Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…
View Poll Results: Prenup or not?
Married - prenup signed
1.10%
Married - no prenup
26.37%
Divorced - had prenup
1.10%
Divorced - didn't have prenup
4.40%
Never married - definitely want prenup
47.25%
Never married - definitely do not want prenup
19.78%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Prenup

Old 08-03-2005, 06:18 AM
sumbdy gettin used 2nite!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spidey07
Just about anything she can take half or more. It all depends on how good her attorney is.

A buddy of mine had a 500K house, half a million in savings/retirement.

Got married.

2 years later she found somebody else.

She took the house and 3/4 of his retirement/savings.
Then they set him up on a sting because he wants to hire a murderer to kill her so he can get his shit back.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Suzuka Master

So if you sign over all your assets that aren't jointly owned to, say, your parents if you suspect something is about to go down, are they then safe? or can the ho still take them?
Old 08-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
http://www.legalzoom.com/law_library...-faq_what.html

Read the faq
Old 08-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL

Has anyone noticed NO females voted for one?

Well, that's because I want to vote for "Never married - I don't really have anything against it so whatever the guy is most comfortable with".
Old 08-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by sasha
Well, that's because I want to vote for "Never married - I don't really have anything against it so whatever the guy is most comfortable with".
You're a mod, add the option!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:18 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by bmoreTLS
Then they set him up on a sting because he wants to hire a murderer to kill her so he can get his shit back.

also sounds like he had a bad lawyer
Old 08-03-2005, 11:19 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike97 3.0P
So if you sign over all your assets that aren't jointly owned to, say, your parents if you suspect something is about to go down, are they then safe? or can the ho still take them?

it's my understanding, prenups are really only good for money you have before the marriage. Even w/ a good prenup (yes prenups are rarely set things even though you'd think they are), anything you guys make while married will be split 50/50
Old 08-03-2005, 11:20 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by amisconception
btw, it's called a prenuptial agreement because both partners AGREE to the terms. what's wrong with coming up with a gameplan for a possible/probably break up? blind faith never saved the people (usually men) from getting screwed over by their ex's.
Yes, but getting both parties to agree whole heartedly is easier said than done. And when one party isnt really into it, even getting their signature may not hold up in court as they can claim duress.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

No one is talking about the simple solution to prenups. 1) Marry a girl who comes with money 2) Marry a girl who makes more money than you.

I'd like to apply. Please let me know where I can fax my resume to.

Actually, I think the prenup is another area where the is thrown at guys but not girls. If a daughter of a rich man wants to get a prenup, I don't think most guys would object and I don't think society would look at it negatively. But when guys want to get one, it's automatically assumed he'll cheat on her and he wants to divorce cheaply.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SDCGTSX
No one is talking about the simple solution to prenups. 1) Marry a girl who comes with money 2) Marry a girl who makes more money than you.

I'd like to apply. Please let me know where I can fax my resume to.

Actually, I think the prenup is another area where the is thrown at guys but not girls. If a daughter of a rich man wants to get a prenup, I don't think most guys would object and I don't think society would look at it negatively. But when guys want to get one, it's automatically assumed he'll cheat on her and he wants to divorce cheaply.
Bravo.... Couldnt have said it better myself
Old 08-03-2005, 08:46 PM
sumbdy gettin used 2nite!

Originally Posted by fdl
Yes, but getting both parties to agree whole heartedly is easier said than done. And when one party isnt really into it, even getting their signature may not hold up in court as they can claim duress.

That sucks!

That's like her saying later... "ummm... I didn't really mean it I just wanted to get married, now give me half!"
Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Sorry for the thread revival, but I was curious.
What if you don't have a whole lot when you get married, but have intentions and feelings that you may become rather successful and acquire a considerable amount of assests down the road. Does a pre-nup cover your ass on that?
Pre-nups are "customizable" aren't they. You can have clauses in there saying what's game and such, correct, or would it be fair game since you earned the assets during the marriage?

