Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Places to go "as friends"?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Places to go "as friends"?

So my friend has been into this girl for a while and he grew the balls to talk to her. So.. they're going to go out "as friends". He asked me where they should go "hang out" and I couldnt think of anything.

I mean, besides getting something to eat I couldnt think of any good places to go afterwards. I was hoping some of you guys could give me some good suggestions.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:26 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you mean places to go as friends to stay friends or places to go as friends and come back as f-buddies?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Instructor

uh.. the latter..

but suggestions for the first would be nice for future references
Old 06-09-2008, 06:39 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to the zoo and watch the animals do what animals do. Works for both scenarios.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 PM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 06-09-2008, 07:23 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
By offering a place, others, as well as myself, would be contributing to a gross cause - the friendship ladder!

Not on my watch! He must use his own shovel!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:59 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
If he's interested in her, going as "friends" isn't going to convey the personality characteristics that are attractive to women.

In other words, he's starting on the wrong foot.

Starting as "friends" is a situation that's pretty much doomed to fail in the vast majority of all "dating" scenarios. First of all, it's dishonest. If your friend can accept that maturely, fine. Coffee dates, where you talk about your lives and "get to know" each other while taking frequent pee-breaks work. But that does nothing to get her panties moist. Neither does some extravagant dinner. Especially when she's bloated and insecure about how she looks after eating a 5 course meal.

The BEST first date has been, and always will be, drinks on a weeknight. Weeknight (M-W) dates break the monotony of an otherwise boring night. She's likely to say yes, because chances are other guys are inviting her out Th-S, not Tuesday night. And because drinks serve to get the vibe right a little quicker, you can figure out if she's worth dating in the future, or if she's even digging you.

But if your friend is under 21, like you, that's a problem. You can do things that are outdoorsy, like hiking, especially in the heat, and your friend can see this girl with less clothes on (assuming it's warm outside). Plus working up a sweat releases endorphins and makes you feel good. Good feelings > Bad feelings.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Race Director

strip club
Old 06-10-2008, 02:33 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by amisconception
The BEST first date has been, and always will be, drinks on a weeknight. Weeknight (M-W) dates break the monotony of an otherwise boring night. She's likely to say yes, because chances are other guys are inviting her out Th-S, not Tuesday night. And because drinks serve to get the vibe right a little quicker, you can figure out if she's worth dating in the future, or if she's even digging you.
That's my dawg right there! Talk to 'em playboy!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:49 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Speaking as a man who has tried to go out with a girl "as friends" and escalate it into something more, allow me to confidently say it isn't going to happen, son.

Have your boy find another fish and while he's at it, read The Game by Neil Strauss. It will change his life.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Any place that serves ALCOHOL. It does wonders for friendships and "friendships."
Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
Comedy club? They have drinks and you can find out what her "fun factor" is. If your friend has a good personality and can keep the mood going after the show, who knows?

Maybe his stand-up act won't be the only gag that night.

boooo...
Old 06-10-2008, 01:44 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mokos23
strip club
Beat me to it!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hangout on his bed....and let the "friends with benefits" program take its course...
Old 06-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a friend who went on a date "as friends" and when he found out that meant no action for him got up and walked out. Just saying, don't expect much.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
invite her over to watch a movie... no action means no money wasted.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:34 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Anachostic
Comedy club? They have drinks and you can find out what her "fun factor" is. If your friend has a good personality and can keep the mood going after the show, who knows?

Maybe his stand-up act won't be the only gag that night.

boooo...
Nope! Where I live at, it cost to see the act, but they hit your pockets super hard with the finger food and drinks!

Nooo...drinks and conversation. Little something to eat, and find out what the fuck is going on! Besides, who in the hell goes all out on a "friend" type date with a rookie friend?

Heat check: I'm getting hard and rubbing up against her as I slide by to go to the bathroom. If she don't get a fucked up look on her face, smiles or she's there when I get back...I'm shifting to a sexier conversation than probably even the other one I started before I got up!

Shit, it's "hard" being a friend, tell her that shit if she asks why you did that...
Old 06-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03bl AC k CL
invite her over to watch a movie... no action means no money wasted.
I actually suggested this one.

The thing is we're under 21 so we really can't get alchohol in public places..

So... since the scenario set is just friends, how would we change that? How can he actually see if she's interested in more than that.. besides for darksom1's "friend" bump
Old 06-10-2008, 08:01 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by scribo
I actually suggested this one.

