Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Becoming more than just frined

Old 07-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
I never understood the whole "I used to like you, but I got over those feelings long ago. You should have told me sooner" thing. Seems to me if that was the case you would have noticed something, right?

I mean Iunno, maybe it's moreso something to further validate her lack of feelings towards you? But then again, if I found out a girl liked me, but kept completely silent about it, bottled up her emotions, and just got over me without even so much as a subtle hint, I think I'd have no problem getting over her as well
Old 07-28-2012, 10:26 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I think you should take advantage of the situation. You've already admitted you liked her, now turn it into playful banter. plead for a kiss or a feel, tell her she doesnt know what she's missing, pretend like she's stabbed you in the heart and you have nothing to live for now.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:14 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^agreed, Be cocky about it!!!!!
Old 07-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Old 07-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
^lmfao
Old 07-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Old 08-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
At least I'm keeping up with my thread weekly. I'm trying not to be the OP that opens a thread and never responds lol Well now for some replies:

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
If she's in Pittsburgh, give me her number, I'll have a talk with her
lol thanks, but I'll keep her number to myself for now :P

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Sorry, but she said it to ease her guilt about not responding to your offer the way you hoped. It's a polite thing to say in case you are feeling rejected. A variation of the, "it's not you it's me" theme.
Keep her as a friend if you want, but completely and totally write off ever being with her. Don't flirt, don't be suggestive, just be friends. That's the best thing for both of you. In this situation, nothing you do will change thing - you will only make it worse. Guys who passively pursue women who have made it clear they are in the friend zone just come off as needy and a bit pathetic. My wife had a couple friends like that and she wound up cutting ties with both because she couldn't stand the constant undertone of, "how about now? will you take me now?"
You'll like someone else soon enough, and she'll like you, and all will be well. But don't waste a minite of your time or energy on this on, short of what you do as friends.
Yeah, I have a feeling I'm always just going to stay friends with her and probably end up with someone else...but she'll always be that first girl I actually really liked...I'm pretty sure I'll never do the whole how about now thing. I'm not that weird/needy lol

Originally Posted by justnspace
if you havent watched it, watch it.
"Swingers" with Vince Vaughn and John Favreau
I'll check it out this weekend. I'll tell ya what I think when I see it haha

Originally Posted by Scottman111
Sorry dude, but it's happened to everyone, so don't get hung up on it. You should be proud of yourself for asking. A lot of guys would never build up the courage.
I don't know if you're a baseball fan, but when a closer blows a save, they always say you have to have a short memory or else you'll never succeed, and that applies here as well. Maybe a bad analogy, but whatever
Appreciate it. Not a baseball fan, but the analogy works (with some googling)

Originally Posted by Arosemore07
... if she didnt like what you said to her a week earlier she definitely would have ignored your phonecall, or at least kind of backed off a little. Being that she made nothing of it... To me it sounds like she likes that you have some sort of feeling towards her and your boosting her ego but she doesnt want you to get the feeling she's just as into you so she built that friend zone wall. It's like she's sending you mixed signals...
Yeah, my friends say something along the lines of what you just said. They joke sometimes by saying I'm in the "acquittance zone" b/c I never talk to her about relationships...like boyfriends, dates etc.

I think your spot-on with the notion that she may like the idea of him wanting her, she just doesn't want him back. The one-way street is good for her ego. I had more than a few women do this to me back in the day. The wisest thing the OP can do is recognize it, don't fall for it, and invest time and energy in other women. I don't know if I'd even keep her as a close friend, if I thought that was going on.
I don't feel like that's going on, and I definitely don't want to lose her as a friend. I'm a pretty weird guy in IRL (or I try to be) and she was willing to talk with me when we worked together, so I don't think it's the ego thing...could be wrong tho

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
I said it before earlier in this thread - you're already in the friend zone, behind a one way door. you have zero chance of being with her, short of you getting a few rounds of hard liquor in her.
at this point, all you're doing is stroking her ego and digging a deeper hole than what you started in. take everyone's advice, forget this chick and find a new one. life's too short to spend trying to get with someone who doesnt even remotely want to be with you.
Id advise against trying to be a friend because she knows you have the hots for her and she will always use that on you. She'll get you to do favors and stuff. you say she won't take advantage of you now, but trust me, its best you move on.
Thanks for the advice (and I like your avatar). I definitely wanna still be friends with her, but obviously I wouldn't let her use me. If that day ever comes, I'll know I couldn't be friends w/ her.

