,500 miles of driving they’re pretty darn good right now

but yea if you’re looking for fast driving and hard stopping I’d probably go with an aftermarket brand
Sixers12 is offline  
Old 03-06-2018, 07:59 PM
  #20  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
teh CL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Oakville, Ont
Age: 31
Posts: 13,701
Thanked 606 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu View Post
LOL, Do you think people are idiots on this forum and cant google?
Oh you'd be surprised..
teh CL is offline  
Old 03-06-2018, 09:06 PM
  #21  
Styl1n
Thread Starter
 
kuzdu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC-Hollis, Queens
Age: 36
Posts: 845
Thanked 50 Times in 34 Posts
Yeah probably next week I’ll get the reds and put them on i can always swap these stock pads with my other tlx.
kuzdu is offline  
Old 03-06-2018, 09:37 PM
  #22  
Styl1n
Thread Starter
 
kuzdu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC-Hollis, Queens
Age: 36
Posts: 845
Thanked 50 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR View Post
IMHO; From the comfort of the sport seats;(with the thigh extender, to the quietness of the cabin, excellent auto climate control; even auto high beams, & cooled seats
Nothing to complain about from this owner
Hopefully, the electronics stay "healthy", & don't cause problems
that said, I'm elated with my choice
P.S Everyone that sees the color combo loves it!
On a side note when i first picked up the car i noticed it was pulling to the right, took it to intrack on Jamaica avenue the next day and all 4 wheels were off the back driver one the most. I assume the way it was on the truck being delivered maybe the hooks were on the suspension components. They did an excellent alignment 0 out everything and had me sit in the car to make sure it was 0. And you’re right they fixed the auto climate finally
kuzdu is offline  
Old 03-07-2018, 09:24 AM
  #23  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Age: 40
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
the issue here is; you're asking a bunch of people that solely use the car as an appliance to help you dictate your pad choice....when you have the experience to pick pads without any help.
While I'm sure there is some truth to this, this is your opinion and does not contribute in any way to the conversation. While having the knowledge and experience are important, it never hurts to pursue additional insight, as was done here. You never know what you may have over looked and sometimes the forums can be an important resource in addressing any gaps. That being said, I don't see any benefit to you continuing this line of dialogue.
18TLXAspec is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 18TLXAspec For This Useful Post:
Christopher. (03-10-2018), hadokenuh (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 10:53 AM
  #24  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 922
Thanked 128 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
the issue here is; you're asking a bunch of people that solely use the car as an appliance to help you dictate your pad choice....when you have the experience to pick pads without any help.
Please stop man. You don't have to be the first one to respond to every single thread. I find most of your quick responses are irrelevant and useless. Some are useful info and I agree.

If you want to moderate a thread, just issue warning or lock it when appropriate. If you want to post as member, post something relevant to the topics. Don't try to act both member and moderator at the same time.

You can delete this post as a mod after you read this. No problem.
hadokenuh is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to hadokenuh For This Useful Post:
OtownPSU (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 04:42 PM
  #25  
astronaut
 
AZuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15,377
Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,280 Posts
Acura TLX needs Emergency Braking System



AZuser is offline  
Old 03-07-2018, 06:11 PM
  #26  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,139
Thanked 1,196 Times in 720 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser View Post
Acura TLX needs Emergency Braking System


Like the air brakes looks like a combo made from an F86 & F15. Must stop pretty good.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
Old 03-07-2018, 07:36 PM
  #27  
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 19,159
Thanked 3,453 Times in 1,739 Posts
Back on topic, my A-Spec is a fun appliance. In routine driving, the stock brakes are fine and the stock rubber is quite good for all-season rubber, as long as you are nowhere near the limits. If you have any pretensions toward assertive driving, better brake pads are likely a must, as well as stickier rubber.

So OP, put on your EBC yellows and share your experience. You may start a trend.
neuronbob is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to neuronbob For This Useful Post:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-07-2018), CheeseyPoofs McNut (03-08-2018), Christopher. (03-10-2018), teh CL (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:45 AM
  #28  
Styl1n
Thread Starter
 
kuzdu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC-Hollis, Queens
Age: 36
Posts: 845
Thanked 50 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
Back on topic, my A-Spec is a fun appliance. In routine driving, the stock brakes are fine and the stock rubber is quite good for all-season rubber, as long as you are nowhere near the limits. If you have any pretensions toward assertive driving, better brake pads are likely a must, as well as stickier rubber.

So OP, put on your EBC yellows and share your experience. You may start a trend.
agreed and agreed, will be doing this next week.
kuzdu is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to kuzdu For This Useful Post:
neuronbob (03-11-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 12:52 PM
  #29  
Senior Moderator
 
Mr Hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 41
Posts: 5,421
Thanked 585 Times in 275 Posts
Yeah definitely let us know what you think, Acura/Hondas have always had lack luster brakes, may upgrade the pads on my car in the near future as well, but I haven't explored the options yet.

