Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Microsoft’s Wii-killer?!?!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:15 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Microsoft’s Wii-killer?!?!

The Nintendo Wii won’t be the only family-friendly game console on store shelves this holiday season. On Tuesday, Microsoft unveiled the Xbox 360 Arcade, its answer to the hot-selling Wii.

The $280 Arcade is relatively cheap (like the Wii), has a wireless controller (like the Wii), and comes with a packaged set of games (like the Wii). The new, low-end Xbox is also being heavily marketed as the “family-friendly” gaming machine. But will the Arcade capture the same audience as the Wii?

“Breaking through will be difficult. I think Nintendo’s got that crowd nailed,” says IDC analyst Billy Pidgeon. “Microsoft can widen its demographics, but it’s still identified as being part of the traditional core gaming demographic. Nintendo’s done a great job stepping outside that market.” Pidgeon called the Arcade “an aspirational product” for younger kids who want an Xbox because the older, cooler kids play the console.

Nintendo has admitted that it won’t be able to ship enough of its $249 consoles to meet U.S. demand this holiday season. But a competitively-priced Xbox Arcade may not win over consumers holding out for a Wii, says Pidgeon. “I can see some people settling for the 360, but it’s still $30 more. And for the mass market, that can be a big factor.”

Microsoft’s (MSFT) move to capture a broader audience comes amid the company’s campaign to position itself as the premier console for hard-core gamers. Last month’s release of Halo 3 helped push Xbox sales ahead of the Wii in September. It was the first time this year that the Xbox beat the Wii in a single month.

But the mass appeal of the Wii and software titles like Guitar Hero have begun to change the landscape of the console market. Xbox has built its success as the console of choice for hard-core gamers with a lineup of titles like Madden NFL 07, Halo 3, Bioshock and the highly-anticipated Mass Effect, due out in November. Now the software giant is going after the masses by packaging classics like Uno, Pac-Man Championship Edition and Boom Boom Rocket into the Arcade.

“Microsoft knows it has to have a broader church,” says David Gosen, CEO of mobile gaming company I-Play, who previously ran the marketing and sales division of Nintendo Europe. “They’re looking at other content like TV and casual games. They’re waking up to be mass market versus niche market.”
Old 10-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I just made a reference to this in the Official xbox thread.

I'll probably pick one up to replace my defective 360 if I can move my hard drive over to this new unit. Also, I wonder if it's going to use the 65nm mfg process. I would definitely like the HDMI.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,941 Likes on 14,057 Posts
If they think it's just packaging some cutesy games is the winning formula to beat the Wii, then I think the MS management needs to kick out the Ford-esque people who're marketing this.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:15 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Without the interactive remotes, it is shit...That is the beauty of the Wii....
Old 10-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Without the interactive remotes, it is shit...That is the beauty of the Wii....
Ding-ding-ding! Someone give Whiskers a cookie!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Ding-ding-ding! Someone give Whiskers a cookie!
Trying to kill me?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:32 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

I don't think MS thinks this is direct competition to the wii....but rather an alternative.
I think they are trying to capitalize on the lack of wii's on the market come the holiday season, combined with a new Xbox 360 lower price, combined with a kid friendly arcade game package.

It's pretty good marketing.

There is no way this is a direct alternative to the wii, but when there is no wii to be had, and all the other consoles are big $$$....you will buy your kid this......and MS will have another Xbox 360 sold.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
I don't think MS thinks this is direct competition to the wii....but rather an alternative.
I think they are trying to capitalize on the lack of wii's on the market come the holiday season, combined with a new Xbox 360 lower price, combined with a kid friendly arcade game package.

It's pretty good marketing.

There is no way this is a direct alternative to the wii, but when there is no wii to be had, and all the other consoles are big $$$....you will buy your kid this......and MS will have another Xbox 360 sold.
Well, g'luck to MS.

The games are totally different as well. If a little kid is hoping for a Mario or Link game and gets a 360 which offers none and can't even do the motion-movement controllers, he or she is going to be one disappointed child. I'm not hating but, I don't see how this is a Wii-killer (as per your title).
Old 10-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Like, the GF quite enjoys the Wii...so, if I were to say pick up the MS Arcade set instead and went "Here, honey...here's um, that video game system you like as a Xmas gift..." and hope she be alright with an "acceptable" alternative...

Yeah, that dawghouse is going to be a cold place in -50 with windchill.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:07 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Well, g'luck to MS.