Originally Posted by EvilVirus
Op if she is doing that like everyone said dont waste your time on someone who wont invest their time into you.
People who send mix signals are: indecisive about their feelings, juggling, or playing mind games.
Yeah, my friends said something similar. Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by Catfisha
Go buy 50 Shades of Grey; even though it's from a female perspective, I think a guy would like it too.
I've seen some local news stuff on that book...isn't that like basically an erotic novel for women?

Originally Posted by akplaya92
OP step your game up next time you and her hang out.
When you are out in any public setting, if you're reeking with confidence than other girls around you will start checking you out while you're around her. Trust me, she will notice the other girls checking you out. This will make her want you more.
Wear your favorite shirt, get a hair cut, etc. Do whatever that will make you feel confident and feel good about yourself.
^This!
I'll definitely try to be more confident. But I don't think I will "reek" enuf to attract the other women around me...I'm normal looking, ask justnspace

Originally Posted by Rapture
I never understood the whole "I used to like you, but I got over those feelings long ago. You should have told me sooner" thing. Seems to me if that was the case you would have noticed something, right?

I mean Iunno, maybe it's moreso something to further validate her lack of feelings towards you? But then again, if I found out a girl liked me, but kept completely silent about it, bottled up her emotions, and just got over me without even so much as a subtle hint, I think I'd have no problem getting over her as well
I can actually tell you why I didn't notice, b/c I did think back to it. For the first year I knew her, her and I were good friends...even to me. Then I took her out to watch Inception with some friends, and I remember turning and looking t her and thinking "crap, when did that happen". So looking back at that first year, I remember her asking various questions like: "What would you do if that guy came up to me and asked me out right in front of you" And at the time, I think I said I wouldn't do anything b/c...I didn't care :/

Originally Posted by leedogg
I think you should take advantage of the situation. You've already admitted you liked her, now turn it into playful banter. plead for a kiss or a feel, tell her she doesnt know what she's missing, pretend like she's stabbed you in the heart and you have nothing to live for now.
Playful banter is not really my cup of tea, but I'll give it a whirl if the opportunity ever comes up.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,465 Likes on 3,059 Posts
Originally Posted by timecop
lol thanks, but I'll keep her number to myself for now :P

I've seen some local news stuff on that book...isn't that like basically an erotic novel for women?

I'll definitely try to be more confident. But I don't think I will "reek" enuf to attract the other women around me...I'm normal looking, ask justnspace
:theghey:

I can actually tell you why I didn't notice, b/c I did think back to it. For the first year I knew her, her and I were good friends...even to me. Then I took her out to watch Inception with some friends, and I remember turning and looking t her and thinking "crap, when did that happen". So looking back at that first year, I remember her asking various questions like: "What would you do if that guy came up to me and asked me out right in front of you" And at the time, I think I said I wouldn't do anything b/c...I didn't care :/
Old 08-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Instructor

:theghey:

lol a picture's worth a thousand words I guess...for the last one tho, I'm pretty sure I face-palmed myself when I realized what I had done. I do appreciate the advice you gave me 97BlackAckCL
Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 AM

timecop is extra handsome.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool!

Now edit him out of the picture and post it
Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 AM

Old 08-08-2012, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Gracias (Quagmire not required lol)

Originally Posted by Scottman111
Cool!
Now edit him out of the picture and post it
Yeah right lol

Anyway, I did call her this weekend, and we just had a normal conversation. What I said a few weeks back was looming in my head, but she didn't mention it. So I assume our freindship is normal at least.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
yep you are in frined zone, a normal platonic freindship.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Ah well, can't win them all. At least you know how she feels without wondering about it over and over. This will actually help you get over your romantic feelings for her. Just focus on building a good friendship with her and start chasing more tail.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Having busted out of the friend zone there is a chance... it will just take time. Has she seen/heard about you dating other girls? If she hasn't there will come a time where you can talk about other girls or how you want to date a certain girl, and even if said girl is responsive to you and your friend sees it, her switch might flip and she will want you.

