Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Resident Evil 4 - Green Catseye

Old 04-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Because Of You

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resident Evil 4 - Green Catseye

Hi,

I am confused. The very first puzzle is pretty straight forward (match the symbol). But I don't understand why I need to press "3" 7 times and "4" 5 times and then "3" once for the Dial next to the Church to get the Green Catseye.

What is the logic behind that puzzle?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,949 Likes on 14,062 Posts
Originally Posted by bz268
Hi,

I am confused. The very first puzzle is pretty straight forward (match the symbol). But I don't understand why I need to press "3" 7 times and "4" 5 times and then "3" once for the Dial next to the Church to get the Green Catseye.

What is the logic behind that puzzle?
The solution to that puzzle is from the graveyard...
Examine them: 3 of them are twin graves, and have distinctive sigils.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator

And if you're just there, you have a long ways to go!

Pretty good game...and definitely not easy.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Because Of You

Thanks.

So, the puzzles do have some "logical" solutions.

I've reached the lake and trying to kill the big fish thingie!!!

I am new to the PS2. (played RE2 and3 in my PC) I have been playing this for 7 hours straight without reading the FAQ (except this one next to the church) !!!! hahaha!!
Old 04-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks.

So, the puzzles do have some "logical" solutions.

I've reached the lake and trying to kill the big fish thingie!!!

I am new to the PS2. (played RE2 and3 in my PC) I have been playing this for 7 hours straight without reading the FAQ (except this one next to the church) !!!! hahaha!!
Ah. Well, I think all the puzzles are pretty straightforward and don't need much assistance...just be ready to die a few times.

As for the giant salamander in the water, you shouldn't find him too hard...! Good luck.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Smoke free since 2/26/07

I know I'm very late on this, but I just got this game for Cube. Is it really as good as people say it is?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Agent 47
I know I'm very late on this, but I just got this game for Cube. Is it really as good as people say it is?
It's a good game.

Decent storyline...and long and fairly challenging. It'll keep you occupied for days.

My gripe for all RE games has always been the tank-like controls for the characters, I hate it. But, then again, according to the game designers, it's that way as part of the "challenge". If the game had "Ninja Gaiden" or "Devil May Cry" control schemes, it'd be too easy apparently.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
yup the best re and i played all the main re games
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shoulda waited for the Wii version. I could never get past the first village area in teh cube version becaus eI couldn't aim fast enough to take out the villagers, and just kept getting screwed.

maybe I will be able to handle it with the pointer shooting in the wii version.
Senior Moderator

^ And for me, this game is not so much scary as it's "stressful"...and you guys may know what I mean as you get further into the game.

Then again, I'm not sure how brave you are, Agent 47...you do carry a purse after all.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ghost_masterCL
shoulda waited for the Wii version. I could never get past the first village area in teh cube version becaus eI couldn't aim fast enough to take out the villagers, and just kept getting screwed.

maybe I will be able to handle it with the pointer shooting in the wii version.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Smoke free since 2/26/07

Originally Posted by Yumchah
^ And for me, this game is not so much scary as it's "stressful"...and you guys may know what I mean as you get further into the game.

Then again, I'm not sure how brave you are, Agent 47...you do carry a purse after all.
lol, I will make sure to have my Optimus Prime action figure around when I'm playing through the game...

I've beaten all of the RE games except for the Nemesis one. I have to agree with you that the "Tank-like" control is something I wish they can get rid of. As matter of fact, both RE and the Silent Hill series need to revamp their control scheme. So damn frustrating...
Old 04-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Senior Moderator

lol, I will make sure to have my Optimus Prime action figure around when I'm playing through the game...

I've beaten all of the RE games except for the Nemesis one. I have to agree with you that the "Tank-like" control is something I wish they can get rid of. As matter of fact, both RE and the Silent Hill series need to revamp their control scheme. So damn frustrating...
And oh, the shotgun in this game is your absolute best friend...followed closely by the rocket-launcher.