The games are totally different as well. If a little kid is hoping for a Mario or Link game and gets a 360 which offers none and can't even do the motion-movement controllers, he or she is going to be one disappointed child. I'm not hating but, I don't see how this is a Wii-killer (as per your title).
Sets trap a second time...Yummy falls victim to it again
Again...not my title....See Fortune Magazine.
http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.co...azines_fortune

The young kids don't buy the wii's and the xbox 360's the 'rents do.
The "strategy" is when said "rents head out to buy the holiday gifts....and the wii is on the list....'rents can't find wii because they are not in stock.....'rents see the new cheap xbox 360 with kid friendly games.....'rents buy xbox 360 so kids are not crying about not getting a vid console.

The other side of the marketing is dropping the price of a stripped down 360 just in time for the holidays.....thus taking more wind out of Sony's sails.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

^

Well, if you get kicks outta baiting people, mebbe you should stop trolling...?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^

Well, if you get kicks outta baiting people, mebbe you should stop trolling...?
meh.... I just love bringing the Sony fan-boy within you to the surface :wink:
Old 10-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

meh.... I just love bringing the Sony fan-boy within you to the surface :wink:
Dude...you reallllly need to get over that.

I don't mind being the butt-end of your jokes (i.e. Michael Bay-ism which is absolutely getting stupid esp. when all I said was give the movie a chance), but repeatedly saying something that is not true needs to end at some point, yes?

And no, I'm not going to say again how I don't give a flying fawk which system manufacturer is better. Then again, perhaps it's the American in you that doesn't read or listen...?

Oh PS, I'm a fanboy of ONLY 3 (count 'em!!! THREE! SAN! TROIS!) makers: Aston Martin, Bandai, and Hugo Boss...So, if you really want to be accurate about any fanboyism in me, please accuse me of the right products going forward, mkay? Thanks.

Last edited by Yumcha; 10-24-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:35 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Dude...you reallllly need to get over that.

I don't mind being the butt-end of your jokes (i.e. Michael Bay-ism which is absolutely getting stupid esp. when all I said was give the movie a chance), but repeatedly saying something that is not true needs to end at some point, yes?

And no, I'm not going to say again how I don't give a flying fawk which system manufacturer is better. Then again, perhaps it's the American in you that doesn't read or listen...?

Oh PS, I'm a fanboy of ONLY 3 (count 'em!!! THREE! SAN! TROIS!) makers: Aston Martin, Bandai, and Hugo Boss...So, if you really want to be accurate about any fanboyism in me, please accuse me of the right products going forward, mkay? Thanks.
So easy to get your panies in a bunch. :gheylaugh:

You know us Americans...we can't hear you Canadians. :wink:
Old 10-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Senior Moderator

So easy to get your panies in a bunch. :gheylaugh:

You know us Americans...we can't hear you Canadians. :wink:
Hey, no worries...I can do exactly what you're doing repeatedly too for months on end.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:41 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Hey, no worries...I can do exactly what you're doing repeatedly too for months on end.
Isn't that business as usual?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Isn't that business as usual?
What? Baiting a person repeatedly and using the same insults?

Howabout change the tune of Sony and Bay to Gundam and Hugo Boss for the next while? I promise, when you return to the Sony-Bay combo in half a year, I'll take it way better. Honest.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:48 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

What? Baiting a person repeatedly and using the same insults?

Howabout change the tune of Sony and Bay to Gundam and Hugo Boss for the next while? I promise, when you return to the Sony-Bay combo in half a year, I'll take it way better. Honest.
No bait...the "trap" was a joke....you just thought again that it was "my" bias.

I'll stick to Kings>Hawks
Old 10-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator

No bait...the "trap" was a joke....you just thought again that it was "my" bias.

I'll stick to Kings>Hawks
Thanks.

But, at the present course, I think I like the Hawks chances to be > Kings.

But, I'm not going to talk much about your Kings for now...I'm getting ready to ask CleanCL HOW'RE THOSE RANGERS!??!?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:56 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Thanks.

But, at the present course, I think I like the Hawks chances to be > Kings.

But, I'm not going to talk much about your Kings for now...I'm getting ready to ask CleanCL HOW'RE THOSE RANGERS!??!?
Don't look now, but the Kings are on a roll...6-0 win over the Preds.

@ CleanCL and the Rangers