I pursued a girl who was my friend for quite some time and no matter how much I tried she just wasn't having it. So I just let up and let it be. Eventually I started talking about other girls and all she saw was a picture of me and another girl holding hands and she instantly came to me, said she wanted to be with me because she realized she didn't want to share me with another girl.

You never know, friend zone is definitely a breakable barrier.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Race Director

^ sorry, but that's a shitty reaction. A person was interested in you only after she had a chance of losing you? And you want to be with that?
The following users liked this post:
Arosemore07 (08-26-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
yep you are in frined zone, a normal platonic freindship.
Indeed I am...it sucks here lol

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
Ah well, can't win them all. At least you know how she feels without wondering about it over and over. This will actually help you get over your romantic feelings for her. Just focus on building a good friendship with her and start chasing more tail.
Yeah, I'm glad we're still friends. And there are plenty of girls out there (work and school) I kinda find attractive/interesting. We'll see what happens.

Originally Posted by cM3go
Having busted out of the friend zone there is a chance... it will just take time. Has she seen/heard about you dating other girls? If she hasn't there will come a time where you can talk about other girls or how you want to date a certain girl, and even if said girl is responsive to you and your friend sees it, her switch might flip and she will want you.
I pursued a girl who was my friend for quite some time and no matter how much I tried she just wasn't having it. So I just let up and let it be. Eventually I started talking about other girls and all she saw was a picture of me and another girl holding hands and she instantly came to me, said she wanted to be with me because she realized she didn't want to share me with another girl.
I used to date someone in high school (prom, etc etc). College kinda got between us, but we've been friends forever and she lives in CA working for Google now...so she's not an option anymore.
She's seen texts/pics/facebook from other girls who wanted to hang out. I never really tried anything with them b/c she was the one I liked...so there's that road...

^ sorry, but that's a shitty reaction. A person was interested in you only after she had a chance of losing you? And you want to be with that?
That's what I thought, but there's a girl in our office who's about 4 years older than me (she's like 25-ish now). She mentioned how she didn't start liking her male bff until after he got a gf. It's weird, but maybe it's a girl thing?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

That's what I thought, but there's a girl in our office who's about 4 years older than me (she's like 25-ish now). She mentioned how she didn't start liking her male bff until after he got a gf. It's weird, but maybe it's a girl thing?
ding ding ding

they like the idea of keeping you on a string as a back up option, only when someone else becomes competition do they ever start to care or notice
TeknoKing (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Girls want what other girls want, it's a prize thing. Why do some guys want a Porsche? Because a lot of guys want a Porsche! If nobody cared about Porsches, no matter how nice, there would be a much small demand from those who know nothing about the car. Girls don't often know much about cars, so why do they like Benz, BMW, Audi? Because thats what others who do know about it want. Girls aren't afraid of losing a guy until they are losing him, and only begin to want him when others want him
The following 4 users liked this post by PyroDave:
EvilVirus (08-22-2012), justnspace (08-10-2012), Mr Marco (08-23-2012), TLDude876 (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Race Director

So my question again, why would you want a girlfriend like that does not see your potential when you are available and once you are gone; now she thinks she wants you? It's because she does not want to be alone?

An example, you got a Pontiac Aztec parked by your work. It is a work car. You can careless for it. You don't find it appealing, but it's there and once in a while you can use to do some errands, but mostly you ignore it, you rather walk, take public transport and use another vehicle. And all of a sudden, the Pontiac is gone. OMG, now you regret that you haven't' driven it enough...

