Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Issues with the marriage...

Old 07-05-2006, 07:34 AM
...I like stories...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up That's great bro!

Originally Posted by Pickles
Personally, but she is a marriage therapist.

And you'd be surprised how helpful just talking it out can be
Pickles! My man! That's awesome, sometimes taking things "out of the box" is very helpful. Just like you said, when I leave my therapist's office I'm usually good to go. Sometimes you have to purge to someone who knows what makes people tick; and WILL NOT JUDGE YOU. They might say things you aren't ready to hear but it's for your benefit because they're impartial.

Best wishes,

G
Old 07-05-2006, 08:05 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by SakiGT
Youre talking yourself into this...

Stop thinking. Go see a counselor before you do anything rash.

Old 07-05-2006, 08:45 AM
ric
Safety Car

Well, it seems the ship is sinking quickly. Every day I feel more like it's less her fault and more that I just want out. I have no clue why, she really has been great as of late......

feck
Um, the fact that she's "been great of late" may simply point out the core issues, core problems and rotten foundation for the marriage. not surprising at all, frankly.

Use a counselor to mediate, communicate and establish a platform for dialogue, whether it becomes a pathway back to a halfway decent marriage or whether it leads to severence. In any case, the two of you need some ground rules in place if you do break up to deal with the kid, whose needs should be a paramount concern. Good luck
Old 07-05-2006, 08:53 AM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TypeSAddict
Personally or a marriage therapist?

If it's solo, how do you like it? I'm considering looking into something like that....I've pretty much convinced myself that I have a variety of anxiety disorders. I just don't know if I could deal with spilling my guts to a stranger, and honestly doubt how effective that approach would even be.
Well, if you're dealing with anxiety issues, the thought of going to a therapist is undoubtedly anxiety provoking. There are dozens of kinds of therapy out there, including behavioral modification, which simply deals with "how to handle (anxiety feelings)", or traditional talk therapy, which attempts to find root causes. Frankly, I'd personally suggest starting with a clinical psychologist who has an announced experience with anxiety disorders and start there. BUT I'd start with three of them, and interview them.

I'd suggest interviewing three therapists. Make a list, buy an hour of their time, walk in with your presenting issues defined, and a list of questions - which can include what their rates are, how long their session is, what their education is, what their experience is, what their speciality is, what their approach is, etc. At the end of three interviews, you will have a feel for whether the "chemestry is right" with one of them. If none of the three ring your chimes, keep on truck'n with a second list.

A sleazy therapist will resent the interview. A competent professional will respect you for the level of self-care that you are exhibiting. A competent therapist may recognize that he/she is not "right for you" and know a colleauge who would be.

You're a bright guy, and I am sure that you can turn this into somethign equivalent to a term paper project in a heartbeat.

As for spilling your guts, if the chemestry is right, you will begin to warm up to the concept of sharing in depth after about three to six sessions.

(I note that I have not been silent about the fact that I am a surivvor of significant childhood sexual abuse, as is my wife; we both have benefited from skilled clinicians, as well as a skilled marriage therapist. Once you get used to the concept of therapy, there is something incredibly freeing about talking about your shit with someone whose own shit is not important to you..............and frankly, my life would be radically different without the skilled intervention of a brilliant trauma therapist, a woman who works exclusively with folks with my kind of shit in my history.)
Old 07-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Meat stick

Received 229 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
I didn't read every post in this thread, I skimmed through most of it, but there is one thing that I noticed was not mentioned. I'm sure this happens often, some women may express it, and some may not.

My wife gets the way you said your wife is when she doesn't get any attention from me. I've been very involved in my business, so my wife doesn't see me during the week a whole lot. When we are together, she wants to be with me as much as she can before the week starts over because she knows that i won't be around to give her attention.

She's coping with my busy-ness, because I'm doing it for both of us. She tries to help when she can, and that's that. My only complaint to you is that you're hanging around with other people when your wife should be with you too! Having intense conversations with someone else, you should be having the conversations with your wife instead!

Try giving her more attention and see if that makes a difference. You'll never find someone perfect, I'm sure you would find many things in other people that would attract you more to them than your wife, but you love her for who she is and what she has (and had) to offer. It might not have sounded right written, but unless you have non-stop fights and arguments, you don't seem to be in such a bad position. Good Luck!

