Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Do you find it painful to watch other people ask somebody out?

Old 08-09-2007, 08:00 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Do you find it painful to watch other people ask somebody out?

What I mean is, when you see somebody asking somebody else out, or trying to get a phone number, and they do it so terribly it makes you cringe...

Happened tonight, me and the girl went to dinner and while waiting for a table a group of fairly good looking girls walks in behind us, after 5 minutes some guy walks up from inside the restaurant and attempts to get a number. Not only does he walk away empty handed, but his delivery was absolute dog shit... "Hey, uh, I noticed your not with a guy, uh, what do you, uhhhhhhh, say we go out, uh, tomorrow night? "

Now I know, he was probably nervous and just barely got the courage to ask her, but damn we both thought it was painful to witness. After he left I asked what she thought of that, she said "I feel bad for the guy, I'm probably the only girl he's ever asked out"... I thought that was funny, and actually could have been true

Anybody else have experiences like that?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
what would you do or how would you approach.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah that's awkward. But I don't think I could do any better. I'd probably just stare and keep my mouth shut.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:44 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey at least he asked

I give props to any guy with guts to ask a girl out. I know for a lot of guys including myself this can be a very scary situation cause there is nothing like getting deny'd by a hottie

It makes me very thankful for the relationship I have with my girl and I hope to never have to go through the initial dating crap again
Old 08-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
She was with 4 of her girlfriends so it must have been intimidating as hell for him.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:35 AM
The hair says it all

That may be the single thing I am worst at, the first 5 minutes with a girl are the hardest for me, I can totally relate. I'm just not that good at cold meeting people without some sort of common ground introduced over.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Python, the way to get over that is to be interested, not interesting.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:05 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by THTL

I would have bought all the ladies some shots to begin with.....then introduce yourself to the one your interested in. If she doesn't like the guy...well you have her backups.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:20 AM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by KCPreki11
Python, the way to get over that is to be interested, not interesting.
ill have to give that some thought
Old 08-10-2007, 11:45 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
its funny not painful. i was out to dinner with the woman and the table next to us was 4 guys. they were hitting on the waitress and trying to get her to meet up with them afterwards but she basically gave them every excuse in the book
Old 08-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

I have a couple friends that are hard to watch when they try to get numbers because they dont have much confidence and dont really know how to do it so the stumble alot. Sometimes its funny to watch if the guys trying to ask the girl out are total tools, but when its a friend I feel kind of bad for them. I usually end up getting the number for them
Old 08-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's funny, but sad at the same time. Most of the time, the guys are either clueless, trying too hard, or just pursuing the wrong girl. I've always been the guy that hangs out with girls more than guys, talks to girls, and have no problem reading what type of vibe the girl is putting out.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Money is funny.

Originally Posted by THTL
i would politely make fun of her FIRST...and depending on that rxn (ie if she smiles and tries to defend herself) you nkow where to go. If she doesn't smile, but ignores you, then make a politely insulting comment and smile and walk away. NBD. If she does smile and defend herself...you are GOOD!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
lol...funny stuff. I can't remember ONCE asking a girl "out"...I've always met girls through other friends, classes (studying together is that ish), or church. Never cold approach. Never seemed as easy as it should be, and ESPECIALLY not when a girl is with other girls.

NEVER approach a group of females and try to single out one to talk to. ~ MAN LAW!
Old 08-10-2007, 01:17 PM
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

I think there's a time and place for getting "digits" from a gal and typically, lacking the appropriate level of confidence at the moment of truth is a dealbreaker.

Being a NYC'er, I've seen my fair share of glory and tragedies. I think persistence is the most important variable ... if you're not afraid to being shot down and maintain a strong ego, you'll succeed eventually. And that's the thing ... those dudes who have "game" are usually the ones that fail the most. But if the guy goes 1 for 10 on any given day, that's still ONE more score than most dudes. They get rejected and immediately move on to the next victim ... errr ... female.

So these guys get plenty of practice (makes perfect) and since they operate on sheer volume, success is inevitable. I have a couple buddies who use this "system" and they will without shame, ask gals out on the street, in stores, in the subway ... pretty much everywhere. It's because most single gals out there WANT to be asked out (it's flattering) and made to feel attractive. Remember, most gals are attention whores ... but they don't want to be hounded or subject to embarrassment/ridicule.

