Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Sony trying to stop pre-owned PS3 games from being sold?

Old 05-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,605 Likes on 5,378 Posts
Sony trying to stop pre-owned PS3 games from being sold?

damn, if this is true, they just don't know when to quit, do they. This reminds me of the whole DRM debaucle they ran into with their CD's installing malware when played on computers...

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=3086&Itemid=2
Old 05-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 134 Posts
I thought this was something that surfaced before and was struck down as a rumer.
Or atleast that was just when it was known that the technology would be available for this generation to do such a thing.

If this sort of thing does happen, and sony gets kicked around as a result. I would belive they were deserving of such a thing.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silly question from a non-console guy:

Is Sony themselves actually the publusher for all PS games? Since I'm only used to the PC gaming world, I'm having a hard time figuring out how Sony could even be involved in the licensing for game titles.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Drifting

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/s...ic_id=23921409

Source: A series of sources conveniently amalgamated by Joystiq.

The official story: "We have made no official statement regarding coding for PS3 games."--Sony spokesperson.

What we heard: Given the billions of dollars it sinks into its movie, music, and games divisions, it's little wonder Sony is big on digital rights management. The company has implemented anti-copying measures for years and has admitted it has been installing cloaking rootkits to hide DRM programs. (It has since issued a patch to remove the rootkit.)

Those familiar with Sony's CD DRM practices were unsurprised when Joystiq reported that the company has patented DRM software that could prevent PlayStation 3s from playing used or borrowed games. The site cites US Patent #6,816,972, which is for "a device and method for protection of legitimate software against used software and counterfeit software in recording media." Specifically, the patented technology would verify that when software was inserted into a "machine" (read: console), it was registered to that machine. If it couldn't, the technology would prompt the machine to shut down, preventing the software from being accessed.

Such measures would be fine and dandy, were they targeted at pirated software. But the patented tech--which bears the name of Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi--is specifically designed to prevent used software from being sold. "Since only titles for which legitimate software has actually been purchased and which have been initially registered in the machine table can be used, resale (so-called used software purchase) after purchase by an end-user becomes practically impossible," it reads. Such measures would also prevent lent or rented software from being played.

But would Sony incorporate technology from Patent #6,816,972 into the PS3? On one hand, doing so would guarantee that each gamer would buy a new copy of each PS3 game, theoretically meaning bigger sales to help defray the steep cost of next-gen development. It would also remove the PS3 from the used-game trade, a market from which Sony gets no revenue.

However, there would be some major drawbacks to implementing Patent # 6,816,972 technology into the PS3. It would mean forfeiting the rental market to Microsoft's Xbox 360. Though there are signs that the game-rental stories are in decline--Blockbuster Video is reportedly shopping around its GameRush subsidiary--Netflix-esque services like GameFly are gaining in popularity. Then there's the fact that many people can't afford to buy a whole lot of games. When presented with a choice between a console that does play rented games and one that doesn't, which way do you think they'll go? There's also the risk of sparking a blacklash like the one currently raging over the BMG DRM rootkit.

[UPDATE] While US Sony reps think the best way to deal with gossip is silence, Sony Europe spokespersons have apparently decided to put this particular rumor to rest. According to the London Guardian's
tech blog, SCEE PR manger Jennie Kong blasted the rumor as " false speculation." "PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console," she told the Guardian. [Thanks Lefein and stoner02]
so once again false apparently.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Nov 10th '05??? wtf.... that makes this some old, wrong sheit.. my bad.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Drifting

I think my reading comprehension was hovering around 2 or 3 out of 100 the firt time I read the article you posted.

This article does bring up new thingies. That they would make it hard for a retailer to legaly sell a 2nd hand game by having a eula.
If that were the case they wouldn't need the technology bit at all. Recently in my town microsoft stopped a buisness from re selling any microsoft products. Though those discs were physicaly capable of being installed on any pc, legal muscle kept it off the shelves.

I think my reading comprehension was hovering around 2 or 3 out of 100 the firt time I read the article you posted.

As to billiams question, I have no idea. Though I suppose they lisence the technology to of blueray and their ps3 development tools to every 3rd party game maker. I have no clue if they can use that to do this though.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Stapler
me too.. I just saw today's date and I kinda assumed it was "new" info...

I think I see what happened now... it says "Updated" next to today's date...
Old 05-25-2006, 08:13 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,139 Likes on 820 Posts
Originally Posted by Billiam
Silly question from a non-console guy:

Is Sony themselves actually the publusher for all PS games? Since I'm only used to the PC gaming world, I'm having a hard time figuring out how Sony could even be involved in the licensing for game titles.
Sony only publishes a small percentage of all PS games. Other big publishers would be EA, Capcom, NAMCO, Konami, etc. However, I believe all publishers must agree to Sony's rules and I suppose pay a royalty to Sony.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:25 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That will be the end of sony if they do that. I know a lot of younger kids that joing the gamestop card prgram and receive 10% off trad-ins and used games. And once a year gamestop has a promotion where you buy 2 used games and get the 3rd for free. Without that, some of these kids wont be able to buy many games at all. Sony will sell less consoles if people find out they cant play used or rented games on them.