Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Has the mod bug infected anyone else's relationship?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:12 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^lol. she knows.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 AM
[Mod Censored Title]

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
At first my girlfriend loved how I did stuff to my car. She would buy stuff for it and supported everything I did. Now she's sick of it and wish I didn't blow all of my money on it.

BUT she realizes that doing stuff to my car makes me happy, just like her blowing money on stupid ugly UGG boots and purses with hideous Cs all over it makes her happy. At the end of the day we want each other happy and we support each other as much as we can even if we don't agree with their decision.
mine was opposed to it from day one, but she often forgets one main fact - IT'S MY MONEY AND I WILL DO AS I DAMN WELL PLEASE WITH IT

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
Real good advice in here, follow it.
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
wow i feel like i just read my own post, thanks for writing it for me tyler. only thing i would have added is that my gf works for the bank...where i have my checking account...and that's why i use paypal for purchases.

anyways, OP...a lot of good advice here in this thread. good luck with everything.
agreed fellas...there has def been some good advice posted so i'll take it all in and see how things go.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Originally Posted by john_wrap
mine was opposed to it from day one, but she often forgets one main fact - IT'S MY MONEY AND I WILL DO AS I DAMN WELL PLEASE WITH IT
My ex never could get that. Like others said, just wait till you get married, then it will be "OUR" money
Old 09-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Yes, but keep in mind this isn't about how you spend your money. The car and the money are a red herring. What she really wants to know is that she is a priority to you.

Whatever you do, don't get sucked into a "your car is more important than me" or "you spend too much money on your car" conversation. If you do, my last bit of advice is this. Start with "What's really bothering you". Listen a long time and don't speak. If you let her vent long enough (uninterrupted), you'll get to the real issue. End with, "I understand what you are saying". Don't add anything after that. Don't discuss how to fix it. Don't argue or make a counter point.

Whatever work needs to be done between you two after that, do it later. Seek to understand her position first. Go think about it. Then address stuff later if needed.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
Here's the problem - how you feel about the situation doesn't matter. If she's feeling neglected, that's it. You can't argue with it.

I'd submit to you this is not a quantity of time issue. It's how you are using the time you already spend with her.

My wife does not love me modding a car. She thinks it is wasteful. I kinda agree. As for working on the cars, she thinks that it takes a lot of time. Again, I kinda agree.

When I have to do something with the car I just tell her first and make sure she didn't have something else planned. I have found that this avoids issues.

I have come to realize that there is no upside to having an unhappy or neglected wife. This is why there are a lot of divorced guys on my soccer team.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,858 Likes on 2,579 Posts
Yes, but keep in mind this isn't about how you spend your money. The car and the money are a red herring. What she really wants to know is that she is a priority to you.

Whatever you do, don't get sucked into a "your car is more important than me" or "you spend too much money on your car" conversation. If you do, my last bit of advice is this. Start with "What's really bothering you". Listen a long time and don't speak. If you let her vent long enough (uninterrupted), you'll get to the real issue. End with, "I understand what you are saying". Don't add anything after that. Don't discuss how to fix it. Don't argue or make a counter point.

Whatever work needs to be done between you two after that, do it later. Seek to understand her position first. Go think about it. Then address stuff later if needed.
These never end well.

Also I get that it will eventually be our money but till it is really but out. I mean she can shop and not save her money but apparently us guys are supposed to save our money so in the end it can just be more her money and not really our money.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:04 PM

Not that this helps at this point but everyone I have been with I have made sure it was known ahead of time I work on my car, I like to work on my car, and I like to mod my car. If you have issues with that then we minus well not even start. It is one my hobbies and I am willing to not put as much time into it as before but I damn well not willing to give it up.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Team Owner

First off 1Louder - You give awesome advice.

OP - The thing is you need to figure out how to not let it get to the point where you are having this discussion. I think you both need to talk about this more.
The following users liked this post:
1Louder (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
These never end well.

