Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

TrackMania Sunrise

Old 06-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,352 Likes on 5,259 Posts
TrackMania Sunrise

how did I miss this game..... could it have been.... GT4? GTR??

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/256778.asp

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/t...se/review.html

I always like making custom things such as tracks and cars and this game apparently has a very comprehensive track editor. From the review it sounds like the gameplay for such a game would be like I would expect, overly arcadey and exaggerated. But just because of the track editing capabilities, I think I will have to give it a try. I have seriously been WAITING for a new game like this to come around. My hope is that, with hopefully not too much work, I can at least try to somewhat recreate some of my fav real-life tracks that have not been done before (such as Gingerman Raceway) - in addition to making crazy original ones. So really this is more of a "fantasy" type of racing game.

The cars portion of the game reminds me of Ridge Racer... but the tracks portion reminds me of Racing Destruction Set - that is, a new version of it. So obviously I'm not expecting this to compare to say, GT4 or GTR, but can you do this in either of those games?? nope.

love when they make these "original" cars that are obviously spinoffs of real cars... this is mostly SLR but the back is CGT. weird.

yeah. this game could be probs. I love how it has the look of a slot-car racing track.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow.....
Old 06-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even Mister Sim guy

<--------------

may have to pick up that one. Reminds me of the old game "Stunts" I used to drive for hours and hours back on my 386 PC.

MT-32 sound support and 256 color graphics!

Last edited by Billiam; 06-04-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^ wow how did I miss that game??? I can't believe I missed that game... this is the first I've ever heard of it.. well... I probably saw it back in the day but for whatever reason didn't get it. Looks like it was a lotta fun!

http://www.abandonia.com/games/73/Stunts/Stunts.htm

ps. did you notice TrackMania has online mode
Old 06-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Billiam
Reminds me of the old game "Stunts" I used to drive for hours and hours back on my 386 PC.

I used to LOVE that game. I used to play for days trying to make the most insane tracks/crashes possible. This game looks like it will be pretty sweet too.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Senior Moderator

I went out looking for this game today - tried EBgames, apparently most stores don't carry it. So I think I will have to order it online.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

wow.... this game is on the front page of CNN.com today.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/fun.gam...nia/index.html

Review: 'TrackMania' sequel delivers

By Marc Saltzman
Gannett News Service
Friday, August 19, 2005; Posted: 11:23 a.m. EDT (15:23 GMT)

TrackMania Sunrise
Cars take a leap in "TrackMania Sunrise."

A sequel to a successful video game should retain the magic of its predecessor while also introducing new features to further enhance the game play.

"TrackMania Sunrise" does just that. The follow-up to 2004's innovative PC driving game once again combines the thrill of high-speed racing with a fully customizable editor to create and share unique tracks, but this sequel also adds new game modes, faster sports cars and more expansive environments, including a handful of beautiful locales along the West Coast.

At under $30, this attractively priced Windows exclusive lets gamers climb behind the wheel of a couple of dozen cars before tackling opponents -- be it computer-controlled ones or real players via the Net -- on fictional highways, city streets and rural countrysides. Gamers can drive one of the game's default cars or tweak its looks and performance by visiting a virtual garage.

While this may sound like typical fare for a racing game, "TrackMania Sunrise" features some outrageous tracks, such as ones with enormous ramps, winding tunnels, loop-de-loops and even the ability to drive straight up a vertical 90-degree angle. Successfully maneuvering through these unreal courses means you may reach the finish line before your opponents -- if you don't fall off a ledge and into the ocean, of course.

Depending on the vehicle, it's possible to reach insane speeds of 250 mph, so when you catch air it's an exhilarating few moments worth savoring. To successfully unlock all the tracks in "TrackMania Sunrise," you'll need to drive as if you were Jeff Gordon and Evel Knievel rolled into one. While the cars enjoy semi-authentic physics and handling, this game is much more of an arcade racer than a driving simulation.

When you first start playing, only a couple of tracks and vehicles are available, but you can unlock more tracks by reaching the finish line in a reasonable amount of time and earning bronze, silver or gold medal status.

Single-player races are divided into various game types. The Race mode is a fairly straightforward time trial race where players must beat their best time to unlock extra courses; while the Platform mode features plenty of ramps and corkscrews.

The ingenious Puzzle mode provides you with a number of road pieces that you must put together with your mouse before you can drive from point A to point B. The challenge is putting the pieces together in such a way that you can reach your destination in the allotted time.

Finally, the Crazy mode includes some outlandish track designs and mini-challenges that let you try out silly stunts.

As with its predecessor, game developer Nadeo has included a comprehensive track editor for players to concoct their own twisted track designs and swap them over the Internet. With the tools provided, you can spend hours designing a track before uploading it to TrackManiaGame.com, but the editor can be tricky to master so it requires patience to design your perfect race course. You can also download and race on tracks created by the vibrant "TrackMania Sunrise" community at TrackManiaGame.com. Or you join multiplayer races in the site's intuitive online gaming lobby.

Along with its new game types, "TrackMania Sunrise" has improved the look, sound and feel of the game by enhancing its graphics, audio and controls. Speaking of controls, gamers can use the four arrow keys to maneuver the car, but you will get more out of the game by investing in a game pad or steering wheel.

"TrackMania Sunrise" has kept everything that made "TrackMania" a fresh and innovative racing game and has added a slew of improvements to make this value-priced racer a terrific buy for the entire family.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:16 PM
uu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first of all, didn't really want to revive this more than 2 years old thread... but don't wanna get reprizzled.

Anyway, racing fans, go to:

http://www.trackmanianations.com/indexUk.php

download a copy of Trackmania Nations for free and start practicing locally, and join the race online to win real MONEY!!