Yep, rocket-launcher. I think over the course of the game, I've used that puppy (one shot only and rebought each time) about 5 times.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Smoke free since 2/26/07

One thing I WISH they would do for all RE series: A code or a way to play through the game with unlimited ammo for all weapons once you enter the code or beaten the game!
Old 04-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

One thing I WISH they would do for all RE series: A code or a way to play through the game with unlimited ammo for all weapons once you enter the code or beaten the game!
Heh...but, I think that would totally defeat the point of the "survival-horror" genre type game. This is not a button-mashing arcadey game.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Smoke free since 2/26/07

hey, yummy, I see that you're a big gamer. Do you post on IGN.com?

<-- Been at IGN since 2k1.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Smoke free since 2/26/07

By the way, do you play CS1.6? If so, log on tonight. Watch me take S14 to school =X
Old 04-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Senior Moderator

hey, yummy, I see that you're a big gamer. Do you post on IGN.com?

<-- Been at IGN since 2k1.
Well, on and off...

I do have alot of games but I'm almost in the hoard-game mode nowadays. If I play too much, I'm liable to get into the GF's dawghouse for not spending enough time with her and etc.

Still currently working on "Castlevania: Curse of Darkness"...which is driving me batty because the stealing mechanism is owning for a few of the enemies which I need stuff from.

Oh and tangent aside, no, I'm not on IGN.com...
Old 04-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Smoke free since 2/26/07

Well, on and off...

I do have alot of games but I'm almost in the hoard-game mode nowadays. If I play too much, I'm liable to get into the GF's dawghouse for not spending enough time with her and etc.

Still currently working on "Castlevania: Curse of Darkness"...which is driving me batty because the stealing mechanism is owning for a few of the enemies which I need stuff from.

Oh and tangent aside, no, I'm not on IGN.com...
I envy those days when I was a kid how I was able to just sit down and play and play for hours straight. Nowadays, it's either the gf, school, work or other real life related issues.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Senior Moderator

By the way, do you play CS1.6? If so, log on tonight. Watch me take S14 to school =X
Oof no. The last FPS game I was nuts for was UT2K4...I've kinda sworn off of online gaming just so that I don't get hooked onto it.

<---- I was quite the Starcraft and Quake nut back in University...
Old 04-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I dont know why you guys are complaining about the controls when I love RE4 controls, but I have the old way of controls. But I must say that the Gamecube version controls better than the ps2 because I do not like how it feels. @Ghost_MasterCL I think you just need to get better at playing the game because the first level is really easy.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Because Of You

Have you guys played Lego Star War (I and II) or God of War (I and II)?

Are they just another hack-and-slash game?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Safety Car

Sorry, couldn't resist.
yeah I know.. I only tried 3 or 4 times though and gave up, and returned it. I just couldn't get used to not being able to move when shooting.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AznImports602
I dont know why you guys are complaining about the controls when I love RE4 controls, but I have the old way of controls. But I must say that the Gamecube version controls better than the ps2 because I do not like how it feels. @Ghost_MasterCL I think you just need to get better at playing the game because the first level is really easy.
I don't know what it was, but I just kept running adn shooting, adn running and shooting, and they never stopped coming, adn I just ran out of ammo and was fucked. headshots wouldn't even take them down.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Senior Moderator

I don't know what it was, but I just kept running adn shooting, adn running and shooting, and they never stopped coming, adn I just ran out of ammo and was fucked. headshots wouldn't even take them down.
Well, I wouldn't totally agree with what AznImports602 said. The beginning is doable but it's not easy...in many ways kinda like "Ninja Gaiden" for Xbox, the game basically just throws you into it...there's really no easing you in. In that first stage, basically, it's knowing when to run and also, where to go as your ammo depletes.

