Spaghetti Sauce

Old 01-17-2007, 02:06 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Spaghetti Sauce

What kind of Sauce do you use/make?

Growing up my mom made it from scratch, though it was never anything fancy. Just tomato sauce + paste + sauted onions and spices - usually with meat, but not always.

Since I'm lazy, but find most jar/canned sauses to be lacking, I usually start with a jar and spice it up - usually add garlic, oregano, red and black pepper. Usually brown some meat (beef or turkey) first with onions and add the sauce too it.

My wife adds a can of Cream of Mushroom soup, which means I usually add one, too.

What do you do? What other spices are worth experimenting with in the sauce?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
I'm not a big fan of vegetables, so my wife has to be creative with fitting them into our meals.

A couple nights ago she sauted some peppers with garlic, onions, fresh ground black pepper and some oregano. Then she sauted some ground turkey meat (another ploy to make us eat healthier) with beef stock until it fully cooked. She added the peppers to it, and then a jar of regular tomato and basil pasta sauce. Mixed it all together and then served it on pasta.

It was really good.

Next time she makes it, I think we are going to get some mushrooms and saute them in place of the peppers.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,674 Likes on 13,907 Posts
Originally Posted by moeronn
What kind of Sauce do you use/make?

Growing up my mom made it from scratch, though it was never anything fancy. Just tomato sauce + paste + sauted onions and spices - usually with meat, but not always.
What do you do? What other spices are worth experimenting with in the sauce?
When I make it from scratch, I also tend to add button mushrooms, garlic...and sometimes if the mood strikes a bit of green peppers.

And yeah, meat tends to be the optional ingredient since I don't eat it as much...
Old 01-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I skip the meat, either way, it tastes great.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Race Director

Received 853 Likes on 525 Posts
Usually make a pancetta sauce

pancetta
Onions, garlic
Canned sauce(Sauce Arturo)
oregano, cayenne pepper.

Let it cook and about 2 to 3 minutes before the pasta is done you add cream till the sauce is pink.

Last edited by Beelzebub; 01-17-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:56 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I most often make basic Marinara or Arrabiata (Spicy Marinara)

Basic Marinara
2-4 cloves garlic, minced (not mashed, pressed, or sliced)
1 sweet onion (like a vidalia. higher sulphur onions (like a red onion) can give the sauce a spoiled taste.)
1 16oz can of San Marzano Plum Tomatoes (yes, necessary. few tomatos taste better and none are better regulated. these are key to consistency. can be found in most supermarket these days. if not, definately at your local italian/import market.)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Really couldn't be any easier or tastier. Just don't burn the garlic, don't over heat the sauce, and don't let it get to thin.

To make a basic Arrabiata just bump the garlic to 6-12 cloves and add a couple teaspoons of red pepper flakes (if you're using the good/fresh stuff, a teaspoon should be sufficient for 16oz of tomato).

I never put tomato paste in a tomato sauce unless I'm making a meat or mushroom ragu, something you want really rich and hearty. Even then, no more then a tablespoon. You have to be careful with tomato paste, the ingredients can often be deceiving, and you have to brown it without burning it for proper taste.

I also don't add any dried spices unless I'm making a pizza sauce. The key to good pasta sauce, IMO, is simplicity, restraint, and quality ingredients.

In summer I like to add some fresh italian flat-leaf parsely to marinara, gives it a refreshing summer flavor. Fresh Basil can be a nice addition, but use it sparingly. Too much can over power a dish or give it a rancid flavor.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,674 Likes on 13,907 Posts
And oh, adding clams to spaghetti sauce...?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:49 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn. Some good ideas to try. Now my lunch (left over pasta from dinner last night) seems less satisfying.

Soopa - seems like you have a well tested recipe. If the tomatos are small enough, I might be able to sneak them by my wife.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 PM
mushroom mushroom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of my favorites: Reduced Vodka Sauce (pink sauce)

1/4 pound bacon or panchetta, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons minced garlic
14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
1 cup vodka
1 cup heavy cream

- Heat large heavy pot over medium-high
- Cook bacon until fat if rendered - 4min
- Add onions and red pepper, slightly carmelize - 6min
- Add garlic cook for - 1min
- Add tomatoes cook for - 2min
- Add good grade vodka (I prefer Grey Goose) because the cheap stuff sucks. reduce heat and simmer for 10-15min
- Add peas and cream cook for - 2min

This will yield enough for about 1lb of pasta of your choosing. Top with basil and fresh grated parm. regiano.

