Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Breaking up while living together

Old 11-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Breaking up while living together

Ok, I float around D&R quite a bit and hope I can get some real advice. I've lived with my girl for like 3 years. We until reccently had a very good relationship, lately living together has become rather difficult, she nags all the time, we argue all the time, and at times hate each other. I know that happens with anyone you live with (I've had at least a dozen roommates) but it's tougher when a relationship is involved. Last night she stays out 4 hours past when she told me she was having "1 drink" comes home, wakes me up after I waited up for her for almost 4 hours before going to sleep, and tells me she wants to move out and back to her parents house after talking to her best friend who is a complete bitch to everyone and thinks she's better than everyone. My take on it, is that she wants to go back to living with mommy and daddy because she is sick of paying rent and is trying to cheap out on me. She's complained time and time again that she hates paying so much rent (I rented a house around the corner from her work so she could walk to work because she didn't have money to fix her car which hasn't left my driveway in a year plus) And she loves our house, but all of the sudden wants to move out and of course she took it back after she said it saying that she just wanted to "get my attention" but i dunno what to do. I love her to death, I'm just so tired of fighting. The thing that really pisses me off is she's trying to back out of a lease that we signed, and stick me with all the responsibility, and I can't pay all the rent myself or I'll be a broke mofo. And I dunno if it's more a game because she took it back after I threw the lease and rent issue in her face. What do people think, opinions?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:28 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Treat her like a normal roomate in this situation....Don't get screwed.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:58 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Treat her like a normal roomate in this situation....Don't get screwed.
That was my initial response when I was half asleep at 2:30 in the AM. I told her she can move her ass into the spare bedroom and be a room mate nothing else, but she's not getting out of a lease that she signed.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Whiskers, feelings can complicate things, but in the end you need to look out for yourself. Don't risk putting yourself in a rough financial situation just b/c she went through some emotional turmoil.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I recently went through a similar situation. I moved out...
Old 11-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Heh, funny I went through the same thing before the summer this year. Fortunately I am financially stable and did not need her to make ends meet. However, I asked her to leave because in all honesty, at our age (being you're nearly same age as I am) you need some personal space. My girlfriend was very attached and we both worked but she felt anytime I was home I had to give her my undivided attention. Seeing too much of eachother can be irritating especially after having a bad day to come to home to someone pestering you. Your home should be a retreat to get away from all the bullshit.

Having her move into another room would in my opinion not resolve much because your peace will still be interupted so don't kid yourself.

In your shoes I would demand 2 months rent and if she paid a deposit make her forfeit her end and post up on roomster.com or some similar sites. At least you'll have 2 months to find a roommate which should be an adequate timeframe.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:17 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
it ain't going to work
Old 11-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Stewie's Sexy Party!

i agree with jblue.....
Old 11-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by johnniewalker
i agree with jblue.....
I don't financially need her per say, I make more in a week than she makes in a month, I could swing the rent and bills, but that would be my life for the next 9 months. No more car modding, or anything else that I enjoy. I dunno, we "talked" about it last night, fought it out if you will and I guess we're ok for now, but come closer to the end of the lease, I think she'll be getting the boot for good. My friends have told me to loose her for the last year or so, due to her drinking problem, poor money management, and general comfort for letting me handle everything in life. Like I mentioned her car hasn't even left my driveway for the last 13-14 months, and won't be fixed unless i dump money into it which I haven't, but it's an aweful bold move to say she was moving back to her parents which is a few miles from her job, when I leased the place around the corner from her main job so she could walk there cuz I knew her car wasn't long for the world. Especially since I'm her private choffeur(sp?) and have 2 vehicles but, she's not allowed to drive either. She definitely is comftorable making very little money, and enjoying the fact that I make a lot more, which is very annoying as well.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:15 AM
fear and Loathing

Watch the Movie the Breakup
Old 11-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
I don't think it will work if she stays there. How much more do you have on your lease? My best suggestion is to have her move out since she wants too anyways and get a different room-mate to move in for the remainder of the lease. Try to make is a female roommate and if she's hot, it will piss off the girlfriend even more.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I don't think it will work if she stays there. How much more do you have on your lease? My best suggestion is to have her move out since she wants too anyways and get a different room-mate to move in for the remainder of the lease. Try to make is a female roommate and if she's hot, it will piss off the girlfriend even more.
I swore off roommates when I moved in with her, but our lease just renewed in september till next september so say 9 months

Looking at buying a house next summer, already have the house that i want picked out (my buddy's mom's house) just can't come soon enough. I think when it gets closer to that time, she'll get the boot in the ass. This situation just sucks, after all this, she took it back cuz she realized she relies on me too heavily, but my boys are right, she's a freakin leech
Old 11-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Banned

She's fucking someone else.

