Bad day for my innocent TL - Good Body Shop in Ancaster, Ontario area??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad day for my innocent TL - Good Body Shop in Ancaster, Ontario area??

As I was waiting for a red light to turn green I saw a mini van approaching fast in the rear view mirror, next thing you know bang. I quickly got out and check on my son who was strapped in his car seat, he was fine I then proceeded to inspect the damage. I asked the driver of the mini van what the hell he was doing. He told me he was checking on his son in his back seat and he thought he had already stopped his van.

I am pretty pissed b/c my 06 TL had less then 50,000km. It has, sorry I mean it had no damage not even a scratch.

I have a couple of questions for everyone:

1. Can anyone recommend a really good body shop in the Hamiton/Ancaster/Burlington area?
2. How do I make sure the auto body shop really uses new Acura parts?
3. Would you ask the insurance company to replace my sons child seat as the manual say not to use it if it has been in any type of accident.
4. Anyone want to guess on the $$ of damage I say $4500 Canadian.

Last edited by monacm2; 02-05-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Very sorry to hear. The important thing is that you and your son are fine, and that the other driver and their child were also fine. I wouldn't give a flying fudge about my car.

As for replacing the child seat...I don't know. I'd say its not really necessary in this situation, but then again, I have had 0.0 children in my lifetime.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Where the fug is Ancaster?

Sorry to hear about your situation, it always sucks to take such good care of something only to have it damaged by others. It seems he was travelling pretty quickly to think his car was stopped

I'd say $4500 is a bit high, it looks worse than it is. New bumper cover, rear Aspec lip, looks like a new driver's side taillight too. If you're lucky, you can get away without a new trunklid and exhaust tip. You'll have to wait till the teardown to get an accurate estimate, though.

If you want to make sure the body shop uses new Acura OEM parts, just ask them straight up. It's a Yes or No question. If you really want to be sure, you could ask to look at the recipts when all is said and done. Check your insurance policy, though, some policies allow aftermarket parts to be used.

As far as the child seat thing goes, I'd ask for a new one just to be on the safe side. No reason to take a chance, no matter how small, especially where your child is concerned. Besides, it's on your insurance's dime

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
[QUOTE=monacm2;12687744][LEFT]As I was waiting for a red light to turn green I saw a mini van approaching fast in the rear view mirror, next thing you know bang. I quickly got out and check on my son who was strapped in his car seat, he was fine I then proceeded to inspect the damage. I asked the driver of the mini van what the hell he was doing. He told me he was checking on his son in his back seat and he thought he had already stopped his van.

Scary thing is, there are drivers like this everywhere.

Be thankful no one was hurt; insurance will take care of the car.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Instructor

Wow sorry for your loss. I know what you mean cause I also got hit in a stupid accident around a month ago. I'm glad that both your kid and the other driver's kid are okay. Maybe you could use this opportunity to change it to a Type-S Bumper with Type-S rear lip? Just saying... it's a great opportunity if you plan to do any mods to your car in the future.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
If you are willing to come to Toronto for service, I know at least two shops that would treat you well...Let me know!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by monacm2

I have a couple of questions for everyone:

1. Can anyone recommend a really good body shop in the Hamiton/Ancaster/Burlington area?
2. How do I make sure the auto body shop really uses new Acura parts?
3. Would you ask the insurance company to replace my sons child seat as the manual say not to use it if it has been in any type of accident.
4. Anyone want to guess on the $$ of damage I say $4500 Canadian.
My suggestion to you is to get a lawyer asap. You and your son should both go see a doctor to make sure their is nothing wrong with either of you even if you think there is nothing wrong. Legally the insurance company has to replace the car seat just tell them you want a new one.

My son and I were in an accident that cause an injury to him that we did not notice till a few weeks later. This happened in June. I did not get a lawyer right away and now I am being jerked around by the Insurance company for his injury settlement. Thankfully my insurance company took great care of me. They immediately got me a rental, started my body work, paid for it, paid for a new car seat, and billed the other drivers insurance for the repairs so I did not have to wait for my car to be repaired any longer than the repairs took. Also check to see if your providence requires the insurance company to pay depreciation value of your vehicle because of the accident. As far as body work is concerned, I would contact your insurance company and take it to a repair shop they approve of, not what the other drivers insurance suggests.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:14 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Looks like he was definitely going "too fast" to think he was "already stopped".
He has to be moving at least 30km/h.