I also like to add scallops and/or shrimp to the sauce for special occasions.

**1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper goes a long way so if you don't like it spicy, don't add any any or very little.

Last edited by bug230; 01-17-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:45 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Making my own I usually get a bunch of medium sized tomatoes and roast them in the oven for an hour with some garlic and olive oil. Mash the tomatoes up (not to a puree) with the garlic and toss in whatever other veggies you want. It depends on what I'm making but I usually add shrimp, kalamata olives, onions, and red pepper. I then crumble feta cheese over the sauce once it has cooled a little.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:25 AM
The Creator

Originally Posted by subinf
Making my own I usually get a bunch of medium sized tomatoes and roast them in the oven for an hour with some garlic and olive oil. Mash the tomatoes up (not to a puree) with the garlic and toss in whatever other veggies you want. It depends on what I'm making but I usually add shrimp, kalamata olives, onions, and red pepper. I then crumble feta cheese over the sauce once it has cooled a little.
You had me until Shrimp, Olives, and Feta.

But yeah, roasting tomatoes is a good method to make a sauce from scratch. Alton Brown has a great recipe for roasted tomato sauce. I'll try to find.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:31 AM
The Creator

Originally Posted by soopa
1 28oz can of San Marzano Plum Tomatoes (yes, necessary. few tomatos taste better and none are better regulated. these are key to consistency. can be found in most supermarket these days. if not, definately at your local italian/import market.)
BTW, here's my favorite canned tomatoes:

http://products.racconto.com/raccont...gredientID=451

They are absolutely delicious.

San Marzano + Organic FTW
Old 01-19-2007, 07:33 AM
The Creator

Here's some background on San Marzano's btw...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marzano_tomato

I can't stress what a difference these will make for the taste of your sauces.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I make a banging alfredo- recipe at home though. Pretty much in anything italian i make i add scallions very finely chopped. They add so much flavor.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:13 PM
One on the right for me

You had me until Shrimp, Olives, and Feta.

But yeah, roasting tomatoes is a good method to make a sauce from scratch. Alton Brown has a great recipe for roasted tomato sauce. I'll try to find.

Really? I guess I've always loved shrimp and kalamata olives. Anyway, unless I'm in a hurry I usually try roasting the tomatoes because its not only good, but makes a great base for whatever you want to add.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:15 PM
One on the right for me

Slightly off topic but also a good recipe to play around with is Rachael Ray's 'peasant pasta' dish. I've made it a couple time. I don't eat meat but have given in once or twice with this dish. I'd leave the peas off unless you are really into them. Also cut the amount of chicken broth in half unless you want to really cook the liquid down.

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
1/2 pound hot Italian sausage, available in bulk at butcher counter or, 2 links, casings removed
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, available in bulk at butcher counter or, 4 links, casings removed
3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped, optional
1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup frozen green peas
24 leaves fresh basil, torn or thinly sliced
1 pound penne rigate pasta, cooked to al dente
Grated Italian cheese, for passing

Heat a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan. Add sausage meat. Crumble sausage meat as it browns. Add chopped garlic to the pan. When all of the crumbles have browned evenly, deglaze the pan drippings using chicken or vegetable broth. Stir in crushed tomatoes and bring the sauce up to a bubble, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Stir cream into your sauce, this will blush the color and cut the acidity of the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir peas and basil into your sauce to combine. Toss hot d
Old 08-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's some background on San Marzano's btw...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marzano_tomato

I can't stress what a difference these will make for the taste of your sauces.
Soopa...you are da man!!! I know you know sauce if you use San Marzano tomatos. BTW....have you ever tried carrots pureed in a food processor for some sweetness. I see you use sweet onions....but the carrots add another layer of flavor....try it sometime. I usually add herbs twice....dried during the cooking process, then fresh after it's done cooking.
Steve

Last edited by JetJock; 08-16-2007 at 04:32 PM.