Boot her ass to the curb.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
I swore off roommates when I moved in with her, but our lease just renewed in september till next september so say 9 months
Swearing off roommates is good. But here's the way you should look at it. If you try to do this on your own, you will make it harder to but that place you want next year. Sometimes you have to do things that you don't want to just to achieve a goal.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Kick her to the curb and have one of your boys move in...

You don't need that shit bro.. You are not married to her. And if it's this bad now. It's not gonna get any better.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:33 PM
In need of an AV.........

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You have two cars, but she has to walk to work?

If true, you don't love her, kick her out
Old 11-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by JWhite1301
You have two cars, but she has to walk to work?

If true, you don't love her, kick her out
She walks a block to work, right around the corner. My car is garaged for winter, I bought a dd. She has a car, if she fixed it, she could drive to work.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Judging by all the things you dislike about her, i doubt you love her. If you did love her, you would accept all those faults and deal with it. But i can understand having trouble breaking the routine, esp if you care about her (which you can do without loving her). But you need to care about yourself too and say if she wants to be a lazy trophy wife, she can be someone else's lazy trophy wife.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris move one before she drags you down further. I moved out when I was in that situation. I moved to another room and then said screw and moved out completely.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Mike97 3.0P
Judging by all the things you dislike about her, i doubt you love her. If you did love her, you would accept all those faults and deal with it. But i can understand having trouble breaking the routine, esp if you care about her (which you can do without loving her). But you need to care about yourself too and say if she wants to be a lazy trophy wife, she can be someone else's lazy trophy wife.
I do love her, you're assuming that I don't from what? The fact that I don't shell out money to fix her car that she cares nothing about? She works 2 jobs, she's older than I am, she is a big girl and can fix her own car if she cares about it. I cheuffer her around which i am not complaining about, though it gets tedious at times. I'm confused because out of the blue she said she wanted to move out and back with her parents, and I think it's a money issue. My concerns are more for me in that situation because I get screwed. I do love the girl, but I'm just fed up with pety arguing and her throwing somethin like that in my face doesn't make it easy to just forgive is all. I just feel like a sugar daddy, I do tons to support this girl even though she works 2 jobs and is "independant" I buy all the groceries, pay all the bills upfront and then get back what i can from her for "half" which is never half, pay rent upfront (same deal try to get it back later) I just am not appreciated, I take her out, I pay for things, I buy all her food and what not, but then she tells me out of the blue she wants to move out on me because we argue and she doesn't think we're "in love" anymore. Money is not the issue and buying her things doesn't mean love to me, it's just an example. My main concern is she threatened to walk out on a lease and stick me with all the responsibility. I moved in with this girl because I love her and wanted to spend the rest of my life with her, and 3 years later she tells me she wants to move out, then takes it back. I do love her, i'm just hurt and confused. Not to mention, living with anyone of the opposite sex, you have to learn to accept lots of bad and annoying things about each other, that's not the issue at hand.

Last edited by 97BlackAckCL; 11-16-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I broke up with my ex wife and we still lived together for a couple of months while we sold our house and looked for new places to live. We actually got along better than while we were married! We treated each other as friends and with respect- meaning no other people involved.

We even had sex a few times figuring "fuck it, we're still legally married for six months".
Old 11-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
I do love her, you're assuming that I don't from what? The fact that I don't shell out money to fix her car that she cares nothing about? She works 2 jobs, she's older than I am, she is a big girl and can fix her own car if she cares about it. I cheuffer her around which i am not complaining about, though it gets tedious at times. I'm confused because out of the blue she said she wanted to move out and back with her parents, and I think it's a money issue. My concerns are more for me in that situation because I get screwed. I do love the girl, but I'm just fed up with pety arguing and her throwing somethin like that in my face doesn't make it easy to just forgive is all. I just feel like a sugar daddy, I do tons to support this girl even though she works 2 jobs and is "independant" I buy all the groceries, pay all the bills upfront and then get back what i can from her for "half" which is never half, pay rent upfront (same deal try to get it back later) I just am not appreciated, I take her out, I pay for things, I buy all her food and what not, but then she tells me out of the blue she wants to move out on me because we argue and she doesn't think we're "in love" anymore. Money is not the issue and buying her things doesn't mean love to me, it's just an example. My main concern is she threatened to walk out on a lease and stick me with all the responsibility. I moved in with this girl because I love her and wanted to spend the rest of my life with her, and 3 years later she tells me she wants to move out, then takes it back. I do love her, i'm just hurt and confused. Not to mention, living with anyone of the opposite sex, you have to learn to accept lots of bad and annoying things about each other, that's not the issue at hand.
Play her game man... When she says that she wants to move out. Go get her bags for her. It does not mean that you want her to leave. But she is telling you this to see how you feel about her. It sounds like she is just doing it for the attention.