The thing is we're under 21 so we really can't get alchohol in public places..

So... since the scenario set is just friends, how would we change that? How can he actually see if she's interested in more than that.. besides for darksom1's "friend" bump
Scribo, the alcohol would've just loosened her up. But honestly, conversation, or rather the flow of conversation is one of, if not the best, heat checks. I can't tell a guy how to charm into the proper setting. But if he is gregarious and has a good sense of humor, she will get loose, and then he can shift to that level. But don't wait too long to start that kind of conversation...you never know how long you have on the date. But the right conversation will let you know what's up. So get the conversation loose as quick as you can. If you get the, "Sorry, I don't feel comfortable talking with you like that"...walk the fuck out! She's "Freda the Friend" for sure!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Instructor

So in the end I guess it really boils down to him and how much balls he grew hehe. Thank you everyone who's commented and helped out on the cause so far.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:19 PM
ur as welcome as cancer

Wink

Originally Posted by amisconception
If he's interested in her, going as "friends" isn't going to convey the personality characteristics that are attractive to women.

In other words, he's starting on the wrong foot.

Starting as "friends" is a situation that's pretty much doomed to fail in the vast majority of all "dating" scenarios. First of all, it's dishonest. If your friend can accept that maturely, fine. Coffee dates, where you talk about your lives and "get to know" each other while taking frequent pee-breaks work. But that does nothing to get her panties moist. Neither does some extravagant dinner. Especially when she's bloated and insecure about how she looks after eating a 5 course meal.

But if your friend is under 21, like you, that's a problem. You can do things that are outdoorsy, like hiking, especially in the heat, and your friend can see this girl with less clothes on (assuming it's warm outside). Plus working up a sweat releases endorphins and makes you feel good. Good feelings > Bad feelings.
Sorry, but even as friends, girls like to make sure they have on ample makeup until they are ready and prepared for you to see them sweaty and with little to no makeup on. An outdoor date is a really, really bad idea. If you're under 21, go to a movie, go bowling, putt-putt, play pool - definitely go play pool she'd love that, do go to the zoo, if you have a dog, ask her if she wants to go to the park to take your dog on a walk - your friends' dog, whatever (that's outdoors but not stressful enough to mess up her makeup), go ride go carts - that's kick ass, go to a car show - seriously, then she'll think he's super smart if he can talk car talk to her - but this could backfire if she doesn't care at all about cars, go shopping (get a sense of her style and what she likes for you/your friend, so you'll know what to wear on a second date), girls like to smell cologne (take her to a perfume counter and come back a day or 2 later and buy a little of what she liked for guy scent, and wear it on the next date) - can you seriously not figure this out on your own?

If your friend is over 21, go play pool, go to a bar that has booths and isn't too loud or to a restaurant for drinks, watch a movie at home - don't sit next to her, she's a friend, sit on the other couch, take her to build-a-bear and make something with her - girls like to make things, but i suppose you don't have to be over or under 21 for this, ask her to run errands with you - girls like to feel needed and helpful - go to the grocery store and buy something healthy for once so she'll think you are slightly concerned with your wellbeing rather than only buying chips and beer.

All guys should know that, if you're only friends or dating, whatever, girls like to make things and to run errands (with you, NOT for you).

you're welcome

Last edited by arstraub; 06-10-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by arstraub
Sorry, but even as friends, girls like to make sure they have on ample makeup until they are ready and prepared for you to see them sweaty and with little to no makeup on. An outdoor date is a really, really bad idea. If you're under 21, go to a movie, go bowling, putt-putt, play pool - definitely go play pool she'd love that, do go to the zoo, if you have a dog, ask her if she wants to go to the park to take your dog on a walk - your friends' dog, whatever (that's outdoors but not stressful enough to mess up her makeup), go ride go carts - that's kick ass, go to a car show - seriously, then she'll think he's super smart if he can talk car talk to her - but this could backfire if she doesn't care at all about cars, go shopping (get a sense of her style and what she likes for you/your friend, so you'll know what to wear on a second date), girls like to smell cologne (take her to a perfume counter and come back a day or 2 later and buy a little of what she liked for guy scent, and wear it on the next date) - can you seriously not figure this out on your own?