I recommend you pick it up again when it comes out for the Wii...it's a pretty worthwhile game to finish.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:10 AM
1999 CL3.0

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
great game.

enjoy
Old 04-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Safety Car

Well, I wouldn't totally agree with what AznImports602 said. The beginning is doable but it's not easy...in many ways kinda like "Ninja Gaiden" for Xbox, the game basically just throws you into it...there's really no easing you in. In that first stage, basically, it's knowing when to run and also, where to go as your ammo depletes.

I recommend you pick it up again when it comes out for the Wii...it's a pretty worthwhile game to finish.
yeah, that was the plan. Maybe I'll do a bit better since I will eb able to snap off head shots, or leg shots much faster with the wii remote.

btw, in that first part, do you have to kill them all or do they eventually give up or something like that?

edit: btw, I kicked ass in ninja gaiden on the xbox... at least up until that stupid flying bitch in the cathedral. I gave up adn returned it after the 20th death.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

yeah, that was the plan. Maybe I'll do a bit better since I will eb able to snap off head shots, or leg shots much faster with the wii remote.

btw, in that first part, do you have to kill them all or do they eventually give up or something like that?
Well, I don't remember it very well...but, I remember going into a house and fighting them off and using a grenade when it is the most crowded. The first stage is indeed not easy...but, like I said, it's doable and after a couple of tries, you'll get it. I remember there was a chainsaw guy too...he's the one you must be careful of...

edit: btw, I kicked ass in ninja gaiden on the xbox... at least up until that stupid flying bitch in the cathedral. I gave up adn returned it after the 20th death.
Alma is indeed a bish to fight. She's literally hard enough to represent an end-boss in most games IMO. So, you're not alone when you say you find her hard...I remember being able to beat her buy using the Inferno Ninpo. I recall it took out chunks of her energy...
Old 04-19-2007, 01:18 AM
Safety Car

Well, I don't remember it very well...but, I remember going into a house and fighting them off and using a grenade when it is the most crowded. The first stage is indeed not easy...but, like I said, it's doable and after a couple of tries, you'll get it. I remember there was a chainsaw guy too...he's the one you must be careful of...

Alma is indeed a bish to fight. She's literally hard enough to represent an end-boss in most games IMO. So, you're not alone when you say you find her hard...I remember being able to beat her buy using the Inferno Ninpo. I recall it took out chunks of her energy...
well it'll oinly be $30 on the wii, so can't go wrong with that.

as for alma, I probbaly would have been alright, but I kept overwriting my saves, and I saved at a point that wouldn't let me go backwards to get any health "potions", and I only had 1, which most definitely was not enough for her fight, so I decided to load up my most recent save before going back into the cathedral, and it was a good 2 hours of gameply before alma.

that's when I decided to just return it.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

well it'll oinly be $30 on the wii, so can't go wrong with that.

as for alma, I probbaly would have been alright, but I kept overwriting my saves, and I saved at a point that wouldn't let me go backwards to get any health "potions", and I only had 1, which most definitely was not enough for her fight, so I decided to load up my most recent save before going back into the cathedral, and it was a good 2 hours of gameply before alma.

that's when I decided to just return it.
Sounds good! You should finish RE4...as it's a rite of manhood.

But, if you want the ultimate rite of manliness, you'll march back to whatever store you go to for games and buy back NG. Finishing that will put hair on your chest and grow your dingdongs at least 40 inches.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Racer

SPOILERS COMING UP

It took me a few times to get through the same part. I had to cheat to get through it. You basically have to just survive it until the bell tolls and calls all the zombies away. If you go into the two story house with the shot gun and jump out the window with the ladder and go to the small house across it on the left, you simply corner yourself in this one room and keep blasting them away with the shotgun until they leave. There is shot gun ammo in there and you should wait for a whole bunch of zombies surround you before blasting the shotgun to take a few of them out at the same time.

Also note that by going to the house with the shotgun, it triggers the man with the chainsaw to come. You will have to deal with him but he's no problem if you do what I said above. If you kill him you get alot of money. Just be sure to grab it before the bell tolls.

