Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

XO, XSX|S, PS4, PS5, PC: Elden Ring

Old 11-15-2022, 09:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,309 Likes on 962 Posts
I've been finding random caves with mines or catacombs that I missed so just clearing those out. Kind of leaving VM and/or the Capital for next. Was wondering which I should do.

I have my Executioner's Greataxe at +21. Basically I need (8) smithing stones to upgrade and I've found only one. A quick glance at the Wiki shows I won't be finding them until I advance further in the game.

I'm using the War Cry skill which:Haven't really thought of changing it as I'm just using brute force through fools.
The following users liked this post:
Yumcha (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,854 Likes on 14,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
I've been finding random caves with mines or catacombs that I missed so just clearing those out. Kind of leaving VM and/or the Capital for next. Was wondering which I should do.

I have my Executioner's Greataxe at +21. Basically I need (8) smithing stones to upgrade and I've found only one. A quick glance at the Wiki shows I won't be finding them until I advance further in the game.

I'm using the War Cry skill which:Haven't really thought of changing it as I'm just using brute force through fools.
Yeah, now that I've reset the world after my shenanigans in CFA, I'll be tying up some loose ends that I think I have to do. Have a few NPCs to find (or kill) and see what parts of the map I have not fully explored. I will use the opportunity to level up a bit too since well, why not.

Your build is so wildly brute-strength that I think maybe you don't need the elemental buffs I do. Abeit, because the Blasphemous Sword is magical by nature, you'd need Somber smithing stones...so, you won't eat into the pile you're using for your mega-axe. Anyways, you have time to think it over if you have not done VM anyways but the sword is fun.

I slaughtered the dragon last night. Booya. First try in re-engaging it after it had wiped the floor with me a few times the night prior. In preparation, I did arm myself with the lightning protection talisman as this beast was all about the red-lightning strikes. And also, went a bit crazy on the protection spells before the fight...before phase 2, I also drank my potion that basically nullified damage which comes from his airstrike slash...yeah, that did the trick too.

Doom878 (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 12:55 PM
Team Owner

Well done. So per your advice, I'll hit VM instead of the Capitol.
Yumcha (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Well done. So per your advice, I'll hit VM instead of the Capitol.
Yes. And per the missions in VM, you'll be compelled to do the Capitol anyways...but, start off with VM so that at least you found all the Graces and did everything up to the point where you have to go to the city per the story/questline.

In the Capitol, really explore and take your time. The sewers are full of secrets...
Old 11-15-2022, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

My timeline -- which isn't spoiling much since it's via my discovery/exploration: VM...then, get sent to Capitol. Complete the sewers of the Capitol, finish the Capitol itself...advance to the snowfields...return to VM (complete it). Go back to snowfields. Go off to fight Mohgwyn (you need to advance the Varre questline -- you should've met him a couple of times already) where you'll find those farming spots that you told me about in his world...complete the Mohgwyn world (NOTE: not quite the same as Mohg who is the boss of the sewers). Complete snowfields (both regions). Go take on Haligtree and Malenia. CFA.

That has been my questline to-date.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

In other words, you have more hours to pour into this game. And no, this game does not end. Ever.
Doom878 (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator

So...I did not know if you go to some huts, at night, a boss-like enemy shows up. Seems to be only shacks that are "Abandoned" and have a lone merchant by it. I can confirm I had 2 instances after last night.

FYI, Doomie.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:06 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Yumcha
So...I did not know if you go to some huts, at night, a boss-like enemy shows up. Seems to be only shacks that are "Abandoned" and have a lone merchant by it. I can confirm I had 2 instances after last night.

FYI, Doomie.
Yeah I found out about some NPC's being at places at night. There was one mini boss on a horse that I beat early game that only came out at night. Like the song: the freaks come out at night.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah I found out about some NPC's being at places at night. There was one mini boss on a horse that I beat early game that only came out at night. Like the song: the freaks come out at night.
Night Cavalry...yeah, they patrol roads. They are like, lesser-Tree Sentinels, I think...a bit easier. The latter are more tank-like and have way more reach. Also, have the ability to use magic spells per the ones we dealt with guarding the Capitol and the one I had issues with at CFA.