So another key is not to make a huge public spectacle out of it. My buddies understand the importance of timing, discretion, and environment. For example, a gal scarfing down spaghetti with her friends in a crowded restaurant is low probability ... she may be judged by her friends or the other people around her, so it's easier for her to say "no." And if the delivery or introduction is weak, the level of awkwardness shoots up.

Sure, it takes courage and balls to walk up to a stranger and initiate a conversation. But, even if the intention is admirable, if the execution is deplorable, what's the point? You can take the last-second shot from beyond the 3-point line but if your prior track record is 0 for 20 with 10 airballs, that's just stupid. Preparation is key.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
I always thought it was really funny. But I also know it was probably the same for someone watching me try to ask someone out.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:36 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PillsburyChoboy
I think there's a time and place for getting "digits" from a gal and typically, lacking the appropriate level of confidence at the moment of truth is a dealbreaker.

Being a NYC'er, I've seen my fair share of glory and tragedies. I think persistence is the most important variable ... if you're not afraid to being shot down and maintain a strong ego, you'll succeed eventually. And that's the thing ... those dudes who have "game" are usually the ones that fail the most. But if the guy goes 1 for 10 on any given day, that's still ONE more score than most dudes. They get rejected and immediately move on to the next victim ... errr ... female.

So these guys get plenty of practice (makes perfect) and since they operate on sheer volume, success is inevitable. I have a couple buddies who use this "system" and they will without shame, ask gals out on the street, in stores, in the subway ... pretty much everywhere. It's because most single gals out there WANT to be asked out (it's flattering) and made to feel attractive. Remember, most gals are attention whores ... but they don't want to be hounded or subject to embarrassment/ridicule.

So another key is not to make a huge public spectacle out of it. My buddies understand the importance of timing, discretion, and environment. For example, a gal scarfing down spaghetti with her friends in a crowded restaurant is low probability ... she may be judged by her friends or the other people around her, so it's easier for her to say "no." And if the delivery or introduction is weak, the level of awkwardness shoots up.

Sure, it takes courage and balls to walk up to a stranger and initiate a conversation. But, even if the intention is admirable, if the execution is deplorable, what's the point? You can take the last-second shot from beyond the 3-point line but if your prior track record is 0 for 20 with 10 airballs, that's just stupid. Preparation is key.
to everything you said.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:04 PM
That was uncalled for...

Originally Posted by Black Tire
I would have bought all the ladies some shots to begin with.....then introduce yourself to the one your interested in. If she doesn't like the guy...well you have her backups.
Exactly...

Buy the entire group a round of drinks, make them know your interested, see the reaction you get (flattered or uninterested), after that make an introduction, not a statement like "I see your single, want to go out"...

It's hard to explain, but you get the idea...
Old 08-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Keeping emos out of

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always thought that it was funny seeing dudes going down in flames until it happened to me and my boys
Old 08-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

hells ya bro to what you wrote. as my boys like to say "it's always about the denominator!" 1 for 10 is a hell of a lot better than 0 for 0. confidence is king. ladies are like sharks, they smell out weakness and insecurity like bad cologne. my friend likes to use the term "jfl" as in "just f-cked look." guys with "jfl" are more relaxed, confident, and cool b/c they're getting some, ergo not desperate. you walk into the club with the "jfl" look on your face and girls will be attracted to youlike white on rice. amen as well to not hitting on girls in a group. that's the problem with vegas, chickies always rolling around in bachelorette groups. impossible to separate one from the herd. two guys and two girls prolly works best, especially if you or your boy is a good wingman. only problem is when one of the two girls is hit but hey, that's why we call it "taking one for the team."
Old 08-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Though it was 6th grade, this was so terrible it needs to go in the record books. My friend drew a mediocre sketch of this girl he liked and wrote above it "this is [Name], I love her" and handed it to her in class. Last I heard she fucked the gay hippy who works at the video rental store.

Mike
Old 08-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Well stated.

I think guys want to take some advice from "Hitch" (typical date movie) but not all that advice spewed in that movie. Females like confidence, not cockiness (in general). If you can handle yourself, that's what women like. But you have to give yourself that "one chance". If there are a bunch of cock-blockers around, then your chances are low. You have to time it so that probability is in your favor. Finding that one chance is what it's all about.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Dr. Phil? is that you?

haha just playin...well said
Old 08-11-2007, 06:40 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
man im the worst at asking girls out.. but sometimes ill get lucky and say something thatll start a good conversation with the girl. Its ashame though, here in miami you can pick up chicks just by going " damn girl, yous got a fat a$$" or " what up girl let me get in dem pants of yours"
and ive seen this happen before which is why it was quoted
Old 08-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm listening...
Old 08-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Kang Ho

yea...it's very painful. A man should never try to take on the whole army himself. I'll be monitoring this thread for some good advice. Need to get back into the game.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:46 AM
I make Boom Boom in

well at least the guys had the balls to do it even though he may not have the approach. I'm told I have that look.