Better tires definitely make a difference. The difference when I switch from my OEM Goodyears to the Michelin PSSs are night and day for braking as well as handling. So much so that I think this will be my last winter on the Goodyears.
Mr Hyde is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 09:56 AM
  #30  
CPR
Registered Member
 
CPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 678
Thanked 119 Times in 64 Posts
IMHO the stock Michelin Primacy's & A-SPEC brakes are fine, for anyone that doesn't use Roebling Raceway for entertainment!
C'mon guys, it's not a race car, but a damn good people hauler
I've had it up to 100MPH, on the hwy., & the suspension, & electric steering are terrific
Also, the car is way quieter than my 6 previous TLX, TL, & CL vehicles
As stated before, Acura hit a home run with the TLX/SH-AWD/A-SPEC
Just show me any other car for the price, that has the amenities of this one
I love it.
CPR is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 11:15 AM
  #31  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,139
Thanked 1,196 Times in 720 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR View Post
IMHO the stock Michelin Primacy's & A-SPEC brakes are fine, for anyone that doesn't use Roebling Raceway for entertainment!
C'mon guys, it's not a race car, but a damn good people hauler
I've had it up to 100MPH, on the hwy., & the suspension, & electric steering are terrific
Also, the car is way quieter than my 6 previous TLX, TL, & CL vehicles
As stated before, Acura hit a home run with the TLX/SH-AWD/A-SPEC
Just show me any other car for the price, that has the amenities of this one
I love it.
And for 90% of the current customer demographic you are most likely correct. For the other 10% they would like a car that performs more like the TLX in all the TV adds. As for the 35,000 to 40,000 people who no longer buy Acura TL/TLX's each year the question is where did they all go? For every single TLX sold today a former owner is buying something else. We do know based on a number of current threads Audi is soaking up some who have stuck it out so far.

One time the TL was a really true value proposition that could go head to head in the high performance road tests with the Germans & other Japanese makes. Today it seems to be competing with Camry, Buick, Maxima etc.

The loss of Summer Tires, LSD, Brembo Brakes, performance suspension etc should really be a major shout out as to where the brand is now & who its matches up against value wise.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-09-2018 at 11:21 AM.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BEAR-AvHistory For This Useful Post:
honda_nut (05-11-2018), teh CL (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 11:24 AM
  #32  
Registered Member
 
pyrodan007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 595
Thanked 171 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
One time the TL was a really true value proposition that could go head to head in the high performance road tests with the Germans & other Japanese makes. Today it seems to be competing with Camry, Buick, Maxima etc.
Add the new 2019 Altima to the list, actually getting an optional AWD version. This will really hurt Acura, Accord as well when looking at the Canadian market.

https://www.motor1.com/news/235418/2...altima-teaser/
pyrodan007 is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 12:18 PM
  #33  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,139
Thanked 1,196 Times in 720 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR View Post
IMHO the stock Michelin Primacy's & A-SPEC brakes are fine, for anyone that doesn't use Roebling Raceway for entertainment!
C'mon guys, it's not a race car, but a damn good people hauler.

I've had it up to 100MPH, on the hwy., & the suspension, & electric steering are terrific
I would humbly suggest you are wrong. I have driven the TLX & agree its a nice car but as delivered I would want no part of 100MPH runs in it. Steering, brakes & tires are like a weapon, you don't need one till you need one.

There is a simple drill at many high performance driving schools the is run at only 35MPH to get a feel for the course. Then is run for time against the other 15 members in your group. What seems to be easy in the 35mph dry runs quickly gives most experienced drivers in quality handling cars a nice OH!! S**T moment as you take a 180 degree turn into a 100 yard straight to build up speed into the chicane. Running against the others forces you to get a real feel for what can happen at speed if something suddenly happens in front of you because the competition pushes you to go to the limit.

Typically on 10 tries 1/2 or more of the group don't make it & I have never seen a 10 for 10 clean run. Knock down any cone & the run is a DNF miss the stopping box & get a 2 second penalty.

https://media.bmwperformancecenter.c...ane-change.mp4

Speaking of 100MPH runs its not unusual on rural sections of the interstate down here with WAZE in operation to travel for long distances at 90MPH or so. Even remember rush hour on the NJTP/GSP doing 80MPH or so. A few bucks extra for quality tires, brakes & suspension is worth it to me to up my chances it something unexpected happens at speed.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-09-2018 at 12:32 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 12:31 PM
  #34  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,139
Thanked 1,196 Times in 720 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007 View Post
Add the new 2019 Altima to the list, actually getting an optional AWD version. This will really hurt Acura, Accord as well when looking at the Canadian market.

https://www.motor1.com/news/235418/2...altima-teaser/
2019/2020 like to be big years all round with a lot of all new not just upgraded cars coming out.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 10:35 PM
  #35  
Senior Moderator
 
neuronbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland area, OH
Posts: 19,159
Thanked 3,453 Times in 1,739 Posts
I can assure you that the A-Spec is solid at nearly 100 mph on the one run I took to that speed. Brakes work well at that speed, but like any stock brakes on a family sedan, I wouldn’t trust them for repeated stops for that speed, and nor have I tried.
neuronbob is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neuronbob For This Useful Post:
9SpeedTran (06-20-2018), CPR (03-12-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 09:00 PM
  #36  
Registered Member
 
Christopher.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 429
Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
I would humbly suggest you are wrong. I have driven the TLX & agree its a nice car but as delivered I would want no part of 100MPH runs in it. Steering, brakes & tires are like a weapon, you don't need one till you need one.
While I agree that it'd be nice to have grabbier faster stopping brakes, I have to say that 100MPH in my TLX does not even feel close to "dangerously fast" - that is, unless a deer ran in front of my car out of nowhere, or somebody coming the opposite direction crossed over in front of me suddenly.

