Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Next Gen Console Analyses(Long Post Warning)

Old 04-04-2005, 10:21 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Next Gen Console Analyses(Long Post Warning)

I think times will change with the next gen consoles and the gen after that. What i mean is that Nintendo and Sega once held the ranks as the best in the Industry and they both have failed to own the recent market. That doesnt mean they make bad systems though. The Saturn was always said to have more power than the PSOne, but programming on it was hard, and the dev kits that Sega Provided to the developers were bare bones. Nintendo could have owned the Market even with the PSOne out, because it had a more loyal fan base. The SNES was still killing the PSOne in Holiday game sales for 2 years even though some SNES game cartridges were 80 bucks. The N took a turn for the worse when Nintendo announced that the "Project64" was going to be cartridge base. At that point a lot of developers jumped ship to Sony and Nintendo lost the support it once had. Now look at the dreamcast, it may be gone, but not forgotten. It has a cult like following with Japanese games still being released for it. As for the gamecube, what can i say? Nintendo missed the mark by making a game system only. People want so much more for their money these days, not making the system DVD compatible was a just reason for people to not want the system. Also the controller is so akwardly laid out that a person has to relearn how to play the same game they may have mastered on another system. Nintendo messed up by catering the controller for it's style of games, rather than remembering the 3rd party companies that were making games also. But nintendo didnt plan on getting many 3rd party developers did it, they lost most of them when they decided go cartridge on the N64 as stated above. Fast foward to now, when all the talks are on XBOX2/Next, PS3, and N-Revolution. Sony and Microsft have made tons of announcments regarding their respective projects, but Nintendo has stayed quiet, giving out little tidbits here and there. I feel that this time aorund Nintendo will pull out all the stops in order to not only make a great system, but to also get back it's third party because, lets face it, Mario and Metroid are great, but not everyone loves them. This Next gen race will still end with sony edging out Microsoft because of its larger fan base and brand loyalty. PSOne and 2 fans are like the SNES fans of yesteryear and that is why the PS3 will be succesful, not to mention exclusive titles and the great games we can expect. I feel that not in this upcoming war, but in the next, Nintendo will either be back to it's roots and develop a huge fan base once again, or go the way of Sega. And going the way of Sega isnt a bad idea sicne Sega makes some awesome games. Microsoft will be there battling with Sony, and for some reason i have a fealing that the XBOX will stick around for some time. These next 10 years of Video games will be interesting. 10 Years ago nobody would imagine that the XBOX would be here and that Sega would be Gone. there never has been room for more than 2 consoles, so we shall see if Nintendo goes software only and if a new contender decides to jump in. It shall be good. Sorry for the long post.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:28 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
I think you need to learn more regarding Sony/Nintendo and what happened and why Sony even entered the game market to begin with.

Also the nintendo controller comment....the gamecube controller remains to this day to be one of the best designed and functional controllers out there. I miss it, but a controller was not enough to get me to keep my cube in the long run.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i refuse to read that.. There ENTER key was placed on the keyboard for usage........
Old 04-04-2005, 10:41 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Originally Posted by sarlacc23
I think you need to learn more regarding Sony/Nintendo and what happened and why Sony even entered the game market to begin with.

Also the nintendo controller comment....the gamecube controller remains to this day to be one of the best designed and functional controllers out there. I miss it, but a controller was not enough to get me to keep my cube in the long run.
I dont need to be educated, i know about Sony and Nintendo planning on making a cd ad-on for the snes, they even wanted to make a system together, but it didnt work out and the PSOne was born. I am not talking about the History of games, i am talking about the progression of companies.

And for the controller, just because it feals great in your hand and works great for games that are made specifically for it, doesnt mean its a great controller. I can play Soul Caliber on the PS2 and still kick as on the Xbox, but when I play it on the gamecube i am lost. I am not the only one who feels the gamecube controller sux at anything not made for it. I never said it was a bad system. i am rooting for nintendo.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:41 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Originally Posted by Zapata
i refuse to read that.. There ENTER key was placed on the keyboard for usage........
It looks ok on my screen. Just give it a read it will kill a few minutes.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:46 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
You need to know history to know progression.

Nintendo pretty much screwed Sony which is why sony went ahead and made a system based on their development with nintendo. Sony was out to bury nintendo. And they've done a good job.

I've been a nintendo loyalist since the days of the pocket and watch games pre- console systems. But have currently made the switch to Xbox. And I dont see myself going back unless nintendo really ups the ante and gets developers backs.

If nintendo bombs the next console, they are gone...cept for possibly making games like sega....they will stick with focusing on the handheld market.....which they may have just totally lost as well, thanks to the PSP...again Sony looking to crush nintendo.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:53 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Dude, what i did was just give a brief history on nintendo's and sega's sytems, not why Sony made the Playstation. The point i am trying to make is that every 2 generations or so compsnies that were on top move down the ranks until they're gone. Nintendo owns the portable market for now, but they are not where they were when the snes was around. Atari owned the market for a few years, but where are they now. Sega was a major player with the Genesis, but they are making software now, Nintendo pointed in that direction with the gamecube, but i feel they will suprise everyone with their new unit. At least i hope they do, because they cant afford another gamecube. I am not debating here, i am just saying that Nintendo has to come strong to get back what they once had. Like i said it should be interesting how the war pans out.

Last edited by bigman; 04-04-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigman
It looks ok on my screen. Just give it a read it will kill a few minutes.

my eyes lol i'll increase the font size....
Old 04-04-2005, 12:13 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Originally Posted by Zapata
my eyes
Just hold the CTRL button while scrolling the mouse wheel. It will be easier to read you old fart.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Cliff Notes?
Old 04-04-2005, 12:58 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Cliff Notes?
AHHHH Damn you all :surrender