Advice on buying a High Mileage TSX

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:15 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on buying a High Mileage TSX

Is it worth it to buy a 2004 Acura TSX with 265,000km on it? The car has had no major issues with it. No major repairs. Well maintained. Highway km. Interior is mint. Exterior no issues. No accidents. No rust, no scratches. Rock chips at the front of the car.

The price: $8000

Is it worth it? How long will it last for? What issues could arise?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:56 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
That's a lot of driving in 5 years. It does have a honda engine and as long as the oil was changed on time, it can take it. Is it at the dealer? I'd consider doing the timing belt/water pump service...or bargain that into the deal. Check how much life the brakes have left.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:53 AM
9th Gear

It is private and oil changes done on time. The guy has a mechanic in the fam so he took care of it. The brakes are being done before being sold.

I thought the TSX had a timing chain and didnt need changing. Does the water pump need changing in the tsx as well?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:11 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Oh, that could be. I'm not too familiar with the TSX to be honest. But if it is chain driven, then you'll be fine. I've heard they make them to last forever. Try posting in the TSX section...they'll have much more first hand knowledge for you.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Highway mileage are super easy on the car, it shouldn't be a problem and the price is right.

Get the car checked out by your mechanic and see what he has to say.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ty to negociate to 7 K i'v see Tsx with 150 km goes for 14 at the dealer
Old 10-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
IIRC, TSX is a K24 so chain-driven. But I've heard that the AC pump is susceptible.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Awesome Memeber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the car safety and checked at Honda, before you buy it. Make sure you know what problems it has before getting. Otherwise that is a decent price, ask for 7k...buy for 7500
Old 10-22-2009, 03:01 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my tsx has 240K miles on it. i bought my 2004 tsx brand new with 7 miles on it. and i do a lot of driving, mostly highway. i change my fluids all the time and drive my car well and easy. its been a rock solid vehicle so far with no major problems. so yes i would say you have nothing to worry about. but i cant promise you that. but my experience has been excellent.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Cor-El
Is it worth it to buy a 2004 Acura TSX with 265,000km on it? The car has had no major issues with it. No major repairs. Well maintained. Highway km. Interior is mint. Exterior no issues. No accidents. No rust, no scratches. Rock chips at the front of the car.

The price: $8000

Is it worth it? How long will it last for? What issues could arise?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
what year was that 2004 manufactured?
there are some report of 2004 tsx with
1. ac compressor goes bad and entire AC system need to be replaced.
2. centre console light goes out ** TSB and Acura extend the warranty.
3. water pump bearing goes bad ** driving in low speed and listen for high pitch sound like turbo spool up at ~~1000-2000rpm
4. front axe, speed up from 60 km/hr in 3rd and notice steering wheel.
5. AT unit, the 2004 ATF oci was 160k, but in 2005 the oci was revised to like 45k. so check record if owner change atf
6. accessory belt and tensionor check
7. some report of early K24 on TSX timing chain/related components failed.
8. AT shiftgate make click noise when speeding cross ~8km/h.

all all, i will watch the AC compressor for sure, look like many many 2004 TSX got this in US around 80k miles, here in Canada we use AC less so may have
a longer life. some suggest the new freon need to be change out because it does not lubricate compressor after a while compare to the old one.

other than that, i love this car. i am holding on to my 2004 as long as i can
Old 12-21-2009, 01:35 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The a/c compressor is what i've been concerned with lately. Everyone tells me there's no need for me to recharge the system. But my thinking is that the lubrication has to be breaking down after 240k miles and living in hot southern cali. My air still runs great so far, but when the compressor cycles on and the engine is idling it does seem pretty loud now during normal operation.

So my thought was a recharge would smooth things out to help that compressor run smoothly. But all the advice i got was thats its not really necessary. Should i recharge the system for 100 bucks?

If so i'm worried how easy of this is to do. Could a local mechanic screw this up somehow? The last thing i want is to introduce a new problem into a system that works fine currently with the factory fluids. Should i do this preventative maintenance fix or just let it be?

I've been very conscious to purposely turn off the compressor lately all the time to extend its operational life. But the other side of this is that all these years i've never cared and used the a/c all the time, which could actually have been a good thing by always keeping the compressor lubricated. So now i make sure to run the compressor once a day for 15 minutes to keep it lubricated. Thoughts?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RogerPodacter
The a/c compressor is what i've been concerned with lately. Everyone tells me there's no need for me to recharge the system. But my thinking is that the lubrication has to be breaking down after 240k miles and living in hot southern cali. My air still runs great so far, but when the compressor cycles on and the engine is idling it does seem pretty loud now during normal operation.

So my thought was a recharge would smooth things out to help that compressor run smoothly. But all the advice i got was thats its not really necessary. Should i recharge the system for 100 bucks?

If so i'm worried how easy of this is to do. Could a local mechanic screw this up somehow? The last thing i want is to introduce a new problem into a system that works fine currently with the factory fluids. Should i do this preventative maintenance fix or just let it be?

I've been very conscious to purposely turn off the compressor lately all the time to extend its operational life. But the other side of this is that all these years i've never cared and used the a/c all the time, which could actually have been a good thing by always keeping the compressor lubricated. So now i make sure to run the compressor once a day for 15 minutes to keep it lubricated. Thoughts?
i too have a 2004 tsx, but at very low mileage. but i dont know which is the better answer for your TSX. but i will have acura service my ac because my tsx is a low mileage (ac only on 10 times this year..), may have a better chance for good will if it break down. also, the 2003 crv also suffer from the same issue, remember, Acura start selling TSX as early as March 2003, and they both came from same factory in Japan. there is a huge thread about this AC issue on the subforum of TSX 1G problem and fix and it's not funny. check it out.