So my question, if the Pontiac ever returns, you would do what? Say how much you miss it, and begin neglecting it all over again? Who needs this? Why waste your time on a person who either is playing game or just does not think of you. Don't waste your precious time on a person who does not want to spend theirs on you.
The following 3 users liked this post by TeknoKing:
EvilVirus (08-22-2012), justnspace (08-10-2012), sixsixfour (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts

technically you didnt break through the friend zone. she fished you out from the bottom of the barrel. she kept you there (i.e. "how much you tried she wasnt having it") but when her options were drying up (i.e. picture of another girl having you) she immediately picked you from cold storage. if anything thats more of an insult. and if you succumb to that, then my friend there goes your self-respect out the window. she just wants you now because you were her backup, plain and simple. she strung you along and if a better option came she'd leave you out in the cold.

never settle to be second fiddle.

So my question again, why would you want a girlfriend like that does not see your potential when you are available and once you are gone; now she thinks she wants you? It's because she does not want to be alone?

An example, you got a Pontiac Aztec parked by your work. It is a work car. You can careless for it. You don't find it appealing, but it's there and once in a while you can use to do some errands, but mostly you ignore it, you rather walk, take public transport and use another vehicle. And all of a sudden, the Pontiac is gone. OMG, now you regret that you haven't' driven it enough...

So my question, if the Pontiac ever returns, you would do what? Say how much you miss it, and begin neglecting it all over again? Who needs this? Why waste your time on a person who either is playing game or just does not think of you. Don't waste your precious time on a person who does not want to spend theirs on you.

amen brother.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
Girls want what other girls want, it's a prize thing. Why do some guys want a Porsche? Because a lot of guys want a Porsche! If nobody cared about Porsches, no matter how nice, there would be a much small demand from those who know nothing about the car. Girls don't often know much about cars, so why do they like Benz, BMW, Audi? Because thats what others who do know about it want. Girls aren't afraid of losing a guy until they are losing him, and only begin to want him when others want him
troof!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Instructor

ding ding ding
they like the idea of keeping you on a string as a back up option, only when someone else becomes competition do they ever start to care or notice
It seems so, but I want to say that's she's not that kind of girl...I could be wrong tho :/

Originally Posted by PyroDave
I like the way you put that. Obviously I'm not gonna go out with a girl just to get her...but it would be an interesting plan just to see if that were the case in that situation.

True...but we don't even know if she's that girl. If it ends up that she is that girl, I'll be disappointed but I'll be pathetic enuf to take the opportunity to be with her (sad but true)
Old 08-11-2012, 08:42 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Sometimes people dont realize what they want or how they feel until they can no longer have it.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Sometimes people dont realize what they want or how they feel until they can no longer have it.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Safety Car

True, but if someone is so adamant that they want no romantic involvement with you, then it's kind of hard to believe they just didn't realize that you were such a total catch.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
True...but we don't even know if she's that girl. If it ends up that she is that girl, I'll be disappointed but I'll be pathetic enuf to take the opportunity to be with her (sad but true)
This borders on alarming. If this is your real attitide about your place in that relationship, she is the wrong girl. And it might not be because of her - it could be because of the pedistal you've put her on. But any relationship with her is doomed if you play the role of the underdog boyfriend who's lucky to have her.

The right girl looks like this: She can't imagine a future without you in it. She feels blessed to have you in her life. You bring out the best in her, and the worst of her doesn't scare you off. She'll have your back no matter what. She's your best friend. She celebrates with you in success and supports you in defeat. She stays with you even when you don't deserve her. And here's the key: you feel every one of those things for her.

That's the right girl. Now quit wasting your time on the internet go find her.

EvilVirus (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Instructor

Sorry for the late replies...was stuck in a conference last week and I was too lazy afterwards to touch a computer haha

Which really sucks...but that's how life goes I guess :/

Originally Posted by Rapture
True, but if someone is so adamant that they want no romantic involvement with you, then it's kind of hard to believe they just didn't realize that you were such a total catch.
That's what I thought. Because this girl in my office didn't even care about him until after he got the gf...then all of a sudden she just realized he was perfect...