I also will confess to killing Patches yesterday. I wanted his armor...had enough of him as I'm pretty sure I'm close to end-game.

I converted all my Remembrances and duplicated what I could for the ones I wanted. So, really, aside from maybe leveling up, it's time to explore the Capitol once more as this is where the game has led me after CFA. Well, what's left of the Capitol. Oops. I think my character did that completing CFA.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Oh, also maxed out leveling out some weaponry with all the smithing stones (and somber ones) I had. I have an arsenal of maxed katanas ( ), the maxed Dark Moon mega-sword, already maxed-Blasphemous Sword, and maxed out a hammer since I need a bludgeon for those annoying crystal humanoids.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:05 AM
Team Owner

Holy shit like +25 weapons? I had a hard time finding 7 stones. I guess once I find the right Bell, I can start buying them. I hope to play some tonight.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Holy shit like +25 weapons? I had a hard time finding 7 stones. I guess once I find the right Bell, I can start buying them. I hope to play some tonight.
Yessir. You will get them as you find more caves, dungeons, and explore the large castles thoroughly. Given the path I had described you still have to take, you will find a large assortment of stones.

And Sombers only go to +10.

I leveled up a bit last night for 45 minutes...didn't play too much otherwise. I think either tonight or tomorrow, I'll march up the stairs to the big giant glowing door past the Erdtree and I suspect, yeah...Marika is likely the end-boss?

Old 11-17-2022, 11:41 PM
Senior Moderator

I finished the game.

Doom878 (11-18-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 11:42 PM
Senior Moderator

<face plants>
Old 11-18-2022, 08:34 AM
Team Owner

Holy fuck man! Congrats! I guess you wanted to tie up some loose ends before continuing.
Yumcha (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Holy fuck man! Congrats! I guess you wanted to tie up some loose ends before continuing.
Yeah...took a few tries and understanding what I was being slapped around with by the boss (both versions). I got the proper protections going and then yeah...was able to succeed in the 4th try? Difficulty is not as high as Malenia. I honestly think there is no boss that is like her in this game. Again, you have your approach but given you are a strength build, get that Blasphemous Sword from Rykard...power it up with smithing stones and yeah, you may see why it became my end-game weapon (over my +10 Moonveil katana).

Anyways, I won't go NG+ yet. I'm looking at my trophy list and apparently, I'm short a couple talismans per online's listing. I'll go searching...I'm comfortable-ish that I'm a semi-walking tank now. I also have another ending that well, I bypassed and need to figure out but I suspect I need to go through NG+ to achieve. Some 3-Fingered thing.

And oh...when you beat the end-game boss...convert that remembrance to the sword offering. The alternate attack is holy-fark powers...I basically took out an entire wave of enemies in one shot. It's even more powerful than the Blasphemous Blade's secondary attack.

Doom878 (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

So...this game does deserve the accolades and 10/10 scores. I have never played a quest/adventure game of this caliber that tested my abilities and despite the nutbar curve, still egged me on to try. The way it just draws/lures you back is someting I can't properly articulate.

Graphics-wise, it is superb as is the voice acting. The soundtrack is good. Storyline is a bit convoluted and it was much later that I realized I need to read the descriptions of the many items, weaponry, and etc. I accumulate to string together something. The lack of direction overal I think for some may feel daunting and not for everyone...and of course, the non-stop dying. I suppose being neurotic sorta helped me with this game since that repetitive sort of approach lined up nicely with my personality.

Now, regarding the storyline...the endings...I viewed all of the ones available for me by reloading my game by DL my data from the cloud: The only maybe negative. Too short and cryptic. Then again, it's sorta similar to all From games so, why am I even griping that. Just wished that given the hours and hours I've put into the game to quest, you'd think we'd get something a bit more substantial. I guess the reward is the sense of achievement for finishing this game? I dunno.

And back to what makes the game great: It's drawing me back to get at the loose ends and yeah, I want to play NG+.