Also I get that it will eventually be our money but till it is really but out. I mean she can shop and not save her money but apparently us guys are supposed to save our money so in the end it can just be more her money and not really our money.
Your money will be OUR money, and her money will be her money...
Old 09-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Team Owner

By the way, I see you're 29. How old is she and how long have you been dating?

If you've been together for a year or more and she is the same age as you even though it is YOUR money she is looking at the fact that down the road it may be OUR money. That's human nature.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
"What you're is mine and what's mine is also mine."
Old 09-14-2011, 01:14 PM
[Mod Censored Title]

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

You're good...you a therapist or something?...

Thanks again for your input.

These never end well.

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs

OP - The thing is you need to figure out how to not let it get to the point where you are having this discussion. I think you both need to talk about this more.
Yes all types of good advice flying around.

Nailed it...
Old 09-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Team Owner

Also I get that it will eventually be our money but till it is really but out.
I think this works with women until they are at the point when they start seeing a long term future with a guy. I think somewhere down the road a switch flips and it becomes....well if he is spending all that on a car then what will he spend on me.

AND I DON'T MEAN JUST MONEY....MONEY AND TIME. And if your gf is spending $1000 on clothes and shoes every month I am sure at some point you start to think that eventually you will be funding that shopping spree.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 PM

Thank you!!

You're good...you a therapist or something?...

Thanks again for your input.
Thanks! No, I've just been married a long time (21 years last month), and I've learned from a lot of mistakes.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:28 PM

And thus us guys loose is still my point
Old 09-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Team Owner

That's up for debate.

Here is what I think. When I was in my 20's I was selfish. I thought more about myself than girls I dated. I spent money on cars, electronics, clothes, partying and women. I had the same attitude that it is my money and I will do what I felt like. It killed a relationship or 2 but I was not ready to be unselfish. I DON'T REGRET ANY OF THIS.

Now, I'm married. Have a kid. I think about them first and me....a distant second. Just the natural way that life progresses.

Ask your self this....If you are driving down a street and a truck pulls in front of you and you crash into it what will your thoughts be of? I really hope you're not thinking about the coilovers and j-pipe you just installed. IMO, people you care about trumps car any day.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Team Owner

Thank you!!

Thanks! No, I've just been married a long time (21 years last month), and I've learned from a lot of mistakes.
You're welcome. Personally I think you should be one of the mods for the posts you make here.
The following 3 users liked this post by RaviNJCLs:
1Louder (09-15-2011), Aman (09-25-2011), wndrlst (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
My wife buys furniture and ridiculous decorations. I buy guns, games and books. She has no recourse on cars since I'm restoring an original Mini and throwing a B18C motor in it.

No recourse I say!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:55 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
nobody got my MOD joke.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
My wife buys furniture and ridiculous decorations. I buy guns, games and books. She has no recourse on cars since I'm restoring an original Mini and throwing a B18C motor in it.

No recourse I say!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by 1killercls
nobody got my MOD joke.
We don't like feeding the bears here.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts

Two finger snaps..

aXezD.jpg
The following users liked this post:
1killercls (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 11:21 AM

Here's how we do it - same for when we both worked and now (I'm the only income). It took a while to get to this, but it eliminates the my money/your money issue.

Combine the incomes - prioritize things that are needed just to run a home. These get paid first
- Commitments get paid first (mortgage, food, home expenses, car loans, etc.)
- Saving (retirement, etc.)
- Money is set aside to cover standard expenses (we call this the "home's" money) - medical co-pays, dry cleaning, eating out, car maintenance, home maintenance, etc.)

We each get an equal "allowance" - money we can spend with no accountability to the other person

For the rest of the disposable income (which isn't much by now), we prioritize and mutually agree to how it gets spent.

We do that every month, and of course I track expenses to those categories. So no making $500 purchases unless a) you had the allowance to do it or b) was mutually agreed to.

It's a bit of book keeping, but it works. We don't resent each other over money, and it keeps things fair.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:16 PM

That's up for debate.