Originally Posted by Shoofin
IMHO, Anyone considering a prenup is pretty much expecting to get divorced...
I'm ready to for the
I would disagree.
No one gets married thinking "Damn, I hate this woman; I wonder when the divorce will be" (at least most people don't), but shit happens, and so do divorces.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
my girl and I have talked about and if we get married there will be a prenup. We both agree on this.

Hell. If I pop the the question to her...her rengagement ring AND wedding band will be grandmothers......if we were to divorce those hierlooms come back to my family.
I'm curious Sarlacc, did you end up signing one? I'm guessing so. Just checkin.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
Sorry for the thread revival, but I was curious.
What if you don't have a whole lot when you get married, but have intentions and feelings that you may become rather successful and acquire a considerable amount of assests down the road. Does a pre-nup cover your ass on that?
The prenup is generally to protect pre-existing assets of a spouse.

In a community property state like California, anything earned through work by each spouse during marriage is community property, while passive earnings through individual assets remains the property of the spouse owning the assets.

And I just voted in the poll- I'm the only poster here who is married with a pre-nup??! Yes, I'm a lawyer, but I don't generally deal with family law.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Will Y.

In a community property state like California, anything earned through work by each spouse during marriage is community property, while passive earnings through individual assets remains the property of the spouse owning the assets.

And I just voted in the poll- I'm the only poster here who is married with a pre-nup??! Yes, I'm a lawyer, but I don't generally deal with family law.
Ok, so lets take this for example.
Lets say during the course of a marriage in which I had a prenup, I bought four apartment complexes in which I established later into a company. In the event of a divorce, would she just get assets that I currently had at the time of divorce? Would she be entitled to "take over" any part of the properties which I had already built into a company?

Last edited by TS_eXpeed; 11-11-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Team Owner

.....AND, if pre-nups do only cover pre-marital assets,

...would a post-nup cover things if I ended up acquiring significant assets during the marriage?

Last edited by TS_eXpeed; 11-11-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:58 PM
¿baCon?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If she makes more than me no prenup.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by swoleCL
If she makes more than me no prenup.
Is that suggesting you just wouldn't ask for you, or would you refuse to sign one if she did?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Registered but harmless

Ok, so lets take this for example.
Lets say during the course of a marriage in which I had a prenup, I bought four apartment complexes in which I established later into a company. In the event of a divorce, would she just get assets that I currently had at the time of divorce? Would she be entitled to "take over" any part of the properties which I had already built into a company?
In CA, it depends on the origin of the funds used to buy those complexes- were separate assets used? If so, the complexes are separate property. However, I don't know how the income from those complexes, or the new company, would be characterized-- I suspect those would be community earnings. Best thing to do is to check some legal sites for Texas, or whatever state the couple's residence will be.
.....AND, if pre-nups do only cover pre-marital assets,
...would a post-nup cover things if I ended up acquiring significant assets during the marriage?
In CA:
If you acquire significant assets through inheritance or separate property (sale of stock acquired before marriage), those assets would remain separate property.
If you acquire those assets from work during marriage, the assets are community property.

I'm not sure if you can do an enforceable post-nup without the parties being in a fairly equal bargaining position- like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, for example. It's best to check the law for (or a lawyer in) Texas or wherever the happy couple will reside.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Thank god I didn't get one
Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
None for me. Never even crossed my mind. Call me naive, or maybe too trusting.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I could not imagine a worse way for a marriage to begin than by leagally defining how it will end.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1Louder
I could not imagine a worse way for a marriage to begin than by leagally defining how it will end.
It's called trust.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:03 PM
I make Boom Boom in

Really depends on if you or her have money. And I mean lots of it. If you are both broke starting out, I don't see the point.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

LOL. I believe in HI, even if the ex doesn't own the house, she is entitled to some portion of it's value contingent on how many years she resided in said house during the marriage. Plus, our divorce rate here is higher than the national average

I'd like to think that when i get engaged, there won't be an iota of doubt that i'll be spending the rest of my life with my fiance. That being said, it's hard to argue with statistics. I guess that's why i'm still in my mid 30s and single, just trying to be picky, especially considering how much assets i will be bringing into the marriage that i've accrued through 6 years of practice.