Doom878 (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 12:53 PM
Team Owner

Yeah I don't typically follow the lore too closely in Fromsoft games except for Bloodborne. That game was just a masterpiece but to me all their games are so fun and challenging. It's more, can I beat boss, smash, next. I get more blown away by games with more telling storyline like God of War, MGS, or Uncharted but the play is nowhere near as fun.
Yumcha (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah I don't typically follow the lore too closely in Fromsoft games except for Bloodborne. That game was just a masterpiece but to me all their games are so fun and challenging. It's more, can I beat boss, smash, next. I get more blown away by games with more telling storyline like God of War, MGS, or Uncharted but the play is nowhere near as fun.
Given how vast and 'tragic' some of the storylines are, I am curious as to exactly what happened though. Like, some description of the Malenia/Radahn fight...or what caused the assassination attemp on Marika's own...

I will do some Googling to see if I can find some storyboard as I'm sure there are plenty of fans who are wondering what happened here.

Already thinking when I can load up the game to play more.

I am unsure if I need another PS5 game for awhile.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:09 AM
Team Owner

I didn't get to play this weekend. Too busy prepping for Thanksgiving. Hopefully this week.

VaatiVidya on YouTube is a lore genius for all the Souls games. And his British accent is so buttery
Yumcha (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

This is what I've been reading: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/el.../1100-6502537/

Spoiler warning is a given.
Doom878 (11-21-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator

I didn't get to play this weekend. Too busy prepping for Thanksgiving. Hopefully this week.

VaatiVidya on YouTube is a lore genius for all the Souls games. And his British accent is so buttery
Thanks for the recommendation to watch VaatVidya...! He's been great! And yes, his voice is awesome.

I've recently started NG+ and have a bit more structure to my game now as I recall my 'main' path without all my meandering explorations...as I now know some of those let-me-see-what-is-in-here can wait esp. those in different regions (i.e. Caelid). In the replay, I'm focused primarily in Limgrave and will be heading to the castle to take on Godrick the Grafted soon.

I still did go to Caelid as I found a warp behind the 3rd Church of Marika in Limgrave. So, ended up there anyways and did a couple of things immediately: Took out the giant Gargoyle boss standing outside of the sanctum, the giant dragon on the bridge, and the walking tree-thing. With my level, the Blasphemous Sword...oh yeahhh...nobody stoppin' me!

Also, because of the time elapsed in taking on all those, I also took out the Night Cavalry in that general area since it turned to night.

After taking care of those 4 field bosses, I'm back in Limgrave and attempting to keep it more linear this time in my world exploration. I will also likely turn to some online guides to see what I missed and be more thorough. I already found a cookbook I never had.

Killed the dragon in Limgrave with ease. I still did get killed in this playthrough but that was because jumping still pwns me sometimes -- most recently in a cave last night as I missed my landing spot.

So far, I'm just a walking tank in Limgrave as no monster is too great. It's sorta a relief and nice change of pace to not be cannon fodder.

And yup, the 2nd time round, this game is still marvelous. Sigh.

Last edited by Yumcha; 11-25-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Doom878 (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 09:16 AM
Team Owner

Glad you found him he is great. Speaking of YouTube, soon I will be reviewing this guy's videos as he has some nice clips of some side quests that I probably (and definitely) didn't find. Check him out.

I actually killed all the Night Cavalry (except for the Snowfields one) and Night Birds (forgot their name) yesterday. The Night Cavalry in Caelid by the bridge with the dragon was definitely tough and super strong. I'm sure the Snowfields one will be tough too.

I think I cleared out the Volcano Manor, man what a lovely level design. I'm glad lava isn't instakill either. I killed that bastard Rykard. Man what a site and loved the cutscene in between. The spear he gives you was weak and it was taking forever to beat him. I got close a few times but I needed to go to bed so the first strat I read was to upgrade the spear. So I got it up to like +5 and learned it has a weapon art. So proceeded to cheese his ass. Below that is the lava dragon who wasn't too tough.

Yumcha (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Nicely done, man! Congrats on taking out the night riders and clearing out Volcano Manor. Yeah, the Rykard fight is something else...horror/fantasy at its finest right there.

Now, please...convert Rykard's Remembrance to the sword he used against you. It is marvelous...level it up and really, really make use of the alternate attack when you need to. It is to me, a game-changer and what helped me take out Malenia. That fire attack is just insane power and given your build, your strength will augment just fine with the blade.