A friend says his trick is to get eye contact with the girl. After three eye locks then you know it's on like Donkey Kong!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by S A CHO
Exactly...

Buy the entire group a round of drinks, make them know your interested, see the reaction you get (flattered or uninterested), after that make an introduction, not a statement like "I see your single, want to go out"...

It's hard to explain, but you get the idea...
Buy a whole round of drinks! I don't think so...atleast he left with a little shame, if he bought drinks he would have left with alot less! I think if that was the best line he could come up with than he was done before it started.....Actually he did right by trying, the more girls you talk to the better your chances...If you never talk to a girl you never even had a chance, unless they come up to you! For every 6 girls you talk to you atleast get one, if this doesn't work you need to do a couple things.

A. relook at your approach
B. lower your standards, every guy can't get a skinny hottie at first!

I personally have only bought drinks for girls that are my friends or I have their number in my pocket already. Why should you buy a drink for a total stranger that may have a boyfriend already, shit they all could have boyfriends.... Save your money, I think guys are born to take some turn downs...
Old 08-13-2007, 02:02 AM
Banned

have any of you guys watch the show The Pick Up Artist on Vh1?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Though it was 6th grade, this was so terrible it needs to go in the record books. My friend drew a mediocre sketch of this girl he liked and wrote above it "this is [Name], I love her" and handed it to her in class. Last I heard she fucked the gay hippy who works at the video rental store.

Mike

Saying "I love you" to some random hot girls actually gets alot of giggles and laughs! It does the job for breaking the ice, especially if you follow with a comment seperating you from a "stalker" Twist it up and say Te amo! To a hispanic girl...it really depends on how you say it...
Old 08-13-2007, 05:30 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Its actually pretty funny. How would I know this? I know from first hand experience. We'll get to that later...

I'm usually more of a vulture. Not that I wait for all the hot chicks to get picked up on then I get the leftovers, but I wait until I see a girl all by herself, then I make my move. If she's with a friend and I've got a wingman, I'll be less willing but I'll still do it. Now if she's with a whole group of friends, guys and/or girls, I'm a little hesitant then. Cockblockers are everywhere.... even jealous guys who didn't manage to hit it and end up as "just a friend" are blockers too.

I once tried to approach some chick looking at something while I was at work. I went over to her and what I was about to say was - "Hey, how are you doing today?" but her boyfriend all of a sudden came from around the next aisle and I stumbled pretty bad. I ended up saying something like "hi, how you, I me- are you guys d-, nevermind" and she was like "Is that even English?"

Good advice in this thread though. +1 on the eye contact thing. If she sees me looking at her or if I see her looking at me 3 times then its on for sure. Everyone needs to have less shame.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CedNBHTL
have any of you guys watch the show The Pick Up Artist on Vh1?
caught the first one, those guys are pimps.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by stic2it
I personally have only bought drinks for girls that are my friends or I have their number in my pocket already. Why should you buy a drink for a total stranger that may have a boyfriend already, shit they all could have boyfriends.... Save your money, I think guys are born to take some turn downs...
i send my hot friend to the bar to get drinks bought for her and bring them back to me.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Racer

Yeah timing plays a big role!

One state of mind you can put yourself in is to imagine the girl has a nasy yeast infection.

May sounds funny but it can actually work. Of course don't get used to this thinking but it sure will lower your excitement/ interest level which should diminish any nervoursness/ anxieties.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:05 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I always use the line "I wanna fuck you like an animal"
Old 08-15-2007, 08:41 PM
That was uncalled for...

Originally Posted by leedogg
Still a virgin, eh?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
I think I may have met you...
Old 08-15-2007, 10:44 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by wndrlst
I think I may have met you...
Old 08-16-2007, 06:50 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
:shakehead

but I laughed...
Old 08-17-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Like someone else said, timing is the key. If you time it wrong, the girl may turn you down because she is embarrassed even though she really wants to hang out.

Running up to a table of girls and asking one out without even introducing yourself is like landing on the beach alone on D-Day

Quick Reply: Do you find it painful to watch other people ask somebody out?