That's the thing...I HAD been giving her as much attention as possible over the last few months (as stated before in the thread, she is actually working more than I am) ---> I tried even giving her more of my time while she was at work; showing up for impromptu lunches on her breaks, that sort of thing. Didn't go anywhere, unfortunetely.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by GBockers
Pickles! My man! That's awesome, sometimes taking things "out of the box" is very helpful. Just like you said, when I leave my therapist's office I'm usually good to go. Sometimes you have to purge to someone who knows what makes people tick; and WILL NOT JUDGE YOU. They might say things you aren't ready to hear but it's for your benefit because they're impartial.

Best wishes,

G

Everytime I talk to my therapist I feel better, BUT I feel more confident in making a decision to leave her.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by ric
Um, the fact that she's "been great of late" may simply point out the core issues, core problems and rotten foundation for the marriage. not surprising at all, frankly.

Use a counselor to mediate, communicate and establish a platform for dialogue, whether it becomes a pathway back to a halfway decent marriage or whether it leads to severence. In any case, the two of you need some ground rules in place if you do break up to deal with the kid, whose needs should be a paramount concern. Good luck

We've already talked about the child. We both agree that she is most important should we break up, and that she would not try and keep her from me (after all, I have no legal rights to her).

The more we talk, and I talk with my counselor, the more I think that the marriage was for the wrong reasons, and is just now falling apart from those underlying problems (at least falling apart for me).
Old 07-05-2006, 10:05 AM
ric
Safety Car

We've already talked about the child. We both agree that she is most important should we break up, and that she would not try and keep her from me (after all, I have no legal rights to her).

The more we talk, and I talk with my counselor, the more I think that the marriage was for the wrong reasons, and is just now falling apart from those underlying problems (at least falling apart for me).
Good luck, man. take it slow, make sure of every step you take, do it clean, cover your back, and be patient, not so much with her, but with yourself. Locate the best lawyer you can afford, and don't be afraid to use them. And, you might still consder a counselor to negotiate the issues with her daughter as well as to ease the pain for both of you as you call an end to this thing.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Sorry to hear.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by ric
Good luck, man. take it slow, make sure of every step you take, do it clean, cover your back, and be patient, not so much with her, but with yourself. Locate the best lawyer you can afford, and don't be afraid to use them. And, you might still consder a counselor to negotiate the issues with her daughter as well as to ease the pain for both of you as you call an end to this thing.
Luckily, i guess, there aren't really any issues for an attorney for either of us. We don't own anything worth any value (except for a few cars, but there is no equity in those), neither of us are working at the moment (students), and we have a bunch of debt. The only thing worth raising an issue over is the debt, but we've talked in the past and she was amenable to just taking whatever bills are in our own names and leaving it at that (now, that may change if I decide to walk, but I doubt it....)

As far as my daughter, she won't take her from me for any reason, just b/c it would destroy the child (as well as me). What will likely happen is that I'll do "daddy" stuff and then also take her two weekends a month or something to that effect.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by SakiGT
Sorry to hear.
I know it's weird, but I'm not. IT's like things are finally clearing up in my head....
Old 07-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So where do things stand with woman #2? Still talking to her?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by Always Dirty
So where do things stand with woman #2? Still talking to her?
Well, she's a LS peer, so I'm always talking with her, but things haven't gone any further, if that's what you mean. We just talk cordially about anythin, and then it's on our own ways.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

Do you have expectations of things going anywhere once you end the marriage?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Meat stick

Do you have expectations of things going anywhere once you end the marriage?
Nah. I don't expect to do much with women IF I end the marriage. I'm gonna need some time to get my bearings as a single man (I've been with her since I was 17....I've never lived alone, been without a SO after leaving from home, etc).

It's gonna be weird.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Good lord Jared. I just got caught up on the goings on (been out of town for awhile b/c of the holiday). I'm sorry things are so tumultuous right now but at least you are doing the right things and taking this process slowly. I just hope in the end everything ends up how you want it and all parties are comfortable/happy with their situations.