I guess it's a good thing my patient is one of the top divorce attorneys in town lolz. He promises an "iron clad" prenup so i don't end up like phil collins.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
It's called trust.
I understand that perspective as well, but say you were someone with millions in assets and your significant other had a job that paid $30K/year and she loves it. That's awesome.

When two people get married, both trust that they love each other with all their hearts and minds, but sometimes things turn sour. Whether its because of infidelity, family issues, w/e, shit happens sometimes. Tell me one person who got married intending to divorce them.

You don't know anyone like that because that just doesn't happen. But isn't it nice to know that if something happens, you have a little 'insurance'? You know you've heard it before. Two people being deeply in love with each other, than years down the road, one of the two asks for a divorce, and things can get bitter. The wife all the sudden is wanting all your shit, and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
^Motherf-in werd! People change, hairstyles change, interest rates fluctuate. Tell me you're the same person you were 10 years ago, 5 years ago, or even 1 year ago. I mean, a divorce rate >50%. I don't mean to sound like warren and i'm not a gambler but those odds ain't too good.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Team Owner

I'm not going to argue for or against you guys getting one. It's just not for me.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Tell me one person who got married intending to divorce them.
Anyone who has a prenup. I'm not saying they're bad people or that I don't live in the real world and understand what goes on. But a prenup is simply saying you feel it's likely or somewhat possible this marriage will end, so here's how it will do down when it does. Folks can all they want, it is what it is.

You don't know anyone like that because that just doesn't happen. But isn't it nice to know that if something happens, you have a little 'insurance'? You know you've heard it before. Two people being deeply in love with each other, than years down the road, one of the two asks for a divorce, and things can get bitter. The wife all the sudden is wanting all your shit, and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.
To me it comes down to why are you getting married.

If you intend to be married for as long as it works for the two of you, or you feel there is some fundamental mistrust you want to guard against, and you have something worth loosing - then sure - prenup away. If it's just a mutual agreement, why not.

If you intend to build a life with someone, for better or worse, then why would you even introduce that element of doubt to begin your life together.

But like I said - it depends on how you view what it means to be married or what you want to get out of a marriage. I would personally never have one. If I didn't trust her enough to the point where I felt like I needed one, I shouldn't be getting married.

Last edited by 1Louder; 11-11-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Anyone who has a prenup. I'm not saying they're bad people or that I don't live in the real world and understand what goes on. But a prenup is simply saying you feel it's likely or somewhat possible this marriage will end, so here's how it will do down when it does. Folks can all they want, it is what it is.

To me it comes down to why are you getting married.

If you intend to be married for as long as it works for the two of you, or you feel there is some fundamental mistrust you want to guard against, and you have something worth loosing - then sure - prenup away. If it's just a mutual agreement, why not.

If you intend to build a life with someone, for better or worse, then why would you even introduce that element of doubt to begin your life together.

But like I said - it depends on how you view what it means to be married or what you want to get out of a marriage. I would personally never have one. If I didn't trust her enough to the point where I felt like I needed one, I shouldn't be getting married.
I guess I feel otherwise. I know plenty of people who have entered marriages with prenups without the intention, or even the consideration, of eventually divorcing. Most of these people have been married for several years and are entirely devoted to each other.

I have never been married, but if I eventually decide to one day tie the knot, I will absolutely have a prenup. Why? The same reason I carry insurance on my home and business. The same reason why some of my investments are insured. Unforeseen circumstances. I do not intend or expect any ill harm to come to myself or what I have worked for, but I'm not going to assume that just because I don't expect something unforeseeable to happen it most likely won't.

Terry
Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
I guess I feel otherwise. I know plenty of people who have entered marriages with prenups without the intention, or even the consideration, of eventually divorcing. Most of these people have been married for several years and are entirely devoted to each other.

I have never been married, but if I eventually decide to one day tie the knot, I will absolutely have a prenup. Why? The same reason I carry insurance on my home and business. The same reason why some of my investments are insured. Unforeseen circumstances. I do not intend or expect any ill harm to come to myself or what I have worked for, but I'm not going to assume that just because I don't expect something unforeseeable to happen it most likely won't.

