Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…
View Poll Results: What would you do?
Break it off now - don't get more attached
22.22%
Keep it going until she leaves
22.22%
Keep it going, do a Long Distance Relationship
40.74%
Throttle down to "Friend" status and let it be
14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Break it up, or do LDR?

Old 06-03-2005 | 05:01 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Question Break it up, or do LDR?

Here's an interesting situation I'm in... I met this girl over two months ago and right from the first date we both knew we had something between us. We moved pretty fast and were thinking of ourselves as bf/gf in under a month. Everything's been going great, and I think we both feel pretty strong about each other.
Here's the problem: We both went into this knowing she was moving away to NYC in August for her grad studies. Despite this, we still kept going out and ended up falling for each other. We had both told each other how we've made each other's Spring so much more fun, and we were looking forward to a great summer together.
Now she's talking about breaking it off with me now, rather than keep going and break it off before she leaves in August. I told her I didn't think a LDR would work out - we'll be too busy and frankly I don't think they're a good idea. So she's being all drama about how I'm not willing to give it a shot, so it's not worth going.
What would you all do? BTW- I hate to say this, but her blood gushing week starts in a couple of days so I dunno if her emotional state has anything to do with it.
Old 06-03-2005 | 06:36 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Its not easy to find someone you really connect with, I'd say at the very least give it a shot- what do you have to lose?

I am also curious why, if you both knew she was leaving, did you end up falling for each other- it seems either coincidental or convenient.

From my experience LDR are a huge PITA and not worth the trouble, but then again these relationships were based on the wrong things. If I had a girl who I loved and loved me back, we'd find a way to make it work- you can't find true love just any day, so if you have it or even think you have it, its worth the shot.

BTW never trust a creature that bleeds for a week and doesn't die
Old 06-03-2005 | 06:51 AM
Team Owner

A LDR can work especially when both parties are driven and kept busy. My gf and I have been in a LDR relationship for nearly 3 years and one of the things that makes it easier for both of us is that we're always pretty busy, but we make an effort to have time for each other.

And if you really like this girl and she's returning your affection and you two have a lot of chemistry together, why not give it a shot? If it really isn't going to work, then you can still break it off later.

Besides, the drive to NYC is only about 4 hours away. The two of you could still see each other every weekend...
Old 06-03-2005 | 06:53 AM
Not THAT guy

LDR's are more work than normal. They require more trust and communication. I had one when I was in service and the girl was at VT. We lasted 5 years. 1 prior and 4 while she was in college. They can work, I've seen it happen. It's just a lot of work. Figure out if you want to put in that kind of work.
Old 06-03-2005 | 07:44 AM
ric
Safety Car

My wife and I maintained a LDR for about four years while I was chasing my career around the country and she was divorcing the idiot first husband. We made it work. It was not pretty at times. We did manage to carve out a way to see each other not less than several times a year. Her firm also had an 800 number that I could call in on, and we would use that on the weekends for long conversations.
Old 06-03-2005 | 09:26 AM
Team Owner

If things are good between you two, give it a shot. NYC to DC is not that bad. A couple hours by car, or less on the train. It is a lot easier to be in a LDR now than a couple years ago.
Old 06-03-2005 | 09:26 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tireguy
Great quote.
Old 06-03-2005 | 10:23 AM
50? you must be kidding!

at least try! Being that in touch with the girl deserves some effort on your part! (and hers)
Old 06-03-2005 | 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tireguy
So are you a homosexual then? Perhaps you should join the rest of the fags in the Rambling. You'll find them easily.

, only about you being gay, not the rest.
Old 06-03-2005 | 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
So are you a homosexual then? Perhaps you should join the rest of the fags in the Rambling. You'll find them easily.

Old 06-03-2005 | 11:54 AM
Team Owner

Guess the first time being wasn't enough...
Old 06-03-2005 | 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Guess the first time being wasn't enough...

Bleach Blonde + New Jersey + Obnoxious/self centered waste of skin =
Old 06-03-2005 | 01:39 PM
Not THAT guy

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

Old 06-03-2005 | 02:37 PM
Senior Moderator

I thought she was pretty funny
Old 06-03-2005 | 03:09 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

Bleach Blonde + New Jersey + Obnoxious/self centered waste of skin =
This is assuming, of course, that the avatar is a picture of the poster. While I have no proof, my bet is that the poster is actually the asian male "she" claims is "her" boyfriend.

I present Exhibit A:

As you advise others in the other threads. Why not forget about him? On and off for 7-8 years obviously didn't get you nowhere. What makes you think it will in the next 7-8 years. There are plent of fishes in the sea, if you continue on with this relationship, you're bound to have issues.
From https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...es#post4159657

While I could understand an American born person potentially using the word "fishes" incorrectly in a sentence, I don't see that same person butchering this cliche'.

*Disclaimer: this is not meant to be disrespectful to any person other than TheMainEvEnt
Old 06-03-2005 | 03:17 PM
No longer in denial

Originally Posted by moeronn
While I could understand an American born person potentially using the word "fishes" incorrectly in a sentence, I don't see that same person butchering this cliche'.

*Disclaimer: this is not meant to be disrespectful to any person other than TheMainEvEnt
Just playing the devil's advocate here, maybe grammatically incorrect fobbishness rubbed off on her? She seems to me to have a girlish way of speaking
Old 06-03-2005 | 03:35 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Bit sensitive, eh?

If you took what I said seriously and got offended you really should ask YOURSELF why?
Old 06-03-2005 | 03:38 PM
Advanced

You might as well keep it going, give the LDR a shot and if it works out great, if not, your no worse off... (You said you were already pretty serious).
Old 06-03-2005 | 03:59 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Originally Posted by PsychoInDenial
Just playing the devil's advocate here, maybe grammatically incorrect fobbishness rubbed off on her? She seems to me to have a girlish way of speaking
meh. Seems to me "she" is trying to speak in a girlish way.
Old 06-03-2005 | 04:01 PM
No longer in denial

Originally Posted by moeronn
meh. Seems to me "she" is trying to speak in a girlish way.

I haven't been on here that long to really know and read all the old postings. Baffles me why a guy would want to pretend to be a girl, but I guess nothing really surprises me these days... so did you guys really ban her?