Keep us posted man and stay strong
Old 07-05-2006, 12:58 PM
XOXOXOXOX

This is BS. You are married act like it. You might as well have fucked the girl. Your wife will be just as hurt by what you have already done. I know you’re young but how stupid are you to stay out all night and not expect your wife to be a bitch to you. And maybe you should leave cuz your stepdaughter does not need to have a role model that cannot stay faithful to his wife (her mom BTW). Do you actually feel your doing them some favor by staying or are you just too afraid to leave. I can’t believe your catch'n pity on AZ. Kinda funny to me sounds like she has all the reason in the world to be jealous. And what about this home wrecker, what kind of person leads a married man on. Oh, she’s a winner.

Look I know you’re just ranting but I’m older and have better insurance listen to me. THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER. There must be a reason you married her, start trying to remember whatever it was and grow from there. Everyone deals with shit from there wf/gf during some point. Stress, money and sex are usually the culprit. Good luck you'll need it....
Old 07-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by TLuscious
This is BS. You are married act like it. You might as well have fucked the girl. Your wife will be just as hurt by what you have already done. I know you’re young but how stupid are you to stay out all night and not expect your wife to be a bitch to you. And maybe you should leave cuz your stepdaughter does not need to have a role model that cannot stay faithful to his wife (her mom BTW). Do you actually feel your doing them some favor by staying or are you just too afraid to leave. I can’t believe your catch'n pity on AZ. Kinda funny to me sounds like she has all the reason in the world to be jealous. And what about this home wrecker, what kind of person leads a married man on. Oh, she’s a winner.

Look I know you’re just ranting but I’m older and have better insurance listen to me. THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER. There must be a reason you married her, start trying to remember whatever it was and grow from there. Everyone deals with shit from there wf/gf during some point. Stress, money and sex are usually the culprit. Good luck you'll need it....
Wow. Someone is a little bitter, eh?

Look, I didn't come on here to find pity. I'm a big boy and can deal with shit, but I thought it might be good to come here and see if anyone else had been through similar situations.

And as for your accusations, I stayed out all night b/c we (like 10 of us) went out to a bar, and got too trashed to drive home. Wife knew this a solid WEEK before I did it, and she was ok with it. It's not the first time I have done that (boozed and slept over at my buddies place).

And please believe I'm not doing this to be with woman #2. She is great, but I think when this started I was looking for a reason to blame my wife for my feelings, and #2 allowed me a good canvas to contrast against. That's no longer the case. After thinking/talking about it, I think that the whole thing has been going downhill for some time, and I'm simply not happy anymore.

Thanks for your input, though
Old 07-05-2006, 01:16 PM
XOXOXOXOX

If you have been married for 6yrs you know it’s a constant work in progress. She must be unhappy too (why? Cuz you’re out drinking with girls??). Try to spark the romance. I know it sucks to make the first move but its worth saving your marriage. You were happy once, you can be happy again. Ok I'll let it go... sorry if I sounded mean.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:21 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Didn't you give you boyfirends best friend head and then marry him because he had a big e-penis?
Old 07-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by TLuscious
If you have been married for 6yrs you know it’s a constant work in progress. She must be unhappy too (why? Cuz you’re out drinking with girls??). Try to spark the romance. I know it sucks to make the first move but its worth saving your marriage. You were happy once, you can be happy again. Ok I'll let it go... sorry if I sounded mean.

Are you married? Have you never gone out drinking with people when there were other MEN present without your hubby?

You make it sound like she owns me. I'm an individual, and will stay that way whether married or single. We are a couple (hence TWO DISTINCT PERSONS)
Old 07-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
YOU put the gun to your head and pulled the trigger the day you asked her "will you marry me"
Old 07-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Meat stick

Originally Posted by CLean B
YOU put the gun to your head and pulled the trigger the day you asked her "will you marry me"

says the 22 year old
Old 07-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Team Owner

You make it sound like she owns me. I'm an individual, and will stay that way whether married or single. We are a couple (hence TWO DISTINCT PERSONS)
Two people dating are a couple. You're supposed to be a married couple.

...and your comments on ownership and individuality would be good to share with your shrink.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Meat stick

Two people dating are a couple. You're supposed to be a married couple.

...and your comments on ownership and individuality would be good to share with your shrink.
A married couple is still a couple....please don't think that I don't take marriage seriously, but you still need your things......some people make it out that after marriage you have to be a "WE" 100% of the time....we did that for awhile, and we had problems then too (only then we were both unhappy)
Old 07-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Meat stick

and the shrink has already heard this stuff
Old 07-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Meat stick