It would, of course, also be nice to have slightly better (but mostly just stiffer) suspension as a "driving mode" (electronically selectable).
Christopher. is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher. For This Useful Post:
CPR (03-12-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 09:15 PM
  #37  
Senior Moderator
 
csmeance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Daytona Beach/Gainesville FL
Posts: 18,044
Thanked 991 Times in 691 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher. View Post
While I agree that it'd be nice to have grabbier faster stopping brakes, I have to say that 100MPH in my TLX does not even feel close to "dangerously fast" - that is, unless a deer ran in front of my car out of nowhere, or somebody coming the opposite direction crossed over in front of me suddenly.

It would, of course, also be nice to have slightly better (but mostly just stiffer) suspension as a "driving mode" (electronically selectable).


The TLX's brakes aren't the most responsive brakes compared to more performance cars. The 3G TL had brakes that bite much better initially. 4G lost some of that grab/bite and the TLX doesn't have much of it. ET500 pads are what I'm using over the factory pads on the 4G and they are pretty good! Folks compare them to the EBC Red since they are both street pads with similar data. The Red may not be as aggressive as you may want, but it should be an improvement. If you are worried about the bite when cold, you can always do Red on the front yellow on the rears to help improve cold braking and add a bit more performance.

IMO brake pads are cheaper than tires to try out first.
csmeance is offline  
Old 03-10-2018, 09:42 PM
  #38  
MASTER CAR BULIDER
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC - USA
Age: 77
Posts: 5,139
Thanked 1,196 Times in 720 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher. View Post
While I agree that it'd be nice to have grabbier faster stopping brakes, I have to say that 100MPH in my TLX does not even feel close to "dangerously fast" - that is, unless a deer ran in front of my car out of nowhere, or somebody coming the opposite direction crossed over in front of me suddenly.

It would, of course, also be nice to have slightly better (but mostly just stiffer) suspension as a "driving mode" (electronically selectable).
Thats exactly what I am talking about. The ability to react to sudden emergencies. Most modern cars in good repair should be able to cruise at 100MPH if the laws & road conditions enabled them. Deer here are an everyday - night especially - occurrence. High speed cruise on the interstate is normal. Its accident avoidance thats important. I would choose my car 10 for 10 over a nice family car with nice family car brakes, nice family car suspension & nice family car tires in an emergency. As a percentage of purchase price brake, suspension & tire upgrades are cheap insurance.

That PRS avoidance drill was a Come to Jesus moment for pretty much all of the students who have never run one before. You don't really know how hard it is to safely do it till you have the opportunity to try it in a safe environment.

Almost half the class never made or had penalties hits in 10 tries even though the cars were capable of performing the maneuver at close to twice the initial practice speed. Best time in our group was low 22 seconds worse high 30 seconds & they missed on all 10 runs. So in some cases being slow did not help them because they had not used good technique.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-10-2018 at 09:51 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
Old 03-11-2018, 03:34 AM
  #39  
Registered Member
 
nothome17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Age: 38
Posts: 424
Thanked 68 Times in 40 Posts
Acura had to keep the cost down somewhere.

Been around toyota tacoma forums and owners have been upgrading to Buddy Club brakes.
nothome17 is offline  
Old 03-11-2018, 12:04 PM
  #40  
Registered Member
 
Christopher.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 429
Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts
How do the stock brake pads comapre to something like this? (Auto Parts store "premium" brake pads)
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...84h/10866502-P

edit: The on review of those pads on that site says: "These were a perfect replacement in terms of fit, and have quality shims which negate any brake noise- but they don't bite as much as OEM pads. Replaced front and back pads, and all new Wearever Rotors on 2015 Acura TLX. Smooth stopping but wish they had more friction."

I want to be able to stop hard and fast, I want my tires to be the limiting factor, not my brakes. But, wouldn't the stock brakes & pads be able to lock up the wheels just fine as is? So maybe it's not braking power so much as the feel? I mean, I'm used to old cars with old brakes being able to lock the tires and squeel, meaning that the power of brakes has typically been greater than the ability of tires to stick to the road. Is that not the case with our TLXs?

Originally Posted by nothome17 View Post
Acura had to keep the cost down somewhere.
On a $40,000 "performance" automobile, they can't put good brakes?!?

Last edited by Christopher.; 03-11-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Christopher. is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ASPEC Brakes :-/


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.