Here is what I think. When I was in my 20's I was selfish. I thought more about myself than girls I dated. I spent money on cars, electronics, clothes, partying and women. I had the same attitude that it is my money and I will do what I felt like. It killed a relationship or 2 but I was not ready to be unselfish. I DON'T REGRET ANY OF THIS.

Now, I'm married. Have a kid. I think about them first and me....a distant second. Just the natural way that life progresses.

Ask your self this....If you are driving down a street and a truck pulls in front of you and you crash into it what will your thoughts be of? I really hope you're not thinking about the coilovers and j-pipe you just installed. IMO, people you care about trumps car any day.

I see what you are saying for sure and I have noticed a bit of that change for sure. Before I would just spend every penny on the car and now I have a monthly amount I make sure I save first before I spend anything.

My gf doesn't see this cause she doesn't see my bank account nor do I believe she needs to. She gives me a if you say so response when I tell her things like this as if she doesn't believe me based on how I lived my life during high school and college before working full time.

Regarding the car crash that question needs more info first. Was I alone or are other people in the car with me? If there are others then I am concerned about them first and foremost. If I am alone I am pissed about what happened to the car and pissed at the other person for not paying attention.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Team Owner

Regarding the car crash that question needs more info first. Was I alone or are other people in the car with me? If there are others then I am concerned about them first and foremost. If I am alone I am pissed about what happened to the car and pissed at the other person for not paying attention.
OK....you're alone. No one in the other vehicle will be hurt. You make it but didn't know that at the time.

My first thought is my wife and kid. Cars can be replaced.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Team Owner

Here's how we do it - same for when we both worked and now (I'm the only income). It took a while to get to this, but it eliminates the my money/your money issue.

Combine the incomes - prioritize things that are needed just to run a home. These get paid first
- Commitments get paid first (mortgage, food, home expenses, car loans, etc.)
- Saving (retirement, etc.)
- Money is set aside to cover standard expenses (we call this the "home's" money) - medical co-pays, dry cleaning, eating out, car maintenance, home maintenance, etc.)

We each get an equal "allowance" - money we can spend with no accountability to the other person

For the rest of the disposable income (which isn't much by now), we prioritize and mutually agree to how it gets spent.

We do that every month, and of course I track expenses to those categories. So no making $500 purchases unless a) you had the allowance to do it or b) was mutually agreed to.

It's a bit of book keeping, but it works. We don't resent each other over money, and it keeps things fair.
Same here. I make about 5-6 times what my wife makes in a given year but we share an account. I handle all the bills so I see the daily flow of money out of our accounts.

We have a $200 spending limit on non-essential items. Over that we let the other person know. In 6 years this has never once created a problem for us.

When I bought my TL it took about 10 minutes of conversation and my wife told me that I know what I need to spend money on and it was my decision. She has not once mentioned that I could have gotten something less expensive.

Communication works guys.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
wow i feel like i just read my own post, thanks for writing it for me tyler. only thing i would have added is that my gf works for the bank...where i have my checking account...and that's why i use paypal for purchases.

anyways, OP...a lot of good advice here in this thread. good luck with everything.
Haha, weird. My wife works for Susquehanna Bank corporate which is where we have our accounts. It does have a plus side right? Any ATM nationwide and no surcharge, free stop payments, etc.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:55 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
You don't need to get her too involved.... some girls may be open to helping out though. Not exactly a suggestion, but she might not mind spending time with you by putting on a pair of gloves and handing you tools and just keeping you company.
if she is willing...this might be something you can include her in...if she's more of a nail and hair girl...then...

seriously, do you work on her car by chance? when my brother works on my car i always help...it is my car and i might as well learn a little something. and we get to talk about whatever and hang out (which is not often).

At first my girlfriend loved how I did stuff to my car. She would buy stuff for it and supported everything I did. Now she's sick of it and wish I didn't blow all of my money on it.