Anyway, I love RE4. It's my favorite game. Except for Twilight Priness, it's been the only game I have completed in a long time (since high school probably). It's got alot of great elements to keep you entertained throughout the entire game. I actually like the controls. I think part of the suspense will be lost if you could run and shoot at the same time. It's definitely better than the previous RE games. I have RE4 for both Gamecube and PS2. I have yet to go through the PS2 one but I will get the Wii version as well. The Wii version it seems will be the same as the PS2 so I may never actually finish playing the PS2 version.

The Wii version should hold me over until Umbrella Chronicles comes out. I probably should go out and get the other RE titles before that comes out so I know the whole story. I have RE1 for the cube but was way too scared to play it. I saw my first zombie and I turned it off. lol. Now after going through RE4, I should have the balls to play the others. This thread is tempting me to play RE1 right now. Hmmm...I better wait for the wife to get home. Haha.

Actually, in RE4 there are a couple of guns you could get after you beaten the game that gives you unlimited ammo. One is the infinite rocket launcher, and the other is the tommy gun (forgot what it's called). You've got to buy them though. They are like a million bucks each. Although they say if you beat the final boss without using the rocket launcher, you get to keep it when you start the game again and this time it has infinite ammo. I'm not sure if it actually works as I did keep the rocket launcher but I tried using it the second round through and I was only able to use it once.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Smoke free since 2/26/07

^^ Thanks for the answer.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Because Of You

I managed to bring back the girl and I was in the house with the other guy gunning down the zombies!!!

I was trying half an hour to kill the big monster after I came back from the lake. I didn't make it... with my guns... So, I reloaded the game and sold everything enough to get the Rocket Launcher. This WAS SO MUCH EASY with the RL!!! Hahaha!

I need to buy Metal Slug Anthology... That is exactly the problem!!! They have Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii too. I need to stop keep buying stuffs for the PS2!!!!

Better buy a Wii and buy RE4 and Metal Slug Anthology instead. Right? What is your opinion???
Old 04-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Senior Moderator

I managed to bring back the girl and I was in the house with the other guy gunning down the zombies!!!

I was trying half an hour to kill the big monster after I came back from the lake. I didn't make it... with my guns... So, I reloaded the game and sold everything enough to get the Rocket Launcher. This WAS SO MUCH EASY with the RL!!! Hahaha!

I need to buy Metal Slug Anthology... That is exactly the problem!!! They have Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii too. I need to stop keep buying stuffs for the PS2!!!!

Better buy a Wii and buy RE4 and Metal Slug Anthology instead. Right? What is your opinion???

You used the launcher on the troll...?

Wow...never saw it that way. If you freed the dog earlier in the village, it'll help you in this fight. The dog will distract it while you shoot it's head...once you hit it enough times, a parasite will pop out of its back and then you jump on and slash. Eventually, it'll ignore the dog to chase you and then you can use the trees to avoid it.

But, fine...use the rocket launcher; however, keep in mind that you do need your weapons and extra $$$...
Old 04-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Because Of You

I had no ammo. I wasted them all in the dock.
I just realized that NOT TO SHOOT THE HEAD OF THE ZOMBIES!!!

I didn't know that until now. It was fun shooting heads in the beginning of the game. what a tricky game!!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 02:20 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I had no ammo. I wasted them all in the dock.
I just realized that NOT TO SHOOT THE HEAD OF THE ZOMBIES!!!

I didn't know that until now. It was fun shooting heads in the beginning of the game. what a tricky game!!!!

LOL, noob! I'm sorry I just had to say that, no offense... Have you ever tried running away from certain monster instead of shooting them all down? and if you have problems with one Troll wait till later...
Old 04-22-2007, 02:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AznImports602
LOL, noob! I'm sorry I just had to say that, no offense... Have you ever tried running away from certain monster instead of shooting them all down? and if you have problems with one Troll wait till later...
Well, later it's really just one...since you literally cook one in fire.