Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Sony PlayStation to sell user data to advertisers

Old 07-03-2007, 02:49 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts

July 3, 2007
There’s already plenty of product placement in video games, but Sony (SNE) appears to have plans to take the nascent industry — in which advertisers only spent $80 million last year — to a much more sophisticated level. The company has agreed to let Nielsen track the behavior of PlayStation gamers to let advertisers better understand gamers’ demographics, how much time they spend on a given game, and how closely they pay attention to the product placement. Sony and Nielsen aren’t being totally clear yet on how they’re going to acquire the information, but it could be a combination of self-reported data and stats gleaned directly from the consoles themselves somehow.

You don’t hear the same strategy coming out of Nintendo yet — in part because the Nintendo Wii has sold so well, thoroughly beating the Play Station 3. Since November 2006 when PS3 was released, Sony’s sold 1.36 million units, compared to 2.8 million Wiis in the same period. So Sony is scrambling for other revenue streams.

In Japan, the matchup between the two domestic rivals has been anything but close. A Japanese publishing company tracking sales revealed yesterday that the Wii had outsold PS3 by six to one.

Sony’s in a tough spot, but by adopting a strategy of more product placement, won’t it just turn off the very customers the company’s trying to woo?
http://thebrowser.blogs.fortune.com/...sers/#comments
Old 07-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts

Sony beating a zombie horse.

When games that are worth owning come out, it'll be a good indication of if buying a PS3 is worth it.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:11 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Hey Sony,

If you're reading this, you just lost a bunch of customers. Including this one, a former PS1/PS2 owner and almost PSP/PS3 owner. I almost bought a PS3 so I could get GT5, but Forza 2 is loads of fun so it doesn't even matter anymore. I'll make sure to tell my relatives, friends and coworkers about your little plan. H.A.N.D.

Sincerely,

We, the people of U.S.A.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
It's amazing, the only people I hear complaining about the games on the PS3 are the people who haven't played most of them. I'm perfectly content with the 6 I own....and by the time I'm ready for more the games I want comming out will be out

That said, this issue doesn't bother me at all. But, I am most likely picking up a Wii once my poker checks come in

GT5, forza 2, yada, yada, yada. you like what you like.

And apparently, now some kid from San Jose talks for the whole United States of America.

It's funny how on all the forums I'm on you see some Xbox guys saying why it's not worth it to buy a PS3, and how it's crap, yada yada yada. But you rarely see it the other way. Hell when you ask most of the guys what they've played on the PS3..they become silent.

And, do you guys really consider the Wii in the same class as the 360 or the PS3?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I have my 360, and I don't really play video games that much, so I won't plan on buying a PS3 most likely, unless I win the lottery.

But I think the Wii is a different kind of system. The only games I have played are the sports games, and I think it is fun how you move the controller to bowl or play tennis etc.. But it isn't the same as playing GOW with a controller. FYI I got the 360 for GOW, and I love the game, but I am so terrible online that it is no fun for me.

I do enjoy Topspin 2 for the 360 though, and I just got guitar hero II.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Who said PS3 games suck? I didn't say so. The reviews definitely don't say so either. Think about it though. Sony isn't trying to sell more consoles, they're trying to make more money, at our expense. How much is your privacy worth? Yes its logical to somehow make a profit but at this point they're not actively trying to sell more of their product, they're trying to keep it afloat so it doesn't burn a hole in their wallets.

Of course everyone wants to justify their purchase of a game console by saying it has great games and by putting down other people. No one's going to plop down $600 and want to regret their investment - they'll try to back it as best they can. I've played Motorstorm, Madden 07 and RFOM and they're great games. And Ninja Gaiden Sigma is definitely a must-buy.

I just see this as a desperate ploy to make more money. Its almost like rebates, the company is just trying to take advantage of the consumer in order to make more money. Do I like rebates? No. Do I like spyware? No.

The way the article is written makes it seem worse than it sounds, i.e. the title and all. But is anyone going to sell their PS3 over this? No, not for that single reason alone. But this is just another reason that could potentially push away some PS3 buyers. No kidding, I still play my PS2 once in a while. At times I liked it more than my Xbox. Its just that I haven't found a reason to buy a PS3 yet. And if you're assuming that there aren't Sony-backers out there bashing the Wii/360, you are really misinformed.

The Wii is fun, just got one but haven't gotten a chance to play other games. Its definitely a multiplayer-oriented console. Great to play with a bunch of people in the room, albeit dangerous.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:41 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Who said PS3 games suck? I didn't say so. The reviews definitely don't say so either..
the post above you
Old 07-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,952 Likes on 5,550 Posts
BFD.... did you all forget that Nielsen tracks you already??????
Old 07-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Yes, he did that

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
BFD.... did you all forget that Nielsen tracks you already??????

Everyone's information is sold all the time, even your credit bureau's sell them.