If you don't buy her things to show her how you feel about her, how are you showing her your feelings? I think she is telling you this to see how you feel about her because maybe she thinks that that is the only way she is gonna get the answer she is looking for?
Old 11-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
Play her game man... When she says that she wants to move out. Go get her bags for her. It does not mean that you want her to leave. But she is telling you this to see how you feel about her. It sounds like she is just doing it for the attention.

If you don't buy her things to show her how you feel about her, how are you showing her your feelings? I think she is telling you this to see how you feel about her because maybe she thinks that that is the only way she is gonna get the answer she is looking for?
That's exactly it, she's playin games. She wants to see how i feel about her. She kept me up till 3 am after I told her i had to be up extra early for work, and I kept calling her on the games she was playing and how she was just trying to get attention and throwing pity parties to see if I cared or not. When I told her I needed to go to sleep that meant I didn't care about her, etc. But it was just a game, I told her I wasn't in the mood to play mind games, everything she said was a test. I'm just so fed up, I didn't get any sleep last night, had to be into work early as hell for the last day of my stressful week, I'm just burnt out, and she has sapped the last of my energy.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Erz
^^GIRL

So, You say you love her but apparently she feels you don't or that you two just aren't "in love" anymore. Did you ask her what she feels is lacking? You may not agree with her but it might give you some insight into her head if you just sit down and ask her what she feels is missing or wrong. You obviously care about her and it seems you do a whole lot for her. And it seems like shes into mind games, which isn't helpful, but try to sift through them. The real answer is there somewhere. You don't need to deal with childish games but try and get to the bottom of why she wanted to move out and why she said the 'love" thing.

And if it all goes to hell in the end (which hopefully it doesnt) do not let yourself be screwed in a lease by her. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:44 PM
East Coast Boost.!

get one of your boys to move in, have her shit packed. Then DP her and kick her out naked covered in gooze.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Would she have paid to fix her car if she were not paying so much in rent? I only ask because if she was opposed to signing a lease at the place you are currently in because of money but she went along with it because it was what you wanted, then maybe you can't blame her for not fixing her car. OR maybe she is a mooch and you need to ditch her.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by RLToni
Would she have paid to fix her car if she were not paying so much in rent? I only ask because if she was opposed to signing a lease at the place you are currently in because of money but she went along with it because it was what you wanted, then maybe you can't blame her for not fixing her car. OR maybe she is a mooch and you need to ditch her.
Rent's a bit much for her, but she manages it. She has not wanted to make the effort to fix her car until I told her she has to fix it for winter cuz I'm sick of cheuffering her around all the time, and she's been saying she'd fix it since april when her tax return came in. She is happy not "having" a car and being driven around, she got used to not paying insurance or gas. So no it's not really a money issue, she just likes being a mooch as far as the car goes
Old 12-11-2006, 02:57 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pull_T
She's fucking someone else.

Boot her ass to the curb.

Definately sounds like she's got something on the side.

Run, quick.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa

Definately sounds like she's got something on the side.

Run, quick.
honestly, when they play the "do you care about me I'm going to leave" gig they have banged someone else and are trying to pass off the blame! Whores.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Banned

That poor acura driving her ass everywhere..

I say boot her ass to the curb..
Old 12-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
This sounds very filmilar, what you have to do is try to weight out your option, could it be that she was drunk and her friend instilled it in her to say that to you? Could it be possible that she has someone on the side? Is she a good person to you all the time? Does she do the things shes supposed to (pay half rent, pay for groceries one in a while etc,? Think aobut this all. If you decide that the reationship has gone sour and that h=she is tryiing to stick it to you, then you stick it to her, you leave with all ur stuuf, find an apptment you can afford with the nessary items. If you decide that she was wong due to human error (being drunk and not being all together, then try to work things out, see what is wrong and try to do things the kind, loving way. I can see that you have been very compassionate to your situation, but i can't stress enought to weight out everything. Go home, make a list of everything and just think about it, is it worth it? talk to your bestfriend and see what he has to say. Lastly, don't take this entire matter ot heart as people can change very much in a short period of time.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 AM
friend of fast

i lived with my gf for 1.5 years and were a couple for 2 years before moving in. things went south in a hurry though. i feel you bro on the coming home 4 hours late drunk thing. she used to come home at 4 a.m. drunk and pick fights. i moved out and left her with paying the apartment on her own. she later couldn't afford it and had to move in with friends and then parents. my point is...a relationship like that is not worth fighting for, she has no respect for you because she has no respect for herself. there are plenty girls who will stay at home at night and try to make your house a home and not a burden. in any case, tell her to move out and sublease the house or get a roommate. good luck.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
boot her.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Banned