This borders on alarming. If this is your real attitide about your place in that relationship, she is the wrong girl. And it might not be because of her - it could be because of the pedistal you've put her on. But any relationship with her is doomed if you play the role of the underdog boyfriend who's lucky to have her.
The right girl looks like this: She can't imagine a future without you in it. She feels blessed to have you in her life. You bring out the best in her, and the worst of her doesn't scare you off. She'll have your back no matter what. She's your best friend. She celebrates with you in success and supports you in defeat. She stays with you even when you don't deserve her. And here's the key: you feel every one of those things for her.
That's the right girl. Now quit wasting your time on the internet go find her.
That is the right girl indeed. And I know the girl I like probably doesn't feel that way about me...so I kinda feel like it wouldn't work out. But I would of liked the chance to make her feel that way about me and rely on me like that. We sorta have it, but it's def not to that level.
I did meet a girl last week when I was on travel in Utah. We hung out for the week, but it wasn't gonna work b/c she goes to school in CA (but I'm in the DMV). But she was pretty awesome...kinda normal ,yet crazy...a good combo lol
Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 AM

start fuxxing other chixx.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

So is this chick still in Pittsburgh?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Race Director

maybe hypnotizing may work for you?

Stare at this for a few minutes. Keep hands where we all can see them.

Subliminal message here is to move on...woooo.....on...move...on...yes.

EvilVirus (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Safety Car

damn look at that culo and you guys can insert some other comment cause i am fapping
Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I can't help the fact that most women are unreasonable and have a twisted view of how reality works. But I guess that makes them women!
EvilVirus (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Safety Car

^that is so true but hey we cant live without them and they cant pee standing................or can they?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:28 AM

That ass... must. resist. fucking. screen.
The following 3 users liked this post by Majofo:
EvilVirus (08-23-2012), Mizouse (09-03-2012), Mr. Maker (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Old 08-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Safety Car

I can't help the fact that most women are unreasonable and have a twisted view of how reality works. But I guess that makes them women!
Wow, you managed to make me both agree and disagree with you. Wtf.
justnspace (08-26-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
OP I feel for you. Friend zone is a tough spot to be in. May seem like everybody's coming down hard on you but look at it from the outside in here. These "weekly" phone calls about movies and whatever else are further cementing you into your spot. You're basically the gay friend at this point (no offense). You either gotta cut the chats down or switch up the topics, sounds wrong but as cM3go stated thats just how women work.
Growing up I was the friend zone kid, luckily I've come around and hooked up with all said friends, all it takes is some loosening up on your end (booze helps ) and a little convincing. Let her go for now, hook up with some other girls and build some confidence, seems evident by your timidness that you're lacking it. Who knows by the time you've completed this self-esteem makeover you might have moved onto somebody else without trying.

Last edited by HBaJ; 08-29-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Sorry for the late replies again guys! I was in UT 2 weeks ago, and classes started back again last week...so I've been busy lol

So is this chick still in Pittsburgh?
No, she left about 2 weeks ago...she's back to school in DC again. When she came back, I had to go to UT for work...so I didn't get to talk to her when she was in MD
I haven't really spoken to her since the last time I mentioned I talked to her in this thread...I'll prob call her sometime this week to just say hi

My gosh that's all powerful! The girl I like has nothing on this chick lol

Originally Posted by HBaJ
OP I feel for you. Friend zone is a tough spot to be in. May seem like everybody's coming down hard on you but look at it from the outside in here. These "weekly" phone calls about movies and whatever else are further cementing you into your spot. You're basically the gay friend at this point (no offense). You either gotta cut the chats down or switch up the topics, sounds wrong but as cM3go stated thats just how women work.
Growing up I was the friend zone kid, luckily I've come around and hooked up with all said friends, all it takes is some loosening up on your end (booze helps ) and a little convincing. Let her go for now, hook up with some other girls and build some confidence, seems evident by your timidness that you're lacking it. Who knows by the time you've completed this self-esteem makeover you might have moved onto somebody else without trying.
Thanks! Nah, everything everyone said makes sense. In the back of my head, I always knew I was becoming the gay friend (no offense). Which is why I went to AZ for an outside perspective. I did decide to cut the talks down, I haven't spoken to her in a few weeks...so like I said above, I'll call her and see what's up. I did meet a girl at the conefernce I attened for work in UT...didn't hook up, but it was a nice change of pace not thinking about the girl I like and just "connecting" with this other girl. (no pix...saying it in advance haha)

Quick Reply: Becoming more than just frined