BUT she realizes that doing stuff to my car makes me happy, just like her blowing money on stupid ugly UGG boots and purses with hideous Cs all over it makes her happy. At the end of the day we want each other happy and we support each other as much as we can even if we don't agree with their decision.
its a matter of respecting/accepting each other's "hobbies" or interests and realizing that its important to them. my other half...he knows that my car (now cars) are important to me. he doesn't give me grief over it, if i spend money on the car he just looks at me like...oh boy...but he knows if that's what makes me happy then...ok. we share in the triathlon bug, racing and traveling. we don't always train together (swims...we may be at the pool together at the same time, but we do different workouts b/c of differing abilities, bike...usually, though he's usually trying to keep up with me, and the runs...different paces so we don't run together except for track workouts). so while we share in one common interest, we still respect and accept each other's other hobbies (his other hobby...football sundays...i leave him be but i'll hang out and watch, but no talking ).

My wife does not love me modding a car. She thinks it is wasteful. I kinda agree. As for working on the cars, she thinks that it takes a lot of time. Again, I kinda agree.

When I have to do something with the car I just tell her first and make sure she didn't have something else planned. I have found that this avoids issues.

I have come to realize that there is no upside to having an unhappy or neglected wife. This is why there are a lot of divorced guys on my soccer team.
^^communication is huge.

a lot of what others have said is quite relevant (not the vespa post necessarily ), but really...it comes down to the girl. age can have something to do about it, attitude, interests, etc. and its true, a lot of girls just want somebody to vent to and listen to whatever...and its that "couple" time (doesn't have to be a date, it could be over a dinner at home or just laying in bed/couch on a lazy morning).

it's easy to get comfy in a relationship and easy to be selfish. my guy and i have been through a lot and we continue to learn and accept/respect each other's quirks and flaws (if you may). we compliment each other quite well. so, things to think about are what you want out of the relationship, she sounds a little needy....but a little face time will go a long way.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts
My wife would love this conversation.

As long as it has been with moderation I have not had any issues. I have learned to give her quality time, and not being distracted while being with her. This goes a long way.

She rather me spend money on my car than get another bike, so we both compromised on something.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
wait I can choose what I do with my money? Shit. If I did i would be single

Luckily I'm young enough to not have to share/support anyone just yet. Even though I pay rent, and gas, and gifts, etc.

fuck she's smart
Old 10-06-2011, 06:38 PM

^ Sounds like she'll be buying you drinks soon too...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
Werrrddddddddd
Old 10-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,628 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I thought I had a bug in my samich..It was just peeper though.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Go Pack!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i support tyler and his decisions to do what he pleases with his car.

but there comes a point when its time to settle down and start putting money towards something more than a car. spending too much time on acurazine and spending too much money on your car can def affect your relationship. be sure that you tell her how much you appreciate her and how much you support the decisions she makes.

this is NOT an attack at my boyfriend so don't go there.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:24 PM

HEY WOMAN! GET OFF OF ACURAZINE AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Old 10-17-2011, 10:03 AM

I am glad my women is not on Acurazine
Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 AM

It doesn't bother me. At least she's involved with what I do
Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ms. CLtotheTL32
i support tyler and his decisions to do what he pleases with his car.

but there comes a point when its time to settle down and start putting money towards something more than a car. spending too much time on acurazine and spending too much money on your car can def affect your relationship. be sure that you tell her how much you appreciate her and how much you support the decisions she makes.

this is NOT an attack at my boyfriend so don't go there.

Man....this must make dinner fun at your house Tyler. Better you than me.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Team Owner

It doesn't bother me. At least she's involved with what I do
You guys are young so if you're going to waste money on a car then do it now. When you're older and you have kids, loans, home(s) etc then shit needs to change.

In my house if it's over $200 we discuss it before purchasing. So....not too many mods will slip by without her knowing. When I was not married I did what I wanted.

Quick Reply: Has the mod bug infected anyone else's relationship?