The Night Cavalry in the snow fields are hard because well, there are TWO of them...but I remember that I got smarter and learned to only aggro one at a time. So, use your arrows to draw one to you and then, kill that bastard...then go after his partner.

I cleared out Limgrave yesterday...Grafted Godrick's @$$ and are ready to head to Lake region. I will do another pass of the first world to see if I missed any Sites. Found a bit more loot by checking for caverns that I never discovered in the Weeping Peninsula. Still marvelous the second time round but a bit less stressful as I'm pretty powerful and more or less know what I'm doing now. In checking the trophies, my ending is indeed the 3-fingers narrative so, I'll have to complete the side-quests needed for that...which strangely enough triggers very early in the game with the blind girl at the side of the road.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Oh, noticed you're decked in the General's armor...that's pretty much what I wear too...but, I like the Tree Sentinel helmet more.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:29 AM
Team Owner

Yeah I literally leveled up and saved the game after beating him, then went to bed. Not sure I can play this week because I'm traveling Wednesday and won't return till Sunday. I need to talk to the folks at the Manor and the main hub (to convert his Rememberance). Keep me updated on your progress
Yumcha (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah I literally leveled up and saved the game after beating him, then went to bed. Not sure I can play this week because I'm traveling Wednesday and won't return till Sunday. I need to talk to the folks at the Manor and the main hub (to convert his Rememberance). Keep me updated on your progress

And as you're away, this game will call you...cuz, I know when I don't play, I start thinking about what I'll do next.

Do not forget to talk to the inhabitants in VM, for sure. If you gone far enough, you may have one more 'boss' fight in the manor but it's alot easier. Hint: Talk to the hostess lots and advance her to the point where she leaves her seat and you'll find her 'mourning' Rykard and well...yeah...just do her a favor and put her out of her misery...
Doom878 (11-29-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Back to Liurna Lake and exploring this vast region. Making sure I really comb the area as I already found a few things I missed the first time round.

Time to find where the dragon and that night-skullbird lurks...after I take them out, will head to the Academy and its residents. Likely will be my weekend mission but given the size of the castle, maybe it'll go a few days if I can play a few times.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:52 AM
Team Owner

You should've had no problems with the dragon and bird. Just got back from my trip last night so hopefully get in some time tonight.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

You should've had no problems with the dragon and bird. Just got back from my trip last night so hopefully get in some time tonight.
None whatsoever. I die more frequently from missed jumps than anything though I did get swarmed and killed by a mob the other night. So, I'm not invincible. But, yeah...the Blasphemous Sword is just all sorts of awesome. Hope you use it and spend some stones leveling it up, sir.

I gather you're off to the snowy mountains next? Try to see if you can get to underworld ruled by Mohgwyn. That's the area you told me about to farm...and yeah, it's great.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:43 AM
Team Owner

None whatsoever. I die more frequently from missed jumps than anything though I did get swarmed and killed by a mob the other night. So, I'm not invincible. But, yeah...the Blasphemous Sword is just all sorts of awesome. Hope you use it and spend some stones leveling it up, sir.

I gather you're off to the snowy mountains next? Try to see if you can get to underworld ruled by Mohgwyn. That's the area you told me about to farm...and yeah, it's great.
I haven't converted the sword yet because I might duplicate the rune first. I'm still not leveled high enough to use it. My Faith and Dex are way too low though I can use a ton of spells. I'm working towards those requirements as I level up then I will consider whether or not to dupe it.

I actually haven't played until last night since I was out of town last week and busy this week. I found a couple items I missed in central Caelid and spoke to those remaining at Volcano Manor. The lizard lady was gone but I did get the emote in the hallway. I guess she's dead/gone as well as the dude in the corner who regretted his job. Patches bailed too. I pretty much cleared the capital last week however I have to find the Shit dude's corpse underground and the boss of that area. I did beat up Morgott though. He has some interesting moves. I really thought he had another form so I was surprised, thus me slashing his corpse at the end

Yumcha (12-12-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Congrats on taking down the 'king'. His twin bro, Mohg, is the guy who nets you 500,000 runes in the blood world...the same place you had tipped me to farm, BTW.