From what I can see... the trunk and tail light may be salvageable.
The bumper and a-spec is obviously damaged. The A-Spec, though, may also be salvaged.
If you're lucky the frame isn't too damage.
And if it's not, a new bumper can cost you anywhere from 250-350 new and unpainted. [You can find it for less, perhaps, from a vendor or on the BM].
Painting will run you another 150-250.

If you report the incident in full detail to your insurance company, they should replace the child-seat along with helping you out with the damage.
If the frame isn't damage, you might as well get a new A-Spec+Rear Bumper. Then resell the rear a-spec locally or in the BM.

Glad to hear you four are a-o-k. Should double check as someone else said to be sure though.

Goodluck.

Originally Posted by Aman
Where the fug is Ancaster?
Ancaster is essentially "apart" of Hamilton. It's a neighboring city.

Last edited by o4Komodo; 02-06-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
I'm guessing it'll be more than $4,500 CDN because I just got into a minor accident. They just need to repaint the drivers door, replace the front quarter panel, repaint the bumper and it's already estimated at $3,500 and they don't even know why it isn't driving straight. Seems like something needs to be straightened out since your trunk is raised.

aaaand, I'd go see a doctor ASAP, especially take your son. When I got into my first accident I was advised that it's best to see a doctor within the first 24 hours of the accident. Glad you and your son are alright.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:35 AM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like a 5mph collision. Be thankful for that, especially with son in vehicle.
Just let his insurance set you straight and be happy.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Advanced

I took my son to the hospital right after we were hit just to make sure everything was ok.

From visual inspection the bumper cover, aspec lip and driver side taillight need to be replaceded. The trunk lid is not scratched or dented but it is pushed up so it might be warped, not sure of structural damage. I don't really care how much it will cost because it was not my fault and I will not be paying a penny.

I am going to call the police station tomorrow to insist the other driver be charged because someone could have really been hurt due to his lack of attention to the road. It is not like he even tried to stop he just drove right into me.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigPZ
If you are willing to come to Toronto for service, I know at least two shops that would treat you well...Let me know!
I working in Mississauga so it's definitely an option to bring it to Toronto, who can you recommend?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi there sorry to hear about the incidents, my suggestions take it to the dealer, I know erin mills acura has their own body shop at least you'll be sure they'll be using oem parts.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pnoi521
I'm guessing it'll be more than $4,500 CDN .
Agreed....I'd say in the $6-7K area if they use OEM Acura parts. I had a similar repair last year, and I hit $10K...these parts are not cheap. And if any surrounding body panel is tweaked, like the trunk lid or quarter, that is additional labour.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
don't take it to the dealer. Prices are outrageous. But then again, if you're 100% not at fault, then who cares. Glad you're okay.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
427 Auto Collision in Etobicoke (Evans Ave.)is where Sherway Acura takes there cars and some other dealers. I haven't used them but here good things about them.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would say your probably around 2500-3000 if that. i work in a bodyshop up in newmarket and im a licensed bodyman, i see these all the time its nothing major. All that it is is, changeing bumper cover, new taillight trunk is fine just need to adjust if anything and a refinish also by the looks of it your trunk hit the quarter panel and it should be refinished. and also your rebar would need to be pulled back BY the looks of it! if your trunk went up like that there has to be some kind of damage to your rebar not major though. For your question about making sure its all OEM acura parts, just talk to the owner of the shop or manager about it, tell them you want all brand new OEM acura parts, but i highly doubt that they will have brand new parts from acura for that year. If anything it will be BRAND NEW AFTERMARKER(dont do it) if anything they can get a Remanufactured bumper cover and just refinish it so its like brand new ( it is a oem acura part) and used tailight thats in good condition but acura will probably have it! so good luck keep in touch! let me know if my advice helped thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont bring it to the dealer most dealers use other shops such as a maaco, carstar, any franchise, which isnt bad nothing wrong with those companys( some of them ) but yeh just make sure your in good hands there are alot of butchers out there so be careful!!