Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

PC: Aion

Old 08-08-2009, 06:08 PM
wat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PC: Aion

Well the closed beta was short-lived, but I liked the game enough that I downloaded the free Chinese version and installed an English language pack.

The premise behind it is two factions, one of angels (Elyos) and one of demons (Asmodians) who are both at war with the Bauler.

The game is pretty damn fun. The only other graphic-based MMO I've played is WoW, so that's all I have to compare it to. Furthermore, there have been no content patches released to the Chinese version, so there are fewer quests and more grinding required level per level than the release in North America.

Many of the commands, even the UI is very similiar to WoW. It's obvious even at an early level that this game is ultimately geared towards PvP and not PvE (for example, you can eat/drink to regen health or mana in combat).

The movement is a little different than WoW; it isn't quite as linear or as smooth. I'm not sure if that is due in part to the lag received from playing in Chinese servers, but I felt the same way even during the closed beta.

One of the pretty awesome features is the ability (at level 10) to fly. The downside of this is that most of the levelling areas I have encountered so far are off-limits to flying. So you're essentially running, a lot. I'm not sure how this will change as the level advances.

I'm almost level 20 now, and apparently the PvP picks up once you're around level 25. I was never a huge fan of the ganking that accompanied WoW servers, so we'll see how I handle it.

For now, a screenshot I took right after I got my wings (I'm an Asmodian, the Elyos have white/angelic looking wings):

I've already pre-ordered the Collector's Edition through Steam, so I'll definitely be playing this when the NA version is released (September 22nd!).

Last edited by bugeye; 08-08-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Interesting..
Old 08-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Hmmm...
Old 08-08-2009, 07:09 PM
wat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The combat system is based on 'chains.'

Instead of determining an order in which to use your abilities to optimize DPS, the game determines it for you.

You use an ability, and the next ability you should use flashes on your screen (see below). You don't have to follow the order, but you'll do better damage if you do. Sometimes there is more than one finishing move available for a chain.

It's a bit more interactive than WoW's combat system.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Sounds like the fellowship combos from Lord of the Rings online (an excellent alternative to WoW by the way)
Old 08-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
these games bore me.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks cool! Now if only there were more hours in a day