If your friend is over 21, go play pool, go to a bar that has booths and isn't too loud or to a restaurant for drinks, watch a movie at home - don't sit next to her, she's a friend, sit on the other couch, take her to build-a-bear and make something with her - girls like to make things, but i suppose you don't have to be over or under 21 for this, ask her to run errands with you - girls like to feel needed and helpful - go to the grocery store and buy something healthy for once so she'll think you are slightly concerned with your wellbeing rather than only buying chips and beer.

All guys should know that, if you're only friends or dating, whatever, girls like to make things and to run errands (with you, NOT for you).

you're welcome
I have to respectfully disagree. I'd MUCH prefer to be taken on a hike than to "build-a-bear." Dear god....
Old 06-10-2008, 11:24 PM
ur as welcome as cancer

Originally Posted by 2000TaffetaTL
I had a friend who went on a date "as friends" and when he found out that meant no action for him got up and walked out. Just saying, don't expect much.
YOU'RE 17! You boys are such idiots, the respectable girls will let you know when they're ready to have sex with you, and it won't be on the first date! I swear you're all man-whores!
Old 06-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Earth-bound misfit

YOU'RE 17! You boys are such idiots, the respectable girls will let you know when they're ready to have sex with you, and it won't be on the first date! I swear you're all man-whores!
Now that I can agree with!
Old 06-10-2008, 11:26 PM
ur as welcome as cancer

Originally Posted by wndrlst
I have to respectfully disagree. I'd MUCH prefer to be taken on a hike than to "build-a-bear." Dear god....
If he's just getting to know her, she's still going to be self-conscious about her looks, so an inside activity is smarter, that's all I'm saying, unless she's an "outdoors girl".

And you're a boy, of course you'd rather go hiking!
Old 06-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Earth-bound misfit

If he's just getting to know her, she's still going to be self-conscious about her looks, so an inside activity is smarter, that's all I'm saying, unless she's an "outdoors girl".

I'm a chicky. I work outside sans makeup, so I guess I'm just not particularly self conscious about that sort of thing. I'd rather have a guy see and get to know the real me right off the bat than be frightened the first time he sees me without paint.

I guess my point is to consider her personality.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:52 PM
ur as welcome as cancer

IM SO SORRY; I figure out you were a girl like 2mins ago babe! My bad!

But I agree with that point, I didn't let my bf see me with no makeup on until we had dated at least a year haha - some girls are just more self conscious about that than others.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Earth-bound misfit

IM SO SORRY; I figure out you were a girl like 2mins ago babe! My bad!

But I agree with that point, I didn't let my bf see me with no makeup on until we had dated at least a year haha - some girls are just more self conscious about that than others.
No worries!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Instructor

thanks for the advice ladies^^^ =]
Old 06-11-2008, 01:50 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Classic!

Old 06-11-2008, 04:37 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thought the OP was a girl too lol

but if he's interested there is no point in going places to be friends... youre friend will be in the friend zone... and that's a huge nono... tellh im to grow some balls and do it right at the getgo
Old 06-11-2008, 04:45 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by wndrlst

I'm a chicky.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Old 06-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
thought the OP was a girl too lol

but if he's interested there is no point in going places to be friends... youre friend will be in the friend zone... and that's a huge nono... tellh im to grow some balls and do it right at the getgo
wtf!?!?
Old 06-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Let's Go Pens

Miniture golf is a decent way to start off the evening and after the competitiveness your bound to be hungry so take her out to dinner. Friends of "friends" you're both bound to have a good time
Old 06-11-2008, 12:58 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
swings
Old 06-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Let's Go Pens

so when is this "date" going to be. Keep us posted and have you narrowed atleast a few possible destinations? I have to again agree with another suggestion of "arstraub" She mentioned pool and this is an excellent idea. It allows for some fun competition but also she might ask you to teach her and this will allow the two of you to get close and will help determine if there is any chemistry or sparks flying.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Back in a TL again.

bowling
Old 06-11-2008, 08:58 PM
werd

you're welcome
Such terrible advice in here. Please, stay out of D&R.

OP: Tell your friend not to waste his time. He needs to Man up. This advice that I just quoted is a big waste of time.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 PM
werd

Who made you the moral police?

But not only that, there are holes in your logic. What if the respectable girl lets you know they're ready to have sex with you after a couple hours? Before a first date?

No, no. That would make her trash.

P.S., this is what makes it harder for some girls. Girls who can't think for themselves believe this crap other girls spew and make it unnecessarily hard on themselves when they have a great thing in front of them.

Last edited by amisconception; 06-11-2008 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Places to go "as friends"?