We need DR. PHILL
Old 12-14-2006, 12:05 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
any update on the situation? sometimes you dont relize how your relationship is untill you live with someone. Thats when you find out who the really are. do you guys spend most of your free time together. if so that my be a problem. you need to live your own life (ie your own friends, do things without each other) as well as your life with your s/o. at this point i dont see it working out but thats juts me and i really dont know jack shit so w/e. i hope it works out for you brother. good luck
Old 12-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok, I float around D&R quite a bit and hope I can get some real advice. I've lived with my girl for like 3 years. We until reccently had a very good relationship, lately living together has become rather difficult, she nags all the time, we argue all the time, and at times hate each other. I know that happens with anyone you live with (I've had at least a dozen roommates) but it's tougher when a relationship is involved. Last night she stays out 4 hours past when she told me she was having "1 drink" comes home, wakes me up after I waited up for her for almost 4 hours before going to sleep, and tells me she wants to move out and back to her parents house after talking to her best friend who is a complete bitch to everyone and thinks she's better than everyone. My take on it, is that she wants to go back to living with mommy and daddy because she is sick of paying rent and is trying to cheap out on me. She's complained time and time again that she hates paying so much rent (I rented a house around the corner from her work so she could walk to work because she didn't have money to fix her car which hasn't left my driveway in a year plus) And she loves our house, but all of the sudden wants to move out and of course she took it back after she said it saying that she just wanted to "get my attention" but i dunno what to do. I love her to death, I'm just so tired of fighting. The thing that really pisses me off is she's trying to back out of a lease that we signed, and stick me with all the responsibility, and I can't pay all the rent myself or I'll be a broke mofo. And I dunno if it's more a game because she took it back after I threw the lease and rent issue in her face. What do people think, opinions?
Rent's a bit much for her, but she manages it. She has not wanted to make the effort to fix her car until I told her she has to fix it for winter cuz I'm sick of cheuffering her around all the time, and she's been saying she'd fix it since april when her tax return came in. She is happy not "having" a car and being driven around, she got used to not paying insurance or gas. So no it's not really a money issue, she just likes being a mooch as far as the car goes
97BlackAckCL,
Sorry for the late response. Your friend sounds very irresponsible and very dependent. You should treat this problem like any normal roommate situation, make sure she signs the lease form if she ever decides to leave. I understand you love this girl but do you really want to be with someone who is really that irresponsible? Love can make you do crazy things, but while you're young, you should really think this thru. I hope everything works out
Old 12-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by evilone
any update on the situation? sometimes you dont relize how your relationship is untill you live with someone. Thats when you find out who the really are. do you guys spend most of your free time together. if so that my be a problem. you need to live your own life (ie your own friends, do things without each other) as well as your life with your s/o. at this point i dont see it working out but thats juts me and i really dont know jack shit so w/e. i hope it works out for you brother. good luck
That's def part of my problem, with her not having a car, I can't go over to a buddy's house most nights, or I have to be home early cuz I have to pick her up 3-4 nights a week from work so I sit around like a taxi driver waiting to pick up the fair. We spend our spare time together, most of my spare time is spent sitting at home by myself, since I have to be ready when i get a phone call to rush to pick her up from work
Old 12-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by ACIRE
97BlackAckCL,
Sorry for the late response. Your friend sounds very irresponsible and very dependent. You should treat this problem like any normal roommate situation, make sure she signs the lease form if she ever decides to leave. I understand you love this girl but do you really want to be with someone who is really that irresponsible? Love can make you do crazy things, but while you're young, you should really think this thru. I hope everything works out
She's signed on the lease, that's the major problem, if it was just me on the lease she would have been booted and I would be going to rent another place or buying a house (which I plan to do this summer when my lease is ending) But since we signed the lease together I'm stuck with her being liable for half the rent. She's back to pretending we're a happy couple, but me not so much. I dunno I love her to death, but living with her has just kind of ruined the relationship for me i think. I'm just pissed all this happened like a month or 2 after my lease renewed for another year.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:43 PM
sup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why don't you try quietly asking any of your friends if they want to move in? why don't you tell her to fucking just fix her own damn car? tell her to save up, becuase you won't be driving her around anymore