In regards to converting the Rune to a sword, don't worry about it because even if you convert, you can still duplicate it at the Masoleum. The crazy thing is, with Morgott done with, the game is still I think only halfway for you esp. if you take on what I did in going after Malenia. Keep going!

I took out Rennala a couple evenings ago and now will continue to finish up the lake region.
Doom878 (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Shocking...

Elden Ring is Game of the Year. Yup...no brainer.
Doom878 (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 01:54 PM
Team Owner

Lots wanted GoW to win but this game is so insane. I wouldn't be mad if the King was the last boss.

Forgot to mention that I went back to Redmane Castle in Caelid and there were recycled bosses in the Champions' area before you go down the elevator to fight Radahn. Plus all the doors are open and the enemies came back inside so I found more goodies.

BTW, did you try the Coliseum yet? Makes sense that those huge buildings open up now.
Old 12-09-2022, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Lots wanted GoW to win but this game is so insane. I wouldn't be mad if the King was the last boss.

Forgot to mention that I went back to Redmane Castle in Caelid and there were recycled bosses in the Champions' area before you go down the elevator to fight Radahn. Plus all the doors are open and the enemies came back inside so I found more goodies.

BTW, did you try the Coliseum yet? Makes sense that those huge buildings open up now.
LOL, he's Morgott is farrr from it. You still have the snowfields, underworld, sewers, Haligtree, crumbling world, and returning back to the capitol...Still a gauntlet...and after you finish that up, you will probably, like me, play again.

Oh...hrm...I do not recall more bosses after taking out Radahn. But, I don't think I did go back either...though, on that big battlefield, there is a dungeon/cave towards the northeast corner against the cliff/mountain. Have a look if you did not find it since you are back in Redmane.

And no, I have not gone into the Coliseums because I gather they are online matches against others and for now, I don't care about taking this game into SFII.
Doom878 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 09:43 AM
Team Owner

^Yeah I found that hidden cave in the battlefield. I do tend to explore a lot. 93 hours in so far

I did go back and kill the King's brother below. I have problems with these guys and their delay attacks.

I started the Snowfields, killed the Night Cavalry and Death Bird thing and the Catacombs level which is a pain to find the lever. Then I crossed that long ass bridge and killed the mini-boss reaper guy in the boat in the graveyard. Had to stop but had some nice progress.
Yumcha (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

^Yeah I found that hidden cave in the battlefield. I do tend to explore a lot. 93 hours in so far

I did go back and kill the King's brother below. I have problems with these guys and their delay attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99ghUWYBPeg

I started the Snowfields, killed the Night Cavalry and Death Bird thing and the Catacombs level which is a pain to find the lever. Then I crossed that long ass bridge and killed the mini-boss reaper guy in the boat in the graveyard. Had to stop but had some nice progress.
Nicely done...so, you explored the sewers. Did you check behind the wall in this altar area you fought the brother?

As well, there is another iteration of this guy in the blood world...that's underground and you will need to advance Varre's questline to get to it.

Old 12-12-2022, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Started going deeper into Caelid yesterday...cleared out Fort Gael and some of the ruins and tunnels near that area. Probably headed to the rotting swamp soon.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:56 PM
Team Owner

Nicely done...so, you explored the sewers. Did you check behind the wall in this altar area you fought the brother?

As well, there is another iteration of this guy in the blood world...that's underground and you will need to advance Varre's questline to get to it.
Welp I got homework but I did find the body of the Dung Eater guy, beat it, and then proceeded it to give it that item.

Not sure at the moment if I found Fort Gael. Thought I cleared out Caelid but you know this game.
Old 12-12-2022, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Welp I got homework but I did find the body of the Dung Eater guy, beat it, and then proceeded it to give it that item.

Not sure at the moment if I found Fort Gael. Thought I cleared out Caelid but you know this game.
Fort Gael is a mini-tower in the southwest region of Caelid...it's nothing really but has a couple of items. No boss.

Near the fort is a cave among the rotten swamp it overlooks. That is also someplace worth exploring if you have not. To open that cave's entrance, you need one of those consumable keys you can buy or find.

Quick Reply: XO, XSX|S, PS4, PS5, PC: Elden Ring