Terry
Old 11-12-2008, 12:31 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,081 Likes on 2,698 Posts

I'm curious Sarlacc, did you end up signing one? I'm guessing so. Just checkin.
Nope.

After a lot of debate and back and forth...we discovered much of what has been said here. A prenup really only protects any assets you have prior to entering the marriage. Of which there really is none for either of us, with the exception of the condo she bought around the time we became engaged.

After that came the feelings of not wanting to enter a marriage thinking of it as already being over before it began.

Divorce in california is fucked up as it is and a prenup in our situation wouldnt do anything.

Had either of us actually had any significant monetary holdings, yes, we would have gotten one.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Registered but harmless

Anyone who has a prenup...But a prenup is simply saying you feel it's likely or somewhat possible this marriage will end, so here's how it will do down when it does.

Since I'm the only one with a pre-nup in this thread, I will respond.

It is possible that a marriage will end in divorce, regardless of how the couple feels at the time of engagement, upon marriage, or at their 20th anniversary. Because of that possibility, it makes sense to take precautions to minimize any rancor and damage.
The fact that I wear protective gear for certain activities does not mean I expect to get hurt or doubt my own abilities-- it is to guard against possible, albeit unlikely consequences from the activity for which I wear the gear.

Discussion of separate property should not introduce any element of doubt or mistrust-- a discussion should eliminate or reduce doubts about the one's life partner. A prenup permits the couple to discuss and evaluate their premarital financial situation and expectations for the future, which is a good thing that creates trust rather than diminishes trust.
Originally Posted by teranfon
I know plenty of people who have entered marriages with prenups without the intention, or even the consideration, of eventually divorcing. Most of these people have been married for several years and are entirely devoted to each other.
Our 14th anniversary is this month-- no divorce papers as of today.

I will never have to deal with the pre-nup, because my wife has promised that she will kill me quickly rather than divorce me if I act stupid (in a way which affects her or the kids).
Old 11-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
I don't have one as I am not married, but I feel like if one or both people have assets they are bringing into the marriage, the prenup acts much like a will. It simply predetermines where assets go in the event of an unforeseen occurrence.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:37 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
It's called trust.
+1.

People who sign prenups are basically asking for divorce, IMHO.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:53 AM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Since I'm the only one with a pre-nup in this thread, I will respond.

It is possible that a marriage will end in divorce, regardless of how the couple feels at the time of engagement, upon marriage, or at their 20th anniversary. Because of that possibility, it makes sense to take precautions to minimize any rancor and damage.
The fact that I wear protective gear for certain activities does not mean I expect to get hurt or doubt my own abilities-- it is to guard against possible, albeit unlikely consequences from the activity for which I wear the gear.

Discussion of separate property should not introduce any element of doubt or mistrust-- a discussion should eliminate or reduce doubts about the one's life partner. A prenup permits the couple to discuss and evaluate their premarital financial situation and expectations for the future, which is a good thing that creates trust rather than diminishes trust.

I will never have to deal with the pre-nup, because my wife has promised that she will kill me quickly rather than divorce me if I act stupid (in a way which affects her or the kids).

Best response...
Old 11-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Wow I don't even remember starting this thread 3 years ago!

It's funny how the top 2 responses are:
Never married - definitely want prenup
Married - no prenup

Old 11-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Nope.
Did you bring it up to her and actually discuss it? Or was it more a solo decision?

I really would like to get an idea of how someone's spouse responds when you ask them to sign one.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Team Owner

Old 11-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by surfer rick
^Motherf-in werd! People change, hairstyles change, interest rates fluctuate. Tell me you're the same person you were 10 years ago, 5 years ago, or even 1 year ago. I mean, a divorce rate >50%. I don't mean to sound like warren and i'm not a gambler but those odds ain't too good.
The 50% figure is an urban legend/myth.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:34 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,081 Likes on 2,698 Posts
Did you bring it up to her and actually discuss it? Or was it more a solo decision?

I really would like to get an idea of how someone's spouse responds when you ask them to sign one.
We both had several discussions with each other over time. We also asked our parents as well as asking a couple lawyers we knew.

It was never an argument or sore subject. It was just one of those things where we didnt know what was the right thing to do for us.